Will this amp and preamp be enough for Bose 901s [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Will this amp and preamp be enough for Bose 901s

sgkramer
02-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Hello All,

I'm considering taking my Bose 901 Series V out of mothballs to save money for my 30th high school reunion, connecting them to my iPod and saving the class money spent on a DJ (and using that money for an extended open bar). The reunion will have about 80 people, in a medium-sized banquet room. From what I remember of my 901s, they had plenty of power for something like that. I've forgotten almost all I knew back in the 70s & 80s about stereo equipment and got a short trip down memory lane from a buddy about amps, pre-amps, tuners, receivers, etc. I tossed my audio equipment out several moves ago, but hung on to the speakers because they cost a bundle, sounded great, and looked sharp.

I am considering buying the AudioSource Amp One/A 160-Watt (80 watts x 2) Stereo Power Amplifier with Internal Bridging (internal bridging???) and the AudioSource Pre One/A Stereo Preamplifer. Reading some of the online comments I found on the net, I'm a little concerned that this equipment will not provide enough power to do the 901s justice. Any thoughts?

Regards,
Sam

Mr Peabody
02-26-2008, 08:38 PM
I'm not familiar with Audio Source but if the amps are bridgeable buy 2 of them and bridge them, they'll at least double their power bridged. This way you can increase your power. The 901's weren't hard to drive but you guys might get a few drinks in you and want to crank it up like you were in high school again :) I wouldn't worry so much about quality, after all you are using an I-pod for your source.

BTW - you only need to post under one forum or the other, we'll find you. And, welcome.

blackraven
02-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Go with more power. In college in the 1970's my friend had the 901's hooked up to a 200wpc amp and preamp. We used to use them for parties in the large central hall of our Dorm. They needed the power to realy fill the room with clean sound. If you don't plan on playing them loud then you can get by with 80wpc.

Feanor
02-27-2008, 04:11 AM
Hello All,

I'm considering taking my Bose 901 Series V out of mothballs ...

I am considering buying the AudioSource Amp One/A 160-Watt (80 watts x 2) Stereo Power Amplifier with Internal Bridging (internal bridging???) and the AudioSource Pre One/A Stereo Preamplifer. Reading some of the online comments I found on the net, I'm a little concerned that this equipment will not provide enough power to do the 901s justice. Any thoughts?

Regards,
Sam

The 901's need a lot of power -- especially for the sort of large group event you are planning. For ample power for relatively cheap, I would pass up AudioSource power amp, (which I'm told sound like terrible, but hey, I haven't heard them myself). Instead I'd go for a Behringer EP2500 (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=248-747) which puts out 500wpc into 8 ohms. With that you would be buying a professional type amp for a professional type application.

markw
02-27-2008, 06:37 AM
Remember. turn 'em sp the eight drivers are facing the crowd.

gjpham
02-27-2008, 11:07 AM
AudioSource is a low end elect component. With its 80W x 2, the Bose will play but won't get to its full potential. This is a 30th reunion, not a rock & roll concert so if this was me, I would probably buy/do it. It is affordable and fit for this purpose, I'm just wondering what are you gonna do with it afterward. This amp is sold $163 instead $199 at PartsExpress.com at http://etronics.com/c-2458-amplifiers.aspx?InventoryFilter=1
Also, don't forget to check out the Gli Pro while yoare there. Its THD is high but it fits in for this event.
Since you'll have 80 fellas in the room, I would probably try to set them higher up so they can optimally spread the sound across the room more efficiently. THat's my thoughts.

sgkramer
02-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Dumb question, but does the Behringer EP2500 require a pre-amp? The Bose 901s comes with a smaller equalizer that the manual indicateds belongs between the amp and the pre-amp.

some guy
03-02-2008, 02:31 PM
well im certainly no expert, but here's my story...i've thrown plenty of parties using my own equipment, i started off with an old pioneer sx receiver from the 80's, model #sx750. that receiver had endless power for everything i used it for, from a pair of 15" dual voice coil cerwin vega subs, to four old fisher and four old pioneer towers, and even a couple pairs of older bose towers (701's i think). even the 2 cerwin vegas couldnt handle all the power from the old pioneer. most of the time they were in large barns or garages and usually between 50-100 people, just stupid high school parties, but loud music was a must from the crowd, and decent quality sound was a must from me, the pioneer always delivered.

as far as audiophile grade sound quality goes, i can only base my suggestion on the parties as mentioned, and i dont know that an old sx would do you any good for anything except the upcoming party.

now i have a pioneer sx1980 hooked up to 2 fisher towers with 10"'s, 2 huge yamahas with 12"s & a pair of old beat-up cerwin vega dj speakers with the 15" subs, horn mids and tweets, yes all at the same time. its setup in my uncles pole barn, we dont use it for parties anymore, but its like being at a real live rock concert and we have been lucky enough to keep it within $500 for everything.

in general i really think the old sx receivers are a great bang for the buck, and as long as you find one in great condition it should go great with any speaker. ebay is a good source, and i have always bought mine locally to avoid shipping. if good price, good condition and local pickup or careful shipping is possible, i think everyone should by an old pioneer sx (no i am not selling one of these on ebay if you were wondering...)

i dont know if this helps or not, either way thanks for reading!!!

i guess i will go on to say that my current home system is a nad t761 receiver, definitive tech bp8b's, def tech clr 1000b, and a pair of cambridge soundworks model 17's for surrounds with a 12" titanic sub & amp from parts express, also in case you were wondering.

Bytor
03-31-2008, 04:03 PM
I have one suggestion, Carver Magnetic field power amplifier. The TFM series would be sweet, TFM-35 is 250 watts per ch. You can get one on E-bay for around $300 or so. If you want the whole package in one box, get The Carver Receiver, excellent tuner, pre-amp and amp all in one. It has about 140 wpc. Bob Carver magnetic field amps will make those Bose sound like they should. I have the 901 6's and there is a big difference between a quality amp and a lesser amp with the 901's. Besides, when the party's over you will have a quality sound system!

I would suggest NOT turning them around. If you're inside, set them up as designed. Oh, and gee whiz, can the ipod and go with CD's or albums! :)

mfk3
04-06-2008, 02:29 AM
I don't think so...you are definetly going to need more power. The 8 series professional version of the 901 does 91 db 1 watt/1 meter, with dancing and ambient talking noise ( over 70 DB, you are going to need serious power, a 1 dd increae repersents a doubling of power and it had better be clean power.

A good DJ/PA system should be able to deliver around 110 db steady state, 80 watts per channerl won't do it.

E-Stat
04-06-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm a little concerned that this equipment will not provide enough power to do the 901s justice. Any thoughts?
Remember the 901s use 30 db of EQ at the bottom. 80 watts won't begin to cover a large space like that.

rw