Most Recent CD Purchased??..... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Most Recent CD Purchased??.....

audiobill
03-05-2004, 03:37 AM
Hello, folks.

It's Friday, so let's play a little game.

1. List your most recent buy

2. Provide a word or two about it

3. Give it a rating out of 5 (5 being "must have")

Here's mine.....

1. The Dears' "No Cities Left"

2. One of the most varied, yet cohesive, CDs I've experienced in the last year. Great vocals and quirky lyrics. Definitely indie-alternative music. Very well recorded. A marriage between heavenly instrumentation and symphonic vocalizations. From Montreal.... 5th release.“

3. 4/5

Come on....give it a try,
Bill aka audiobill

Stone
03-05-2004, 03:48 AM
Sitar Sudha - This is sitar music from Nepal. Nice mellow stuff, and something I'll listen to from time to time because it has percussion with it. It came in a wooden jewel case with painted artwork on it. 3.5/5.

newtrix1
03-05-2004, 04:04 AM
An "unplugged" style live recording of China Crisis performing some of thier better material. I've only listened once, but I guess I'd rate it a 3. After listening, it left me wanting to pull a studio album like Diary of a Hollow Horse (which I did, and enjoyed more).

Mike
03-05-2004, 04:29 AM
Air - Talkie Walkie

It's electronica/ambient pop stuff with some vocals

Rating out of 5, I'll give it a 4 for now lots of immediate likeable tracks

Cheers
Mike

tentoze
03-05-2004, 04:56 AM
Jolie Holland, Catalpa- Minimalist Appalachian Roots music with modern lyrics influenced by Dolly Parton and Syd Barrett. And a W. B Yeats poem set to music, the same one that T. Rapp set to music on his Journal of the Plague Year- it's a small world. Beautiful album. 3.5/5.

Slosh
03-05-2004, 05:09 AM
...but that'll change later today. On my wishlist:

Cansecos - s/t
The Black Heart Procession - 2 and/or 3
Richard Davies - Telegraph (hopefully on vinyl)

There still hasn't been a 2004 release (that I'm aware of) that I want yet.

NP: Davey's Fun In The Sun (thanks :) )

~Slosh - whiney bastard

nobody
03-05-2004, 05:16 AM
Actually went on a bit of a spending spree last weekend. I'll just list the one I've probably listened to the most of the bunch this week.

<b>Telefon Tel Aviv: Map of What is Effortless</b>, which I've already talked about in the Wednesday thread. Blend of various electronic styles with laid back R&B, featuring a live orchestral backing. Ranges from nearly radio ready grooves to ambient experiments. I guess I'd put it somewhere around a 4 of 5.

Oh, and I have to mention that the new <b>Horrorpops: Hell Yeah!</b> kicks ass too. Fast-paced, rockabilly fun with attitude, hooks, and punk leanings, another 4 of 5.

Waiting for the new Savath & Savalas to get here in the mail.

jasn
03-05-2004, 05:16 AM
Picked up Los Lonely Boys at Walmart for $10. With high expectations, first listen was a little deflating, sounding a little too much like over-produced Indigenous. Second time around and its grooving a bit better. I think this is music for warmer weather , of which I am waiting for...

Dave_G
03-05-2004, 05:56 AM
2) It's a transitional album for Gary, not really very strong at all, a few good toons, has an annoying repetitive synth percussion sound in every toon that annoys me, but it's ok, nothing more, not a must have Numan title by any stretch.

3) I'll give it a 6.5 out of 10.

I paid 12 bucks for it and it's the most recent remaster.

At the same time I bought a killer mag. called "Rock", it's a British mag. Best part and worst part at the same time is the concerts listed in the back. Sheesh if I lived over in the UK I'd be at a gig every weekend.

Dave

Dusty Chalk
03-05-2004, 06:26 AM
It's been a while...I think the last thing I got was the new Lamb, Between Darkness and Wonder -- it's not their most accessible release, there are no immediate "singles" that leap out, and several of the tracks are more experimental than usual (the opening track is probably the most -- and daringly -- so). Still, after a couple of repeated listens, it's a grower. Jury's still out, so this is by no means my final verdict, but I'd say 3.5/5 -- only because they've set such high standards for themselves with previous albums.

audiobill
03-05-2004, 06:31 AM
[

At the same time I bought a killer mag. called "Rock", it's a British mag. Best part and worst part at the same time is the concerts listed in the back. Sheesh if I lived over in the UK I'd be at a gig every weekend.

