HELP! No sound on Yamaha HTR-5460 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HELP! No sound on Yamaha HTR-5460

gutterpunk
03-05-2004, 09:34 AM
No sound is coming from my Yamaha HTR-5460. It was working fine until one night I wanted to watch a DVD and no sound would come from the speakers. I noticed that a small "ps" is now appearing on the receiver's display. I've also noticed a small glitch (line) on the far left of the display that should not be there. I tested it with the tuner, the TV, a CD, and still no sound. I've had the receiver for about 2 years and it has been a great receiver. Any ideas on what could be causing this problem?

TinHere
03-05-2004, 10:27 AM
No sound is coming from my Yamaha HTR-5460. It was working fine until one night I wanted to watch a DVD and no sound would come from the speakers. I noticed that a small "ps" is now appearing on the receiver's display. I've also noticed a small glitch (line) on the far left of the display that should not be there. I tested it with the tuner, the TV, a CD, and still no sound. I've had the receiver for about 2 years and it has been a great receiver. Any ideas on what could be causing this problem?

Try pressing the A/B speaker buttons, you may have changed the setting inadvertantly.

Good luck.

gutterpunk
03-05-2004, 10:37 AM
I tried that and still had no luck. It seems like it is in some sort of protect mode where it won't output sound.

TinHere
03-05-2004, 10:47 AM
I tried that and still had no luck. It seems like it is in some sort of protect mode where it won't output sound.

Try unplugging it and letting it reset.

gutterpunk
03-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Tried that as well. I think I need to do a complete reset of the system and the settings. Any idea on how to do that?

TinHere
03-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Tried that as well. I think I need to do a complete reset of the system and the settings. Any idea on how to do that?

Oh oh, if it's beyond simple you may need real help. Leave it unplugged for 1/2 hr. and try again.

Good luck.

gutterpunk
03-05-2004, 11:06 AM
Somebody just got me the steps to perform a Factory Reset. I'll try that and see if that solves the problem. Thanks for helping out!

gutterpunk
03-07-2004, 04:52 PM
Still looking for help on this problem. Factory reset did not solve the problem. I am just over the 2 year warranty and am afraid i may have to pay a lot for a repair. If anybody has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks!

inner_ear
03-18-2004, 07:28 AM

You might check to see if you accidentally invoked a tape monitor mode on the receiver. I've seen these symptoms before associated with that mode. The mode overrides sound from the selected source.

omikey
03-18-2004, 10:19 AM
You might check to see if you accidentally invoked a tape monitor mode on the receiver. I've seen these symptoms before associated with that mode. The mode overrides sound from the selected source.
go to your owners manual, dig though it until you find out where it explains what the 'ps' stands for.

I have an older JVC and just a couple of weeks ago I lost all of the sound. Turned out that I had just been pushing buttons in the dark and had set something in the avr that disabled the output to the speakers.

Let me ask you this,,,,,, have you recently installed speakers ? new ? or moved yours?

If you did re-ck your installation. One time I had my left main with one wire on speaker set 'a' and the other wire on speaker set 'b' .... the reciver went into protect mode and would not put out a sound. There was a display msg (I've forgotten what it was) and I didn't know what it meant. They way I found the problem was looking at the installation and just unhooked everything, one at a time. It was then that I saw the mis wire on the speaker was wired to both the A and B speaker channels......

Good Luck, and don't forget to ck you manual for information

gutterpunk
03-18-2004, 03:28 PM
i dug through my owners manual and even called Yamaha support to try to figure out what that "ps" meant, and had no luck at all. i unhooked everything from the receiver, performed the reset and the little "ps" was still appearing. after unhooking everything, i put 2 speakers on it, put it on the Tuner setting and attempted to get sound..and still nothing. i may just have to take it to a repair shop unless anybody else has an idea!? Thanks!

agtpunx40
03-18-2004, 05:31 PM
so the help line people had no idea what the ps meant? I have no idea what that could mean, that's kinda strange. You might be stuck having to go to a repair shop

gutterpunk
03-19-2004, 08:57 AM
I think the repair shop is about the only thing I have left. I was trying anything I could to avoid it..but I think it is inevitable now. Thanks to everyone for trying to help out!

TinHere
03-19-2004, 09:07 AM
I think the repair shop is about the only thing I have left. I was trying anything I could to avoid it..but I think it is inevitable now. Thanks to everyone for trying to help out!

One more question. Did you set the Yammie to Auto so it can determine what kind of signal it is getting?

Good luck.

gutterpunk
03-19-2004, 01:51 PM
Yeah..i have it set to Auto. I talked to Yamaha Service and we bypassed the digital signals and went to analog. I was able to hear sound, but only on the default DVD setting. We narrowed it down to a problem with the DSP. Yamaha service is still trying to figure out the problem. They had mentioned to me that the "ps" that is appearing only appears on European models and somehow my reciever got into this mode. It's really weird....?

agtpunx40
03-19-2004, 02:13 PM
where did you buy the reciever.

gutterpunk
03-19-2004, 02:18 PM
I bought it at Best Buy..i just passed the 2 year warranty. I still have the reciepts and all that stuff. According to the Yamaha service dude, Yamaha is pretty lenient on the warranty, but said I would still have to pay for labor if I took it to a repair shop.