Some receiver pics [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Some receiver pics

Rich-n-Texas
02-23-2008, 06:45 PM
I don't know WTF's going on, but anyway, here's one:
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/th_frontpanelsmartfix.jpg (http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/frontpanelsmartfix.jpg)

Rich-n-Texas
02-23-2008, 06:58 PM
"The Main Monkey Business"
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/backpanelnos_n.jpg

Rich-n-Texas
02-23-2008, 07:06 PM
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/speakerswired3.jpg

I had the speakers wired in, but I pulled everything out because I had other routing to do behind the audio cabinet. And to tell you the truth, I'm no longer happy with the Parts Express banana plugs. My boss gave me a couple of sets that he purchased from Orange County Speakers...

http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BS10&Category_Code=black_chrome

I may just end up replacing all the ones I have with these.

Mr Peabody
02-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Hi Rich, glad to see you are up and running. So does this amp make any imrovement driving the B&W's?

RoadRunner6
02-23-2008, 10:31 PM
The Yamaha RX-V3800 would be my number one choice in that price range....great receiver!

Looks like you might have the rear cutout rather tight? Just a suggestion, but make sure you've got enough air circulation back there

RR6.

basite
02-24-2008, 01:44 AM
Congrats rich, that yamaha sure is fine looking...

And I'm sure she sounds as good as she looks...

Have fun,
Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Feanor
02-24-2008, 04:52 AM
"The Main Monkey Business"
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/backpanelnos_n.jpg

Four HDMi inputs, cool :cornut:

Rich-n-Texas
02-24-2008, 05:30 AM
Thanks guys. Mr. P, my initial reaction was yes, there seemed to be more detail and presence when I played Rush: Snakes & Arrows, I could crank more volume but when I went through some of the listening modes (DTS:Neo 6 music, 2 channel... etc) output sounded really bad. I found out after reading about bi-amping, which I did, the Bi-amp mode is default off. I even ran Room EQ (YPAO) in this condition and it still didn't sound right so I shut everything down. While reading the instructions for running Room EQ, it says to use the GUI to go through the setup. Well, I don't have the wiring for my TV finished up in the attic yet, so I thought I could just use the receiver's own display but apparently I do need to use an external display. I was no longer able to continue with the manual because the receiver didn't react the way it should, and I think that's because I left YPAO in an unfinished state. So last night I wheeled my 32" CRT TV out into the living room but it got late and I was tired so that's where I left off.

RR6, I have about 8" clearance above the unit; I never could find in the manual anything that states the recommended amount (thought I read like +12" somewhere), but yes I think some more cutting might be a good idea. Another reason is that the HDMI connections are along the edge of the receiver, which means there'd be a pretty sharp bend in the cables which I don't like. General accesibility would be greatly improved.

One last thing, and this may make you :lol: or :rolleyes: ... I've had a head cold for nearly a month now and along with this cold I've had a lot of sinus congestion. Along with this congestion I've had what the Dr. says is pressure on some tube in my ear which means right now I can't hear much out of it. It's been driving me :crazy: !!!

JohnMichael
02-24-2008, 05:43 AM
Congratulations Rich I hope you enjoy some great sounds. I know what you mean about sinus congestion. I just found the perfect spot for my speakers and was impressed with the sound. Then I realized how clogged my head was and I am wondering if I will be as impressed when all this nasty stuff clears out. Keep us posted when you can hear again.

oaqm
02-24-2008, 05:44 AM
Oh crap. It looks like they dropped that one too.

http://www.spydernation.com/images/oh_no.jpg

:incazzato: :incazzato: :incazzato: :incazzato: :incazzato:

BRANDONH
02-24-2008, 06:09 AM

Now that is classic.

BRANDONH
02-24-2008, 06:10 AM
Four HDMi inputs, cool :cornut:
time for a turntable as well

Rich-n-Texas
02-24-2008, 06:35 AM

Ha Ha Ha Ha! :lol: Not beyond the realm of possibilities for me oaqm... trust me! And just for that, you owe me a couple Photoshop tutorials! :smilewinkgrin: (Wait'll pix gets a load of this :rolleyes: )

BRANDONH, I still have my old Pioneer PL-400 TT which I was planning to use with my 2 channel setup that I'm going to work on after this project, but some of the beautiful pieces I've seen on other's setups gives me the itch. Someday...

basite
02-24-2008, 07:23 AM
One last thing, and this may make you :lol: or :rolleyes: ... I've had a head cold for nearly a month now and along with this cold I've had a lot of sinus congestion. Along with this congestion I've had what the Dr. says is pressure on some tube in my ear which means right now I can't hear much out of it. It's been driving me :crazy: !!!

ah, welcome to my life...