I'm always looking for new music mags....I'll be on the lookout for this one.

thanks,
Bill

audiobill
03-05-2004, 06:34 AM
Actually went on a bit of a spending spree last weekend. I'll just list the one I've probably listened to the most of the bunch this week.

<b>Telefon Tel Aviv: Map of What is Effortless</b>, which I've already talked about in the Wednesday thread. Blend of various electronic styles with laid back R&B, featuring a live orchestral backing. Ranges from nearly radio ready grooves to ambient experiments. I guess I'd put it somewhere around a 4 of 5.

Oh, and I have to mention that the new <b>Horrorpops: Hell Yeah!</b> kicks ass too. Fast-paced, rockabilly fun with attitude, hooks, and punk leanings, another 4 of 5.

Waiting for the new Savath & Savalas to get here in the mail.

Is Savalas a heavy kind of band?? Never heard of them before.

Who loves ya baby,
Bill

nobody
03-05-2004, 06:39 AM
Nope. Savath & Savalas is a project of Scott Herrin from Prefuse 73. The latest record is actually done in Spanish, featuring vocals from a girl from Barcelona, where Herrin spent some time recently. The whole thing's got a kind of Brazillian/Latin vibe, really laid back with a mix of acoustic and electronic instruments.

Nothing heavy at all.

If you want heavy, I did recently start listening to Texas Terri and the Stiff Ones. I've seen her described as a famale Iggy Pop. I can go with that. Thrashy trashy stuff.

audiobill
03-05-2004, 06:46 AM
Air - Talkie Walkie

It's electronica/ambient pop stuff with some vocals

Rating out of 5, I'll give it a 4 for now lots of immediate likeable tracks

Cheers
Mike

Do you have the Air soundtrack to The Virgin Suicides??
It's very cool.

Moon Safari is also worth seeking out. I'll have to give Air's latest a listen.
Cheers,
Bill

audiobill
03-05-2004, 06:54 AM
Picked up Los Lonely Boys at Walmart for $10. With high expectations, first listen was a little deflating, sounding a little too much like over-produced Indigenous. Second time around and its grooving a bit better. I think this is music for warmer weather , of which I am waiting for...

It's weird how some music gets stored away for the winter months -- it just doesn't resonate the same as it does when summer rolls around.

audiobill
03-05-2004, 06:56 AM
2) It's a transitional album for Gary, not really very strong at all, a few good toons, has an annoying repetitive synth percussion sound in every toon that annoys me, but it's ok, nothing more, not a must have Numan title by any stretch.

3) I'll give it a 6.5 out of 10.

I paid 12 bucks for it and it's the most recent remaster.

Dave

What would be your 2 "must have" Numan discs?? Are they remastered??
Thanks, Bill

DarrenH
03-05-2004, 06:57 AM
Isildurs Bane - Mind vol 4: Pass 1

Just got it in the mail yesterday and I haven't listened to it yet.

But I'd say prior to that it was Return To Forever - Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy.

Chick Corea fronted fusion released in 1973. Al DiMeola would not appear until the next RTF release "Where Have I Known You Before" but Bill Connors does a fantastic job on guitar. I liked his aggressive playing style. A good effort with a distinct "rock" approach that was not seen in the previous two releases.

3.5/5

Darren

audiobill
03-05-2004, 07:01 AM
Jolie Holland, Catalpa- Minimalist Appalachian Roots music with modern lyrics influenced by Dolly Parton and Syd Barrett. And a W. B Yeats poem set to music, the same one that T. Rapp set to music on his Journal of the Plague Year- it's a small world. Beautiful album. 3.5/5.

Wow that's quite the pairing of influences. My interest is definitely piqued.

Btw., Have you listened to any of Johnny Dowd's music?? I think you'd like it.

