cant leave well enough alone [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : cant leave well enough alone

budgetaudio76
03-07-2008, 11:22 PM
im wanting to remove the amp from a ksw 10 sub not only to see how it looks inside but perhaps add polyfill and a piece of foam. im not certain as to which screws to unscrew. anyone with experiance in this matter, any help is much appreciated. :blush2: i cant leave well enough alone sometimes. :hand:

Feanor
03-08-2008, 04:22 AM
im wanting to remove the amp from a ksw 10 sub not only to see how it looks inside but perhaps add polyfill and a piece of foam. im not certain as to which screws to unscrew. anyone with experiance in this matter, any help is much appreciated. :blush2: i cant leave well enough alone sometimes. :hand:

If I felt I had to remove the amp, I try the outer-most screws first; if you don't force anything, you propably won't do any damage.

What do you intend by adding polyfill or foam? Adding fill will increase the effective size of the box as seen by the driver, especially if it is a sealed box versus vented. I don't know whether the KSW is sealled or vented. In a sealed box the result would tend to be a lower bass extension, (-10dB), but a higher initial roll-over, (-3dB). In the case of a vented box, the effective sized (influenced by the amount of fill) and the vent length work together: change one and you have to change the other -- frankly I won't fool with my KSW by adding fill.

budgetaudio76
03-08-2008, 05:28 PM
thnx for your input feanor, what im thinking of accomplishing is, to reduce the level of turbulence caused by the port inside the cabinet. im thinking line the top and the sides with polyfill and putting a piece of bedding foam covering the woofer(about1 inch thick) so if the polyfill should fall it doesnt fall on the woofer. the foam piece is about 9 1/2 inch by 13 1/4 inche. im not trying to get extended output out of it just want to hear if any changes would be made good or bad, im curious as to what would happen.

pixelthis
03-09-2008, 09:43 PM
thnx for your input feanor, what im thinking of accomplishing is, to reduce the level of turbulence caused by the port inside the cabinet. im thinking line the top and the sides with polyfill and putting a piece of bedding foam covering the woofer(about1 inch thick) so if the polyfill should fall it doesnt fall on the woofer. the foam piece is about 9 1/2 inch by 13 1/4 inche. im not trying to get extended output out of it just want to hear if any changes would be made good or bad, im curious as to what would happen.

IT WOULD SCREW UP YOUR SUB is what would happen.
Most subs are pretty much the same, the amp is whats called a "plate amp", unscrew it using the outermost screws.
They are usually interchangable, you can put in a new one with more power.
BUT ITS USUALLY CHEAPER TO JUST GET A KIT, there are several out there.
I will post an adress shortly.
But stay away from the foam rubber idea, at worst it will burn up your amp

pixelthis
03-09-2008, 09:49 PM
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=43&ObjectGroup_ID=505

PLENTY of stuff to get into trouble with.
GOOD luck. Hope you surrive

bfalls
03-10-2008, 05:25 AM
Put a sock in it!------I mean the port. Try different degrees of density. I've also seen foam plugs used.

budgetaudio76
03-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Put a sock in it!------I mean the port. Try different degrees of density. I've also seen foam plugs used.

i did it is a piece of memory foam so it expands nicely in the port. but thats pretty funny, hey dude put a sock in it. :D