Video vs audio. Which means more for HT? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Video vs audio. Which means more for HT?

GMichael
02-25-2008, 08:50 AM
I know that this is a predominately audio board, but let's see what we get anyhow.
If you had to choose between great audio for your HT system or a great video, what would you choose. Remember, we're talking about HT systems only.
And before anyone asks, "Where is it written that we can not have BOTH great sound AND great video?" It is written here. YOU CAN NOT PICK BOTH GREAT AUDIO AND GREAT VIDEO! That's just too easy, and it would end up being the clear winner.
So let's hear it. What means more to you and why. Would you rather have a killer 7.1 sound system and a 20" CRT, or a HTIB and a 100" 1080p knock your socks off display?

kexodusc
02-25-2008, 08:55 AM
I went with audio - I find the good, big sound can have a way of involving you in the experience far more than a big picture regardless of video quality. Guess I could cheat and say the HT sound system can also be a killer music system, hence multi-purpose...an advantage over video I guess.
That said, I'm pricing projectors now for the house I'm building this summer so what does that say?

GMichael
02-25-2008, 09:04 AM
I'm having a tough time choosing. One minute I want to say audio. There is no substitute for good sound IMO. But then the next minute I'm thinking that for HT all you need are a few speakers and a great picture. Where was HD when Bay Watch was on? (although I was thinking that I could have done without HD during parts of last night's Oscar awards)

BRANDONH
02-25-2008, 09:12 AM
I voted for audio but...
It was a tough call for me as well because I have always believed that the audio plays a very important roll for the home theater experience but
now with HD makes it all the better combined with great audio

GMichael
02-25-2008, 09:18 AM
OK, I'm still on the fence, but I voted video because I was feeling sorry for it. It's looking like a runaway for audio so far.

ldgibson76
02-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Audio! Yes, Hi-Def adds to the experience, no doubt, but if the sound isn't adquate or at least up to the standard of the video presentation, the whole experience goes south!
Here's a way to determine what's more important. How much time do you put in to tweaking you picture quality? How much time do you put into tweaking the audio quality. I know I'm always trying experimenting and tweaking the audio ultimately trying to get the best out of my system. You can do alot with the video qualty, but after a while, it is what it is. 720p is 720p. 1080p is 1080p Once the setting for video is in place, It's pretty much a wrap. Not so with audio. The possibilities are endless.

ldgibson76
02-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Who the hell picked Video?!!!!!

ldgibson76
02-25-2008, 09:28 AM
OK, I'm still on the fence, but I voted video because I was feeling sorry for it. It's looking like a runaway for audio so far.

You're such a wuss! (only kidding)!:cornut:

audio amateur
02-25-2008, 09:30 AM
I don't think anyone would care for a movie with a million dollar audio system if the screen was 10 inches wide.

GMichael
02-25-2008, 10:12 AM
You're such a wuss! (only kidding)!:cornut:

Somebody had to spread the love.

Rich-n-Texas
02-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Just by virtue of the moniker "Home Theater", isn't the obvious answer Video? You're trying to simulate a movie theater experience, and even though a sound system exists at the theater, the focus is on the picture. That's my opinion.

Feanor
02-25-2008, 10:36 AM
I know that this is a predominately audio board, but let's see what we get anyhow.
If you had to choose between great audio for your HT system or a great video, what would you choose. Remember, we're talking about HT systems only.

For me video pulls ahead. As between HT and music overall, music wins. But my HT system is 98% for TV and movies, so video wins out.

This said, I'm still getting by with a 27" CRT :sad: :cryin:

ldgibson76
02-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Just by virtue of the moniker "Home Theater", isn't the obvious answer Video? You're trying to simulate a movie theater experience, and even though a sound system exists at the theater, the focus is on the picture. That's my opinion.

Rich!

You're killin me here! Tell you what, Once your system is up and fully functional, put in the most dynamic action movie you own, then set the 3800 to mono! Better yet, defeat the subwoofer! Believe me, your thrill for great video will diminish quickly. Very similar to the initial delivery of your 3800 and watching Magilla drop it! :yikes: (I know, that hurt:sad: but, I had to hit home to get my point across(smile). It's all about the audio. That gives you the emotion! Watch a movie without the sound! Ya can't do it! Even with subtitles, you need the audio to keep you interested!
Audio, audio, audio! It's why IMAX is IMAX! Yes the picture is astonishing, but the Sound! That's on a whole nutha level!

ldgibson76
02-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Somebody had to spread the love.

I feel ya, man!
By the way, after I check out your photo gallery, I digress, You are no wuss at all! You are the man! As a matter of fact, a straight "Pimp"! The pad gives you away. Mauve walls, blue carpet....That's pimpin!:cornut: Not to mention the photos of all the babes! Your pimpage is of clandestine nature. And the remote control photo, more evidence of your pimpage!:cornut:

Rich-n-Texas
02-25-2008, 10:58 AM
Watch a movie...
You just proved my case with these three words. You can't watch a movie if there's no video. The visual experience is what your brain processes first and foremost. Seeing what's happeneing is what makes you think to yourself... I knew he/she was going to do that, or wow! I wasn't expecting her to say that. Put it another way... the sound doesn't allow you to judge the difference between right and wrong in say, a movie like Batman, where the good guys and bad guys are visual stimulation to your brain.

I could see though where people's passion for music could cross over into the TV/movie watching realm.

Rich-n-Texas
02-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Okay, I just re-read the original post. "Great video or Great audio". I didn't realize the topic was about the quality of the audio or the quality of the video, but if the pic was black & white, and the audio was mono, video would still get my vote.

Rich-n-Texas
02-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Rich!

...Once your system is up and fully functional, put in the most dynamic action movie you own

"I'm Batman"

GMichael
02-25-2008, 11:09 AM
"I'm Batman"

Have a Snickers. You won't be going anywhere for awhile.

ldgibson76
02-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Okay, I just re-read the original post. "Great video or Great audio". I didn't realize the topic was about the quality of the audio or the quality of the video, but if the pic was black & white, and the audio was mono, video would still get my vote.