Lmk, if you haven't,

Bill

audiobill
03-05-2004, 07:26 AM
It's been a while...I think the last thing I got was the new Lamb, Between Darkness and Wonder -- it's not their most accessible release, there are no immediate "singles" that leap out, and several of the tracks are more experimental than usual (the opening track is probably the most -- and daringly -- so). Still, after a couple of repeated listens, it's a grower. Jury's still out, so this is by no means my final verdict, but I'd say 3.5/5 -- only because they've set such high standards for themselves with previous albums.

One of our RR faithful hooked me into their latest.
Is it just me or does Lamb need to be played loud to be enjoyed??
Cheers,
Bill

tentoze
03-05-2004, 07:27 AM
Wow that's quite the pairing of influences. My interest is definitely piqued.

Btw., Have you listened to any of Johnny Dowd's music?? I think you'd like it.

Lmk, if you haven't,

Bill
Bill,

I've got all of Dowd's cd's. My kinda music- sick and twisted............

:p

Dusty Chalk
03-05-2004, 07:33 AM
One of our RR faithful hooked me into their latest.
Is it just me or does Lamb need to be played loud to be enjoyed??It's just you.

No, seriously, I've never thought of that. I don't really associate their music with being played loudly. I'll give it a shot, though, I've been wrong before.

Dave_G
03-05-2004, 07:40 AM
Probably the two to get would be:

1) The Pleasure Principle

2) Telekon

or

2.5) Replicas

Telekon is kind of dark yet light.

Hard to say, but choose 2 of the above 3 and you can't go wrong.

Yes, they are all remastered now.

Also real good is the 2 disc sets "Living Ornaments", live in 79 and 81 I believe, but get the studio stuff in your head first.

Dave

Dusty Chalk
03-05-2004, 07:43 AM
What would be your 2 "must have" Numan discs?? Are they remastered??I'm not Dave, but I'd like to pipe in here:

The Pleasure Principle (aka the one with "Cars" on it) -- a lot of people agree that it was his creative peak, and it certainly is one of his best albums. Yes, it's remastered, with bonus tracks including a cover of "On Broadway".

My other one is not from his classic period: Exile -- this is latter day Numan, very chunky, dark, but still very "new romantic". Highly recommended. "Absolution" is his best song ever. There's two versions of this -- regular and extended. Either one is okay, really. If you're one of those people who want to get more for your money, get the extended one, but the essence of the songs exist in the regular version. I actually think the extended version tries one's patience a little bit, so I would lean towards the regular version.

But if you want to stick to classic Numan, I would recommend Replicas -- that seems to be the other one that most people love the most. And yes, it is also remastered with bonus tracks.

Starting with Telekon, he shifted gears and started using Mick Karn on fretless bass, and ended up sounding more new romantic and less new wavey. Personally, I think this peaked with Dance, which great tracks like "Slowcar to China" (sounding very Japan-y), plus the remaster has the delightful deep cut, "Stormtrooper in Drag". (From this period, there's also I, Assassin.)

Mike
03-05-2004, 08:05 AM
It's very cool.

Moon Safari is also worth seeking out. I'll have to give Air's latest a listen.
Cheers,
Bill

Bill, I've not heard Virgin Suicides I'll maybe need to check it out, my only exposure to Air is Moon Safari and a couple of tracks here and there on comps.

The latest one is getting rave reviews at the moment, much better than their last album by all accounts but I've not heard the last one so can't comment. I rate is as good as, maybe better than Moon Safari.

Cheers
Mike

Whooptee
03-05-2004, 10:56 AM
It's very cool.

I concur with audiobill on this one. The Virgin Suicide s/t is very nice. Sofia
Coppola must be pretty cool, because the music in Lost in Translation
was also very well done and it was an excellent movie to boot

John

Davey
03-05-2004, 11:42 AM
I think the only one I've actually bought since the beginning of December is the last Leona Naess CD that I've recently talked a little about. Kind of fell in love with her after seeing her close out the Letterman show with the Ballerina song from this CD. Completely mesmerizing and totally adorable. I picked it up at Best Buy for under $10 and can't say I'm totally satisfied, but it really is a good album and I'm liking it more and more with each listen. Maybe it sometimes ventures a little closer to the sound of someone like KD Lang than I normally like to go, but that's OK.....she's got some Tori Amos sensibility mixed in to keep it interesting. Call it 3.5/5 and rising.

