Subwoofer for Merlin TSM-MMe? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer for Merlin TSM-MMe?

hundredwaters
03-06-2008, 07:42 PM
This is my first post so here it goes....

I am in the process of creating my first quality stereo/home theater system and am planning to start with Merlin TSM-MMe paired with the NAD VISO Five DVD/receiver (to be released soon). I know the later is far from ultra high-end audiophile equipment, but i am interested in simplicity and a visually spare and unimposing piece of stereo equipment. Plus, my budget is a bit limited and I would rather put more money into speakers.

So... I am planning to build a small home theater system around the two and was wondering if someone can recommend a similarly small and unimposing subwoofer to mate with the Merlins. The cheaper the better, but quality is important. I believe the Merlins drop off at 40hz. I have some hearing damage and thus don't listen to loud music much, so loud output is not particularly important. Last - I live in a small apartment and likely will move into a small house in the future - thus, my listening space is small.

thanks....

Mr Peabody
03-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Well when I saw you had Merlin which I have not had the pleasure of hearing but understand they are outstanding the first sub that came to mind is REL. Rel has a quality reputation for being a very good sub for music and playing very low.

Some of the mid to upper series Velodyne are good for home theater if you like low bass that shakes the room. I like mine for HT but not so much for music. They do use sealed enclosures and small cabinets though.

Have you seen the Arcam Solo? It's another cd/receiver option that is well reviewed. If wanted even higher end than that T+A makes a similar unit that plays DVD as well but I'm not sure how many channels it has or features.

Welcome to AR.

Feanor
03-07-2008, 03:20 AM
This is my first post so here it goes....

I am in the process of creating my first quality stereo/home theater system and am planning to start with Merlin TSM-MMe paired with the NAD VISO Five DVD/receiver (to be released soon). I know the later is far from ultra high-end audiophile equipment, but i am interested in simplicity and a visually spare and unimposing piece of stereo equipment. Plus, my budget is a bit limited and I would rather put more money into speakers.

So... I am planning to build a small home theater system around the two and was wondering if someone can recommend a similarly small and unimposing subwoofer to mate with the Merlins. The cheaper the better, but quality is important. I believe the Merlins drop off at 40hz. I have some hearing damage and thus don't listen to loud music much, so loud output is not particularly important. Last - I live in a small apartment and likely will move into a small house in the future - thus, my listening space is small.

thanks....

Welcome to AR, hunderwaters.

Merlins have a fine reputation and no doubt deserve a good sub. Recently I've seen some interesting recommendations for the Rythmik Audio servo subwoofers (http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products.html). They are DIY, however.

hundredwaters
03-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the responses...

The arcam dvd solo looks impressive, although I have a feeling the NAD viso five is going to have no competition. Thanks for the Rhythmic audio suggestion - I would love to build one, but I don't think I will have the time. Does anybody have experience with the James EMB-1000? It has pretty good reviews but there is no high-pass filter, which I assume would be a bonus.... I assume the velodyne minivee would be a bit too crude for my uses.... I am more interested in music than movies and balancing out the Merlins rather than having a thundering cinema experience...

crt416
03-22-2008, 11:31 PM
I had a pair TSM-MM and was played with REL Storm3 perfect matched. And sold the TSM-MM. I ordered BRAND NEW TSM-MMe about 3 months ago. Just received them on 2/22/2008. The TSM_MMe is excellent matched with REL sub. I am going to upgrade the REL Stadium soon.

Mr Peabody
03-23-2008, 03:27 AM
A guy I talked to several years back saw Merlin at the CES show. He sold his speakers right after and purchased the Merlin. One of the things he raved about was the bass response, he also mentioned his pair had an additional piece of electronics. I don't know if this was an EQ or what. These were probably top, or close to top, of the line, this guy was a doctor who was on the audio merry-go-round. I was just wondering if your Merlin really needed a sub and if they have this additional piece? Do you know what price Merlin starts at?