Speaker choice- DCM TF-500 or Polk Monitor 10's? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker choice- DCM TF-500 or Polk Monitor 10's?

thekid
03-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Okay I keep sayng save your money and wait but I have found some speakers on CL that are cheap enough to try for a temporary fix to my addiction........

I have the opportunity to get a pair of DCM TF500's for $100 or a pair of Polk Monitor 10's (no-not with the ribbon tweeters) for $125. I know neither of these are true audiophile class speakers but are probably an upgrade to my RTR's. What would be your choice?

blackraven
03-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Years ago, DCM used to make some decent speakers. I think they were the Time Window's. They were a cylindrical tower. I dont know about their current speakers. Buy what ever sounds better to your ears!

thekid
03-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Years ago, DCM used to make some decent speakers. I think they were the Time Window's. They were a cylindrical tower. I dont know about their current speakers. Buy what ever sounds better to your ears!

Thanks Blackraven.
These are older DCM's and a step down from the Timeframes which have a unique design as you mention. These are also not you conventional box speaker as they are a bit over 3' tall 16" wide but only about 6" deep. The one criticism I have seen from some of my searches is that some consider them weak on bass but I was thinking of A + B them with my RTR's which do have very good bass and so between I think I would have a winner. The Polk's have a bigger footprint and I am not convinced that they would not be similar in sound to the RTR's based on the driver size though I know that is not a good criteria for determining SQ.

thekid
03-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Pulled the trigger on the DCM's for $80. In good condition but will need a little cosmetic work done. One cap has a few nicks and one grill has a few small holes. Sand,stain and re-sleeve and easy way to double/triple my cost should I ever decide to sell. High WAF despite their heighth.

A/B'd with the RTR's and better imaging with the DCM's though they don't have the same bass output and need a little more power. At this point I am thinking of running them with the RTR's or switching between them depending on the music.

blackraven
03-04-2008, 08:51 PM
I now remeber the DCM's your are talking about. I looked into buying them at one time.
I really liked the sound of the Time Windows though, but at the time I couldnt afford them.

For a while, either CC or BB carried the DCM brand for a short time. I wonder what ever happened to DCM. I think they still make speakers but you never hear about them any more.

thekid
03-05-2008, 03:11 AM
I now remeber the DCM's your are talking about. I looked into buying them at one time.
I really liked the sound of the Time Windows though, but at the time I couldnt afford them.

For a while, either CC or BB carried the DCM brand for a short time. I wonder what ever happened to DCM. I think they still make speakers but you never hear about them any more.

Yeah I was not familiar with DCM until I started researching these and the general consensus was that their earlier speakers were actually very good, especially the Time Frames you mention. I am certainly going to keep my eyes open for a pair.

Based on my limited selections/experience I think these are an under appreciated brand from this time period. This is basically a 2-way speaker but it produces a very good range of sound. I did see references that some of their newer stuff was sold through at least CC. They are still in business and they have a fully functioning site. Not sure of the quality of their current product but maybe someone else here knows.