But if I were to ignore the "buy" stipulation in your post, I'd go with the latest from The Moonbabies that I've been raving about. The Orange Billboard. Haven't bought a real copy yet, but will before too much longer. That one would be a solid 4.5/5 for me. Love it.

Slosh
03-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Did you ever get the latest Califone album? I almost picked it up today (mostly because they were selling the LP for $7.99) but decided against it for now since I did buy BHP 3 (finally) and didn't want two somber-ish things at once. Didn't find anything else I wanted, though :(

I was also looking for The Decemberists The Train EP but I guess it hasn't been officially released yet. Black Sabbath-influenced Decemberists has got to be interesting. Actually I can see them pulling it off. I always thought "Odalisque" sounded like a metal song - minus the effects pedals.

tentoze
03-05-2004, 01:09 PM
I was also looking for The Decemberists The Train EP but I guess it hasn't been officially released yet. Black Sabbath-influenced Decemberists has got to be interesting. Actually I can see them pulling it off. I always thought "Odalisque" sounded like a metal song - minus the effects pedals.
Insound seems to have it. I just read about it there this AM, but figgered I'd look locally first...............and I agree that the description of the style does sound like quite a trick to pull off.

http://insound.com/annex/search.cfm?query=the+tain

ForeverAutumn
03-05-2004, 01:21 PM
Hello, folks.
It's Friday, so let's play a little game.

1. List your most recent buy

2. Provide a word or two about it

3. Give it a rating out of 5 (5 being "must have")

Cool idea Bill.

Well, I haven't had time to listen to my last four purchases yet, so I'm gonna have to go back five purchases to play this game.

The CD is Chain, Reconstruct.

This is a prog record through and through. A brilliant (IMHO) concept album about the beginnings of the world through to the end of the world as we will know it, using the theory of evolution as it's basis. There are some wonderful songs on this disk including two instrumentals. Several sociological concepts are discussed including evolution vs. religion and how humans treat the planet (the planet is fine, the people are ****ed) Both the lyrics and the music make this an interesting listen.

I would give this disk a 4.5 out of 5 for fans of Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, and Spock's Beard. But if you don't like prog, then consider this to be a 2 out of 5.

DarrenH
03-05-2004, 01:42 PM
Cool idea Bill.

Well, I haven't had time to listen to my last four purchases yet, so I'm gonna have to go back five purchases to play this game.

This is a prog record through and through. A brilliant (IMHO) concept album about the beginnings of the world through to the end of the world as we will know it, using the theory of evolution as it's basis. There are some wonderful songs on this disk including two instrumentals. Several sociological concepts are discussed including evolution vs. religion and how humans treat the planet (the planet is fine, the people are ****ed) Both the lyrics and the music make this an interesting listen.

I would give this disk a 4.5 out of 5 for fans of Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, and Spock's Beard. But if you don't like prog, then consider this to be a 2 out of 5.

Glad you liked that Chain FA. I think it's a pretty cool album as well. I sent a copy to Troy but I haven't heard a word from him regarding it. Me thinks he doesn't like but what do I know.

Darren

Davey
03-05-2004, 01:43 PM
Did you ever get the latest Califone album?
No new Califone for me. I did hold the LP in my hands down at Stinkweeds a little while before the CD came out, but held off. Supposed to be a good one, at least according to the critics. J said a couple weeks ago that he listened to it as his first Califone album and only thought it was OK, but Califone doesn't really strike me as a good fit for him as they're more of a sound band than a song band. But sooner or later I'm sure it will wind up in my player or my turntable. I already have 4 Califone CDs plus some downloaded stuff so there's bigger fish to fry right now.

Hey, speaking of Black Heart Procession, I've been listening to some cool stuff lately. First there's the whole Three Mile Pilot thing that Pall and Tobias had going on with Armistead Burwell Smith IV (who later went on to form Pinback, another pretty cool band) before BHP. A couple pretty solid albums and most of it available online. Been looking to buy the Chief Assassin To The Sinister one that came out right before Geffen signed them, which Geffen then released with extra tracks before dumping the band, but it's now OOP in that version. It includes a cool song called Inner Bishop that I really like. Anyway, to make a short story into a long one, I checked with a couple people that have it for sale on half.com but they are selling the indie version on Headhunter. Guess I'll keep looking. The one after that is supposed to be very good too. And of course all the BHP stuff is excellent, but the Three Mile Pilot is more rocking. Pinback is cool too, kind of a Sunny Day Real Estate sound. Their Some Voices EP was very hot, hopefully the upcoming in August?? album will be too. Didn't hear the lastest EP yet.