Yes, video is where it starts, but the audio keeps you there to the finish!

Rich-n-Texas
02-25-2008, 11:18 AM
For me video pulls ahead. As between HT and music overall, music wins. But my HT system is 98% for TV and movies, so video wins out.

This said, I'm still getting by with a 27" CRT :sad: :cryin:

Weren't the pics of my receiver in the cabinet next to my 27" TV any comfort to you at all Feanor? :nonod:

GMichael
02-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Yes, video is where it starts, but the audio keeps you there to the finish!

This may be the key. HT starts with the video. I did spend more on my video than I have on the audio. I have spent many a Sunday watching a football game while the audio was switched to music. I don't remember every listening to a show while watching a concert.:idea:

L.J.
02-25-2008, 11:25 AM
20" CRT.....Dang GM can a brotha get at least 36"?

GMichael
02-25-2008, 11:28 AM

Nope, and while you're at it, make in B&W.

alt4
02-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Man...I actually sat there 5 mins deciding!

GMichael
02-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Man...I actually sat there 5 mins deciding!

Hey there new guy. Welcome to AR!

L.J.
02-25-2008, 11:44 AM
I can't believe I actually thought about this for more than 3 seconds :eek:

I'm gonna go with audio but it was hard to pick right away. I don't know, BR on my 60" SXRD be lookin' sweet.

I gotta have a nice system though. I did all kinda audio upgrades before finally getting a big screen.

Could you imagine a huge HD screen, but your not looking at it because during every explosive scene your little 8" Sony sub is just rattling away in the corner taking your attention away from the movie :lol:

BRANDONH
02-25-2008, 12:02 PM
I can't believe I actually thought about this for more than 3 seconds :eek:

I'm gonna go with audio but it was hard to pick right away. I don't know, BR on my 60" SXRD be lookin' sweet.

I gotta have a nice system though. I did all kinda audio upgrades before finally getting a big screen.

Could you imagine a huge HD screen, but your not looking at it because during every explosive scene your little 8" Sony sub is just rattling away in the corner taking your attention away from the movie :lol:

I need my explosions I want to feel them.

blackraven
02-25-2008, 12:12 PM
When I'm watching TV its video and when I'm listening to music its audio.

I dont get all the fuss about trying to get audiphile sound from a HT system. Yes I want good sound from HT but it doesnt have to be great. When I'm watching a movie, I am engrossed in the story and I'm not paying too much attention to the sound as long as the dialog is clear. If I'm watching a movie and have to think that the sound is great or lousy, then the movie I'm watching sucks. I think that spending thousands of dollars on HT sound is absurd, but every one has their likes and dislikes.

topspeed
02-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Audio, without hesitation. Try watching U2: Vertigo 2005 with a crappy audio system. It ain't the same.

GMichael
02-25-2008, 12:26 PM
When I'm watching TV its video and when I'm listening to music its audio.

I dont get all the fuss about trying to get audiphile sound from a HT system. Yes I want good sound from HT but it doesnt have to be great. When I'm watching a movie, I am engrossed in the story and I'm not paying too much attention to the sound as long as the dialog is clear. If I'm watching a movie and have to think that the sound is great or lousy, then the movie I'm watching sucks. I think that spending thousands of dollars on HT sound is absurd, but every one has their likes and dislikes.

I'm betting that you don't own any music on DVD's.:idea: Just one might sway you over to the dark side.:5:
MAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...:0:

Rich-n-Texas
02-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Audio, without hesitation. Try watching U2: Vertigo 2005 with a crappy audio system. It ain't the same.
I stopped watching it when Bono made the concert a platform for is political agenda. So in this case... the audio killed the video.

My $.02 to this one. :yesnod:

Feanor
02-25-2008, 12:59 PM

For clarification, to me "great video" is anything better than my CRT. :15:

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-25-2008, 06:13 PM

Naw dawg, you only get a 19"! LOL

G, I do not think this poll is very fair. Even Georgie porgie Lucas said that sound was half the experience. The two have a symbiant relationship, one cannot do without the other. The two are halfs that must be join together to get a whole. Can a man be married without a woman? I mean good gracious man.....(heads to the water cooler in disgust)

02-25-2008, 06:28 PM
For clarification, to me "great video" is anything better than my CRT. :15:

LOLOLOL, I did not know you were so easy to please.

ldgibson76
02-25-2008, 07:51 PM

G, I do not think this poll is very fair. Even Georgie porgie Lucas said that sound was half the experience. The two have a symbiant relationship, one cannot do without the other. The two are halfs that must be join together to get a whole. Can a man be married without a woman? I mean good gracious man.....(heads to the water cooler in disgust)

What's up Sir T!

It's been a while since we exchanged posts. Before I comment on the George Lucas thing, I must acknowledge that you were correct in your prediction regarding the demise of HD DVD. I still believe that initially, the HD DVD technology was a more complete concept, therefore the picture quality of the early HD DVD's were a little better than Bluray. But, blu ray overcame the shortcomings and excelled. You were right, I was wrong.
Now, about the 50/50 thing. Yes George did say that you can't have one without the other. But, correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't the creation of the THX standard just as important as the movie itself? I mean, when THX was developed, they marketed the hell out it!
And in today's home theater market, if THX isn't stamped somewhere on the facsia of the AV Receiver, then perception dictates that the said receiver is for some reason or another not as good as one with the moniker. Dare to respond?!!!!(smile)

blackraven
02-25-2008, 08:18 PM
I own several music DVD's GM. Its just that all I require is just good sound when watching a movie and great sound when listening to CD's. Thats why I dont have 5.1 surround sound and only use front speakers with center and sub. And my center doesnt match my fronts. I have good HT sound and great 2ch audio. It works for my needs.

And now I have great video with the recent purchase of my Sony XBR4.

