Vinyl Finds Today [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Finds Today

JDaniel
03-04-2004, 08:46 PM
I haven't bought any vinyl since back around Christmas. I dropped in the Thrift Store today to peruse the LPs. I found:

BB King Lucille Talks Back (1975)

BB King To Know You Is To Love You (1973)

Bobby Bland Reflections In Blue (1977)

Elton John 21 At 33

I'm listening to Lucille Talks Back on my vintage system (Marantz Receiver, Advent Speakers, Elac Miracord TT) and it sounds fantastic. I didn't have any of these albums previously, either on cd or LP.

Tis a great way to end the day.

JD

DarrenH
03-05-2004, 06:39 AM
Jeff,

What model is your Marantz receiver? I always loved the looks of those 70's Marantz units. In fact, I'm always on the lookout for one.

I'm a bit of a vintage collector myself. Currently running a Pioneer SX-1250. Sure is a sweet unit but a Marantz would be the icing on the cake.

Not familiar with your TT though.

Have fun playing with your new vinyl. Those were some great scores, especially the BB King.

Darren

Dave_G
03-05-2004, 07:53 AM
I'm on the fence with vinyl.

I love it but the sound quality is just for the most part inferior to me anymore.

And I used to be a vinyl freak.

But you can score tons of toons for cheap thats for sure.

Also my stylus is bent (thank you my sweet 3 year old!) so even if I wanted to play lp's I can't.

However, the new Deep Purple new on lp is $28.99 at my local vinyl shop!!!! Good gawd!

Dave

Sealed
03-05-2004, 09:27 AM
New vinyl:

Beethovens 9th- Solti/CSO London/Decca) 1972 original master recording

Eva Cassidy/songbird… 10000 print limited edition/ heavy vinyl

Elgar concertos/ Jaqueline du pre/EMI

Pink Panther/ mancini/Rca dynagroove

Linda Ronstat/for sentimental reasons/asylum

Glenn Miller story

Queen greatest hits

Steely Dan 1972/78

JDaniel
03-05-2004, 08:14 PM
Jeff,

What model is your Marantz receiver? I always loved the looks of those 70's Marantz units. In fact, I'm always on the lookout for one.

I'm a bit of a vintage collector myself. Currently running a Pioneer SX-1250. Sure is a sweet unit but a Marantz would be the icing on the cake.

Not familiar with your TT though.

Have fun playing with your new vinyl. Those were some great scores, especially the BB King.

Darren
Darren,

I've got vintage stuff everywhere. It's becoming a hobby that's on the verge of out of control. But I find this stuff at thrift stores and garage sales for dirt cheap. I could make money on this stuff, but I just keep it and play around with it myself.

My Marantz is nothing fancy, although it has served me well for 20+ years now. I got it in 1981, which is during the beginning of the "decline" that happened with almost all audio co's around 1980 (cheap black plastic cases, less powerful amps etc.). Mine is a Marantz Gold system (gold case). I still have the receiver and cassette decks.

My prize vintage items are a Technics SA-700 true 100 watt/ch receiver, made in 1978, sold for $700 then. This beast has a beautiful wood cabinet, and weighs in at just over 41 lbs. Beautiful meters, as well as LED meters.

I also have a 1970 or 71 Sansui 2000X receiver that is drop dead gorgeous, and sounds better than it looks. Another beautiful wood case.

I also have some vintage Advent and KLH speakers which still sound sweet.

And my TT actually came out of a radio station. Elac (made in West Germany) made them for several manufacturers. Mine is a Realistic. It sits in a beautiful wood case. All 4 feet have leveling springs and sit almost suspended in the wood case.

I also was given, as in free, last week a 70s era KLH Model 26 all in one TT & amp. I'm in the process of cleaning it up and checking it out before using it. It too is in a beautiful walnut case.

I'll have to take some pics and post them sometime. Vintage stuff is a fun habit.

JD