Matching speaker size to room volume. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Matching speaker size to room volume.

Brett A
02-25-2008, 09:13 AM
This has been on my mind and I think it would be fun to hear your opinions (if you have any)

I purchased my B&W 683 floorstanders before I knew about matching speaker size to room size.

My room is irregularly shaped, roughly 15x17x7.5 with an imposing box/wall bringing it to 1,700 cubic feet. I’d say the room is slightly on the dead side due to shape and furnishings.

The listening triangle is: speakers about 10ft apart, me about 12 feet back. I feel like I’ve got everything dialed in just so. Good imaging, etc. I have bass traps and absorption panels in the back corners so room pressurization rarely gets out of hand. I mostly listen to 50/60’s bop, romantic period classical and neo folk (e.g. Bonnie prince Billy et al)

I find the system is very satisfying, but can’t help but wonder what opportunities I’ve missed not auditioning monitors before I bought these 3-way floorstanders.

Photo link below.

Any thoughts?

basite
02-25-2008, 09:21 AM
I find the system is very satisfying, but can’t help but wonder what opportunities I’ve missed not auditioning monitors before I bought these 3-way floorstanders.

Photo link below.

Any thoughts?

not especially monitors, but what other speakers did you audition?

the room is fairly ok. I don't think it's too small. The 683's are still quite 'commercial minded' speakers, which means they'll do fairly well in the usual living room...

especially when you have added bass traps and such...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Ajani
02-25-2008, 09:23 AM
I think you made a good choice based on your room size... in a smaller room, you would have been better off with the 684 or maybe some bookshelf speakers.... for me the ways to tell whether you have the right size speakers for the room are bass response (is the bass bloated or the opposite - too weak) and imaging... if you no matter where you reposition the speakers in your room, you can't nail the bass and imaging, then I think you've got the wrong speakers... but from your description and the pics, I think you made the right choice in speaker size...

Brett A
02-25-2008, 10:15 AM
what other speakers did you audition?

Bert.

I purchased the speakers before I knew about the process and practices of careful auditioning. If I were to re-do it --or I could say the next time I do it-- I'll be more educated about options and more aware of the hifi culture and I'll take more time.

Suffice to say I bought them in haste. One visit to one store.

The only other speakers I auditioned were a pair of used B&W DM 604 s3 (the predecessor to the 683's) The salesman steered me way from the Dalis in the shop at this price point.

I learned the lesson of taking care by the time I purchased the amp. That process took six weeks of in-home auditioning four different pieces.

---brett

topspeed
02-25-2008, 12:19 PM
As others have mentioned, for your room dimensions I would think floorstanders would be the way to go. A lot of it depends on one's priorties and music choices. For your tastes, you could have gone either way so I see the conundrum.

B&W's fairly excel on vocal biased and classical music and would seem a good match for bop/folk/classical. Shanling makes very romantic sounding gear and the A3000 likely brings a welcome sense of weight to the music. While I've never heard your combination, I'd imagine the synergy is very good indeed.

As long as you enjoy the music, that's all that matters.

Nice rig and welcome to AR.

Brett A
02-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Shanling makes very romantic sounding gear and the A3000 likely brings a welcome sense of weight to the music.

A description fitting of my experience! Some of the jazz recordings I listen to benefit from a little extra weight. One of my hopes for a new system was that it would deliver the entire bull fiddle from the Kind of Blue session into my living room. and it does that tastefully.:yesnod:

Nice rig and welcome to AR.

Thanks! It's good to be here. I've really been enjoying the system (an understatement) and it helps to get some validation--as much as can be offered based words and pictures.

E-Stat
02-25-2008, 07:39 PM
My room is irregularly shaped, roughly 15x17x7.5
That's a room challenge for smooth bass with those nearly even multiples.

It sounds like you did fine, especially with the room treatments. One potential advantage to running monitors / powered woofers is the ability to apply EQ to the bass section only. I cannot add bass traps in my family room and it has some nasty peaks and valleys A fewer roller coaster looking slider controls later - voila - reasonably flat bass.

Here, for example, is what I might consider to be a room matching *challenge*. :)

Holy Cow! (http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hug/messages/13/131598.html)

rw

Brett A
02-26-2008, 04:29 AM
That's a room challenge for smooth bass with those nearly even multiples.

It sounds like you did fine, especially with the room treatments.

I have to publicly thank my wife for giving me pretty much full reign over the living room when it comes to my pursuit of quality sound.

Here, for example, is what I might consider to be a room matching *challenge*. :)

Holy Cow! (http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hug/messages/13/131598.html)

rw

Holy cow! is right. I'd paint them red and blue and get some Dr. Seuss figurines. :)