GMichael
02-26-2008, 06:25 AM

Dear T,

Whats'a'matter? Can't make up your mind? You have to choose. Which child would you off to save the other? Only one can live.

As far as, "Can a man be married without a woman?" That depends on what state you live in.

Yours truly,

The water cooler police.

GMichael
02-26-2008, 06:26 AM
I own several music DVD's GM. Its just that all I require is just good sound when watching a movie and great sound when listening to CD's. Thats why I dont have 5.1 surround sound and only use front speakers with center and sub. And my center doesnt match my fronts. I have good HT sound and great 2ch audio. It works for my needs.

And now I have great video with the recent purchase of my Sony XBR4.

I bet your system sounds great either way.

GMichael
02-26-2008, 06:28 AM
Seems like a runaway for audio here on this audio sight. Duh.. I wonder how this poll would fair on big screen forums?

ldgibson76
02-26-2008, 08:50 AM
What's up Sir T!

It's been a while since we exchanged posts. Before I comment on the George Lucas thing, I must acknowledge that you were correct in your prediction regarding the demise of HD DVD. I still believe that initially, the HD DVD technology was a more complete concept, therefore the picture quality of the early HD DVD's were a little better than Bluray. But, blu ray overcame the shortcomings and excelled. You were right, I was wrong.
Now, about the 50/50 thing. Yes George did say that you can't have one without the other. But, correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't the creation of the THX standard just as important as the movie itself? I mean, when THX was developed, they marketed the hell out it!
And in today's home theater market, if THX isn't stamped somewhere on the facsia of the AV Receiver, then perception dictates that the said receiver is for some reason or another not as good as one with the moniker. Dare to respond?!!!!(smile)

Wow, no response from "Sir T"! Am I not worthy?! Normally, I would have been lambasted with all types of insults and expressions of contempt!:smilewinkgrin:
I wasn't contesting your post. I wanted to get a better understanding of it. Why 50/50 and do you truly subscribe to the Mr. Lucas' opinion. You do tend to submit unique perspectives on subject matter. (That was a compliment!)

GMichael
02-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Wow, no response from "Sir T"! Am I not worthy?! Normally, I would have been lambasted with all types of insults and expressions of contempt!:smilewinkgrin:
I wasn't contesting your post. I wanted to get a better understanding of it. Why 50/50 and do you truly subscribe to the Mr. Lucas' opinion. You do tend to submit unique perspectives on subject matter. (That was a compliment!)

Give'm time. He may just be hanging out at the water cooler AGAIN.

basite
02-26-2008, 09:52 AM
I went for audio...

my own experiences, and psychological tests prove that audio can pass through more emotions than video (at least for movies and such...)

that, and the fact that I currently have more interest in audio than in video...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Rich-n-Texas
02-26-2008, 10:22 AM
This poll is stupid!

GMichael
02-26-2008, 10:26 AM
Poll this, stupid.
Is

ldgibson76
02-26-2008, 10:35 AM
This may be the key. HT starts with the video. I did spend more on my video than I have on the audio. I have spent many a Sunday watching a football game while the audio was switched to music. I don't remember every listening to a show while watching a concert.:idea:
Yo "GM"!

Have you really seen the average concert video dvd?!!!! Dude, it's all about the AUDIO! There are some exceptions, but for the most part, the video is usually an after thought. An example: The Eagles "When Hell Freezes Over". DTS no doubt, but that storage wasn't used for video resolution, that was all audio. The same goes for their reunion concert. The video was a little better, but again, audio is what your there for! Now obviously, if you have Hi-Def Cable/Sat, then yes, the video quality is much better, almost on par with the audio, but the audio is still the virtue. And let's not go into concert dvd's on Bluray or HD DVD! Again, Audio! Even though it's in 1080P, the audio is paramount.

Another example of why Audio is more important in Home Theater is because if you read this and other forums......Hi-Res audio is desired now. Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA is one of the main reasons HT enthusiast are trying to or have upgraded their AVR's. Having the 1080P is not enough! If the HiRes audio is available, then why not have it?! Get the full experience of High Def. I remember a while back, (early 2007) I was trying to drive home this same point. There were those on this forum who said that standard dolby digital and standard DTS was more than adequate and there would never be that much of a demand for DTHD or DTSHD/MA. This was articulated during a heated blu ray vs hd dvd discussion. I bet if you took a consensus now, that would not play at all!
Just an opinion.

blackraven
02-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Ok, no Yoda talk here!

ldgibson76
02-26-2008, 10:39 AM
This poll is stupid!

Rich,

You are the perfect example for this thread! You mean to tell me that you purchased the RX-V3800 for HDMI switching only?! Hooking up those speakers and calibrating for sound quality was way down on your priority list!:17:
You couldn't wait to hear the sound improvement the RX-V produced over your HTR!
Happy Tweaking!

GMichael
02-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Yo "GM"!

Have you really seen the average concert video dvd?!!!! Dude, it's all about the AUDIO! There are some exceptions, but for the most part, the video is usually an after thought. An example: The Eagles "When Hell Freezes Over". DTS no doubt, but that storage wasn't used for video resolution, that was all audio. The same goes for their reunion concert. The video was a little better, but again, audio is what your there for! Now obviously, if you have Hi-Def Cable/Sat, then yes, the video quality is much better, almost on par with the audio, but the audio is still the virtue. And let's not go into concert dvd's on Bluray or HD DVD! Again, Audio! Even though it's in 1080P, the audio is paramount.

Another example of why Audio is more important in Home Theater is because if you read this and other forums......Hi-Res audio is desired now. Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA is one of the main reasons HT enthusiast are trying to or have upgraded their AVR's. Having the 1080P is not enough! If the HiRes audio is available, then why not have it?! Get the full experience of High Def. I remember a while back, (early 2007) I was trying to drive home this same point. There were those on this forum who said that standard dolby digital and standard DTS was more than adequate and there would never be that much of a demand for DTHD or DTSHD/MA. This was articulated during a heated blu ray vs hd dvd discussion. I bet if you took a consensus now, that would not play at all!
Just an opinion.