Also BHP just did one of the In The Fishtank series releases with Solbakken that is due out Tuesday. I'd no idea who Solbakken is but aparently they are a Dutch prog band and I did listen to one of the songs that's available for download at http://www.stayfun.co.uk/recommends/fishtank.asp called A Taste of You and Me and it's pretty f<a>uckin' darn cool too. Definitely one to check out. Way too much going on in the music world for my little hands to grab on to. :(

Stone
03-05-2004, 03:20 PM
Hey, speaking of Black Heart Procession, I've been listening to some cool stuff lately. First there's the whole Three Mile Pilot thing that Pall and Tobias had going on with Armistead Burwell Smith IV (who later went on to form Pinback, another pretty cool band) before BHP. A couple pretty solid albums and most of it available online. Been looking to buy the Chief Assassin To The Sinister one that came out right before Geffen signed them, which Geffen then released with extra tracks before dumping the band, but it's now OOP in that version. It includes a cool song called Inner Bishop that I really like. Anyway, to make a short story into a long one, I checked with a couple people that have it for sale on half.com but they are selling the indie version on Headhunter. Guess I'll keep looking. The one after that is supposed to be very good too. And of course all the BHP stuff is excellent, but the Three Mile Pilot is more rocking. Pinback is cool too, kind of a Sunny Day Real Estate sound. Their Some Voices EP was very hot, hopefully the upcoming in August?? album will be too. Didn't hear the lastest EP yet.

I have a couple Three Mile Pilot CDs, but I can't even remember which ones I have (although I don't think either one is Chief Assassin to the Sinister). Good stuff, though. As you said, much more rocking than BHP. Is Pinback all instrumental?

Davey
03-05-2004, 03:33 PM
I have a couple Three Mile Pilot CDs, but I can't even remember which ones I have (although I don't think either one is Chief Assassin to the Sinister). Good stuff, though. As you said, much more rocking than BHP. Is Pinback all instrumental?
Pinback isn't instrumental. I don't know if it's Armistead Burwell Smith IV or Rob Crow on vocals, or maybe both. Good stuff. Did you get the Absolutely Kosher sampler with your copy of The Meadowlands? It has a Pinback song on it from the EP.

DPM
03-05-2004, 03:54 PM
because, while I was out taking advantage of the 78 degree weather here in the burgh, I stopped at the local used CD/DVD emporium to see if anything interesting had shown up on the shelves. I left the store with the folowing:

1) AC/DC For Those About To Rock (latest remaster $6.00) This isn't a bad recording, but it was becoming clear that the band was running out of ideas. I give it a 3 out of 5.

2) Blackmore's Night Ghost Of A Rose ($8.00) I haven't listened to this yet.

3) Iron Butterfly In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (remaster $5.00) This is playing in the computer as I type, and it is definitely a product of its time. I bought this CD for In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, and it looks like that is probably the only decent tune on here. Oh well, it was only five bucks. My score is 2 out of 5.

I also got some DVDs--Star Trek Voyager: Season One for $30.00 and The Fellowship Of The Ring extended edition for $20.00.

Not a bad haul if I do say so myself.

Dave M

Dusty Chalk
03-05-2004, 05:14 PM
Speaking of BHP -- have you heard Maquiladora?

audiobill
03-06-2004, 08:46 AM
Cool idea Bill.

I, too, love a good concept album/CD. They seem to be too far and rare these days. "Chain" sounds very intriguing, esp. with the underpinnings of evo/socio.

I'll have to seek this one out.
Cheers,
Bill

audiobill
03-06-2004, 08:53 AM
because, while I was out taking advantage of the 78 degree weather here in the burgh, I stopped at the local used CD/DVD emporium to see if anything interesting had shown up on the shelves. I left the store with the folowing:

1) AC/DC For Those About To Rock (latest remaster $6.00) This isn't a bad recording, but it was becoming clear that the band was running out of ideas. I give it a 3 out of 5.

