New Pioneer VSX 1017 VS Pioneer SX 1250 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Pioneer VSX 1017 VS Pioneer SX 1250

shaunk
02-25-2008, 07:38 PM
I am considering buying a new Pioneer VSX 1017 rated at 150W vs the Vintage Pioneer SX 1250. I see the SX 1250 coming up on ebay selling for about $500 for one with no chips or scratches in it.
I would like your opionion on how they compair. I just bought a Harmon Kardon HK 3485 125W. It plays the music louder clearer than my Pioneer 750 from the mid 70's. but it feels more cheaply made when handling it. Also it doesn't get as many FM channels as my Pioneer did.
Are these old Pioneers sx 1250 and sx1280 worth the kind of money I see them going for? I would hate to buy one and have something go wrong. I assume they are expensive to get fixed? How good is the Pioneer VSX 94 in compairison?
I am using Pioneer HPM 100 speakers for the stereo in the living room and Pioneer DSS-9 for my bedroom. I don't know why there isn't more write ups on the DSS-9s. They seem to have a better overall sound than the HPM 100s. Thank you for you advice. Sincerely,Shaun

kelsci
02-26-2008, 07:16 AM
It is hard for me to say if the 1250 would be a good investment in the longrun since it is vintage. Purchasing things like these is something you take a chance on. If you get a good one and it last a long time after, fine. Is it a good match to the HPM-100s, you bet. I am familar with those honeys and they work great with Pioneer products of those times. Wether to say that the sound quality of a VSX -1017 is compatible to a 1250 say in stereo mode is hard to say. Actually, listening to Elite models #81,82 and 84 last year in stereo in some stores, IMHO, they would be great on the 100s.

Rich-n-Texas
02-26-2008, 07:53 AM
A friend of mine bought an SX-1250 & HPM 100's back in the day and it made me extremely jealous. I'd love to have that combination in a vintage stereo room. The question you have to ask yourself though is, do you enjoy and like to reminisce about the old days. Don't know how old you are but the usual rules apply here. If you enjoyed the by-gone days of stereo, go for it. If you don't like it, send it to me. Simple, huh? :smilewinkgrin:

jackz4000
02-26-2008, 10:24 AM
For stereo listening go for a 1250. I have a couple of them and I've had zero problems over the last 4 years.

blackraven
02-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Most of todays name brand lower end equipment feels cheaply made when compared to equipment from the 1970's. 2yrs ago I bought Pioneer and Yamaha HT receivers for my kids and I couldnt believe how cheap the build quality was. In the 1970's, my first receiver was a 15wpc Pioneer that was built like a tank. No plastic or flimsy volume controls.

If your not happy with the Radio on your HK, then buy a separate Tuner and run it through the HK.

shaunk
02-26-2008, 06:07 PM
Thank you for all of your advice. I grew up in the 70's. My first real stereo was and I still have is the pioneer sx 750. Just starting to get static on the controls. Sprayed some cleaner in and it took most of it away. The speakers were Yamaha NS-670.
How good is the Pioner Elite vsx 92 or 94.? They seem very pricey. I saw a 94 selling on a google search for $300! I called up Pioneer and they told me they never heard of the guy. He claimed to be a wholesaler. Pioneer said they didn't sell it that cheap to the dealers. At least that is the info the girl gave me I talked to .