I have a +- 6db hearing loss at the moment in my left ear only. it's beend riving me :crazy: too...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Mr Peabody
02-24-2008, 07:29 AM
When I get that pressure in my ears to where they feel stopped up, similar to if I was up in an airplane, the only thing that seems to eliminate that is a round of steroids.

Rich-n-Texas
02-24-2008, 08:03 AM
Looks like this year's flu shot was a waste of time. It's VERY annoying. My doctor said take some Sudafed or Mucinex; did the Sudafed deal...didn't do squat but I just can't seem to bring myself to try something that you see on TV depicted by talking lugies (greenies) ya know?

L.J.
02-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Dang Rich!!!! That looks sweet. Not as good as my 2700 but it's OK :cornut:

BTW, if it makes you guys feel any better, I'm sick too :(

Rich-n-Texas
02-24-2008, 08:38 AM
If germs can be spread through Cyberspace we know who to blame.:incazzato:

ldgibson76
02-24-2008, 09:41 AM
If germs can be spread through Cyberspace we know who to blame.:incazzato:

Hello Rich!

Thank you for the photo experience. I must say, to take the time to share your purchasing experience with us is exemplary. I'm very happy for you. I hope you find complete satisfaction with the RX-V3800. Your B&W's are gonna sing once you have the system setup to your liking.
About the ear thing, I remember I for some reason had excessive wax build up deep in my ears and after many attempts of washing out the wax and no success, I went to an ENT doctor and they thoroughly washed and rinsed my ears. The difference was incredible. I started to hear sounds I never knew existed. Especially when listening to music. Because my appreciation for sound quality has grown exponentially, I now make it a point to visit the ENT doctor every 3 months or so.
Oh yeah, once everything is set up, will you evaluate the DSP modes to see if there has been an improvement in execution over your last Yammie?! Remember that at one time, that was Yamaha's primary weapon, if you will, in their AVR's. Now with the new Hi-Rez formats, the question is whether or not the DSP's have lessened in importance.

ldgibson76
02-24-2008, 09:44 AM
Dang Rich!!!! That looks sweet. Not as good as my 2700 but it's OK :cornut:

BTW, if it makes you guys feel any better, I'm sick too :(

Don't hate L.J.!
You know that the 3800 is definitely a step above the 2700....a BIG step above!:cornut:

ldgibson76
02-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Ha Ha Ha Ha! :lol: Not beyond the realm of possibilities for me oaqm... trust me! And just for that, you owe me a couple Photoshop tutorials! :smilewinkgrin: (Wait'll pix gets a load of this :rolleyes: )

BRANDONH, I still have my old Pioneer PL-400 TT which I was planning to use with my 2 channel setup that I'm going to work on after this project, but some of the beautiful pieces I've seen on other's setups gives me the itch. Someday...

That photo is very disturbing! :eek6: :mad5:
Could you imagine after setting up your new AVR and that happened?! Ballistic doesn't even come close to what my reaction would be!

Rich-n-Texas
02-24-2008, 02:18 PM
That picture was hilarious. And thank you very much Idgibson for your kind words. After what I went through with this purchase it was certainly comforting to get that kind of response (all going to go to he!! when pixelthis checks in though :rolleyes: ).

Rich-n-Texas
02-24-2008, 02:43 PM
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/Roughed-in001.jpg

This is where it'll sit in the audio cabinet. I widened the access hole behind it; it took some of the strain off of a couple of IC's, but the unit was still quite warm when I put my hand on the grill after cranking some Pink Floyd in DTS: Neo 6.

Oh yeah, once everything is set up, will you evaluate the DSP modes to see if there has been an improvement in execution over your last Yammie?! Remember that at one time, that was Yamaha's primary weapon, if you will, in their AVR's. Now with the new Hi-Rez formats, the question is whether or not the DSP's have lessened in importance.
I'm going to write about my first impressions in another thread, and I'll address this in it as well.

audio amateur
02-24-2008, 03:31 PM
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ldgibson76
02-24-2008, 04:02 PM
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/Roughed-in001.jpg

This is where it'll sit in the audio cabinet. I widened the access hole behind it; it took some of the strain off of a couple of IC's, but the unit was still quite warm when I put my hand on the grill after cranking some Pink Floyd in DTS: Neo 6.

