Muse [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Muse

ForeverAutumn
03-10-2008, 12:31 PM
I picked up Muse's first CD yesterday, Showbiz. After a couple of spin's I've got to say that this band can do no wrong IMO. This CD is full of the sounds that I've come to love on Absolusion and Black Holes and Revelations. I thought that I was taking a bit of a chance on this disk, but the risk has paid off. This CD is just fantastic. A little less ambient and prog influenced (I wouldn't call them prog, per se) and a little heavier than their last two releases, it's very, very good for a first CD.

I see that they have a new disk (CD/DVD) being released on April 1 called Haarp. It's an auto buy for me and I'm looking forward to it.

ForeverAutumn
03-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Even though this post got no responses, I'm going to bump it up to add a few additional comments about this disk now that I've had a few more concentrated listens to it.

This might very well be my favourite Muse CD. It's simpler than their subsequent releases. The music is not as complex (not they ever get really complex) and that simplicity gives this CD a few more hooks and a little more accessibility than Absolution or Black Holes and Revelations. It's funny how they started to get some radio recognition with BH&R, when I think that there are songs on Showbiz that are much more radio friendly.

And it's not as heavy as I first thought. But I love how this band can go from soft and lulling to rock out and then lull you back in again. Although I can see how some folks might be turned off by the vocals. It does sound, at times, like a cat having a particularly constipated bowel movement...yet it totally works for me.

Finch Platte
03-27-2008, 11:55 AM
I like them, too, but I just don't pull the discs out very often. :19:

audio amateur
03-27-2008, 12:26 PM
If you like muse, you should check out Radiohead;)

Finch Platte
03-27-2008, 02:25 PM
If you like muse, you should check out Radiohead;)

That's a joke, right?

To me, Muse has some balls. Radiohead sounds like a fruit singing & dancing around to R2-D2 bleeps & squorts.

fp

audio amateur
03-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Actually it's not. Muse is just a Radiohead wannabee. Talk about balls, Matthew Bellamy is about the gayest thing I've ever seen.
On a side not I've never heard a fruit sing. I don't know where you got that from

Finch Platte
03-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Actually it's not. Muse is just a Radiohead wannabee. Talk about balls, Matthew Bellamy is about the gayest thing I've ever seen.
On a side not I've never heard a fruit sing. I don't know where you got that from

On one hand, you say MB is the gayest thing you've ever seen, and the other you say you've never heard a fruit sing. So which is it?

kexodusc
03-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Radiohead with balls? I call that Porcupine Tree.

Never heard much from Muse, but if FA and Finchy P like it, I'll have to check'em out.

ForeverAutumn
03-27-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm with Finch on the Radiohead/Muse thing. I totally dig Muse. I've never found much to like in Radiohead. Sorry AA...gotta disagree with you on this one.

Swish
03-27-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm with Finch on the Radiohead/Muse thing. I totally dig Muse. I've never found much to like in Radiohead. Sorry AA...gotta disagree with you on this one.

...wannabe, or at least they were. They couldn't get a record deal in England because they sounded too much like Radiohead (and so did many others at that time) so they came to the US and got it done.. Did you know that the producer of R.H.'s 'The Bends", a guy named John Leckie, also produced their first record? No, I guess you didn't.

They have ventured beyond that early sound, but now they're a bit too proggy for me, so I think I'll pass.

Swish

kexodusc
03-27-2008, 04:38 PM
...wannabe, or at least they were. They couldn't get a record deal in England because they sounded too much like Radiohead (and so did many others at that time) so they came to the US and got it done.. Did you know that the producer of R.H.'s 'The Bends", a guy named John Leckie, also produced their first record? No, I guess you didn't.

They have ventured beyond that early sound, but now they're a bit too proggy for me, so I think I'll pass.

Swish
Pfff, next cranky pants is gonna tell me that Aerosmith was a Rolling Stones knock-off...as if.
:3: Craaaayyyzaaaay, Craaaaayyzzaaay...

ForeverAutumn
03-27-2008, 05:01 PM

Swish

Yeah, well, if that's the case then IMO Muse is doing Radiohead better than Radiohead. Radiohead should be a Muse wannabe. So there! :ciappa:

(let the flames begin...MWWAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAA)

Swish
03-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Yeah, well, if that's the case then IMO Muse is doing Radiohead better than Radiohead. Radiohead should be a Muse wannabe. So there! :ciappa:

(let the flames begin...MWWAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAA)

Good for me. But seriously, if you dig into Muse, you will find that I'm spot on. I don't think they sound much like them now, with their 'new prog' or whatever, but they were very much a wannabe back in the day. I can't say it's a fact, but if you check their history, you'll see that what I mentioned is true. Back in their formative years, all the British bands were aping Radiohead, just like they did the Beatles decades earlier. Then they utilize a guy who produced for Radiohead....well....you do the math.

I actually like 'The Bends' quite a lot, and Ok, Comuter, but they lost me after that, so don't think I'm some big Radiohead fan because it ain't so.

Swish

Swish
03-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Pfff, next cranky pants is gonna tell me that Aerosmith was a Rolling Stones knock-off...as if.
:3: Craaaayyyzaaaay, Craaaaayyzzaaay...

Oh, you were just messing with me. :blush2:

Old Geezer Swish

audio amateur
03-28-2008, 02:19 AM

Swish
Well, there you go.
I prefer Portishead:D

ForeverAutumn
03-28-2008, 05:52 AM
I'm listening to OK Computer this morning, and I can totally see what you guys are talking about. But I still like the way Muse does it better.