The Constantines [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Constantines

Finch Platte
03-13-2008, 07:34 AM
I've heard an advance copy of the Constantines' latest disc, Kensington Heights, and it's the best thing released this year, as far as I'm concerned. It's classic in a Springsteen sort of way, but don't let that frighten you, because I'm not a Springsteen fan, either. :confused5:

Good stuff, but I can't find it. It's available only as a Canadian import and sells for around $30.

So, any Canucks want to buy this for me? I'm serious, here. Of course, I'll reimburse you and even let you listen to it first.

Here's AllMusic's review of their first disc, the only one my local shop has in stock :incazzato: .

Hailing from Guelph, Ontario, the Constantines exploded onto the Canadian independent music scene in 2001 with their self-titled debut, a complex collection of songs that pose questions without offering any clear answers. The band's lyrics read like the poetry of revolution, whether calling for the death of rock & roll (on the opening track, "Arizona"), storming metaphorical Bastilles on "Some Party," or turning a cliché Rod Stewart lyric ("Young hearts be free tonight/Time is on your side") into an earnest rallying cry on "Young Offenders." As good as the preceding tracks are, however, none of them prepare the listener for the abrupt left turn that occurs with "St. You," a powerfully mournful ballad (with lyrics worthy of Nick Cave or even Leonard Cohen) that ends in a wash of feedback, signaling the beginning of the excellent instrumental, "The McKnight Life." The final three tracks on the disc are just as strong as the rest, with "Steal This Sound" and "To the Lullabies" (sounding like they could have been featured in the film Fight Club) featuring lyrics such as "You sing like dynamite tonight/as we race through downtown financial sectors glowing, and we serenade with car alarms." Overall, the Constantines' debut is a stunningly strong effort, well worth repeated listens.

Any other fans out there?

fp

ForeverAutumn
03-13-2008, 07:48 AM
Hey Finchy, I have their first disk, which is pretty good if I recall correctly. Although, I don't listen to it often.

According to their record label (Arts & Crafts) this album isn't being released until April 15/08. I'd be happy to pick it up for you once it's released, if you still can't get it.

I've done this for ChipB (remember him?) a few times with Colin James releases which sell for about $15 here but over $30 in the US.

Ex Lion Tamer
03-13-2008, 10:04 AM
I have Shine A Light which is a brilliant album in my opinion and the buzz at Obner for Kensington Heights had me put it on my "to do" list. But I will probably get the vinyl, so if you want a burn from vinyl - I can certainly oblige when I get it in my hot little hands.

Rae
03-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Sounds most excellent. Shine a Light is one of my favorite records and Tournament of Hearts is nearly as good. I'll be keeping an eye out for it.

~Rae

Slosh
03-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Are we listening to the same band? I have the debut and Shine A Light as well and I only hear nondescript (although competent) alterna-rock that could have been from any number of 90s bands. Put Six By Seven in that category too.

NP: