Infinity Beta HCS [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Infinity Beta HCS

ornassis
02-27-2008, 04:43 AM
Hey!

Does anyone have any experience on Infinity Beta HCS speaker system? I'm looking for a set (5.1) in the same price range and this one caught my attention.

The idea is to watch movies and listen to music as well. Do you have another set in mind?

I have the Pioneer VSX-916 amplifier. Thank you for your replies!

codecougar
02-27-2008, 05:24 PM
I am not familiar with the Infinity Beta HCS speaker system and I do not see it on the Infinity site. Do you have a link to the speakers you are referring to?

I do own a pair of Infinity Beta 20's and a Beta C360 and use them for music and in a 5.1 HT system along with a pair of Infinity surrounds and a sub. I think they sound amazing and are a great deal for the money.

ornassis
02-27-2008, 10:15 PM
You can find the set here:

http://www.infinityloudspeakers.com.au/beta.html

and here:

http://www.infinitysystems.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=BETAHCS/230&ser=BET&Language=ENG&Region=EUROPE&Country=FI

codecougar
02-28-2008, 06:05 AM
I have never been a big fan of these all in one systems. It looks OK. I am not sure if those are the standard Infinity Beta speakers they are using. I don't believe they are. Also, the subwoofer looks huge, but is only 100 watts.

I suppose it would be "ok" for a basic system, but you would probably be better off buying the speakers separately. I would recommend the Beta 20's for the fronts and surrounds, a matched center like the Beta C250 and a decent subwoofer. Price it out and see if this HCS system is that much cheaper.

ornassis
02-29-2008, 01:33 AM
I have never been a big fan of these all in one systems. It looks OK. I am not sure if those are the standard Infinity Beta speakers they are using. I don't believe they are. Also, the subwoofer looks huge, but is only 100 watts.

I suppose it would be "ok" for a basic system, but you would probably be better off buying the speakers separately. I would recommend the Beta 20's for the fronts and surrounds, a matched center like the Beta C250 and a decent subwoofer. Price it out and see if this HCS system is that much cheaper.

The satellites are 300 x 156 x 190mm (11-13/16" x 6-1/8" x 7-1/2")
And the sub is 400 x 305 x 429mm (15-3/4" x 12" x 16-7/8")

Other specs:
Satellite
Frequency Range 64 Hz - 40 kHz (±6dB)
Recommended Power Amplifier Range 10 - 100 watts
Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m) 86dB
Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms
Crossover Frequency 2800Hz, 24dB/octave
Low-Frequency Driver 100mm (4") CMMD™, magnetically shielded
High-Frequency Driver 19mm (3/4") CMMD, magnetically shielded
Dimensions
(H x W x D) 300 x 156 x 190mm (11-13/16" x 6-1/8" x 7-1/2")
Weight 3.6kg (7.9 lb)

Center Channel
Frequency Range 70 Hz - 40 kHz (±6dB)
Recommended Power Amplifier Range 10 - 100 watts
Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m) 87dB
Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms
Crossover Frequency 2800Hz, 24dB/octave
Low-Frequency Driver Dual 100mm (4") CMMD™, magnetically shielded
High-Frequency Driver 19mm (3/4") CMMD, magnetically shielded
Dimensions
(H x W x D) 156 x 372 x 197mm (6-1/8" x 14-5/8" x 7-3/4")
Weight 5.9kg (13 lb)

Subwoofer
Frequency Range 35Hz - 150Hz (±3dB)
Maximum Amplifier Output 100 watts RMS
Crossover Frequency(ies) 50Hz - 150Hz, 24dB/octave, continuously variable
Driver 200mm (8") CMMD™
Dimensions
(H x W x D) 400 x 305 x 429mm (15-3/4" x 12" x 16-7/8")
Weight 15.3kg (33.7 lb)

I don't think that the sub is so huge. It looks huge compared to the satellites that's for sure.

It's crucial that the speakers are compact. In your opinion (looking at the specs), could this be a decent basic set for movies and music? There's a link to a review below

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/pdfs/WHC/038/090_WHC_038.pdf

codecougar
03-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Like I said, it would be "ok" for a basic system, but you would probably be better off buying the speakers separately. The specs on the individual Infinity Beta 20 speakers are better, but they probably cost more.

It looks decent. I think you will be happy with it. Infinity makes quality stuff.

EddieZen
03-01-2008, 09:42 AM
The Infinity website lists that setup at $1500 Australian which is about $1400 US, which by my guesstimate means street price is probably around $1200 or less? Not sure how much gear costs down under compared to in the US, but here you can do much better going with an Internet-direct company. Example:

http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

Being Infinity, it should be at least decent quality, though it's the sub where I'd expect to suffer the biggest sound compromise.

ornassis
03-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Thanks guys! I haven't decided anything yet but I think I'll stick with the Infinity's.

RoadRunner6
03-03-2008, 12:29 AM
The Infinity system with the 8" sub is probably fairly decent.

However, EddieZen's recommendation of the SVS-01 is a dynamite system that is direct from the manufacturer to the end-user. Not sure about the shipping but this is an excellent system with a superb sub for the money. The Infinity sub is not even in the same class as the SVS sub (36 lbs versus 60 lbs... that should tell you something).

RR6

RoadRunner6
03-03-2008, 12:37 AM
Correction: 33.7 lbs versus 60 lbs. Satelite and center speakers in the SVS system are slightly larger but considerably heavier. Weight is not everything but is usually a good indicator of quality.

codecougar
03-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Here is my problem...

If the HCS speaker system does retail for around $1,200 US as EddieZen estimated, then you would be better off getting a piece by piece Infinity system.

Infinity Beta 20 speakers: 4 X $125= $500

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?search=beta+20&i=108BT20B

Infinity Beta C250 center channel: $130

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?search=infinity+beta&i=108BTC250B

Infinity PS210 subwoofer: $350

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=12300&i=108PS210BG&tp=187

So you spend less than $1,000 and get a much better system. Unless I am missing something here...

ornassis
03-04-2008, 01:36 AM
Here is my problem...

If the HCS speaker system does retail for around $1,200 US as EddieZen estimated, then you would be better off getting a piece by piece Infinity system.

Infinity Beta 20 speakers: 4 X $125= $500

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?search=beta+20&i=108BT20B

Infinity Beta C250 center channel: $130

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?search=infinity+beta&i=108BTC250B

Infinity PS210 subwoofer: $350

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=12300&i=108PS210BG&tp=187

So you spend less than $1,000 and get a much better system. Unless I am missing something here...

And here's mine....

I live in Finland. The cheapest way for me probably is to order from Germany. In Germany Beta 20's costs about 200 euro / pair ($306), Beta C250 159 euro ($243) and PS210 (?) + shipping costs. Total cost about $1,100 + shipping costs.

(And if remember correctly you have 110V mains so the sub wouldn't fit our 230V mains :))

The Beta HCS costs 430 euro ($657) in Germany shipping costs included.

Amazon.com has the following prices:

Infinity Beta 20 speakers: 4 X $119.88 (315 euro)
Infinity Beta C250 center channel $129.88 (85 euro)
Infinity PS210 subwoofer $329.98 (217 euro)

But unfortunately they don't ship to Finland :mad2: Or am I wrong? If you have better ideas please tell. I really envy the prices there. And I appreciate your effort in this :)

codecougar
03-04-2008, 06:03 PM
And here's mine....

I live in Finland. The cheapest way for me probably is to order from Germany. In Germany Beta 20's costs about 200 euro / pair ($306), Beta C250 159 euro ($243) and PS210 (?) + shipping costs. Total cost about $1,100 + shipping costs.

(And if remember correctly you have 110V mains so the sub wouldn't fit our 230V mains :))

The Beta HCS costs 430 euro ($657) in Germany shipping costs included.

