Signet cartridges? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Signet cartridges?

Rupert
03-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Hey all,

This is my first post here!

I managed to break the stylus on my old cartridge, so now I need to replace it. The old cartridge is a Signet TK7Ea that came with the used turntable I have. I've been having a hard time finding information about the Signet that might help me determine if it's worth it to just get a new stylus for it (seems to be about $50), or if I should just buy a whole new cartridge. My budget is pretty low, like under $65 or so. Is the Signet a good cartridge?

Thanks!

Feanor
03-08-2008, 03:39 AM
Hey all,

I managed to break the stylus on my old cartridge, so now I need to replace it. The old cartridge is a Signet TK7Ea that came with the used turntable I have. I've been having a hard time finding information about the Signet that might help me determine if it's worth it to just get a new stylus for it (seems to be about $50), or if I should just buy a whole new cartridge. My budget is pretty low, like under $65 or so. Is the Signet a good cartridge?

Thanks!

Hi, Rupert, welcome to AR.

A possibility for replace is at LP Gear (http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=TK7Ea), $47.

EDIT: I corrected the above link.

Luvin Da Blues
03-08-2008, 04:56 AM
Hey all,

Thanks!

Welcome Rupert

If your looking for an inexpensive cartridge try the AT440MLa. It's a little more than your budget at $99 but outperforms it's price class substantially.

You can find it here.....

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=ATC05&Category_Code=XMAS

Cheers, LDB

JohnMichael
03-08-2008, 06:15 AM
Signet was marketed as an upper level cartridge from Audio Technica. You may be able to find an AT replacement stylus that might fit. What turntable do you have?

Brett A
03-08-2008, 06:44 AM
Welcome Rupert

If your looking for an inexpensive cartridge try the AT440MLa. It's a little more than your budget at $99 but outperforms it's price class substantially.

You can find it here.....

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=ATC05&Category_Code=XMAS

Cheers, LDB
Welcome to the forum Rupert. I'm pretty new here myself.

I've been in the market for an AT 440 MLa and haven't been able to find one for under $140.00. All the sites that list them for less than that state "out of stock" as is true with the above link. If anyone does find one for closer to $100 lemmie know. ---brett

Luvin Da Blues
03-08-2008, 06:48 AM
Welcome to the forum Rupert. I'm pretty new here myself.

I've been in the market for an AT 440 MLa and haven't been able to find one for under $140.00. All the sites that list them for less than that state "out of stock" as is true with the above link. If anyone does find one for closer to $100 lemmie know. ---brett

Didn't see the "out of stock" on that link. I wonder when they're getting more in. I was thinking of putting one on my old Technics TT with a Sansui AU6900 for an vintage office system. I guess I could upgrade my main cartridge and move my 440 to the office.

Rupert
03-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Signet was marketed as an upper level cartridge from Audio Technica. You may be able to find an AT replacement stylus that might fit. What turntable do you have?

That link above has replacement Signet styli for under $50, so that seems like a pretty good deal. It sounds like that's a better idea than a new cartridge for under $65. Thanks!

I have a frankenstiened turntable I bought from a used audio place probably 8-10 years ago, and I'm not really sure what parts are from what turntables, but the body is labelled as a Hitachi Direct Drive HT 40S. It came with the Signet cartridge, and it's been in kind of bad shape since I bought it (I didn't know what to look for in turntables when I was shopping for them), so I'm not really sure of the overall quality of the table, but it does have that mirror speed fine tuning thing.