Connecting old speaker into newish system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Connecting old speaker into newish system

ddssaa
03-04-2004, 11:32 PM
I work in a hardware shop and the shop has a speaker system in the shop, but no speakers out the back where I work the most. I found an old speaker, when I try and connect it into the system the speaker goes extremely loud, but in the shop you can bearly here anything out of the other speakers.

Do I need to put some sort of component in before connecting the speaker? :confused:

Any help will be greatly appreciated. :)

ddssaa
04-12-2004, 02:41 AM
HELP ME PLEASE :mad:

chimera128
04-12-2004, 06:25 AM
I think maybe it would be easier to buy a boom box of some sort, or bring a clock radio or something like it.

RGA
04-12-2004, 10:05 AM
You should NOT be connecting more than one set of speakers to the speaker terminals on the amp. We did that at McDonalds when I worked there and amplifiers don't like that one reason we went through many receivers over two years. Of course they blew with one set too because aparantly JVC Sony and Yamaha didn't like running 20 hours a day at moderate volumes.

The volume on the speaker has everything to do with sensitivity of the speaker and NOT the wattage. Most people don't understand that watts are indierectly related to volume level and most of the time totally irrelevant.

Mr Peabody
04-12-2004, 07:09 PM
Many businesses who play music throughout a building will need to run several speakers and have many feet of wire to go from one speaker to another, so they will use a special amp, from the likes of Bogen or Shure, that provides a 70v tap. I can't remember if this also requires special speakers or just some type of adaptor at the speaker. It's been awhile since I played with PA so I don't even remember what type of connection a 70v has but it will be noticeably different than a regular receiver speaker connection. So give a look at the amp, if it's a 70v that could account for your problem.