2) Blackmore's Night Ghost Of A Rose ($8.00) I haven't listened to this yet.

3) Iron Butterfly In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (remaster $5.00) This is playing in the computer as I type, and it is definitely a product of its time. I bought this CD for In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, and it looks like that is probably the only decent tune on here. Oh well, it was only five bucks. My score is 2 out of 5.

I also got some DVDs--Star Trek Voyager: Season One for $30.00 and The Fellowship Of The Ring extended edition for $20.00.

Not a bad haul if I do say so myself.

Dave M

Those are some awesome prices on the DVD sets!! Lmk, if you get a moment, what the picture quality on that Season One Voyager is like..... audiobill

Davey
03-06-2004, 08:58 AM
Speaking of BHP -- have you heard Maquiladora?
I listened to the first two songs at their site and it sounds pretty good, kind of a slow Yo La Tengo sound with hint of Giant Sand, maybe? Not all that distinctive and kind of meandering without much payoff, though. What do you think? I'd rather hear YLT, but the personnel on board is kind of impressive, even if the music isn't. You should give a listen to that BHP & Solbakken song I mentioned above. It's very neato!

audiobill
03-06-2004, 09:00 AM
I think the only one I've actually bought since the beginning of December is the last Leona Naess CD that I've recently talked a little about. Kind of fell in love with her after seeing her close out the Letterman show with the Ballerina song from this CD. Completely mesmerizing and totally adorable. I picked it up at Best Buy for under $10 and can't say I'm totally satisfied, but it really is a good album and I'm liking it more and more with each listen. Maybe it sometimes ventures a little closer to the sound of someone like KD Lang than I normally like to go, but that's OK.....she's got some Tori Amos sensibility mixed in to keep it interesting. Call it 3.5/5 and rising.

But if I were to ignore the "buy" stipulation in your post, I'd go with the latest from The Moonbabies that I've been raving about. The Orange Billboard. Haven't bought a real copy yet, but will before too much longer. That one would be a solid 4.5/5 for me. Love it.

sounds like someone my wife might enjoy (I mean that in the best possible sense, Dave).
She is a big KD Lang fan and I'm not (although I am warming up to the duet CD with Tony B.); but, I am a big fan of Tori Amos...so, Leona sounds like a perfect match.
thnx for the preview,
Bill

Stone
03-06-2004, 11:20 AM
Pinback isn't instrumental. I don't know if it's Armistead Burwell Smith IV or Rob Crow on vocals, or maybe both. Good stuff. Did you get the Absolutely Kosher sampler with your copy of The Meadowlands? It has a Pinback song on it from the EP.

I did get that sampler, but I only listened to it once and I can't remember what Pinback sounded like. I'll have to pull that out and listen to it if I ever get to go home.

Dusty Chalk
03-06-2004, 11:21 AM
I listened to the first two songs at their site and it sounds pretty good, kind of a slow Yo La Tengo sound with hint of Giant Sand, maybe? Not all that distinctive and kind of meandering without much payoff, though. What do you think? I'd rather hear YLT, but the personnel on board is kind of impressive, even if the music isn't. You should give a listen to that BHP & Solbakken song I mentioned above. It's very neato!Well, I agree that it's no BHP, but I liked it better than the last BHP album. It wasn't everything that that album wasn't, but it was some of what that album wasn't. It resonated with me just a little bit more than average. I liked it more than Broken Social Scene, let's put it that way. Not a fair comparison, but still...

Yeah, I'm getting that In The Fishtank album as soon as I can.

Davey
03-06-2004, 11:55 AM
Well, I agree that it's no BHP, but I liked it better than the last BHP album. It wasn't everything that that album wasn't, but it was some of what that album wasn't. It resonated with me just a little bit more than average. I liked it more than Broken Social Scene, let's put it that way. Not a fair comparison, but still...