I'm going to write about my first impressions in another thread, and I'll address this in it as well.

You're the man!:cornut:

Have fun!

ldgibson76
02-24-2008, 04:21 PM

Hey Rich,

Check this out for a possible solution for keping your new Yammie cool.
http://www.middleatlantic.com/pdf/COMP-COOL_sellsheet_toprint.pdf

It seems like a nice solution. tell me what you think.

TheHills44060
02-24-2008, 04:43 PM
geez i don't think you could fit another input on the back of that receiver if you had a crowbar

musicman1999
02-24-2008, 05:39 PM

Man that does not look like 57 inch.

bill

Rich-n-Texas
02-24-2008, 07:14 PM
No, but it does have stereo speakers! :ihih:

bobsticks
02-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Hey Richie Rich,

Congrats (finally) on the arrival of the new toy. I've recently had some exceedingly negative experiences with UPS, a McIntosh C32, and someones Pele fantasy. It seems once something gets SNAFUed it's all downhill afterward. Good to see you came over in the end.

I experienced some heat and strain with my Yammie as well. I don't think it's either exaggeration or insult to say that they don't have the amp sections to push anything that likes a lot of current. You're B&Ws would fall into that category. Before I hopped on the blue-light express I had very good luck with a Rotel multi-channel unit and can recommend the RMB 1066 as a cost effective way of adding a little spring to the step of yer speaks.

Keep truckin' and have some fun,

--sticks

Wireworm5
02-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Sometimes a cold or flu is a good thing. I was sick for like 2 weeks. With all the nose blowing a dead fly popped out of my left ear that flew in there last summer.

Don't worry about overheating the Yammie. If it's like mine if you work in hard enough the fan will come on. I had a pretty heavy load, using both A/B speakers at the same time cranked.

Lately however I have to manually set some of the settings every time I turn it on. Seems the system memory doesn't work anymore. There must be a battery for it inside the receiver, but I'm to lazy to disconnect everything with the mess of wires back there, and open it up.

Rich-n-Texas
02-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Thanks sticks. I always appreciate your input. Mr. P pointed out Rotel to me previously; I saved quite a bit 'o dough with this, so later on down the road...

I got a measure of future-proofing which is important to me, and by the time I get this thing figured out... oh geez, I hope I'm not senile by that time... :(

Rich-n-Texas
02-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Sometimes a cold or flu is a good thing. I was sick for like 2 weeks. With all the nose blowing a dead fly popped out of my left ear that flew in there last summer.
Didn't it start to smell after a while?

Don't worry about overheating the Yammie. If it's like mine if you work in hard enough the fan will come on. I had a pretty heavy load, using both A/B speakers at the same time cranked.
Fan? I don't know. What's your Yammie like?:idea:

Lately however I have to manually set some of the settings every time I turn it on. Seems the system memory doesn't work anymore. There must be a battery for it inside the receiver, but I'm to lazy to disconnect everything with the mess of wires back there, and open it up.
If I run across one I'll let ya know. Sound good lemme know.

Wireworm5
02-24-2008, 07:55 PM
No, there was no smell. My ear was bothering me slightly, I attributed that to a wisdom tooth. The dentist said that that tooth is not connected to the nerve in my ear. But it still causes me aggravation.
I had a problem with fruit flies in the summer. They were everywhere. I'm also a slob, thus the name wireworm5. It means maggot.
That's the good thing about a cold Canadian winter. Open up the doors and windows and flies are history.

Anyways I have the 2200 for about 5 years now. I presume that there must be a battery inside that needs replacing.

bobsticks
02-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks sticks. I always appreciate your input. Mr. P pointed out Rotel to me previously; I saved quite a bit 'o dough with this, so later on down the road...

I got a measure of future-proofing which is important to me, and by the time I get this thing figured out... oh geez, I hope I'm not senile by that time... :(

Well, if the situation gets too dire let me know and we'll work something out. Mine's been sitting on my kitchen table for a couple of months...really haven't needed the "back-up amp".

