surround suggestions to match my 9semk2's and cc350 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : surround suggestions to match my 9semk2's and cc350

jmcobretti
02-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Good evening everybody, thanks for all your speaker reviews! I need some help picking out some surrounds. I've got Paradigm 9semk2's for fronts, a cc350 and a pdr12 sub. I'm using a marantz 6200 to run it all. I'd like to stick with Paradigm. 50/50 stereo, HT. How much information comes from surrounds? Do I need full range or satellites? Out of necessity they have to be mounted on the wall behind me about 7' off the floor. Is dipole worth the extra money? Thanks alot guys.

bully12
02-27-2008, 10:42 AM
I have used the Paradigm Mini Monitors and the Monitor 5's as surrounds with Monitor 9's as fronts. I honestly did not see a great deal of difference between the two when I was only using them as rear channel speakers. I also did a demo with the dipole style Paradigms and could not justify the cost. I have since listened to some hi-end surround setups, and only a couple used the dipole approach. Since you have to mount them, my personal thought is the mini-monitors will be easy to mount and not too heavy. If you want something newer, I think the new Atoms are quite good for their price.

meltdown
02-27-2008, 11:25 AM
I once ran the Monitor 9's with 5's as surrounds. I felt that the 5's were over kill for surround work, unless you got into DTS formats or switch your preamp for dolby digital plus pro logic mix. I picked up a couple of sets of Cinema 220's and 330's, 220's run about 300 bucks and the 330's 600. These are great wall mounted speakers which I think are ideal for both movies and music. They are crisp and clear. Even during the cannon shots in " Master and Commander" the reports sound live. These speakers come either silver or black, and they mount on a 30 degree angle securely to the wall. Up and out of the way. The Mini Monitors are great little speakers, but add in the cost of a set of stands and your getting into the Cinema 330 range. Plus the Cinemas blend in better then hanging a square box on the wall. Check them out on the Paradigm site.

meltdown
02-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Just a footnote, the Cinema 330's are pretty beefy for their size. If your mounting into dryway, make sure you mount them securely