Amazon.com has the following prices:

Infinity Beta 20 speakers: 4 X $119.88 (315 euro)
Infinity Beta C250 center channel $129.88 (85 euro)
Infinity PS210 subwoofer $329.98 (217 euro)

But unfortunately they don't ship to Finland :mad2: Or am I wrong? If you have better ideas please tell. I really envy the prices there. And I appreciate your effort in this :)

I really don't know what to tell you. I am not sure what is available in Finland. The Beta HCS looks decent and should make you happy. Sorry I could not be of more help.

IBSTORMIN
03-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Hey!

Does anyone have any experience on Infinity Beta HCS speaker system? I'm looking for a set (5.1) in the same price range and this one caught my attention.

The idea is to watch movies and listen to music as well. Do you have another set in mind?

I have the Pioneer VSX-916 amplifier. Thank you for your replies!

I am a huge Infinity fan but mostly of the 90's stuff. The reason being the CMMD tweeter was designed for their MTS series audiophile speakers and there is one tweeter with a midrange, four woofers and a subwoofer. What I have heard on the smaller speakers is the tweeter is just too powerful to be put with just one other driver. It makes their small 2-way speakers too harsh. Their newer MMD technology tweeter is not as harsh. If you haven't already, You should definitely listen to the speakers to see if you like them, and I'm talking sit down and listen to them for awhile and see if they wear on you. They sound clean and crisp for home theater but for music listening I find them tiring. I find this is reduced some on the Infinity sets where all satellites are built with two mids, like having five center channel speakers. It really depends on what you want.
The only comment I can make on the 10" SVS 60 lb subwoofer is OF COURSE it is heavier, the driver looks tiny because the speaker is ALL BOX ! ! ! Why is that??? My PSB 15" sub box isn't that big!
If the Infinity sub is like most of their other products you will find the 10" sub is probably run with a 100 watt High-current amp and will amaze you with the power and accuracy, especially with the CMMD driver. I have an older 12" Infinity BU2 in my living room which is rated 100 AMPS but sounds like twice that.
Good luck in your search. I hope I was helpful.

blackraven
03-04-2008, 09:06 PM
I would build your own infinity system with the Beta 20's for the front channels and the Beta 10's for the rear and save some money. The Beta line has a very nice sound with a more prominent Bass-Midrange sound than their Primus line which has a brighter sound.

ornassis
03-05-2008, 03:11 AM
The problem is that I don't have the chance to listen these speaker sets. That's why I have to collect reviews and opinions. I'm not an audiophile and any set of speakers will improve my current 2 speaker arrangement (at least 20-year old Technics speakers from all-in-one set) but I also respect quality.

Of course we have HIFI stores with listening rooms but the price on the speakers which can be tested starts around $2000. And on the other hand we have these large home appliance chain stores which sells empty beer cans as speakers.

Well.... :)

The looks and the size are also important and that's why I stopped at this set. The room is fairly small (12 feet x 10,8 feet) if that effects on your opinions?

My friend has Harman Kardon HKTS7 ( http://www.harmankardon.com/specifications.aspx?Region=USA&Country=US&Language=ENG&cat=HCS&ser=&prod=HKTS%207/230&sType=C ) and it sounded good.

If we're even close to the sound quality of HKTS7 with Beta HCS, that works for me just fine :)

Thanks again guys!

Hyfi
03-05-2008, 04:14 AM
I have the Beta c250 in my HT setup. I started out with a quick and cheap setup and got the center for $100 at Vanns.com.

My problem now is that my fronts are Dynaudio Audience 82s and the rears are now 42s so the Infinity center does not match well at all.

What I can say about it is it does play loud but can't handle the a lot of power. The drivers are not controlled very well compared to Dyns but they are not in the same price range. At loud volumes they start to distort and appear they may blow out while the Dynaudios are just getting warmed up and begging for more. Overall, for the money, they are not bad but by no stretch of the imagination will they be a killer setup with any front end.

If this is to be an entry level HT setup for a small room, they are probably better than a lot of other mass market speakers. They do look nice in cherry. Silver metal grills are ugly but when you take them off you are left with a molded plastic 3-driver insert that is just as ugly.