By the way, and of no particular importance other than to piss in everyone's Wheaties, I haven't been sick this season...a phenomenom I owe chiefly to my Hillary Swank-like vitamin regiment. Nothin' beats proper nutrition and...um, supplementation.

StevenSurprenant
02-24-2008, 08:54 PM
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/speakerswired3.jpg

I had the speakers wired in, but I pulled everything out because I had other routing to do behind the audio cabinet. And to tell you the truth, I'm no longer happy with the Parts Express banana plugs. My boss gave me a couple of sets that he purchased from Orange County Speakers...

http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BS10&Category_Code=black_chrome

I may just end up replacing all the ones I have with these.

Thanks for the heads up on these banana plugs. I ordered them...

pixelthis
02-25-2008, 03:34 AM
That picture was hilarious. And thank you very much Idgibson for your kind words. After what I went through with this purchase it was certainly comforting to get that kind of response (all going to go to he!! when pixelthis checks in though :rolleyes: ).

Some people would gripe if you hung em with a new rope.

Really tho, congrats on you're new toy, its actually not only a receiver but has provisions
to be a pre pro.
The ventilation looks fine, you will find that it runs a tad hot, don't worry about it.
If I were you I'd stick to HDMI, and a straight analog in on the CD and turntable of course.
Should make for an uncluttered rear.
Also you are going to need a good universal, Yamaha is notorious for their lack of ergonomics with their remotes (truse me, I know):1:

Rich-n-Texas
02-25-2008, 05:22 AM
Some people would gripe if you hung em with a new rope.
I wouldn't. I like ropes that are used because the break-in period helps soften them and thus more comfortable against my neck.

Really tho, congrats on you're new toy, its actually not only a receiver but has provisions
to be a pre pro.
I know what I'd gain with a separate amp, but what would I lose? Again, I bought this with next year and the year after that in mind.

The ventilation looks fine, you will find that it runs a tad hot, don't worry about it.
Well, when I fill the cabinet with more goodies and the door goes back on, things will change. An extremely quiet fan(s) that moves a LOT of air is something I would consider. Is it safe to assume that a Blu-ray player produces as much heat as a CD/DVD player which = 0?

If I were you I'd stick to HDMI, and a straight analog in on the CD and turntable of course.
I agree. I'll use HDMI wherever it's feasible.

Should make GM happy.

Also you are going to need a good universal, Yamaha is notorious for their lack of ergonomics with their remotes (truse me, I know):1:
You're getting forgetful in your old age... Harmony 880 remember?

GMichael
02-25-2008, 06:15 AM
Congrats Rich,

I'm happy to see you are enjoying it. Any luck with that set-up yet?
Bi-amping huh? That may be helpful to drive those puppies in 2 channel mode. When's the stereo warming party?

Originally Posted by pixelthis,

Tex,
Should make GM happy.

GM,
WTF!?

Rich-n-Texas
02-25-2008, 06:19 AM
Thanks GM. I realized when I brought up the manual on my PC that Bi-amping is turned off by default, and a combination of front panel button presses brings up Advanced Mode, which is where you can turn that on as well as look at other settings such as speaker impedence, GUI language and that kind of thing.

GMichael
02-25-2008, 06:22 AM
There is a learning curve for sure.

Rich-n-Texas
02-25-2008, 06:32 AM
Before I bought this I downloaded the manual from Yamaha's website. It's a .pdf and I'll tell ya, using Adobe Reader when trying to find information and directions has turned out to be a major time saver. I turned on the Search feature, then went into the advanced mode and the program becomes simply a VERY powerful tool. I just typed "Bi amp" in the search box and every instance was displayed as a link to the specific page. The paper manual (not xeroxed BTW) is just too thick and overwhelming to me, so life is much easier now.

StevenSurprenant
02-25-2008, 06:34 AM
Question about bi-amp mode...

I am using Maggies and they draw alot of current.

If I set the Panny in bi-amp mode and run both speaker outputs of one channel to to one speaker, does the amount of current double to that speaker?

StevenSurprenant
02-25-2008, 06:39 AM
Before I bought this I downloaded the manual from Yamaha's website. It's a .pdf and I'll tell ya, using Adobe Reader when trying to find information and directions has turned out to be a major time saver. I turned on the Search feature, then went into the advanced mode and the program becomes simply a VERY powerful tool. I just typed "Bi amp" in the search box and every instance was displayed as a link to the specific page. The paper manual (not xeroxed BTW) is just too thick and overwhelming to me, so life is much easier now.