All good points.

Rich-n-Texas
02-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Let's put it this way Id, I can't hear out of my left ear but I can see out my left eye, so my choice might be slightly slanted right now. :biggrin5:

GMichael
02-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Rich,

You are the perfect example for this thread! You mean to tell me that you purchased the RX-V3800 for HDMI switching only?! Hooking up those speakers and calibrating for sound quality was way down on your priority list!:17:

Now now. I never said this. Obviously sound is high on anyone's list who takes the time to join an audio forum. But what's TV without the video?

Rich-n-Texas
02-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Poll this, stupid.
Is
See? I told ya he's dyslectic.

Rich-n-Texas
02-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Truthfully, I fail to see the point of four HDMI inputs, but I do like the switching capability of this receiver. As hard as I try, I'm never able to make the back of the cabinet look clean due to all of the speaker wiring and such, so the fewer the cables the happier I am.

Guys, would you rather be blind, or deaf? See what I'm saying?

ldgibson76
02-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Let's put it this way Id, I can't hear out of my left ear but I can see out my left eye, so my choice might be slightly slanted right now. :biggrin5:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that....It's an equilibrium thing! My Bad!:out:

GMichael
02-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Truthfully, I fail to see the point of four HDMI inputs, but I do like the switching capability of this receiver. As hard as I try, I'm never able to make the back of the cabinet look clean due to all of the speaker wiring and such, so the fewer the cables the happier I am.

Guys, would you rather be blind, or deaf? See what I'm saying?

1 HDMI for the cable/DVR.
a 2nd for PS3
a 3rd for HD-DVD/DVD player
a 4th for an extra DVR, or SACD, or CDR or the next great source.

You don't need to be blind or deaf. But how would you like to WATCH your TV? With a blindfold on or with earplugs?

ldgibson76
02-26-2008, 11:18 AM
All good points.

Thanks!

GM, or anyone else who cares to comment, do you find yourself, after visiting the forum, at times, compelled to interact with you system? Whether it's tweaking, modifying or just listening or viewing, just to see if you can make any improvements, due to just an exchange of ideas, observations, opinions or suggestions?! I know I do. Last night, I attempted bi- amping. Just wanted to see if it would improve the Klipsch's sound quality. Nice time to do test that theory after spending 5K on the incoming Paradigms!:idea:

Holla!

Rich-n-Texas
02-26-2008, 11:23 AM
a 2nd for PS3
How 'bout this: No PS3 in my future, only a standalone Blu-ray player, which cancels out #3 also. The DVD changer is component out, so no HDMI input needed there, but I'd use the upscaler. I thought about an Oppo, but there's little if anything I like on SACD, which apparently is dying along with DVD-A, and DVR directly to the TV, which has two inputs anyway.

You don't need to be blind or deaf. But how would you like to WATCH your TV? With a blindfold on or with earplugs?
That don't confront me!

ldgibson76
02-26-2008, 11:24 AM
a 2nd for PS3

That depends on what's on the tv! If it's a talk show then I don't need to see who's speaking. What they are saying is more important then how they look, in most cases! If it's Planet Earth that's on the tube, then of course, the ear plugs! Now, this is one of the rare exceptions that video quality is must! Good one GM!:thumbsup:

GMichael
02-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks!

GM, or anyone else who cares to comment, do you find yourself, after visiting the forum, at times, compelled to interact with you system? Whether it's tweaking, modifying or just listening or viewing, just to see if you can make any improvements, due to just an exchange of ideas, observations, opinions or suggestions?! I know I do. Last night, I attempted bi- amping. Just wanted to see if it would improve the Klipsch's sound quality. Nice time to do test that theory after spending 5K on the incoming Paradigms!:idea:

Holla!

Countless times. Sounds like a good thread to start.

GMichael
02-26-2008, 11:31 AM
How 'bout this: No PS3 in my future, only a standalone Blu-ray player, which cancels out #3 also. The DVD changer is component out, so no HDMI input needed there, but I'd use the upscaler. I thought about an Oppo, but there's little if anything I like on SACD, which apparently is dying along with DVD-A, and DVR directly to the TV, which has two inputs anyway.

That don't confront me! As long as I get my money next Friday.

What about future proofing?

GMichael
02-26-2008, 11:33 AM
That depends on what's on the tv! If it's a talk show then I don't need to see who's speaking. What they are saying is more important then how they look, in most cases! If it's Planet Earth that's on the tube, then of course, the ear plugs! Now, this is one of the rare exceptions that video quality is must! Good one GM!:thumbsup:

How about Baywatch, or Miss America, or golf or football, baseball, hocky etc?

Rich-n-Texas
02-26-2008, 11:38 AM
That don't confront me! As long as I get my money next Friday
Hey, somebody remembered! I had a long standing disagreement years ago with a buddy who said that it wasn't "That don't confront me". I knew I was right from the get-go.

Future proofing has been taken care of with the new audio format decoding capabilities. I don't see anything other than BD for the next... say, 5 - 6 years?

markw
02-26-2008, 11:42 AM

Would you rather have a killer 7.1 sound system and a 20" CRT, or a HTIB and a 100" 1080p knock your socks off display?I'm more of a music guy than a movie guy so you would think I'd go for tha audio system, right?

Wrong!. I'd have to go for the killer video with a somewhat lacking sound component. Why? A movie is more a visual experience than an audiable one. Great sound is nice, but while watching a movie I can enjoy a big, beautiful picture with "adequate" sound more than I could a tiny picture with rattle-yer-gizzards sound.

Besides, I can always plug in a nice set of earphones into the HTIB when I want great sound but I'm stuck forever with a tiny screen. ;)

markw
02-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Can a man be married without a woman?...in some states, yes, but that's another discussion entirely. :)

ldgibson76
02-26-2008, 11:55 AM
How about Baywatch, or Miss America, or golf or football, baseball, hocky etc?

