Vibration difference between MDF and Melamine particle board? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Vibration difference between MDF and Melamine particle board?

Brett A
03-14-2008, 03:34 AM
So, I've realized the inch-an-a-quarter slabs I've had under my equipment (including my TT) to absorb vibration are actually something that HD sells as "Melamine" which isn't MFD like I thought it was. It seems to have a lower fiber density and is covered with some sort of Formica laminate.
I cut my pieces from an old school desk top (like a big metal-based teacher's desk).

Any idea if this stuff functions well as a vibration absorber, or should I replace it with real MDF?

kexodusc
03-14-2008, 03:50 AM
Vibration absorption is about mass and density - I would use the denser, heavier material to that end.

Melamine is usually the plastic resin part, very hard, that is the "laminate" part of the board itself. A softer particle board, and sometimes MDF is the material in which melamine gets bonded too. Home Depot and the like call the particle board stuff Melamine a lot but it can be pretty confusing trying to decipher what a person means when they are interchaning the nomenclature.

If you've got the particleboard substrate material, then yeah, MDF will be marginally better at absorbing vibrations. Will you notice a difference in sound? Arguable. If you've got a router or jig saw and some scrap MDF, it's a cheap enough experiment.

There shouldn't be melamine and formica on the same board.

Brett A
03-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Vibration absorption is about mass and density - I would use the denser, heavier material to that end.

Melamine is usually the plastic resin part, very hard, that is the "laminate" part of the board itself. A softer particle board, and sometimes MDF is the material in which melamine gets bonded too. Home Depot and the like call the particle board stuff Melamine a lot but it can be pretty confusing trying to decipher what a person means when they are interchaning the nomenclature.

If you've got the particleboard substrate material, then yeah, MDF will be marginally better at absorbing vibrations. Will you notice a difference in sound? Arguable. If you've got a router or jig saw and some scrap MDF, it's a cheap enough experiment.

There shouldn't be melamine and formica on the same board.

Thanks, this is just the info I'm looking for. I agree, calling the board itself melamine is confusing, but that is what HD is doing. I know melamine is a chemical polymer-and I believe the stuff that was turning up in pet food from China last year. Regardless, the stuff you describe is the stuff I have.

Since I seem to have a constant need to tweak (esp. cheaply), I'll replace it with the denser, non-laminated MDF at some point.

Thanks again ---Brett

Feanor
03-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Thanks, this is just the info I'm looking for. I agree, calling the board itself melamine is confusing, but that is what HD is doing. I know melamine is a chemical polymer-and I believe the stuff that was turning up in pet food from China last year. Regardless, the stuff you describe is the stuff I have.

Since I seem to have a constant need to tweak (esp. cheaply), I'll replace it with the denser, non-laminated MDF at some point.

Thanks again ---Brett

In addition to being low resonance and cheap, MDF cuts cleanly and precisely with power tools and is a lot easier on their cutting edges than Melamine laminate. Of course you might want to veneer the surfaces for best appearances.

Brett A
03-14-2008, 10:17 AM
In addition to being low resonance and cheap, MDF cuts cleanly and precisely with power tools and is a lot easier on their cutting edges than Melamine laminate. Of course you might want to veneer the surfaces for best appearances.
Thanks. I've worked with some un-laminated MDF already and found it pretty buttery through the table saw in the shop at work. I have yet to finish any though and am thinking of two possibilities.

Spray polyurethane (several coats) then butcher's wax
Spray paint: gray primer then semi-flat black

I'll have to see how it takes either of these finishes. i know it can be quite absorbent and easily ruined when it comes to exposure to water.