Yeah, I'm getting that In The Fishtank album as soon as I can.
The two songs I listened to were "Dr. Said No" and "Drunk and Lighting Fires (A Waltz)". They have a bunch more at the site so maybe I'll give a listen to a couple more. That first one just didn't go anyplace for me and wasn't very interesting. It was also punctuated by some chirping sounds kind of like crickets that doesn't sound too cool on my cheapo notebook stereo. Probably sound a lot better on the little big rig. That second one was more interesting, especially after it started rocking out, but the vocal part was a bit weak. Que sera. I like the last BHP quite a lot. Not as much as 2 or 3, but a lot. "Why I Stay" is one of their best songs, I think. Some nice saw on that one. In fact, I think that whole middle section is outstanding. Maybe even their best group of songs. What a great band. Could've fit right at home style on 3. And of course, you already know that I like that Broken Social Scene a lot too. We get close at times...but it's funny how our tastes diverge at certain points :)

Did you have a chance yet to listen to the Kinski songs that close the Psychotropic Bliss version of my Fun in the Sun comp? Bet you like that, but don't think I'll put any big bucks on it just yet ;)

Let me know if you score that In the Fishtank. It's high on my list too. Something about the description "Dutch prog rock" that makes me just a bit hesitant, though :)

hifitommy
03-06-2004, 01:37 PM
with crazy horse, a cd/dvd combo for cheeeep.

its a story and you have to pay attention to the details. good music, typical young. the dvd is pretty much the same as the cd except with the visuals.

Dusty Chalk
03-06-2004, 11:31 PM
We get close at times...but it's funny how our tastes diverge at certain points :)So true.
Did you have a chance yet to listen to the Kinski songs that close the Psychotropic Bliss version of my Fun in the Sun comp? Not yet.
Let me know if you score that In the Fishtank. It's high on my list too. Something about the description "Dutch prog rock" that makes me just a bit hesitant, though :)Heh-heh, will do.

DPM
03-07-2004, 05:14 PM
Those are some awesome prices on the DVD sets!! Lmk, if you get a moment, what the picture quality on that Season One Voyager is like..... audiobill

I haven't had a chance to watch the Voyager stuff yet, but there is a fairly descriptive review at digitalbits.com. You should check out that site.

Dave M

Dusty Chalk
03-17-2004, 02:31 PM
Let me know if you score that In the Fishtank. It's high on my list too. Something about the description "Dutch prog rock" that makes me just a bit hesitant, though :)I picked it up. It was pretty short (~34 minutes) but it was also pretty cheap (US$9). Track 5 alone was worth the price of entry for me. It's over 10 minutes of the sort of track I miss off of Amore del Tropico.

NP: Sibelius from Naxos (Iceland Symphony Orchestra/Petri Sakari boxset)

Davey
03-17-2004, 04:11 PM
I picked it up. It was pretty short (~34 minutes) but it was also pretty cheap (US$9). Track 5 alone was worth the price of entry for me. It's over 10 minutes of the sort of track I miss off of Amore del Tropico.
Thanks for the info. Knew already that it was just an EP as are the others in the series, although the only other one I have is the Low + Dirty Three - In the Fishtank 7 which is about 30 minutes of excellence. So, do they stay pretty far away from that Dutch prog? Or is that what you like about the 10 minute song?

Hehehe, I'll have to check it out. I want it. You must have a pretty well stocked music hangout there.

NP: Goat by the Jesus Lizard (sounds kind of anti-Sibelius although it does have its symphonic moments)

Dusty Chalk
03-17-2004, 04:25 PM
Knew already that it was just an EP as are the others in the series...I didn't think the length mattered. It's whatever they come up with in two days, according to the back. I suppose if you had a really successful pairing, you could have several hours worth of good material. It's hard to come up with actual songs though, in that kind of timeframe, so I presume 30 minutes is about average.
So, do they stay pretty far away from that Dutch prog? Or is that what you like about the 10 minute song?What I like about the 10 minute song is that it is pure, unadulterated, classic BHP.

There's nothing wrong with prog, you...you...critic, you. They also mention on the back that they pick what sound like to them good pairings (the radio station that sponsors this). I may have to check out Solbakken further.
You must have a pretty well stocked music hangout there.I've actually been cutting back on the new acquisitions (yes, I know, me and everyone else on this board), but yes, even so, it's still pretty well-stocked. This one was hard to resist, though.