Ok! Here we go.........

Baywatch: Moronic dialog, "Mattel" made bodies (females)....Ear plugs!

Miss America: No brainer.....Ear Plugs! If I hear "World Peace" as one of the 3 wishes again, I'll hang myself! Not that I have anything against world peace, but you would think that after that many requests for peace from the some of the most beautiful women on earth, every year, it would have happened by now!

Golf, Football, Baseball, Hockey, etc,......: GM, there was a time in America when the radio was the only form of over the air entertainment. Even when TV became somewhat mainstream, the radio was still a major source of sports entertainment. Hey, you still have sports broadcast over the radio! So going, by that school of thought, and remembering being out on the boat with my Father when I was a kid, fishing and listening to the Orioles play the Red Sox or listening to the Monday night football game on my transistor radio in bed because I couldn't stay up that late because I had school the next morning, hey, I can definitely listen to sports with the blindfold! That goes for golf too!

Final Score: Ear plugs 2, Blindfold 4.......Blindfold wins!:20:

GMichael
02-26-2008, 12:01 PM
...in some states, yes, but that's another discussion entirely. ;)

Mark,
Are you really blowing a kiss to Sir T?:thumbsup:

Rich-n-Texas
02-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Radio commentators do a better job of describing the action of sports because they know there's no video. TV commentators assume the obvious.

Rich-n-Texas
02-26-2008, 12:03 PM
I don't think Mark ever caught on to that GM

GMichael
02-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Ok! Here we go.........

Baywatch: Moronic dialog, "Mattel" made bodies (females)....Ear plugs!

Miss America: No brainer.....Ear Plugs! If I hear "World Peace" as one of the 3 wishes again, I'll hang myself! Not that I have anything against world peace, but you would think that after that many requests for peace from the some of the most beautiful women on earth, every year, it would have happened by now!

Golf, Football, Baseball, Hockey, etc,......: GM, there was a time in America when the radio was the only form of over the air entertainment. Even when TV became somewhat mainstream, the radio was still a major source of sports entertainment. Hey, you still have sports broadcast over the radio! So going, by that school of thought, and remembering being out on the boat with my Father when I was a kid, fishing and listening to the Orioles play the Red Sox or listening to the Monday night football game on my transistor radio in bed because I couldn't stay up that late because I had school the next morning, hey, I can definitely listen to sports with the blindfold! That goes for golf too!

Final Score: Ear plugs 2, Blindfold 4.......Blindfold wins!:20:

Radio anouncers are far better than TV anouncers IMO. They know that you can't see what's going on and tell you blow by blow. TV anouncers go off on tangents and you have to watch to know what's going on.
Golf? You listen to golf? And I thought watching it was boring. Is that like listening to the fishing channel?

ldgibson76
02-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Radio anouncers are far better than TV anouncers IMO. They know that you can't see what's going on and tell you blow by blow. TV anouncers go off on tangents and you have to watch to know what's going on.
Golf? You listen to golf? And I thought watching it was boring. Is that like listening to the fishing channel?

No, I don't listen to golf now, but I did when my Father and Uncle would make me sit there and torture me! Jack Nicholas vs. Tom Watson! They where killing me:mad2: !
Now that Tiger is destroying the competiton, you've got to watch that!

Revision: Blindfold 3 Ear plugs 3! It's a tie!
But remember, this was all based on quality! Audio quality is what keeps you in the moment. like I said before, video gets you there, audio keeps you there!

ldgibson76
02-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Mark,

That was like, real GAY!:ciappa: :shocked: :yikes:

markw
02-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Mark,
Are you really blowing a kiss to Sir T?:thumbsup:no, but the fact that that's what you read into my simple comment makes me kinda wonder which side of the fence you're on.

Oh, I see... wrong smilly. Ooops, meant this one :) Corrected.

Rich-n-Texas
02-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Mark, try this one: :smilewinkgrin: (No kissie face)

ldgibson76
02-26-2008, 12:57 PM
I wonder why we haven't heard from "Sir T"?! By now, he would have been all over this thread calling us Morons and Idiots! He's probably on another thread breakin someone else's balls!

GMichael
02-26-2008, 12:58 PM
no, but the fact that that's what you read into my simple comment makes me kinda wonder which side of the fence you're on.

Oh, I see... wrong smilly. Ooops, meant this one :) Corrected.

Side? I'm not on a side. I'm sitting right dab on the fence. You could say that the fence and I are like one.

GMichael
02-26-2008, 12:59 PM
I didn't say you were gay, the statement could easily be interpreted as such! And it was all in jest! No need to question how I flow, my wife can attest to my orientation! I didn't mean to offend you! Relax dude!

He was aiming at me. Sorry if you got caught up in and of the crossfire.

ldgibson76
02-26-2008, 01:04 PM
He was aiming at me. Sorry if you got caught up in and of the crossfire.

I deleted the rebuttal! It's all good! No hard feelings! All of you guys are Cool!

GMichael
02-26-2008, 01:07 PM
I wonder why we haven't heard from "Sir T"?! By now, he would have been all over this thread calling us Morons and Idiots! He's probably on another thread breakin someone else's balls!

He's over on lessons learned schooling Pixy.

Rich-n-Texas
02-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Side? I'm not on a side. I'm sitting right dab on the fence. You could say that the fence and I are like one.
Kind of like you've got a pole up your... :biggrin5:

Rich-n-Texas
02-26-2008, 01:10 PM
I think Id's turning into a troublemaker. :ihih:

Rich-n-Texas
02-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Nope, he's baaaaaaakkk!

ldgibson76
02-26-2008, 01:12 PM

What else is new?! Pix is a glutton for punishment! But regardless, he means well. I guess he thinks he gives the AVReview Forum world, balance with his outrageous observations and opinions!:skep:
He damn sure keeps "Sir T" busy!

ldgibson76
02-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Nope, he's baaaaaaakkk!

Oh Oh! Lock your doors, close your windows, hide your children, activate your security setting on your computer!:D ....."SirT" is back!