It's also great for viewing your connections without having to look at the rear of the receiver.

This has already been mentioned by one member but here is another cooling option again.

http://www.coolcomponents.com/Cooling-Products_c_6.html

Rich-n-Texas
02-25-2008, 06:41 AM
Well, if the situation gets too dire let me know and we'll work something out. Mine's been sitting on my kitchen table for a couple of months...really haven't needed the "back-up amp".
There's a Rotel RMB 1075 on eBay right now with the high bid @ $610. :ihih:

By the way, and of no particular importance other than to piss in everyone's Wheaties, I haven't been sick this season...a phenomenom I owe chiefly to my Hillary Swank-like vitamin regiment. Nothin' beats proper nutrition and...um, supplementation.
[NC]
Funny you should mention Hilary Swank. I watched Million Dollar Baby last night. Okay movie, sad ending.

GMichael
02-25-2008, 06:53 AM
Question about bi-amp mode...

I am using Maggies and they draw alot of current.

If I set the Panny in bi-amp mode and run both speaker outputs of one channel to to one speaker, does the amount of current double to that speaker?

No. It does split the load between two amps though. So now each one is only working half as hard. But you do still only have the one power supply so that becomes your weak link now. Should be no issue in 2 channel mode. In multi-channel mode it can be a drawback.

Rich-n-Texas
02-25-2008, 06:56 AM
http://www.coolcomponents.com/Cooling-Products_c_6.html
Interesting. I like that approach although I'd have to keep the cabinet door open to allow for unrestricted airflow, and with the door opened the left speaker's tweeter would be blocked. I suppose I could enlarge the access opening at the back and turn the large square one shown on the website with two fans around. Pricey unit though.

StevenSurprenant
02-25-2008, 07:07 AM
No. It does split the load between two amps though. So now each one is only working half as hard. But you do still only have the one power supply so that becomes your weak link now. Should be no issue in 2 channel mode. In multi-channel mode it can be a drawback.

Trying to understand...

Since the power supply handles the load now for the volume I am using , using the bi-amp mode at the same volume will produce zero improvement, except that now the load on the transistors will be reduced by half resulting in "greater longevity"?

This of course applies only if I don't increase the volume to any more than I am using now.

In my system, I am using 5.1 so that the unused L/R rear would now feed the L/R front.

Did I understand that correctly?

Thanks GM

GMichael
02-25-2008, 07:25 AM
Trying to understand...

Since the power supply handles the load now for the volume I am using , using the bi-amp mode at the same volume will produce zero improvement, except that now the load on the transistors will be reduced by half resulting in "greater longevity"?

This of course applies only if I don't increase the volume to any more than I am using now.

In my system, I am using 5.1 so that the unused L/R rear would now feed the L/R front.

Did I understand that correctly?

Thanks GM

Mostly. But if you are not already maxing out your power supply, then bi-amp will help. It will spread the load. The result is more than just longevity. It can help to prevent clipping.
If you are maxing out your power supply (which I doubt) then there would be no net effect.

StevenSurprenant
02-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Mostly. But if you are not already maxing out your power supply, then bi-amp will help. It will spread the load. The result is more than just longevity. It can help to prevent clipping.
If you are maxing out your power supply (which I doubt) then there would be no net effect.

Thanks GM...

That makes total sense.

Rich-n-Texas
02-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Greenie for GM!

:incazzato:

topspeed
02-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Sweeeet TV stand! Is that a Bello? Salamander? I like that it doubles as a crawler for getting under the F-body to fix it again.

I'm just bustin' yo chops. Nice toys. I had no idea B&W actually made a dedicated CC for the Matrix line. Are those Auralex MoPads beneath the it?

Yammie makes excellent equipment. I've always been impressed with that fact they make their own boards and DAC's. In fact, they may very well be the only ones that do this still. Whatever, you've gotta love a company that excels in everything they set their minds to: audio gear, highly revered musical instruments, World championship winning motorcycles, engineering for F1 cars, etc.

Enjoy your new set-up!

BTW, I've heard of a new home-brew to clear your ears: Straight pipes cut just aft of the converter. Rev to 6000 and it should clean you right out (if not your neighbors :D)

Rich-n-Texas
02-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Sweeeet TV stand! Is that a Bello? Salamander? I like that it doubles as a crawler for getting under the F-body to fix it again.
I'd have to lose about 75 lbs before I could get under it. No, those days have pretty much sailed off into the sunset. The dolly is a Home Depot Shopper Stopper that I bought last year. It rolls really well, I must say.

