Moses in the sky with diamonds? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Moses in the sky with diamonds?

ForeverAutumn
03-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Moses was high on drugs: Israeli researcher
Tue Mar 4, 7:03 AM

JERUSALEM (AFP) - High on Mount Sinai, Moses was on psychedelic drugs when he heard God deliver the Ten Commandments, an Israeli researcher claimed in a study published this week.

Such mind-altering substances formed an integral part of the religious rites of Israelites in biblical times, Benny Shanon, a professor of cognitive psychology at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem wrote in the Time and Mind journal of philosophy.

"As far Moses on Mount Sinai is concerned, it was either a supernatural cosmic event, which I don't believe, or a legend, which I don't believe either, or finally, and this is very probable, an event that joined Moses and the people of Israel under the effect of narcotics," Shanon told Israeli public radio on Tuesday.

Moses was probably also on drugs when he saw the "burning bush," suggested Shanon, who said he himself has dabbled with such substances.

"The Bible says people see sounds, and that is a clasic phenomenon," he said citing the example of religious ceremonies in the Amazon in which drugs are used that induce people to "see music."

He mentioned his own experience when he used ayahuasca, a powerful psychotropic plant, during a religious ceremony in Brazil's Amazon forest in 1991. "I experienced visions that had spiritual-religious connotations," Shanon said.

He said the psychedelic effects of ayahuasca were comparable to those produced by concoctions based on bark of the acacia tree, that is frequently mentioned in the Bible.

Rich-n-Texas
03-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Are Acacia trees grown in the US. Can anybody grow them? :ihih:

Rich-n-Texas
03-04-2008, 12:20 PM
So, we're supposed to believe a jewish person, who dabbles in halusinogens(sp?), when he says Moses was on drugs up on the mountain? That's so ironic it's idiotic!

kexodusc
03-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Wouldn't it be an ironic twist of fate if one of the human race's strongest moral compasses was created by guy all hopped up on goof-balls?

I don't believe it...the only hymn that rocks in churches I've been to is Rock of Ages:3:

audio amateur
03-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Pathetic but was a good laugh:)

Rich-n-Texas
03-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Rock of Ages? Def Leppard wrote that! They sing that in churches?

basite
03-04-2008, 01:42 PM
So, we're supposed to believe a jewish person, who dabbles in halusinogens(sp?), when he says Moses was on drugs up on the mountain? That's so ironic it's idiotic!

(not that I support the researcher's opinion, but)

other question:

are we supposed to believe the bible?
or any other religious writings?

Are we supposed to be 'religious'?

Keep them spinning,
Bert

JohnMichael
03-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Many people still use mind altering substances to feel closer to God. They claim greater spiritual awareness. Maybe without the heightened senses God may not have been able to reach his consciousness.

GMichael
03-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Why is it that the religions still around today are called religions, but any that have died off are called myths?

JohnMichael
03-04-2008, 01:54 PM
(not that I support the researcher's opinion, but)

other question:

are we supposed to believe the bible?
or any other religious writings?

Are we supposed to be 'religious'?

Keep them spinning,
Bert

I think we are supposed to work so that our innate goodness wins over our innate evil. For some religion helps them in the struggle to do good. Others however twist religion and use it for evil. Use whatever you need to achieve goodness and love.

trollgirl
03-18-2008, 02:52 AM
It's just another theo-illogical fable. "Theology absorbs twenty-seven times it weight in excess reality."

Always another fellow coming up with something new to tickle the ears and the intellect. If drug-taking were a part of the religion of the OT, someone would have noticed centuries ago. People just want to push YHWH out of the picture.

Laz