Yeah, I'm trying to get SirT started!:p

GMichael
02-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Kind of like you've got a pole up your... :biggrin5:

Cold metal poll, or splintery pickets?

ldgibson76
02-26-2008, 03:40 PM
I feel ya, man!
By the way, after I check out your photo gallery, I digress, You are no wuss at all! You are the man! As a matter of fact, a straight "Pimp"! The pad gives you away. Mauve walls, blue carpet....That's pimpin!:cornut: Not to mention the photos of all the babes! Your pimpage is of clandestine nature. And the remote control photo, more evidence of your pimpage!:cornut:

Hey "GM",

I hope I didn't offend you with the "Pimp" colloquialism. It is considered a term of endearment in the urban community! Kinda of like the vernacular, "You've got it going on!":thumbsup:

Again, no criticism intended.

L.J.
02-26-2008, 04:21 PM
How 'bout this: No PS3 in my future, only a standalone Blu-ray player

:nono:

bobsticks
02-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Hey "GM",

I hope I didn't offend you with the "Pimp" colloquialism. It is considered a term of endearment in the urban community! Kinda of like the vernacular, "You've got it going on!":thumbsup:

I wouldn't worry 'bout it Gibby. My own references to G's pimpage started at the Christmas party when he showed up with a feather in his hat, a racoon coat, and a cane. His only response was "Check my stats."...

musicman1999
02-26-2008, 05:10 PM
I voted audio but you really need both working just right for the complete experience.

bill

bobsticks
02-26-2008, 05:17 PM
I voted audio but you really need both working just right for the complete experience.

bill

What bill said...

ldgibson76
02-26-2008, 05:31 PM

There you go again L.J. Talking us to death! You are a man of many words! You need to keep it brief!:lol: BTW, have you heard from "Sir T"?! It seems that you hang out on the same threads as he does on occassion. He's been mysteriously absent. then again, he may deem himself above us mere mortals on this thread.:idea: If you hear from him, tell him I lookin' for him!

Holla!

ldgibson76
02-26-2008, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't worry 'bout it Gibby. My own references to G's pimpage started at the Christmas party when he showed up with a feather in his hat, a racoon coat, and a cane. His only response was "Check my stats."...

I knew he was a "PIMP!" :D "GM", you're the Man!:1:
Thanks for the reassurance and confirmation, "bobsticks":D

Rich-n-Texas
02-26-2008, 05:41 PM
:lol: Yeah, he looked like Huggy Bear from Husky & Starch!

Rich-n-Texas
02-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Son, why are you not over in my 3800 review thread asking me to push this button and flip that switch? :10:

Rich-n-Texas
02-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Id (okay to refer to you that way? I'm not a power typist), if you want to irritate bobsticks, just call him...

STICKY BOBBY

:biggrin5:

ldgibson76
02-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Id (okay to refer to you that way? I'm not a power typist), if you want to irritate bobsticks, just call him...

STICKY BOBBY

Hey "Bobsticks"!

Got a question for ya! Have you found a way to elevate your flat panel over your monstrous ML center channel yet?! Just curious!

bobsticks
02-26-2008, 06:21 PM
Hey "Bobsticks"!

Got a question for ya! Have you found a way to elevate your flat panel over your monstrous ML center channel yet?! Just curious!

Well, yes and no. I bought a new stand which does the job admirably...but I have since decided to break up the system and go strictly two-channel in that room. The ever-changing plan is, for the moment, to keep the Mac and the MLs where they are and move the stand and plasma into another room and integrate it with my KEF system and computer.

I'd hoped to have something cool to report by now...or at least pics...but my plan was foiled by the UPS. As it is, I'm still lookin'.

As for the "Sticky Bobby" thing, I haven't quite figured out why Rich thinks that bothers me. I mean, hey, sometimes I am sticky...generally when in situations described in the "What Would You Give Up For A 50-inch Plasma?" thread.

ldgibson76
02-26-2008, 06:40 PM

STICKY BOBBY

For you Rich, "ld" is fine!

ldgibson76
02-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Well, yes and no. I bought a new stand which does the job admirably...but I have since decided to break up the system and go strictly two-channel in that room. The ever-changing plan is, for the moment, to keep the Mac and the MLs where they are and move the stand and plasma into another room and integrate it with my KEF system and computer.

I'd hoped to have something cool to report by now...or at least pics...but my plan was foiled by the UPS. As it is, I'm still lookin'.

As for the "Sticky Bobby" thing, I haven't quite figured out why Rich thinks that bothers me. I mean, hey, sometimes I am sticky...generally when in situations described in the "What Would You Give Up For A 50-inch Plasma?" thread.

Bobsticks! Dude, you had my vote for "best HT featuring a flat panel". Now, you're dismantling it. I understand the need and desire for exclusive 2 channel playback.
Go, my fellow AVreview poster and enjoy the fruits of true stereo nirvana!
God's speed!:cornut:

bobsticks
02-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks fo rthe thought but the multi-channel scenario just didn't work in that room. The combination of equipment and spatial demands of the speakers really limited my options...and to make matters worse the attempts to integrate a proper MC dealio hurt the 2C playback.

It's all about system synergy and interaction within the confines of the room...plus I'm too cheap to spring ten grand for a processor that could be obsolete the next time HDMI has a blue-ribbon unveiling of the digital-connection-of-the-week.

And so, we march in a different direction...

Rich-n-Texas
02-26-2008, 07:36 PM
As for the "Sticky Bobby" thing, I haven't quite figured out why Rich thinks that bothers me... <SNIP inuendo sexual unnecessary the>

Sticky Bobby's behind this! I just know it!!!:mad:

Stop the Hate, b.

For you Rich, "ld" is fine!
Sounds good Iggybon! :thumbsup:<!-- / message -->
<!-- / message -->

bobsticks
02-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Aw, cumawn Richie. That's just me bein casual witcha. If I was worked up I'da had ya sleeping with nazis or cleaning pix's commode.