I'm just bustin' yo chops. Nice toys. I had no idea B&W actually made a dedicated CC for the Matrix line. Are those Auralex MoPads beneath the it?
Yes, recommended by L.J. to help bring the CC up off the floor and pointed in the right direction. The Logo's not visible because they're turned around.

Yammie makes excellent equipment. I've always been impressed with that fact they make their own boards and DAC's. In fact, they may very well be the only ones that do this still. Whatever, you've gotta love a company that excels in everything they set their minds to: audio gear, highly revered musical instruments, World championship winning motorcycles, engineering for F1 cars, etc.
Good to know I'm in good company.

Enjoy your new set-up! Thanks man! :thumbsup:

BTW, I've heard of a new home-brew to clear your ears: Straight pipes cut just aft of the converter. Rev to 6000 and it should clean you right out (if not your neighbors :D)
Ain't gonna happen. I'd kill myself before I went cuttin' on my custom true dual exhaust fab'ed and installed by RoadTech! :hand:

StevenSurprenant
02-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Another cooling option...

http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/Antec_Veris_AV_Cooler/index.shtml

pixelthis
02-26-2008, 12:57 AM
Radioshack has a fan in the parts dept in the back.
Runs off of 120 vac.
I attached a plug, plugged it into the switched out on the back of my receiver,
when I TURN ON MY RECEIVER IT TURNS ON.
And the plug has a line switch to turn it off when I need to:1:

StevenSurprenant
02-29-2008, 05:40 AM
Another cooling option...

http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/Antec_Veris_AV_Cooler/index.shtml

I bought the Antec Veris Audio/Video Component Cooler and it works as indicated.

I have about 2.5 inches above my Yamaha 1800 and during normal operation there is a moderate amount of heat coming from the cooling fins inside the unit. With the Antec set on top of the Yamaha and set to low or high, there was no heat detectable from the cooling fins. This was even better than setting the Yamaha on top of the component stand with nothing above it.

I would say that the the unit was a success, except for one thing...

It makes a moderate amount of noise during use. On low, it is barely dectectable, but on high, it was very noticable. Once a movie starts, I wasn't aware of it.

Still, I contacted Antec to see if there is a fix for this noise.

I'll keep you informed...

BTW, the unit looks very nice and is the same size as the Yamaha 1800 in width and a couple inches shorter in depth.

Rich-n-Texas
02-29-2008, 06:44 AM
How 'bout that? I use antec fans and power supplies in my desktop PC's. Stephen, if what you're hearing at high speed is the flow of air, don't count on Antec for a "fix". Antec fans, from my experience are usually super quiet from the get-go. If you're hearing a squeeling noise, that's a different story.

Nevertheless, I notice a lot of heat, and I mean not being able to leave my hand on the grill when, like last night I had a muli-channel CD playing at a pretty loud volume. Not likely that even during quiet passages of the song I'd hear the fans. I like the stylish, low profile design; I trust Antec's quality and the price is much lower than the Cool Components fans you pointed out earlier. Thanks for the info.

Question: From what dealer/online retailer did you buy it?

StevenSurprenant
03-01-2008, 05:25 AM
Question: From what dealer/online retailer did you buy it?

That would be zipzoomfly...

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10007570&prodlist=celebros

The noise I am hearing is more of a vibration which goes away when the unit is upside down or set on it's side.

Rich-n-Texas
03-10-2008, 10:25 AM
I don't think I need to start another thread (don't want to be obnoxious) so I'll add other project pictures here.

BTW, I'm having (and have always had) a lot of problems trying to get my pictures uploaded to the gallery. I asked for a tutorial a loooooong time ago but got no response. :frown2:

Anyway, I'll start with the receiver & speaker connections using the new banana plugs I purchased...
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/th_receiverconnections003.jpg (http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/receiverconnections003.jpg)

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/th_wallconnections005.jpg (http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/wallconnections005.jpg)

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/th_wallconnections001.jpg (http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/wallconnections001.jpg)

I really really like those GLS plugs. IMO they look sharp, and in my next post I'll show how I assembled the cables.

