Holco resistor burn in time [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Holco resistor burn in time

stephennic
03-13-2008, 04:51 AM
Hi,
I have put in a couple of holco resistors in a valve pre amp near the volume pot replacing cheap resistors. It sounds bright and a bit harsh - does that change with burn in time - if so how many hours burn in is needed and how does the sound change. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Steve.

bfalls
03-13-2008, 05:43 AM
A quick google search found comments the "new" Holcos sound brighter than previous. The new design uses steel end-caps (magnetic) instead of copper. Since these are precision components (1% tolerence), I doubt they'll change much during burn-in. Many components go through a burn-in proccess prior to shipping. Did you compare the resistences of the components (old and new resistors)? This difference may be what you're hearing.

hermanv
03-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Run a CD on "repeat", turn off the main amplifier. Now let it play and wait 2 days (48 hours) if you hear an improvement add more time. Some parts take a 100 hours to settle in, for many I've heard, the symptom is excessive brightness.

stephennic
03-17-2008, 10:33 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. It has improved on burn in (20 Hrs). No I didnt compare with other resistors as I read some reviews on the net that strongly suggested Holcos. It is now more natural sounding lost the harshness.

Regards,

Steve.