Volex???? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Volex????

Bigmoney
03-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Surely, I am not one to spend extravagant amounts of money of IC'S or PC'S for that matter. But, I heard that the volex 17604 power cord is good after market cable. The cost of the volex is truly what interests me. I have seen it cost as little as seven dollars!!! Anyone have experience with this. Do you believe it will make a difference in my set up, maybe connected to my rotel 1080 which plays through b and w dm 602's???

markw
03-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Do you believe it will make a difference in my set up, maybe connected to my rotel 1080 which plays through b and w dm 602's???Simply because the short answer I initially provided was rejected because it was to short, I'll have to say no.

If you want my original answer, ignore all of my previous sentence except the last word.

Bigmoney
03-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Ok thanks, I guess you reccomend sticking with stock power cords, even on my marantz 3002 which is a very flimsy cord?

JSE
03-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Waste-o-money! Even at $7. The power cord would be the last "tweak" I would ever do with a system. Right after I buy those nifty little solid marble "lifters" that we should all run our speaker cable and audio cables over so they don't actually touch the floor. You would be amazed at the electrical interference you can get out of wood floors! :p

Mtbrider
03-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Why would anyone not be willing to invest $7 in a hobby to find out for himself if the Volex improved the sound? If your Marantz has a flimsy cord, I say replace it with a Volex. That said, I understand that the Volex used to be made in Mexico, but production has now moved to China, so the 17604 may now be slightly different. I currently use 3 of the original ones in different applications and like them. And I repeat.....it's $7!

Bigmoney
03-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Did you hear any audible benfit?

E-Stat
03-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Surely, I am not one to spend extravagant amounts of money of IC'S or PC'S for that matter. But, I heard that the volex 17604 power cord is good after market cable.
Its a decent shielded cable. I use a couple of different Belden based recipes for my CDP and the power supplies on my electrostats both of which radiate RFI to nearby components. You might try using an inexpensive Tripp Light or Monster conditioner on your front end components to provide better isolation. Contrary to the canard about conditioning the local sub station, what you are conditioning is the crap that most digital based devices spew back into the nearby AC which is happily amplified downstream.

rw

Bigmoney
03-06-2008, 07:18 AM
What are front end components? I need to buy a good surge with conditioning possibly. My biggest question is will a surge supply enough current for my amp cd player preamp subwoofer and tv, or should I plug my sub and amp into a separate surge. Ideas I have are cyberpower, monster power center strip which retails 200 but goes refurb for 70 at accessories for less, or a tripplite center. Biggest question...........has not been answered.........will a surge provide enough current for my amp and sub and all my componenets or should I have a separate power supply for my amps (sub and rotel)

Mtbrider
03-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Many people would advise that your power amp should be plugged directly into the wall so as not to limit current. The only way to know is to try it both ways with whichever conditioner you get. As for the Volex, I would urge you to buy it and try it. Trust your ears and not someone else's.

Bigmoney
03-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Wouldn't plugging it fdirectly into the wall not allow for any line filtration?

E-Stat
03-06-2008, 06:05 PM
What are front end components?
Sources such as turntables, CDPs, DVDs, cable boxes, TiVOs, and phono preamps.

...will a surge provide enough current for my amp and sub and all my componenets or should I have a separate power supply for my amps (sub and rotel)
No. Conditioners large enough to not limit the current of amplifiers would necessarily be very expensive.

Wouldn't plugging it fdirectly into the wall not allow for any line filtration?
It simply means you would need a power cord containing an RC filter network. Five of mine do.

rw

Bigmoney
03-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Are there any cords like that fairl inexpensive? Such as the ps audio power punch??

E-Stat
03-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Are there any cords like that fairl inexpensive? Such as the ps audio power punch??
Unfortunately not. The least expensive JPS Labs cable I use with a network runs about $300. While the PS Audio seems to be a nice shielded cable, it does not have such a network. I would begin with a conditioner (I use a Monster HTS1000 in two systems) on the front end stuff. Worry about the amplifier later (if at all depending upon your needs).

Understand that the benefits are only apparent with quiet musical passages. With rock'em sock'em movies, you'd never hear the difference.

rw