Rich-n-Texas
03-10-2008, 10:49 AM
I wanted to do whatever I could to inhibit oxidation of the OFC wire so I went to Frys and got two diameters of heat-shrink. I needed the smaller diameter tube to build up the insulation around the inner part of the plug because as it turns out that even though the website indicates the plug will work with most ordinary 12 AWG wire, it didn't work for me with the Sound King and Dayton Audio speaker wire.

I wanted to get black AND red heatshrink so I could allow some of it to stick out the back of the plug for even easier identification, but they didn't have the red I needed so I cut the pieces to stay inside the connector.

It's not real complicated and I'm not using high dollar materials but it suits my purposes.

Here are the tools and materials... (Notice the Rush tickets in the upper part of the picture :biggrin5: )

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/th_cableassembly009.jpg (http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/cableassembly009.jpg)

Here are the assembly stages...

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/th_cableassembly002.jpg (http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/cableassembly002.jpg)

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/th_cableassembly004.jpg (http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/cableassembly003.jpg)

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/th_cableassembly006.jpg (http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/cableassembly006.jpg)

And the finished product...

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/th_cableassembly007.jpg (http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/Home%20Theater%20photos/cableassembly007.jpg)

GMichael
03-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Nice pics Tex,

It sure looks like you have done your homework. Great job.

pixelthis
03-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Exactly the same plugs I have, except I got mine at the "shack"
Neat job, BTW, but I dont really see the need for heatshrink.
I just soldered my cables to these
:1:

GMichael
03-11-2008, 05:23 AM
Exactly the same plugs I have, except I got mine at the "shack"
Neat job, BTW, but I dont really see the need for heatshrink.
I just soldered my cables to these
:1:

He is concerned about oxidation.

Rich-n-Texas
03-11-2008, 05:25 AM
The heat shrink served two purposes. The first piece helped build up the insulation so when the back part of the plug gets screwed onto the main body of the plug, which has the four "tabs" that squeeze together, the grip on the insulation is strong. The heatshrink doesn't move when it's shrunk down. The purpose of the second piece is to build up that area as well as provide some aid against oxidation of the OFC wire.

Soldering the wires to the plugs only gives rigidity to the stripped wire but not inside the insulation at the very end where it was stripped off. My method gives the connection strength all the way back to the end of the plug. And I imagine you needed to apply a LOT of heat to get solder to flow inside the giant heatsink that is the metal plug.

Rich-n-Texas
03-11-2008, 05:27 AM
And he rags on me about not reading the manuel. :rolleyes:

pixelthis
03-11-2008, 11:39 PM

HE SHOULDN'T BE.
I have used such plugs for years, and havent noticed any oxidation at all.
THE PLASTIC SHEATH does fine for protection.
This just seems rather "anal" to me is all.
An easier way is to wrap the plug with black electrical tape , and coat that with glue if you arent yet satisfied:1:

Rich-n-Texas
03-12-2008, 04:16 AM
...This just seems rather "anal" to me is all...
I thought that was a good thing in this hobby. Pay attention to the details.

StevenSurprenant
03-12-2008, 04:16 AM

The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition. 2002.

Anal Personality

(AYN-l) A popular term for “anal retentive personality,” a personality marked by excessive orderliness, extreme meticulousness, and often suspicion and reserve. According to psychoanalysis, an anal personality is formed in early childhood as a result of efforts to control bowel movements.

So what you are saying is that Rich-n-Texas kept his shorts clean as a child?

http://www.myspaceantics.com/images/funny/anal-exams.jpg

Sounds admirable to me!

Rich-n-Texas
03-12-2008, 04:55 AM
Ha ha ha ha ha! Too funny! :lol:

Yes, it wasn't until much later on in life when I had to start dealing with skid marks. :rolleyes:

I know, that was gross. At least I don't have to worry about "Anal leakage" though ya know?

GMichael
03-12-2008, 05:08 AM
HE SHOULDN'T BE.
I have used such plugs for years, and havent noticed any oxidation at all.
THE PLASTIC SHEATH does fine for protection.
An easier way is to wrap the plug with black electrical tape , and coat that with glue if you arent yet satisfied:1:

Those little heat shink tube things are fun. I can't blame him for wanting to finish his job off neatly.

Rich,
As far as you last comments go? Yick!

Rich-n-Texas
03-12-2008, 06:33 AM
Just remember GM, I didn't start the "Anal leakage" discussion. That was some other old guy IIRC.