Good luck what ever you pick.

blackraven
03-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Ornassis, go with the infinity system. If you can't build your own infinity system then go with the Beta HCS. It should have good sound if its any thing like the regular Beta speakers.

codecougar
03-06-2008, 04:59 PM
The Infinity system should sound much better than the Harman Kardon HKTS7 system.

IBSTORMIN
03-06-2008, 07:37 PM
For the price, I would go for the Beta HCS system. I think it will sound better than your friends H/K system and be an upgrade from your Technics speakers. From looking at the series, the HCS is their Home Cinema Series and the difference is a 4" mid/woofer instead of the Beta's 6.5". I have heard a 4"-5" driver produces voices the best, voices should sound more natural. Even though Infinity has done some amazing things with small woofers in the past and you could be surprised, You are probably going to want a larger sub than the 8" in the future.

ornassis
03-07-2008, 03:59 AM
This was the blessing I was looking for :) Thanks codecougar, blackraven and IBSTORMIN! This helped me a lot!

codecougar
03-07-2008, 04:44 PM
This was the blessing I was looking for :) Thanks codecougar, blackraven and IBSTORMIN! This helped me a lot!

You're welcome. Let us know how you make out.

IBSTORMIN
03-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Any time. Please let us know how it sounds to you once you get it home and break it in.

RoadRunner6
03-07-2008, 06:08 PM
IBSTORMAN..........The reason for the big box is subwoofer physics. All things being equal the same size driver with a larger box gives superior perfomance. Many manufacturers try to limit the box size because many buyers don't want a big box. That is why the mini cube type subs are very popular. However, they trade off the small box size for a decrease in bass extention and higher distortion and require heavy magnets and huge amps to attain reasonable performance.

In the case of the SVS 10" sub, they have increased the performance of a sub with a 10" driver by using a larger box with a 1" front baffle (no cheap construction here). It keeps the price down and offers superior performance to anything in this price range. This is one serious sub, performance wise. It has a 300 watt Bash (digital switching) amp. The sub separately sells from SVS direct for $430. This matches in performance many subs costing in the $750 plus range.

I'll bet your PSB sub with the 15" driver costs a hell of a lot more than $430. Probably about $1200 plus in today's market if they still make a 15" sub. That is the total budget listed above.

RR6

RoadRunner6
03-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Correction: IBSTORMIN (sorry for the mispelling)

IBSTORMIN
03-07-2008, 08:46 PM
IBSTORMAN..........The reason for the big box is subwoofer physics. All things being equal the same size driver with a larger box gives superior perfomance. Many manufacturers try to limit the box size because many buyers don't want a big box. That is why the mini cube type subs are very popular. However, they trade off the small box size for a decrease in bass extention and higher distortion and require heavy magnets and huge amps to attain reasonable performance.

In the case of the SVS 10" sub, they have increased the performance of a sub with a 10" driver by using a larger box with a 1" front baffle (no cheap construction here). It keeps the price down and offers superior performance to anything in this price range. This is one serious sub, performance wise. It has a 300 watt Bash (digital switching) amp. The sub separately sells from SVS direct for $430. This matches in performance many subs costing in the $750 plus range.

I'll bet your PSB sub with the 15" driver costs a hell of a lot more than $430. Probably about $1200 plus in today's market if they still make a 15" sub. That is the total budget listed above.

RR6

It is a PSB Subsonic 7 and I paid $200 at a Pawn Shop about 2 years ago on a whim. Just got lucky. It goes lower than anything else I have heard to date. In fact it goes subsonic, you hear the beats instead of music and it rattles EVERYTHING if you're not careful. Have heard things on CD's & DVD's I didn't know was there with any of several diffferent brands of 12" subs. And it's musical too, not monotone like some subs. But it's only 17.5" x 17.5" X 18.25". You made a comment about the SVS's high weight being about quality and it seems more about the enclosure size, which was my only point. I'd have to hear one. A point I'd like to mention, Infinity's higher quality car subs, the Perfect series, uses a SMALLER box than their less quality Kappa or Reference series. Their 10" Perfect sub loves a .6 cu ft box. That's about 12" x 12" x 7" and it truly goes down to 18 HZ. The smaller enclosure keeps the sound from bouncing around distorting the driver. It's about sub physics, as you said.

