HD DVD/Blu-ray Swap Program From Circuitcity. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HD DVD/Blu-ray Swap Program From Circuitcity.

Smokey
03-06-2008, 02:39 PM
If you bought an HD DVD player at Circuit City and now want to switch over to Blu-ray, you're in luck. The electronics retailer will allow consumers to trade in their HD DVD players at face value, as long as they have the original receipt, regardless of how long ago the purchase was made.

The point of the program is to use that credit to purchase a new Blu-ray Disc player. However, you can also get a gift card for the same amount.

The tech blog claims to have received an internal memo from the store explaining the promotion.

"We do not want to upset our valued customers. For this special circumstance, we are happy to offer an exchange for a Blu-ray player (customer plays any difference in purchase price) - even if it has been several months since the customer made their HD DVD player purchase. If the customer does not want a Blu-ray player, we can issue a gift card refund for their original purchase price," said the memo.

Circuit City has not yet started avertising this offer.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36355/113/

bobsticks
03-06-2008, 03:45 PM
The seven people that actually paid full price will be so relieved :p

Smokey
03-06-2008, 05:56 PM
The seven people that actually paid full price will be so relieved :p

Those that paid full price probably will bring them back, but many that got them on sale may not. I was reading that althought consumers knew that HD-DVD is going bust, Bestbuy quickly sold out HD-DVD players they had on sale.

pixelthis
03-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Those that paid full price probably will bring them back, but many that got them on sale may not. I was reading that althought consumers knew that HD-DVD is going bust, Bestbuy quickly sold out HD-DVD players they had on sale.

Theres always a few ninicompoops who think that they are getting "BARGAIN" IN A DEAD FORMAT.
I knew some people who bought a rca CED player during closeout in the mid eighties.
One guy wound up with ten movies and a player that, when it did work, looked like crap.
IF ANYBODY HAS ONE OF THESE THEY SHOULD RUN NOT WALK TO THE NEAREST CC.
And get out while the gettins good:1:

Smokey
03-11-2008, 12:42 PM
I knew some people who bought a rca CED player during closeout in the mid eighties. One guy wound up with ten movies and a player that, when it did work, looked like crap.

RCA should have known better. That [video LP] format probably might have been cool to own in 60 and 70s, but not in the 80s where everybody were getting ready to dumb their LP format. LP was problematic even with audio, so can't imagine trying to get video out of it.

Spancticles
03-11-2008, 06:14 PM
that is very nice of them

pixelthis
03-11-2008, 10:30 PM
RCA should have known better. That [video LP] format probably might have been cool to own in 60 and 70s, but not in the 80s where everybody were getting ready to dumb their LP format. LP was problematic even with audio, so can't imagine trying to get video out of it.

It was so bad that some wondered if it was a ploy to taint laser and other videodiscs
and help VHS(NOT that it needed help.
Thats what happened anyway, whenever I talked about laser or showed my collection
some laypeople would always ask if it was "that thing RCA came out with afew years ago" or somesuch:1: