New monitors [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New monitors

SpankingVanillaice
03-14-2008, 05:49 AM
I currently own the M-Audio AV-30 monitors and they have really good low end and clear highs. Also the good part is that these are for professionals and for consumers like me. Meaning they can be both used for studio monitoring or just for music listening like how I use them for.

What I like the best about M-Audio monitors is that they have alot of protections like these: "RF interference, output current limiting, over temperature, turn on/off transient, subsonic filter".

The best part is that they have a protection called output current limiting so no matter how loud you turn them up they won't damage the cones. I have turned my monitors full blast and still they work perfectly fine. I know someone has done the same thing with other M-Audio monitors and they say the same thing. Of cource at high volumes they will sound distorted but I don't ever have to worry about the monitors getting damaged. :)

Here are some specs for the AV-30 monitors.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileAV30-main.html

noddin0ff
03-14-2008, 07:01 AM
Glad you found audio happiness at last!

Who is your new avatar?

GMichael
03-14-2008, 07:03 AM

Who is your new avatar?

Looks like Adam on a day without his PMS.

basite
03-14-2008, 08:12 AM

let's hope it lasts longer this time... :D

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Ajani
03-14-2008, 10:36 AM
let's hope it lasts longer this time... :D

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

I wouldn't bet on it.....

SpankingVanillaice
03-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Well remember I didn't say I' am happy with them I just said they sounded good so that doesn't mean forsure I' am keeping them since acutaly I still like those Philips MMS321 speakers since they look really cool and nice.

basite
03-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Well remember I didn't say I' am happy with them I just said they sounded good so that doesn't mean forsure I' am keeping them since acutaly I still like those Philips MMS321 speakers since they look really cool and nice.

choose something you like and are happy with. not something that 'is here for a while until I find something else I like a little'.

SlumpBuster
03-14-2008, 01:07 PM
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/nocheesetonight/2096002920102769460s425x425q85.jpg

SpankingVanillaice
03-14-2008, 03:35 PM
I did actualy returned the AV-30 and got the Philips MMS321 and I forgot how good these sounded they actualy were more cleaner sound than the AV-30 was which is very interesting. Ya I have been thinking since the past to get these again since they are soo cool looking and plus you don't need a subwoofer because it has that Powerful bass pressure drivers and Philips Bass Radiators.

N. Abstentia
03-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Those are crap you should get some Dell computer speakers they sound crisp and clear highs but not many people know about them because they are a big secret but they sound crisp with good bass and nice high you can get them on ebay because they are a secret but very popular for studios because they sound so clear and crisp everything else is crap compared to them.

basite
03-15-2008, 02:31 AM
*bangs head against the wall*

audio amateur
03-15-2008, 02:43 AM
Those are crap you should get some Dell computer speakers they sound crisp and clear highs but not many people know about them because they are a big secret but they sound crisp with good bass and nice high you can get them on ebay because they are a secret but very popular for studios because they sound so clear and crisp everything else is crap compared to them.
That's a pretty darn good impersonation I must admit

MikeyBC
03-15-2008, 12:28 PM
plus you don't need a subwoofer because it has that Powerful bass pressure drivers and Philips Bass Radiators.

Uhmmm....Yeah. :shocked:

filecat13
03-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Whenever I go into a recording studio, they always have some "fake" monitors like TAD, Westlake, or JBL to impress the artists, but once the talent leaves, they uncover the Phillips monitors hidden inside the fake cabinets to do the actual final mastering. This is a well-know secret to insiders, but Phillips is restricted by international trade laws from revealing this to the general public for fear of the collapse of the established monitor market.

However, it's only a matter of time before the public becomes aware of the Phillips Bass Radiator cover-up and rebels against the high-priced fraud perpetuated by the government in collusion with the speaker manufacturers lobby. :crazy:

audio amateur
03-16-2008, 03:44 AM
I seriously get a kick outta this every single time... You deserve a medal. :thumbsup:

Feanor
03-16-2008, 05:19 AM
*bangs head against the wall*

SVI likes swapping speakers. If he really wanted to settle down with some thing, he would go for these Genelec 8250A (http://www.genelecusa.com/products/2-way-monitors/8250a/#)'s and be done with it.

The Genelecs are "a little more money" (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/8250A/) but would do the job. On the other hand what fun would there be in that? Sometimes it's the journey, not the destination.
:23:

basite
03-16-2008, 10:54 AM
On the other hand what fun would there be in that? Sometimes it's the journey, not the destination.
:23:

the difference lies in the journey...

normal people make a journey.