IBSTORMIN
03-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Correction: IBSTORMIN (sorry for the mispelling)

Not a problem. I saw it but it's not a big deal. Stuff happens!

aksak
06-28-2008, 06:01 AM
Just FYI I have ordered last week an Onkyo TX-SR606 and an Infinity BETA HCS 7.1 (the normal set 5.1 + two additional satellite loudspeakers). I expect to get it during July and to install it in my new home by the end of August. I will let you know the result.

Here in Europe, ordering from Germany, that makes the total setup (receiver + speakers) at about 1130 Eur (about 1800 USD).

Does anyone here have an experience of combining an Onkyo receiver with Infinity speakers?
I remember having read a post somewhere of a guy who has a TX-SR705 or 805 with this Beta HCS system and was totally happy with it.

ornassis
06-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Hey! Sorry I didn't reply earlier...

I got the BETA HCS about a month ago and I had more than I bargained for. I paid 390€ plus delivery costs and with that price it's hard to find a better pack. The pack contained 4 satellites, a center speaker, sub, sub cable (a thin gold plated rca cable), rubber feet and speaker cables for all speakers (I used my own thicker ones). One important thing is that the speaker grilles are NOT the colour they seem to be in the ads. They actually are dark grey (graffite), not chrome. At least they are in black BETA speakers anyway...

I also ordered and installed the optional wall brackets (BETA UNI-WB). I (of course) broke one immediately because I skrewed the knob too tightly ¤%&#¤. Well what can you expect for plastic "thingies". A little bit of black insulate tape on the broken knob and "voila", no harm done! The rear speakers are nicely placed on the wall!

To sum this up, I am very happy with this set. The movies sound very impressive and I'm also happy with sound of music. I can recommend this to everyone who looks for a decent 5.1 system.

I thank you all for your help and if there are any questions I'm happy to help ;)

ornassis
06-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Just FYI I have ordered last week an Onkyo TX-SR606 and an Infinity BETA HCS 7.1 (the normal set 5.1 + two additional satellite loudspeakers). I expect to get it during July and to install it in my new home by the end of August. I will let you know the result.

Here in Europe, ordering from Germany, that makes the total setup (receiver + speakers) at about 1130 Eur (about 1800 USD).

Does anyone here have an experience of combining an Onkyo receiver with Infinity speakers?
I remember having read a post somewhere of a guy who has a TX-SR705 or 805 with this Beta HCS system and was totally happy with it.

I see no reason what so ever why Onkyo wouldn't do well with BET HCS. Just make the calibrations well (the manual says the speakers crossover frequency must be set to 120 Hz, but I have it on 100 Hz) and put the speakers on small mode. Well I believe that you know these things :)

aksak
05-28-2009, 07:03 AM
Update / small review after 9 months use of the package Onkyo TX-SR606 + Pack Infnity Beta HCS 7.1

Just one word : satisfied!

Following Ornassis's good advise, I entered the Onkyo manual setup menu to change the speakers crossover frequency at 100 Hz, after having initially made the Audissey automatic calibration (which is part of the Onkyo receive)r. That helped a lot the subwoofer to support the satellites as these ones cannot handle too much low frequencies due to their size.

That proved to be extremely effective, including for music.

The CMMD drivers on the satellites are not harsh, and as told by IBSTORMIN, are really good for voices. This is excellent when listening for instance to an opera, or a cantata, or a mass, if you like classical music. And the satellites' drivers prove to be really good also to handle medium to very high frequencies, with clarity all the frequency range long.

In order to summarize, I am very happy with the Beta HCS. They are real good bargains now in Europe as the last available ones are sold for just over 280 Eur/pack 5.1 (I paid approx. 40% more 9 months ago). And when you see the finishing and quality of the pack, that's a nice deal.