Davey
03-17-2004, 04:36 PM
I've actually been cutting back on the new acquisitions, but yes, even so, it's still pretty well-stocked.
Actually, I was referring to the store where you bought it since I assumed it might be hard to find locally. Maybe not though. I haven't bought anything for a while myself but a good buddy here sent me a demo copy of the new Ghost - Hypnotic Underworld and I've been enjoying that one a lot, even if it does lean a bit heavily on jazz fusion and prog flavored psychedelia. Or maybe because it does. Gonna have to spring for the real deal before too much longer. Gotta support Drag City. Have you heard that one? Pretty darn cool.

NP: Goat is gone and Ghost is on

Dusty Chalk
03-17-2004, 04:41 PM
No, it (BHP/S - ITF11) wasn't too hard to find, and no, I haven't heard that one (G - HU). I think I would like to hear it before I get it, as I got a little scared off by their previous one (no that's not a hint). I did end up liking it, so have to admit to being curious, but it took several listens. Which, in itself, is normally not a bad thing (some of my favourite albums take several listens), but I never warmed up to it more than "medium".

Davey
03-17-2004, 05:31 PM
I think I would like to hear it before I get it, as I got a little scared off by their previous one (no that's not a hint). I did end up liking it, so have to admit to being curious, but it took several listens. Which, in itself, is normally not a bad thing (some of my favourite albums take several listens), but I never warmed up to it more than "medium".
I guess they haven't had an album out for about 5 years now, although they did do that one with Damon and Naomi which I heard some of. Didn't sound much like this though. But from what I've read about this one in relation to the past (this being my first exposure beyond the Damon and Naomi thing) it's pretty much "meet the new bong, same as the old bong" so you may not warm up to it either. It does live mostly in the late 60s/early 70s age of experimentation, blending the sound of bands like Pink Floyd, Spirit, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Ten Years After and maybe even some Led Zep. And even a dose of Celtic that tentoze has mentioned and that brings in the Fairport Convention folk-rock sound and lots of flute that lends a definite Jethro Tull sound to my ear. Lots to like.....or dislike, depending on your perspective. Still not sure how much I like it but I do keep listening to it :)

tentoze
03-17-2004, 05:50 PM
Lots to like.....or dislike, depending on your perspective. Still not sure how much I like it but I do keep listening to it :)
The more I listened, the more I found to like. Too much going on in it to judge it after one or two spins, at least that was MY narrow experience with it. I brought it back to FL with me yesterday for an airing out on the real stereo, and it's even more impressive........louder is better.

:p

PPG
03-17-2004, 07:27 PM
Supersonic Guitars in 3D - Los Straitjackets - fun to listen to but it sounds like the masked axemen are treading water a bit. ("Giggle Water?")

Mr MidFi
03-18-2004, 01:05 PM
I finally bought Porky Tree's In Absentia. It was a DVD-A / DTS / PCM 2.0 disc at Best Buy for 14.99 American. My DVD player wouldn't recognize it. So I'm going to return it. Anyone else have this problem?

Also bought the 30th anniversary remaster of Santana III, but I haven't played it yet.

DarrenH
03-18-2004, 01:41 PM
I finally bought Porky Tree's In Absentia. It was a DVD-A / DTS / PCM 2.0 disc at Best Buy for 14.99 American. My DVD player wouldn't recognize it. So I'm going to return it. Anyone else have this problem?

Also bought the 30th anniversary remaster of Santana III, but I haven't played it yet.

That's a bummer. How old is your DVD player?

Mine is at least 5 years old and predates all this DVD-A stuff. The users manual specifically says that it will only play back CD's and DVD's. And they are right, it won't recognize CDR's. I have no idea if it will recognize a DVD-A or not.

Maybe it's time for me to upgrade.

Dusty Chalk
03-18-2004, 01:51 PM
I have an older DVD player (Pioneer DVL-919 -- the one that also plays laserdiscs) and it didn't have any problem playing the DVD-V layer.

Mr MidFi
03-18-2004, 02:23 PM
I have the Toshiba 3109, which is notoriously picky about what it will read (no CD-Rs, etc.). I have played DTS-CDs on it many times, though, so I was fully expecting it to read the DTS portion of this disc (or at least the PCM 2-channel layer). Instead, I get the blinking "LOADING" prompt forever.

Oh well.