SVI is just not making the journey, he doesn't upgrade, he just swaps for something of the same, low quality.

SpankingVanillaice
03-16-2008, 11:37 AM
I can say I got back my M-Audio AV-30 monitors and this time I noticed that they aren't defective like last time so that's good.

N. Abstentia
03-16-2008, 12:38 PM
If you reall want sound good u should hook up all four speakers so you can get 4 times the clearity and bass because you combine the Philips passive pressure bass radiation with the crisp AV-30 that's what they do in real studios but they don't admit it just imagine how good highs that would sound for professionals also.

Ajani
03-16-2008, 01:01 PM
If you reall want sound good u should hook up all four speakers so you can get 4 times the clearity and bass because you combine the Philips passive pressure bass radiation with the crisp AV-30 that's what they do in real studios but they don't admit it just imagine how good highs that would sound for professionals also.

:hand: It's not nice to make fun of mentally retarded forum members, though it sure is funny... :cornut:

MikeyBC
03-17-2008, 10:46 AM

Oh no...I hope this isn't contagious!:smilewinkgrin:......... I've always woundered if forums could be dumbed down by other members.

johnny p
03-17-2008, 12:37 PM
if you spray the woofers with hairspray you get a lot "tighter" bass from them........ give that a whirl.

filecat13
03-17-2008, 01:38 PM
if you spray the woofers with hairspray you get a lot "tighter" bass from them........ give that a whirl.

Be sure to keep it off the tweeters however. Too much "tightening" there and they start to play sharp, like a quarter-step too high.

SpankingVanillaice
03-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Right now I have been using the JBL Spot and I have been testing them to see if I like them. They sound good but I think the Altec Lansing one sounded better in the bass but the highs are much bettter than the Altec lansing one I use to have.

SpankingVanillaice
03-17-2008, 04:14 PM
I can say one thing forsure is that I haven't had JBL speakers for a long time that's forsure.

Here's a link to the JBL Spot speakers I' am using. I got them for $99 pair since they were on clearance.

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=JBLSPOT&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA&cat=MME&ser=SPO

jrhymeammo
03-17-2008, 07:44 PM
I did actualy returned the AV-30 and got the Philips MMS321 and I forgot how good these sounded they actualy were more cleaner sound than the AV-30 was which is very interesting. Ya I have been thinking since the past to get these again since they are soo cool looking and plus you don't need a subwoofer because it has that Powerful bass pressure drivers and Philips Bass Radiators.

Well done!!
They are exactly like Bass radiators offer by Thiel loudspeakers.

For additional $50, you can get a pair of FAL speakers.

http://www.fal.gr.jp/catalog/english/supreme-c90ex.html

audio amateur
03-18-2008, 04:24 AM
I can say one thing forsure is that I haven't had JBL speakers for a long time that's forsure.

Here's a link to the JBL Spot speakers I' am using. I got them for $99 pair since they were on clearance.

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=JBLSPOT&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA&cat=MME&ser=SPO
Do they have crisp clear highs and tight bass that goes low for the size?

N. Abstentia
03-18-2008, 07:20 AM
Do they have crisp clear highs and tight bass that goes low for the size?

Not only that, but I hear pros use them in pro studios for pro studio monitoring in their pro studios because thats where pro singers record in the studio so they sound real natural and play real low they are amazing for their price because they were on sale from ebay!

SpankingVanillaice
03-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Ok right now I' am using the Altec Lansing BXR1121 and the bass on these go much lower than the JBL Spot did. For the price so far these are the best.

audio amateur
03-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Ok right now I' am using the Altec Lansing BXR1121 and the bass on these go much lower than the JBL Spot did. For the price so far these are the best.
I thought the JBL's where supposed be the best, with crispy clear highs, good mids and low bass for the 99$ you paid for them at sears. I guess I'm wrong. So the Altec Lansing with its 2" woofer beats them all then?

SpankingVanillaice
03-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Well the woofer is actualy a 4in on the sub but makes alot of bass for it's size. I can feel the bass on my body when I play music that has alot of low bass.

filecat13
03-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Well the woofer is actualy a 4in on the sub but makes alot of bass for it's size. I can feel the bass on my body when I play music that has alot of low bass.

Eeewww, dude. Too much information. :blush2:

N. Abstentia
03-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Those play real low and crisp highs for their price and the best thing is they sound pro because they have natural plastic enclosure which sounds good because they are for good price on ebay!