Rich-n-Texas
02-27-2008, 05:37 AM
Aw, cumawn Richie. That's just me bein casual witcha. If I was worked up I'da had ya sleeping with nazis or cleaning pix's commode.
Now that's just nasty x2 :vomit:

GMichael
02-27-2008, 05:53 AM
Hey "GM",

I took it as a compliment. Sorry about forgetting to thank you.
I AM the pimp-daddy of AR!

Rich-n-Texas
02-27-2008, 05:58 AM
I don't think pimps are supposed to try out the merchandise before making it available to the rest of the community are they? :rolleyes:

GMichael
02-27-2008, 06:00 AM

If my gun wasn't clogged up, I'd give you a big green one for that.

02-27-2008, 02:27 PM
What's up Sir T!

I must say, I take no pleasure in being right on this one. I really feel for the 700,000 people who have invested in the format(not the false 1 million reported by the HD DVD PG). I really hate what this war has done to the HT community. I have said this again and again, Toshiba should not have listened to the devisive microsoft speak, and got behind the other CE companies and support bluray. It would have saved them $600 million in losses, and the consumer alot of confusion.

The THX standard covers both film and sound, not just sound only. They have pushed audio within the THX standard for the home because they get royalites for every piece of equipment the badge appears on. However when you get trained within the THX program, the emphasis is equally placed on audio and video.

I think that is changing, and that change began when manufacturers realized they could create a recevier or pre-pro that met their standards, and saved money on the royalty payments by opting out of the THX liscense.

Dave, being right about this was easy since I knew all of the backroom stuff that was going on. I do not think many folks knew that Toshiba saw their position as unwinable in the middle of 07. They were not sucessful in getting any bluray exclusive studio to switch, they were not sucessful in getting other manufacturers to join them, and when they did, they cut that manufacturers throat(Onkyo). They realized that HD DVD supporters where buying two and three players, so software sales were not rising even through players sales were brisk. They spun(or lied) about the big sale with Walmart where they stated they sold 90,000 players in a day. It was more like 30,000. They kept throwing out sales figures of almost 1 million players sold worldwide, when in fact it was 700,000. When sales of Warner disc was strongly tilted towards bluray, the HD DVD PG sent people out to buy alot of disc to skew the sales figures. When NDP found out the practice, they began weighing returns against sales before reporting. The HD DVD began to throw money around early last year to buy online support for the format. AVS, HTF, HDD and several other websites where beneficiaries of this, hence why they became so HD DVD tilted. All of these website made Bluray insiders very uncomfortable, while giving HD DVD proponents like Amir the pass to say whatever they wanted.

When you saw what was happening on the inside and on the outside, you could see the desperation that Toshiba exibited was much like what we are seeing with Hillary Clintons campaign.

I do not regret purchasing my three HD DVD players, or the 160 or so disc I bought. As long as the players play, I will keep all of my movies.

Well, at least our debates were fun!

GMichael
02-27-2008, 02:29 PM
I don't think pimps are supposed to try out the merchandise before making it available to the rest of the community are they? :rolleyes:

Duh, of coarse they are. How else can I know what to charge?

02-27-2008, 02:32 PM
Mark,

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo......(runs for the water cooler again)

GMichael
02-27-2008, 02:33 PM
much like what we are seeing with Hillary Clinton's campaign.

!

Do you know how Bill and Hillary first met?

They both dated the same girl in HS.

Rich-n-Texas
02-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Duh, of coarse they are. How else can I know what to charge?<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Well, as long as you clean them up after you're done...

GMichael
02-27-2008, 02:37 PM
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Well, as long as you clean them up after you're done...

And get them shots and tested.

alt4
02-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Hey there new guy. Welcome to AR!

Thanks, really interesting place....getting a lot of info here guys!

alt4
02-27-2008, 03:06 PM
hey ldgibson76 is that your speaker set up you have in your avatar?

02-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Do you know how Bill and Hillary first met?

They both dated the same girl in HS.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....gotta peeeeeeeee......LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL....woooooooooo.. hep me Jesus!!!

02-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Oh Oh! Lock your doors, close your windows, hide your children, activate your security setting on your computer!:D ....."SirT" is back!

Yeah, I'm trying to get SirT started!:p

Yeah you got me started alright. If you had slapped me any harder with that gelfita fish, I would have had two black eyes instead of one. Thanks for getting me started!!

ldgibson76
02-27-2008, 07:11 PM
I must say, I take no pleasure in being right on this one. I really feel for the 700,000 people who have invested in the format(not the false 1 million reported by the HD DVD PG). I really hate what this war has done to the HT community. I have said this again and again, Toshiba should not have listened to the devisive microsoft speak, and got behind the other CE companies and support bluray. It would have saved them $600 million in losses, and the consumer alot of confusion.

The THX standard covers both film and sound, not just sound only. They have pushed audio within the THX standard for the home because they get royalites for every piece of equipment the badge appears on. However when you get trained within the THX program, the emphasis is equally placed on audio and video.

I think that is changing, and that change began when manufacturers realized they could create a recevier or pre-pro that met their standards, and saved money on the royalty payments by opting out of the THX liscense.

Dave, being right about this was easy since I knew all of the backroom stuff that was going on. I do not think many folks knew that Toshiba saw their position as unwinable in the middle of 07. They were not sucessful in getting any bluray exclusive studio to switch, they were not sucessful in getting other manufacturers to join them, and when they did, they cut that manufacturers throat(Onkyo). They realized that HD DVD supporters where buying two and three players, so software sales were not rising even through players sales were brisk. They spun(or lied) about the big sale with Walmart where they stated they sold 90,000 players in a day. It was more like 30,000. They kept throwing out sales figures of almost 1 million players sold worldwide, when in fact it was 700,000. When sales of Warner disc was strongly tilted towards bluray, the HD DVD PG sent people out to buy alot of disc to skew the sales figures. When NDP found out the practice, they began weighing returns against sales before reporting. The HD DVD began to throw money around early last year to buy online support for the format. AVS, HTF, HDD and several other websites where beneficiaries of this, hence why they became so HD DVD tilted. All of these website made Bluray insiders very uncomfortable, while giving HD DVD proponents like Amir the pass to say whatever they wanted.