E-Stat
03-12-2008, 02:53 PM
HE SHOULDN'T BE. I have used such plugs for years, and havent noticed any oxidation at all.
Oxidation will occur with untreated copper. Period. That's why the better speaker cables use rhodium connectors and are shrink wrapped.

http://home.cablelynx.com/~rhw/audio/wire.jpg

rw

pixelthis
03-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Those little heat shink tube things are fun. I can't blame him for wanting to finish his job off neatly.

Rich,
As far as you last comments go? Yick!

WELL, you've heard the old saying, when you're up to your neck in alligators
its kinda hard to remember that your original purpose was to drain the swamp.
And Rich has enough to start a wallet company.
I generally breadboard my system, get everything working, THEN I start working on the details.
THIS FILLS THE LONG TIMES BETWEEN UPGRADES,
you cant buy new gear every week:1:

GMichael
03-13-2008, 05:23 AM
WELL, you've heard the old saying, when you're up to your neck in alligators
its kinda hard to remember that your original purpose was to drain the swamp.
And Rich has enough to start a wallet company.
I generally breadboard my system, get everything working, THEN I start working on the details.
THIS FILLS THE LONG TIMES BETWEEN UPGRADES,
you cant buy new gear every week:1:

That can be a way to pass the time. I hope it works out well for you. But I can't fault Rich for wanting to do things right the first time.
Go go Tex. Get down with your bad self!

StevenSurprenant
03-13-2008, 05:45 AM
FYI...

I bought the same Banana plugs as Rich-n-Texas from speakerrepair.com and I have to give a big thumbs up for the price and quality of the plugs. I also have to say that their customer service is outstanding.

Why outstanding?

They ship quickly and send an email to let you know they are on their way.

I had a problem in that I ordered three boxes of these plugs thinking I was getting an equal number of red and black plugs. What I received was two boxes of red plugs and one box of black plugs. That wouldn't do so I called speakerrepair to order another box of black plugs and the gal there told me that they had made a mistake and they would send me a box of black plugs at no cost. I offered to pay for them, but she wouldn't accept it.

When I got home there was an email from them saying they were shipped. WOW!

Very pleasant people to deal with.

This is just a heads up for a very good company.

diggity
03-13-2008, 05:53 AM
they look really neat. i was gonna heatshrink my cables but i just wrapped electrical tape around them. i did wrap them TWICE per cable so i did it right the first time...lol

cheers: diggity

Rich-n-Texas
03-13-2008, 06:03 AM
Took the words right out of my mouth Steven. They shorted me two pairs so I called them right away; the nice lady told me they'd ship them USPS Priority at no charge to me, and when I got home from work on Monday they were at my door. These are better than the Dayton Audio plugs IMO, and price out about the same. After what I went through with 6ave and their idiotic shipping company it was a very big relief to have an experience like this. I was able to finish all speaker cabling that night. I highly recommend them as well, but just make sure you count the parts right away.

Rich-n-Texas
03-13-2008, 06:07 AM
The experiences I've had with electrical tape is that over time the adhesive separates (best way I can think of to describe it) and you end up with a sticky mess. It takes a long time for this to happen, but heatshrink is pretty much permanent. Just don't ingest it. :smilewinkgrin:

diggity
03-13-2008, 06:19 AM
but i planned that. the stickiness gets all dust from behind there. a kinda self cleaning set-up. patent pending of course...lol but in all seriousness i did heat wrap my cables

Rich-n-Texas
03-13-2008, 06:25 AM
but i planned that. the stickiness gets all dust from behind there. a kinda self cleaning set-up. patent pending of course...lol but in all seriousness i did heat wrap my cables
After you get your patent just name your price! These days I have to move my cabinets out like three feet to get my girth back there.:incazzato:

pixelthis
03-13-2008, 10:03 PM
After you get your patent just name your price! These days I have to move my cabinets out like three feet to get my girth back there.:incazzato:

THAT SOUNDS MORE LIKE A HAMBURGER PROBLEM.

Really tho, didn't a company a few years back sell a kit where you could custom cut your cables to size?
SURE WOULD LOVE TO HAVE ONE OF THOSE:1:

diggity
03-15-2008, 12:00 AM

well the r&d did cost alot so for the first few years the cost will be high but the quality will match this. but after i move production to china the consumer will reap the benefits.

cheers: dazza