Separate Amp for a Pioneer Elite Receiver? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Separate Amp for a Pioneer Elite Receiver?

lsmar
03-06-2008, 05:58 PM
I was thinking about buying a used Rotel 985 (THX 5 channel amp) as an upgrade for my system that has a Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX receiver.

The THD on the Rotel is .03% vs the Pioneer's .09%.

I'd like to hear any opinions on whether this upgrade will make any audible difference in my system. Please let me know what you think!

f0rge
03-07-2008, 06:24 AM
what kind of speakers are you running? how loud do you listen?

short answer is "yes"

long answer is "depends"

markw
03-07-2008, 06:48 AM
1) There's a little more involved than that, but the simple answer is no.

"Anything under .1 percent is considered undetectable by human ears".
Source : http://www.post-gazette.com/interact/20021219lindich1219bnp1.asp

2) Second, if you double your power you gain only a three decible difference, which is barely noticible.

3) To double the apparant loudness, you need about ten times your current power.

4) Items 2 and three above would apply to peaks, not your overall listening levels.

f0rge
03-07-2008, 07:04 AM
1) That difference isn't audiable.

2) Second, if you double your power you gat only a three decible difference, which is barely noticible.

3) To double the apparant loudness, you need about ten times your current power.

4) Items 2 and three above would apply to peaks, not your overall listening levels.

that depends if he's looking for a level difference or a sound quality difference.

IMO the rotel would sound "nicer" than the pioneer, but then again that's just my opinion...

markw
03-07-2008, 07:09 AM
that depends if he's looking for a level difference or a sound quality difference.

IMO the rotel would sound "nicer" than the pioneer, but then again that's just my opinion...I amended my post with some supplimental reading material.

lsmar
03-07-2008, 07:49 AM
what kind of speakers are you running? how loud do you listen?

short answer is "yes"

long answer is "depends"

I'm running M&K speakers on this system: Front Left & Right = LCR 45s (8ohms), Center = LCR 55 (4ohms), Surround Left & Right = K4 Tripoles(6ohms?), Back Channel = MP6 (6ohms)

If I got that Rotel, I'd run the FL/FR/C and the SL/SR channels through the new amp, and continue running the Back Channels through the Pioneer Elite.

To tell you the truth, I don't listen very loud 99.9% of the time because it will wake up my kids. I've never gone beyond -10Db as read on the Pioneer's volume display. I usually watch movies at -25 to -30Db.

I'd really be looking for a higher "quality" of sound, although I'm not unhappy with the output of my current setup. Being able to listen louder isn't really what I'm looking for.

RoadRunner6
03-07-2008, 09:43 AM
markw is correct. You will hear ZERO difference.

There are many here and elsewhere who have golden audiophile ears and even more golden imaginations. They will insist that their ears are better than yours and that they easily hear significant sound diferences between receivers and amps. Put them in a double blind test and all the differences magically disappear. In normal situations (that means dynamic speakers in the 4-8 ohm actual range at undistorted/non-clipped volume levels) you will not be able to tell any difference 99% of the time.

Some enlightening reading:

http://www.hometheaterfocus.com/receivers/amplifier-sound-quality.aspx

This should open a big can of worms.

Buy more expensive amps if you have difficult design speakers (planar or electrostatic for example) or those with very low impedence loads or those with extremely low sensitivity or if you play at very loud levels and need every last watt or if you simply want a superbly built and high quality component and not because of how you might anticipate it will sound.

Put your money where the real difference in sound is. That is in the speakers and the sound source (and don't forget the room accoustics and how the speakers are placed in the room). Get a good powered sub if you don't have one. That sends all the low bass to the sub's amp. The receiver's amps will usually loaf along only having to drive the frequencies from 80hz or so and up.

RR6

RoadRunner6
03-07-2008, 09:58 AM
BTW, That Pioneer VSX-52TX has a very good amp. 115 watts at .1% distortion into 8 ohms with 5 channels driven is impressive performance!

http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/1204pioneer/index2.html

RR6

Audster
03-09-2008, 06:29 PM
I had a Denon 3805 for a couple of years. After investing in some speakers, my home theater buddy suggested buing an amp. After doing some research, I chose the B&K 200.7. I did hear a little better sound, with less distortion when cranked. One main problem, the Denon had a very slight buzz in the speakers while playing. When the amp was added to the system, the buzz became intolerable, more so in the evenings. I hired an electrican, thinking the problems were in the AC lines. We ran dedicated lines, one for the amp, and one for the other components, then placed a Monster AC Stage 2 cleaner in. Same buzzing. I had been told that a separate preampwould ultimately be the way to go, just for improvement in overall audio quality. I chose the B&K reference 50 S2. The buzzing has gone away, and I hear a major improvement in music coming out of my speakers. I am currently trying to sell the Denon.

RoadRunner6
03-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Audster.....very interesting post!

I was wondering if you ever had the Denon checked out by Denon? That buzz does not sound either normal or acceptable.

You traded a $1200 receiver for two B&K components that run about $5500. You didn't mention your speakers. I'm curious what results you would have obtained if you have put the $4300 into better speakers?

RR6