When you saw what was happening on the inside and on the outside, you could see the desperation that Toshiba exibited was much like what we are seeing with Hillary Clintons campaign.

Well, at least our debates were fun!

Hello "Sir T"!
Good to hear from you again. I was feeling kind of neglected! :(
Dude, you just had a "Yoda" moment. Everything you touched on was eerily on point!
On the Blu ray/HD DVD subject, after you read me the riot act for my lack of understanding of what was really going on, I yielded and started really researching everything you said. And man, you were so on point. Then just as you predicted the HD DVD house of cards crumbled! Your prospective was not only accurate but educational. Thank you.

You are absolutely correct about the THX standard. It is both a video and audio standard. And I failed to acknowledge/recognize that some of the THX certified dvd's, have the condensed version of the THX audio and video calibration tests.

Again, thanks for the education and please know that all of the posts entered yesterday and today, were written in jest:D Nothing but respect for ya!
And for Pix, keep him in check, he can become buck wild without supervision! And about the "Fillet Mignon/trash can top" observation, there is an addendum. You rendered that delivery only when someone makes an asinine statement totally devoid of the facts. I know, I've been there!

By the way, My name is Lawrence, not Dave, but it's all good!
Be Cool!:cornut:

ldgibson76

ldgibson76
02-27-2008, 07:17 PM
hey ldgibson76 is that your speaker set up you have in your avatar?

Yeah, that's my speaker set up, except for the subwoofer. In the avatar, the RW12 is shown. I have the RSW10. It's about to be replaced with the Paradigm Studio 100 Pkg.
The Klipsch's are very effective for home theater. But, I have really developed an appreciation for 2 channel audio and the Klipsch RF35's fall short of giving me the accuracy I'm looking for. Don't get me wrong....they aren't bad speakers. I've been very happy with them, but, I've evolved!

Regards.

02-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Hello "Sir T"!
Good to hear from you again. I was feeling kind of neglected! :(
Dude, you just had a "Yoda" moment. Everything you touched on was eerily on point!
On the Blu ray/HD DVD subject, after you read me the riot act for my lack of understanding of what was really going on, I yielded and started really researching everything you said. And man, you were so on point. Then just as you predicted the HD DVD house of cards crumbled! Your prospective was not only accurate but educational. Thank you.

Lawrence, I was glad I helped you out man, that is what this board is all about, brudda's helping brudda's. Oh, and lets not forget forever autumn, so...brudda's helping the sistahs too!

You are absolutely correct about the THX standard. It is both a video and audio standard. And I failed to acknowledge/recognize that some of the THX certified dvd's, have the condensed version of the THX audio and video calibration tests.

They also have standards for room acoustics(which are VERY good) and for viewing angles(how far we sit from the display), and how much light get on the screen(19ftl which is the SMPTE standard) as well. THX standards when correctly applied deal with all faucets of audio and video playback.

Again, thanks for the education and please know that all of the posts entered yesterday and today, were written in jest:D Nothing but respect for ya!
And for Pix, keep him in check, he can become buck wild without supervision! And about the "Fillet Mignon/trash can top" observation, there is an addendum. You rendered that delivery only when someone makes an asinine statement totally devoid of the facts. I know, I've been there!

Hey, the fillet mignon/trash can top was a classic line that I am going to use myself. LOLOL. I think that aptly describes my delivery...LOLOL. When I got up off the floor after reading it, my eyes looked like two golf balls. I guess I got one of those reality pimp slaps!

As far as Pix is concerned, I'd rather break my foot off in his BEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPP! Damn censors!

By the way, My name is Lawrence, not Dave, but it's all good!
Be Cool!:cornut:

ldgibson76

Sorry for the mistake, don't know where I got Dave from. Maybe I was thinking about my co-worker at the time.

If I was a bit harsh with you, I apologize. My delivery can sometimes be as smooth as a loofah sponge. Its a gift you know.

GMichael
02-28-2008, 06:01 AM
Maybe I was thinking about my co-worker at the time.

Was that the guy at the water cooler you were making eyes at?

02-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Was that the guy at the water cooler you were making eyes at?

That's the one, he had nice amps

GMichael
02-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Nice firm amps?

ldgibson76
02-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Nice firm amps?

You guys are NUTS!:out: :lol:

Rich-n-Texas
02-28-2008, 11:58 AM
17 - 8 huh?

This poll is stupid.

GMichael
02-28-2008, 12:15 PM
17 - 8 huh?

This poll is stupid.

14-8 the other way over on AVS. I haven't even tried big screen forum or Projector central. I'm thinking thay'd go video over there.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1000326

GMichael
02-28-2008, 12:21 PM
You guys are NUTS!:out: :lol:

Huh? Whoa? He has nice whats?

Rich-n-Texas
02-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Better send JM to investigate.

GMichael
02-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Where is John anyhow? He used to love these kinds of threads.

Rich-n-Texas
02-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Beats me... errr.... I mean, I don't know where John is.

alt4
02-28-2008, 02:54 PM
WAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....gotta peeeeeeeee......LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL....woooooooooo.. hep me Jesus!!!

Damn!!!

ldgibson76
02-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Huh? Whoa? He has nice whats?

That's just plain foul!:shocked:

02-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Nice firm amps?

Yeah, you feel me(or maybe not mister), nice firm hot amps........

02-28-2008, 05:23 PM
Beats me... errr.... I mean, I don't know where John is.

You have seen his amps?

Rich-n-Texas
02-28-2008, 06:31 PM
I haven't seen anybody's amps so LEAVE ME ALONE! :incazzato: :cryin:

alt4
03-01-2008, 11:09 AM
ouch!