Could, THIS, be the next movie service, surplanting all others [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Could, THIS, be the next movie service, surplanting all others

Mr Peabody
03-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Courtesy of a friend who sent me this link. Looks like Blockbuster and Netflix may have some competition. The article don't give any info on interface with home theater though.

http://earthlink.com.com/2100-11398_3-6232651.html?part=earthlink

alt4
03-05-2008, 10:09 AM
well...it sounds good. but..
will you be able to tell the diff. from this to BD or HD?
Just seems your gonna loose out on quality.

Mr Peabody
03-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Personally this don't appeal to me. Can you imagine standing around in line waiting to download your movie. As I am in a video store I don't see too many people who just walk in and pick up a movie they are looking for and take off to the counter. They are mostly like me who browse to see what they may have missed and narrow the choices down to what you have time to watch in the rental time allowed. It might work for some, I don't know. Also, for me, it will start in only standard definition. My player is HD and most DVD players now at least upsample.

I have been using Blockbuster because they offer Blu-ray but their customer service is starting to fall badly. At least at the one I use. Hollywood went out of business in my neighborhood. I don't know if this is a broader event or just one store.

This thing also reminds me of how you could, and still can maybe, rent movies from McDonald's at those Redbox machines. I'll have to ask around to see if those still exist. This guy behind the deal seems to have some major help though.

pixelthis
03-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Personally this don't appeal to me. Can you imagine standing around in line waiting to download your movie. As I am in a video store I don't see too many people who just walk in and pick up a movie they are looking for and take off to the counter. They are mostly like me who browse to see what they may have missed and narrow the choices down to what you have time to watch in the rental time allowed. It might work for some, I don't know. Also, for me, it will start in only standard definition. My player is HD and most DVD players now at least upsample.

I have been using Blockbuster because they offer Blu-ray but their customer service is starting to fall badly. At least at the one I use. Hollywood went out of business in my neighborhood. I don't know if this is a broader event or just one store.

This thing also reminds me of how you could, and still can maybe, rent movies from McDonald's at those Redbox machines. I'll have to ask around to see if those still exist. This guy behind the deal seems to have some major help though.

iTS A GOOD IDEA.
And you wouldnt be "waiting" if there were more than one kiosk.
With usb drives approaching higher and higher capacity it might just be a winner,
especially if you could set up a booth anywhere:1:

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-06-2008, 07:10 PM
This could be a winner, especially if he sticks with standard definition. I have my doubts about high definition titles getting there anytime soon, as Hollywood wants that to stay a disc thing they can develope for future revenue. When bluray gets settled in the market, then perhaps we could see HD movies like this. I don't rent, so this is not for me.

He is going to have to DRM the hell out of these movies, or he will not see Fox, Disney or Sony titles in his kiosk.