March Music Madness: Talking Heads vs. Radiohead [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : March Music Madness: Talking Heads vs. Radiohead

newtrix1
03-05-2004, 03:49 AM
Please vote on your more favorite band between Talking Heads and Radiohead .

thank you.

notes:
Justifying your vote is not required, but....in the event of a tie, winning band will be determined by the voter who posts the best justification (explanation) as to why they like the band they voted for (or why they don't like the other band).

Polls will stay open until the elimination round ends...

Status (if you want to vote on one of the matches below, select the match #):
elimination match 1 (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=2446): Yes (4 votes) leads Jethro Tull (2 votes). (Sorry, this one was not set up as a poll)
elim. match 2 (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=2516): The Flaming Lips (15) starting to leave Dave Matthews Band (5) in thier dust
elim. match 3 (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=2571): Wilco (10) edging ahead of The White Stripes (8) in a heated battle
elim. match 4: (in progress)
elim. match 5: tba
elim. match 6: tba
elim. match 7: tba
elim. match 8: tba

Dave_G
03-05-2004, 05:50 AM
The Heads are above and beyond quirky little Radiohead.

I still don't get what ya'll hear in Radioheads "music".

Sorry.

Dave

Mike
03-05-2004, 06:09 AM
Both bands innovative in their time, but for me it's no contest Radiohead all the way.

Within 10 years of Talking Heads glory days they had burnt out, but 10 years after Radiohead kicked off they just get better

Cheers
Mike

Dusty Chalk
03-05-2004, 06:22 AM
Hmmm...tough one. Talking Heads are a thing of the past, but Remain in Light is better than anything Radiohead has done...will have to think about it...

Mr MidFi
03-05-2004, 07:15 AM
Another tough first-round match-up! Honestly, I make this a dead heat. I will call it a draw and abstain from voting.

/ taking the coward's way out...

Troy
03-05-2004, 07:47 AM
Like Dave G, it's no contest for me. Talking Heads all the way.

Altho I like Radiohead more than Dave (well, "The Bends" and "OK Computer" anyway) it's really a question of innovation and attitude.

The Heads were constantly bringing new things to the table. They did so many things first. OTOH, contrary to popular belief, Radiohead really hasn't done anything that hasn't already been done before.

Talking Heads are fun. They have a somewhat comedic and tongue in cheek nature. Radiohead is somber and depressing. They are decidedly NOT fun.

I also don't care for Radiohead's production values. All their albums (to varying degrees) sound dirty, brittle and compressed to death. I realize that they are doing it on purpose to create atmosphere, but to me it's cheap and lazy way of doing it.

Ex Lion Tamer
03-05-2004, 08:47 AM
Though I don't like anything from Talking Heads as much as I like "The Bends", consistency over a longer period of time gives the nod to the Heads by a nose. Check with me in 10 years and I may have changed my mind.

Mark

ForeverAutumn
03-05-2004, 11:19 AM
Gotta go with the Talking Heads. I've tried to get into Radiohead and they just don't do it for me. I don't know why. Everything about them says that I should like them, but I've just never been able to appreciate them.

Besides, Psycho Killer has my name in it...

FA FA FA FA FA FA FA FA FA FA

:rolleyes:

3-LockBox
03-05-2004, 12:22 PM
I voted Heads simply because Radiohead seems to have gotten stuck in a rut after <i>OK Computer</i>, doing a DMB and putting out the same album three or four times over. Talking Heads tried to be more original from LP to LP (even experimental) up until the spotty True Stories LP, which was really their only weak effort.

Dusty Chalk
03-05-2004, 05:18 PM
I finally voted Radiohead mostly because of what someone reminded me -- True Stories kind of sucked. For that matter, Little Creatures was just way too happy for my tastes. Radiohead == more minor chords > Talking Heads.

Meh. Then I should go back and listen to the last side or two of The Name of This Band is Talking Heads and regret my decision. Oh, well, too late. Not that it makes a difference. TH are wiping Rh's assets up.

jdeare
03-05-2004, 07:35 PM
Radiohead... the critics darling. I strive to hear what they hear, but I just can't. Instead, I find myself behind the wheel of a large automobile...

Swish
03-06-2004, 04:56 AM
This is not a fair fight since they are from different eras, so I don't think you can make a decision. It's like trying to compare today's athlete's with those of the past. The Heads remain a favorite although I like Radiohead very much. If I'm forced to choose, I'll have to go with the Talking Heads, but I do so in protest.

Swishy Washy

newtrix1
03-06-2004, 06:15 AM
This is not a fair fight since they are from different eras, so I don't think you can make a decision. It's like trying to compare today's athlete's with those of the past. The Heads remain a favorite although I like Radiohead very much. If I'm forced to choose, I'll have to go with the Talking Heads, but I do so in protest.

Swishy Washy

"paper or plastic...paper or plastic..." :D

Swish
03-06-2004, 07:32 AM
"paper or plastic...paper or plastic..." :D

I want all the dry goods in paper and the cold and frozen in plastic. :D

Swish Baby