Airbourne [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Airbourne

ForeverAutumn
03-13-2008, 05:22 AM
I stumbled upon this band at a listening station in HMV. I took the album home, where my husband informed me that they have a big radio hit. Since I rarely listen to the radio, I had no idea.

Anyway, this band is a total throwback to 1980's arena rock. They sound a lot like AC/DC with some Judas Priest thrown in. Lots of heavy guitar with catchy riffs and loud vocals. The vocals are a little grating at times, but overall this is a solid album...even if it sometimes feels like its 20 or 30 years too late.

I can picture Airbourne playing in large arena's with an elaborate light show and lots of flash-pots. For now they're playing the club scene. I would love to see them live. If their stage energy is anything like the energy that you feel while listening to the album, it would be a great show.

Has anyone else heard this album yet?

You can check our their MySpace page here (http://www.myspace.com/airbourne).

Finch Platte
03-13-2008, 07:38 AM
I stumbled upon this band at a listening station in HMV. I took the album home, where my husband informed me that they have a big radio hit. Since I rarely listen to the radio, I had no idea.

Anyway, this band is a total throwback to 1980's arena rock. They sound a lot like AC/DC with some Judas Priest thrown in. Lots of heavy guitar with catchy riffs and loud vocals. The vocals are a little grating at times, but overall this is a solid album...even if it sometimes feels like its 20 or 30 years too late.

I can picture Airbourne playing in large arena's with an elaborate light show and lots of flash-pots. For now they're playing the club scene. I would love to see them live. If their stage energy is anything like the energy that you feel while listening to the album, it would be a great show.

Has anyone else heard this album yet?

You can check our their MySpace page here (http://www.myspace.com/airbourne).

Haven't heard them, but thanks for the warning! :16:

From AllMusic: Airbourne is a straightforward rock band in the Aussie pub rock tradition of AC/DC, the Angels, and Rose Tattoo: four guys with beers in hand who would rather die than be caught wearing a pink shirt.

The brothers Joel and Ryan O'Keeffe grew up in the country town of Warrnambool, with a collection of classic Australian rock albums stolen from their uncle. When everyone around them was listening to current music, they were firmly entrenched in the music of the '70s and '80s they longed to re-create. Joel took on vocals and lead guitar and Ryan the drums while still in school, earning them the enmity of their neighbors, who sent the police around with noise complaints multiple times.

Second guitarist David Roads was sourced from the local pub, where Joel O'Keeffe worked. Bass player Justin Street was encountered in the town's sand dunes by Ryan O'Keeffe while drunkenly rolling down them, and with his addition Airbourne was complete. The four soon moved to the city of Melbourne to find venues willing to accept them.

Steadily playing, they put out a self-financed EP called Ready to Rock in 2004. Hard work paid off with support slots for acts including the Rolling Stones and Mötley Crüe and a billing at the Big Day Out festival in 2006. That year they were invited to the U.S.A. by Capitol Records to record their debut album, Runnin' Wild, with producer Bob Marlette.

When Capitol merged with Virgin they were one of several artists dropped, though they managed to quickly sign a new contract with Roadrunner Records to secure a worldwide release for their album. Runnin' Wild proved popular with video game producers, and songs were licensed for use in the games NHL 08, Madden NFL 08, and Skate.

Duds
03-14-2008, 07:07 AM
I have the disc, its nothing special to me. Their sound has been done before, many times actually.

Hyfi
03-14-2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks for reminding me of an old movie I have been trying to think of.

Airborn from 1993 is one of Jack Black's first movies with Seth Green also. Not a bad movie if you like Roller Blading and High School fun.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106233/

Sorry to hijack your post FA:smilewinkgrin: