Rave recordings??-well at least pretty good... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rave recordings??-well at least pretty good...

thekid
02-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Today's mega thrift store score........

Santana-Moonflower
Foreigner-4 (still in plastic)
Foreigner-Records
Genesis-Trespass
Genesis-Genesis
Steve Miller- Greatest Hits 74-78
ZZ Top-Afterburner
ZZ Top-El Loco
Dan Fogelberg-The Innocent Age
Doobie Bros-Best of
Neil Young- Live Rust
Steely Dan-Greatest Hits
Yes-The Yes Album
ELO-Greatest Hits NEVER OPENED-Worth Anything????
Kansas-Best of
Don Henley-Building the Perfect Beast
Alan Parsons Project-I Robot
John Lenon-Double Fantasy
Bad Company-10 from 6
Peter Gabriel-Shock the Monkey
Elton John-Greatest Hits
Jackson Browne-For Everyman
CSN&Y-Deja Vu
Billy Joel-Innocent Man
Blood,Sweat and Tears-Blood Sweat and Tears
Gerry Rafferty-City to City
Jimmy Buffet-Havanna Day
Harry Chapin-Greatest Stories Live
Flying Burrito Bros-Gilded Palace of Sin
Carole King-Simple Things
The Big Chill Soundtrack
Chicago-Chicago
Eagles-Hotel California

Most ly 80's and greatest hits but still pretty good for 1 stop shopping at bargain prices......

thekid
03-06-2008, 02:54 AM
This weekend I added;

Supertramp-Even in the Quietest Moments
Loggins and Messina-Sitting In
Graham Nash- Songs for Beginners
Rush-Exit...Stage Left
Bruce Springsteen- Born to Run
The Alan Parsons Project-The Turn of a Friendly Card
Yes-90125
Poco-Legend
ELO's-Greates Hits
Joe Walsh-Best of...
Iron Butterfly- In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Anyone else having luck finding LP deals at their local thrifts?

bobsticks
03-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Solid finds especially if they're in good condition. You were talkin' bout submitting something for the comp...I'd say the Genesis or Kansas would go over pretty well with this crowd. Mebbe Gabriel.

Of course, diversity is the key for a proper comp and who cares what everyone else thinks anyway. If it were me I'd throw in something from Blood Sweat and Tears or Poco.

Forever Autumn might want to listen to "Baker Street" for the six thousandth time.

Cheers

JohnMichael
03-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Good choice in picking up some Carole King. I love Simple Things.

thekid
03-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Solid finds especially if they're in good condition. You were talkin' bout submitting something for the comp...I'd say the Genesis or Kansas would go over pretty well with this crowd. Mebbe Gabriel.

Of course, diversity is the key for a proper comp and who cares what everyone else thinks anyway. If it were me I'd throw in something from Blood Sweat and Tears or Poco.

Forever Autumn might want to listen to "Baker Street" for the six thousandth time.

Cheers

I am a big fan of Genesis myself, my wife had "Follow you, Follow me" inscribed on my wedding ring. Nothing to say I could not put more than one on the disc......:15:

So far you and John Michael have responded and hopefully we will see what others will have to say.

3-LockBox
03-06-2008, 11:02 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">All vinyl? wow...

I love that Gerry Rafferty City To City album.

I might recommend finding Kansas' album proper, as the Best Of is mastered pretty poorly.

Turn Of A Friendly Card should sound great, as well as I Robot.

I haven't heard many of these on LP. I used to own some of them. I had that ELO 'Greatest Hits' on LP way back when, but there is such a wealth of good ELO that never made it to that set, I wound up chasing the album propers down.

I never heard that first Genesis album, or the Santana LP, or the Graham Nash one. Deep cuts are usually a good idea for comps.

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ForeverAutumn
03-07-2008, 06:27 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad2:

Actually, nice list. Lots of favourites in there. In fact, I just picked up the Best of Joe Walsh on CD a couple weeks ago.

Ditto on what 3-LB said about Kansas. I don't know what's on their best of, but I'm willing to bet it's not what most fans would consider their best. Carry On Wayward Son and Dust in the Wind are excellent songs, but IMO were hits because they were short and radio friendly, but definately not Kansas' best.

Hmmmm. But I do believe that I'll spin Point of Know Return this morning. :2:

nobody
03-07-2008, 08:35 AM
I always kinda prefer Right Down the Line myself, but also enjoy that album.

I used to always find stuff in thrifts, but rarely find anything decent anymore. I'm not sure if its more people looking and picking everything out or just supply going down. Could be people know to sell albums to dealers if they have to dump a decent collection these days.

3-LockBox
03-07-2008, 03:13 PM
I used to always find stuff in thrifts, but rarely find anything decent anymore. I'm not sure if its more people looking and picking everything out or just supply going down. Could be people know to sell albums to dealers if they have to dump a decent collection these days.

E-bay

thekid
03-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Okay were getting there.....
Just stopped by the local SA on the way home from work and got the following;

Bob Dylan-Nashville Skyline
Simon and Garfunkel-Bookends
Beatles-Abbey Road
Beatles-Hey Jude
Neil Young w/Crazy Horse-Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon (Still has the posters and sticker sheet-worth anything?)
Rolling Stones-Still Life(American Concert 1981)

Standard fare I know and I based on some Derek and the Dominoes, Pete Seeger, The Doors (Strange Days), Otis Redding and about half a dozen others. Why you may ask??
Well the SA decided to hike the price of their albums to $5 a piece!!

At that price I had to make sure my selections were in very good condition. It is one thing to throw a dollar at something hoping it will clean up versus $5. I think at this point I will stick to the GW and other thrifts who selections are not as consistent but are still only a $1.

Anyway it looks like the votes are racking up for at least one song from Kansas. Is there a fav on that besides the obvious radio hits that you all would want?

bobsticks
03-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Anyway it looks like the votes are racking up for at least one song from Kansas. Is there a fav on that besides the obvious radio hits that you all would want?

Hey kid, yer not gettin' it buddy. The point of the thing is the surprise aspect. You send in your choice and we'll send in our selections and, voila!, one big sonic mish-mosh. :)

thekid
03-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Hey kid, yer not gettin' it buddy. The point of the thing is the surprise aspect. You send in your choice and we'll send in our selections and, voila!, one big sonic mish-mosh. :)

Got it now.........:3:

Surprises on their way........ :4:

thekid
03-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Added today.......

A very very good copy of Chicago Transit Authority,
Moody Blues-Days of Future Past
Virgil Fox-Back at the Filmore East

Mr Peabody
03-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Kid, what town do you live in? I haven't found anything in this town's thrift stores in years. You did find some good titles. I don't think I'd pay $5 though. Maybe for the sealed ELO. The last thing I found at the thrift was a sealed copy of Candy Staten, incredible album.

thekid
03-23-2008, 02:34 AM
I am in Va Beach and it has been pretty good pickings lately, mostly at the local SA. However the ones I picked up yesterday were found at some "antique" stores down in NC which I stopped at on my way down to pick up my TF-600's.

I agree with you about the $5. I have paid that much a couple of times but I have decided I will stopping buying at the local SA until they come back down to a $1 unless it is something in very good shape and/or extremely rare. They probably saw how many LP's were going out the door and figured they could jack the price. The really sad part is that they price them all at $5 regardless of condition. The local Goodwill and hospital thrift still sell for $1 but there selection has not been as good. Fortunately with my traveling so much I have taken to finding some of the GW or thrifts in the area I'm at and have been lucky on a couple of titles. My biggest worry is packing them in my luggage and hoping they don't get broke.

Mr Peabody
03-23-2008, 03:40 AM
Who makes the tf600's? Are these speakers? How's are your electronics working out?

thekid
03-23-2008, 05:34 AM
DCM makes the TF series. You can find reviews of the TF-600's on this site. I was unaware of them until I spotted some TF-500's on the local CL which I decided to pick up after becoming curious about them after reading some opinions on the Time Frame line.

The TF-500 had very good imaging and were very impressive. After doing some more digging I was able to purchase a pair of TF-600's for $125. I am not saying they are Hi-Fi speakers but I would say they are mid-fi and match my gear very well. Great speakers for classical, accoustic and light jazz. They are underappreciated IMO which helps keep their price down.

All the other gear is doing well and I will forever be in your debt for getting me started down the road with your help and advice. The Kenwood combo is a killer and the DAC even at the low price point I picked it up as is an improvement over my previous CDP's. I will try and post some photos of the "new" set-up when I get back next week.

thekid
04-13-2008, 03:09 AM
During my trels this weekend I scored the following;

Three Dog Night-Joy to the World-Greates Hits (Hey I loved them when I was a kid..)
The Byrds-Preflyte
The Hollies-Romany
Virgil Fox-In Concert
America
Uriah Heep-Live 1973 (Double record set)
Wings-Band on the Run
Emerson,Lake and Palmer-Pictures at an Exhibition

Nothing unusual except for probably the Virgil Fox disc.
All of them in very good shape and best of all ran me about 75 cents a disc.

Mr Peabody
04-13-2008, 11:16 AM
I like 3DN as well but it seems their albums don't sound that great, sort of muffled or muddy. I really like Uriah Heep.

thekid
04-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Well these are rave recordings because their condition is unbelievable!!
Could probably E-bay 2/3 of them and score $10 a piece based on their conditon. Jackets and sleeves are in very good conditon-to near mint and the vinyl itself is even better!!!
Not a single hint of a scratch or blemish on ANY of them!!

Beatles-Revolver
Beatles-Let It Be
Beatles- The White Album
Allman Bros-Eat A Peach
Allman Bros- At Fillmore East
Tom Waits- Heartattack and Vine
Tom Waits- Nighthawks at the Diner
Tom Waits- Swordfishtrombones
Tom Waits-Closing Time
Tom Waits- The Heart of Saturday Night
Tom Waits-Foreign Affairs
Bob Dylan- Bonde on Blonde
Bob Dylan- Blood on the Tracks
Bob Dylan- Highway 61 Revisted
The Byrds-Greatest Hits
The Byrds- Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Bruce Springsteen- The Wild,The Innocent and The E-Street Shuffle
Bruce Springsteen-Born in the USA
Bruce Springsteen-Greetings From Asbury Park
Bruce Springsteen- The River
Bruce Springsteen- Nebraska
Bruce Springsteen- Darkness on the Edge of Town
Bruce Springsteen- Born to Run
CCR- Willy and the Poor Boys
CCR-Bayou Country
Big Brother & the Holding Company- Cheap Thrills
Big Brother & the Holding Company- Pearl
Big Brother & the Holding Company-Big Brother & the Holding Company-featuring Janis Joplin
Rolling Stones-Beggars Banquet
Carol King-Wrap Around Joy
Animals-The Most of
The Band-Rock of Ages
Procol Harum-Whiter Shade of Pale
Joni Mitchell-Court and Spark
Mammas & Pappas-If you Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears
Van Morrison-Tupelo Honey
Stevie Ray Vaughan-Could'nt Stand the Weather
Rod Stewart-Every Picture Tells A Story
Donovan-The Hurdy Gurdy Man
John Mayhall w/Eric Clapton-Blues Breakers
Buffalo Springfield-Again
Jeff Beck-Blow by Blow
Canned Heat-CookBook
Joe Cocker-With A little Help From My Friends
Simon&Garfunkel-Wed Morning 3am

thekid
06-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Today's haul on a rare day off.....
Several of them were stamped on the cover as promotional records not for resale-Is this unusual or just some meaningless stamp someone put on the cover

Bob Seger-The Distance The cover says property of Capitol Records-Promotional Uses Only
Bob Seger-Against the Wind
Bob Seger-Live Bullet
The Police-Regatta de Blanc
Nilsson-The Point
Stevie Wonder-Songs In the Key of Life
Elton John-Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Marvin Gaye-What's Going On
Blondie-Eat to the Beat
Peter Gabriel-Promotional Single 45 rpm contains Big Time,In Your Eyes and We Do What We Are Told
Falco-Promotional Record

Mr Peabody
06-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Live Bullet, a must for any music lover. If that don't get you movin' some one had better check your pulse.

thekid
06-11-2008, 03:00 AM
Live Bullet, a must for any music lover. If that don't get you movin' some one had better check your pulse.

Yeah and I am little partial to Bob Seger since he is from SE Michigan which is what I consider my ancestral home turf. Despite having lived here in VA for 30+ years I still tell people I am from Michigan.

I think that "Live Bullet" completes my vinyl collection of all the early Bob Seger albums/material.

Swish
06-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Cheers

I think you have us mixed up with Rocky Road. This is Rave Recordings. I realize both can be called RR, so you must have hit the wrong link on your PC. This is the land of Indie hipsters, not classic rock throw-backs with those nasty middle-aged pony tails that can be likened to the dreaded red-neck mullets of yore.

Swishkabob

ForeverAutumn
06-11-2008, 07:33 AM
Several of them were stamped on the cover as promotional records not for resale-Is this unusual or just some meaningless stamp someone put on the cover

I don't buy vinyl but I have come across this on CDs. A couple of years ago I ordered a CD directly from a small indie record label. When the CD arrived, it had "for promotional use only" printed right on the insert. I emailed the company and complained that they were charging me for a promotional CD. The reason that they gave me was that the CD was currently out of print and they only had a few promotional copies left in stock until they reprinted the disk. Then they tried to tell me that this could make the CD more valuable to collecters in the future. Yeah, whatever.

Heywood Djahblomie
06-11-2008, 07:45 AM
I am in Va Beach and it has been pretty good pickings lately, mostly at the local SA. However the ones I picked up yesterday were found at some "antique" stores down in NC which I stopped at on my way down to pick up my TF-600's.

makes sense now

yer not far from two or three Navy bases there

there good for lots of those albums and lots of good gear in pawn shops, cuz they spend there paychecks every time they get one

use to get lots of good blues albums on the cheap that way

Army bases are even better cuz the widows dump everything before going back home

bobsticks
06-11-2008, 07:03 PM
I think you have us mixed up with Rocky Road. This is Rave Recordings. I realize both can be called RR, so you must have hit the wrong link on your PC. This is the land of Indie hipsters, not classic rock throw-backs with those nasty middle-aged pony tails that can be likened to the dreaded red-neck mullets of yore.

Swishkabob

Hey Swishy,

Four months ago when I originally wrote that were seeing alot more of Dave G and reading some posts on the Genesis SACDs. It made sense at the time. And, despite your taking ownership of this here lil' corner of the web we're not always fastidious about sticking solely to the twang. I appreciate your mullings over my entry low these many months just to come up with a mullet joke though.

FWIW, I usually acess Rave Recordings through the AudioReview.com home page rather than going the route of y'all's separatiste movement. If I hit the "RR" link I'll probably end up with jpegs of pitbulls and naked cheerleaders.

Peace

thekid
07-18-2008, 04:38 PM
A pick-ups today all in good to very good + condition

Rickie Lee Jone-Rickie Lee Jones
Fleetwood Mac-Bare Trees
Little Feat-Dixie Chicken
Carole King-Music

thekid
07-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Comedy Binge today......

George Carlin-Occupation Foole
Steve Martin- Lets Get Small
Steve Martin- Comedy Isn't Pretty (with poster)

Mr Peabody
07-20-2008, 07:18 PM
The George Carlin is timely with his recent death. That last haul was pretty good too. I'd like to find a copy of Dixie Chicken. In fact, my Little Fest is lacking all the way around.

thekid
08-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Recent Pick-ups

Bob Seger- Smokin OP's
Led Zepplin-Houses of the Holy
Todd Rundgren- Something/Anything
First Great Rock Festivals of the 70's-Isle of Wight/Atlanta Pop Festival

The last one is an interesting 3-LP compilation with a variety of artists ranging from Leonard Cohen to Jimi Hendrix to Kris Kristofferson and Miles Davis.

Mr Peabody
08-04-2008, 06:42 PM
That's what keeps me going to record shows, there's stuff out there we never knew existed.

It looks like you are getting a pretty full Seger catalog.

thekid
08-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Yeah-I have got pretty much all of Seger's stuff now up through about 1980. I was too young to really be into rock at the time but my older brother remembers that you could catch Seger shows regularly in SE MI back in 68 for about $1.25.

Have not had a chance to cue it up but kind of interested in hearing his version of "Love the One your With" that is on "Smokin OP's"

Smokey
08-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Recent Pick-ups

Bob Seger- Smokin OP's
Led Zepplin-Houses of the Holy
Todd Rundgren- Something/Anything
First Great Rock Festivals of the 70's-Isle of Wight/Atlanta Pop Festival

I have Todd Rundgren- Something/Anything on LP which I came cross back in early 90's. It was on Rolling Stone magazine greatest album list, and include my favorite song Hello Its Me :)

thekid
08-05-2008, 01:56 AM
I have Todd Rundgren- Something/Anything on LP which I came cross back in early 90's. It was on Rolling Stone magazine greatest album list, and include my favorite song Hello Its Me :)

I got into TR after listening to the "Hermit of Mink Hollow". A very under appreciated singer/songwriter IMO. Got a CD of his "Greatest Hits" put out by Rhino a few years back and it is one I find pulling out of the rack often enough. "Hello it's Me" is a great song and one of my favs as well.

I did not really get it when a few years back he was going to replace Ric Ocasek and tour with the "New Cars". Other than the somewhat physical resemblance to Ocasek I would not put TR's music in the same neighborhood as "The Cars".

thekid
08-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Today's score at the local SA;

Dire Straits-Making Movies
Ramones-Rocket to Russia
Joe Jackson-Body and Soul
Chicago- ?? single record from 73 cover is blue scroll work on a white background some type of compilation LP I am guessing
Supertramp-Breakfast In America (Had a copy but this jacket is in great condition)

Also picked up a Kenwood Power Amp KM-209 across the street.

Mr Peabody
08-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Making Movies is a great album. It doesn't seem as well engineered as some of the other Dire Straits albums though. Can't go wrong with the Ramones either.

thekid
08-17-2008, 01:06 AM
Making Movies is a great album. It doesn't seem as well engineered as some of the other Dire Straits albums though. Can't go wrong with the Ramones either.

Thanx Mr.P

BTW- Since you steered me straight on the Kenwood Basic Series, do you know anything about the Kenwood KM-209 that I picked up? From what I have seen it is 150 wpc and is probably early-late 80's

Mr Peabody
08-17-2008, 04:54 AM
The "KM" leads me to think the 209 was part of a rack system and isn't nearly the amp the M1 is. If you put the 209 in the M1's place this will be evident.

thekid
08-17-2008, 02:12 PM
The "KM" leads me to think the 209 was part of a rack system and isn't nearly the amp the M1 is. If you put the 209 in the M1's place this will be evident.

Thanks! I was kind of thinking the same thing since the pre-amp for it like a number down from it or something which leads me to believe they were part of a set/rack. It is a beast though-weighs as much or more than the Basic. I'll try to post pics in General Audio when I get a chance.

Auricauricle
08-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Yeah, if you can pick up some of the earlier Dire Straits, you'd be cooking....Like the debut album and Communique....

Mr Peabody
08-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Interesting, I sure wouldn't have thought a rack system amp would have been that rugged. You'll have to let me know how it sounds.

thekid
08-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Today's pick-ups.....

Led Zeppelin III
Sweet-Desolation Boulevard
John Lennon-The John Lennon Collection
The Kinks-State of Confusion
The Kinks-Think Visual
Jefferson Airplane-Bark
The Who-Who's Next
Joe Jackson-Blaze of Glory
The Clash-London Calling
The Doors-Waiting for the Sun
The Doors-LA Woman
Moody Blues- Long Distance Voyager
Elvis Costello-Punch the Clock
Crosby,Stills,Nash and Young-So Far
The B-52's-The B-52's
The B-52's-Mesoptamia
David Bowie-Let's Dance
Wings-Wings over America
10,000 Maniacs-Blind Man's Zoo

3-LockBox
08-30-2008, 12:06 PM
What kind of condition is that Wings Over America LP?

thekid
08-30-2008, 01:58 PM
What kind of condition is that Wings Over America LP?

The discs themselves are in good condition,the album sleeve is a bit frayed.

Mr Peabody
08-30-2008, 09:03 PM
A pretty good haul of quality titles.

thekid
08-31-2008, 03:53 AM
A pretty good haul of quality titles.

It was an interesting set of racks. Mostly 80's stuff but at levels on some groups I never knew put out that many albums. There were at least 6 Boomtown Rats LP's, as well as I think every, Culture Club,Motels, Soft Cell and Human League LP ever made. I even passed on Dexie's Midnight Runner containing their 1 hit "Come on Eileen" though I was sorely tempted just because that one song is so damn infectious......

Mr Peabody
08-31-2008, 11:20 AM
I've got one BTR album. It has their most recognized song Tell Me Why I Don't Like Mondays. I sure didn't know they had that many albums either. I'd like to get some Motels or Quarterflash. I didn't buy much of that 80's stuff but for cheap on vinyl would be a great way to pick it up.

thekid
08-31-2008, 02:59 PM
I became familiar with the one BTR song you mention on a copy of the "Secret Policeman's Ball" that I recorded on college. I'd love to find a copy of that in a bin somewhere......

thekid
09-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Visiting my daughter at college in Richmond Va and she found me an amazing little record store. Thrift store prices but good clean vinyl. Looks like they clean them before putting them on the shelve. was pressed for time so only picked up a few things but my daughter promised me she will do all of her X-mas shopping there for me....... :D

Picked up;

Genesis-3 sides Live
Genesis-Wind and Wuthering
Emerson,Lake and Palmer-Trilogy
Eagles-Live
Doobie Bros-The Captain and Me
Bruce Cockburn-World of Wonder
Bruce Cockburn-Inner City Front

Mr Peabody
09-07-2008, 08:09 PM
I went to a record show today and picked up a few vinyls. Off the top of my head:

Jean Luc Ponty
Brand X
Styx II
Marshall Tucker Live
Jethro Tull, Minstrel in the Gallery
Roger Daltry, Under A Raging Moon, this one was sealed.
Rockets, the album with their version of Oh Well
Rockpile
Thomas Dobie, Blinded Me With Science. Impulse purchase, I don't know if this song was released on a full length album but the album I found only had five songs on it.

thekid
09-08-2008, 01:38 AM
Mr.P

Nice pick-ups. I am not too ashamed to admit I like a few of Thomas Dolby's songs my self. I remember listening to one of his albums on one those new fangled things called a CD back in college that one of my better off friends had recently purchased. Can't remember the title, but some very infectious tunes.

thekid
09-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Today's pickins.....

Yes-Fragile
Moody Blues-A Question of Balance

thekid
10-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Today's score was a bit fortuitous given the recent passing of Rick Wright.

Obscured by Clouds-Pink Floyd
Blood Seat and Tears 3
Windham Hills Sampler- 1984 ( featured artists; Michael Hedge,Mark Isham, William Ackerman,George Winston,Shadowfax,Alex de Grassi,Scott Cossu, Billy Oskay and Michael O Domhnail)

Mr Peabody
10-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Can't believe you found some Floyd in the bin. The Windham Hills should have exceptional sound quality.

thekid
10-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Can't believe you found some Floyd in the bin. The Windham Hills should have exceptional sound quality.

Well it is not your normal Floyd LP. It is the the sound track from a French film they did back in 72. Have not cued it up but I figured it is a bit of a rarity.

I always pick up any Windham Hill sampler I can get my hands on. They are always in great shape - no nicks or scratches and come with that plastic sleeve that protects the record well.

emesbee
10-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Well it is not your normal Floyd LP. It is the the sound track from a French film they did back in 72. Have not cued it up but I figured it is a bit of a rarity.

I always pick up any Windham Hill sampler I can get my hands on. They are always in great shape - no nicks or scratches and come with that plastic sleeve that protects the record well.

Obscured by Clouds was the album Pink Floyd recorded after Meddle. As you say, it was a soundtrack to a movie, which was called La Vallee. (I've seen the movie by the way, don't bother.) The album is not exactly a rarity, its quite readily available. Its quite a good album, actually (but the film is quite forgettable). Some good tracks on it, David Gilmour still plays some of them in his concerts.

thekid
11-16-2008, 12:14 PM
The local thrift jacked their LP price up to $1.98 but still managed to find a couple of interesting LP's

Mongrel-The Bob Seger System * It was his 3rd Album before some solo LP's and the Silver Bullet Band.

Wild Life- Paul McCartney * Some consider this a solo album some say it is a Wings album.

Both LP's show some considerable wear but are rare enough that I thought it was worth a couple of bucks...... :)

Also picked up Foxtrot by Genesis on CD.

Mr Peabody
11-16-2008, 02:57 PM
$1.98 still isn't bad. Many stores that still carry vinyl used or otherwise have woken up to realize the stuff is selling again and jacking up prices. That would be interesting to see what that old Seger sounded like.

I just bought one of those album racks from www.amusicdirect.com . They are supposed to be pretty good and should be for the price, even at a close out it wasn't cheap. I haven't got it together yet to comment. You can get a MD-300 that hold about 600 lp's for
$399.00 after $100.00 discount. You'll have to read about it to see why it's that high. I always wanted one so I felt I better get one while they still had them. I bouth an extra shelf to make it hold 900. I probably have that many. I have an old wood bookshelf thing holding my albums now and it's almost full. I have a bunch of vinyl laying around in bunches I have to go through to see what is worth keeping both in quality and in content. Too bad you didn't live closer I also have a bunch I need to sell or trade. I have been shipping them to a store that puts them on consignment for me. Then I use the money to buy more music :) .

blackraven
11-16-2008, 06:09 PM
I picked up these 2 XRCD's Doug MaCleod-COME TO FIND
http://www.eastwindimport.com/album-details.asp?CategoryName=Search+Results&SearchGeneral=DOUG+MACLEOD&PG=1&ProductID=560

If you like acoustic Blue's, check him out! The recording is pristine as are most XRCD's. It was well worth the money.

and

BEST OF AUDIOPHILE VOICES

http://www.eastwindimport.com/album-details.asp?CategoryName=Search+Results&SearchGeneral=BEST+AUDIOPHILE+VOICES&PG=1&ProductID=559

thekid
11-16-2008, 06:28 PM
$1.98 still isn't bad. Many stores that still carry vinyl used or otherwise have woken up to realize the stuff is selling again and jacking up prices. That would be interesting to see what that old Seger sounded like.

I just bought one of those album racks from www.amusicdirect.com . They are supposed to be pretty good and should be for the price, even at a close out it wasn't cheap. I haven't got it together yet to comment. You can get a MD-300 that hold about 600 lp's for
$399.00 after $100.00 discount. You'll have to read about it to see why it's that high. I always wanted one so I felt I better get one while they still had them. I bouth an extra shelf to make it hold 900. I probably have that many. I have an old wood bookshelf thing holding my albums now and it's almost full. I have a bunch of vinyl laying around in bunches I have to go through to see what is worth keeping both in quality and in content. Too bad you didn't live closer I also have a bunch I need to sell or trade. I have been shipping them to a store that puts them on consignment for me. Then I use the money to buy more music :) .

I should not complain about the price since it does go to charity. I have been looking for old bookshelves to store the LP's since I am coming up on 200 of them. Not sure the wife would go for a $400 audio rack but the wicker baskets there in now just ain't cutting it.

I travel all over the country so maybe next year I can take some of those LP's of your hands......... :22:

thekid
12-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Picked up the follow while on the road this week

Windham Hill- 86 Sampler
National Lampoon's-Gold Turkey
Thomas Dolby- Flat Earth

thekid
12-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Not a bad day today at the local GW;

Heart -Bebe Le Strange
Rod Stewart-Smiler
CCR-Mardi Gras
Patti Smith Group-Wave
Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul-Men Without Women
Souther/Hillman/Furay- Self Titled
Linda Ronstadt-Heart Like A Wheel
Genesis-Invisible Touch
Tommy Tutone- (Sue me.. I love 867-5309/Jenny every now and then)
The Marshall Tucker Band-Carolina Dreams

Mr Peabody
12-20-2008, 09:51 PM
That's always a good way to pick up those 80's one hitters for cheap. And, you never know if there might be another song on the album worth a listen.

thekid
12-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Well my older brother went up to his attic and pulled some vinyl for me for X-mas

8 to the Bar- Pete Johnson and Albert Ammons
Jazz Sampler-Jazztone Records
Sugar Blues-Clyde McCoy
The Fabulous Bird-Charlie Parker
Chicago Style
The Count's Men featuring Joe Newman
Barrellhouse and Blues-Sam Price
Swinging with Ruby Braff

Fantasia-Leopold Stokowski with the Philadelphia Orchestra (On Vista Records and contains book/drawings from the film)
Lyndon Johnson's Lonely Hearts Band- Earle Doud and Alen Robin
Lord of the Rings-Bo Hansson
Beethoven Edition-Deutsche Grammophon
J. Brahms The Four Symphonies-Herbert Von Karajan & Berlin Orchestra
Beethoven Complete 9 Symphonies-Josef Krips and the London Symphony Orhestra

I am not a big Jazz fan but we will see what we have. I am looking forward to the Classical records.

thekid
05-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Its been awhile since I dragged out this thread. I have been collecting some of the usual 70's early 80's stuff since last post but thought I'd mention a couple of classical collections I picked up today. Scored a MHS recording by I Solisti Veneti of Vivaldi's L'estro armonico, OP. 3 and Mahler's Nine Symphonies on Murray Hill Records. All are in excellent to very good condition and it only cost $6.50.... :D

Mr Peabody
05-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Although I'm still into vinyl I tend to take after Feanor on Classical where CD I feel is a better medium. Too many places where there is supposed to be silence. It's rare to find vinyl quiet enough.

I went to a record show yesterday. Picked up a pretty good bunch of LP's for a $1.00. Here's what I remember:

Triumvarit - Spartacus
Planet P - The one with Why Me
A couple Motels
Roy Orbison - double LP best of collection
Gary Wright - Dream Weaver , can you believe I've never had this before?
Fixx - ?
Mama's Pride - I actually had to pay $4.00 for this but it's a rare title
CD's
I bought about 4 discs that you'd call World Music I guess. It was a variety of things from African artists.
Buddy Guy - Damn Right I Got The Blues
Johnny Winter - Bluesman, from 2004, it doesn't sound like he does his own vocals on this album and I'm not crazy about the guy who does. His voice is alright but don't seem to go with Blues. The copy I have is a promo so I didn't find a run down of who plays or does vocals.
Megadeth - Cryptic Writings

02audionoob
05-04-2009, 07:29 PM
I spent $6 on Sunday for:

Frida - Something's Going On
Carole King - Simple Things
Eydie Gorme - Greatest Hits
Julie London - self-titled 1964 album
Julie London - The End of the World
Beethoven Symphony No. 3, which is old enough that on the liner they explain what stereophonic sound is

Mr Peabody
05-04-2009, 08:12 PM
I've got that Frida album. Did you know Phil Collins does the drums? It's been so long since I've listened to it I can't remember if the rest of the album is notable. I'm thinking probably not so much or I would have a mental note back there some where :)

thekid
05-05-2009, 02:53 AM
Nice pick ups guys!

I think "Dream Weaver" or another song on that LPmight have been the first R&R to go #1 that did not have a guitar on the track but I can't rememeber for sure.

I generally agree with you on Classical CD's but most of the time when I come across something that interests me I find the records are in very good shape with little to no popping or scratchiness. Also by using the Vinyl Restoration software I can burn a CD off of the the vinyl that is very near CD quality. Its a good way to get some of these older boxed set recordings that they want to charge a fortune on as a CD set

thekid
05-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Went to pick my daughter up from college today and stopped by my fav record store in town while I was there. They were having a Sidewalk sale with many LP's going for as cheap as 25 cents. picked up a variety of titles;

Billie Holliday-Lady in Satin
Bob Dylan-Slow Train Coming
The Kinks-One for the Road
Joe Jackson-Look Sharp
Joe Jackson- Jumpin Jive
Nicollette Larson-Nicollette
Judy Collins- Whales and Nightingales
the Fixx- Shuttered Room
ELO- Face the Music
Orleans-Before the Dance
Pablo Cruise- A Place in the Sun
Blood,Sweat and Tears- Blood,Sweat and Tears (have a copy but basically bought a new cover for a quarter...)
3 Dog Night-Golden Bisquits
The Dream Academy-The Dream Academy

Barely broke a $20 so not a bad day........ :)

Mr Peabody
05-09-2009, 02:42 PM
The price was right. At that price you can even take a chance on something you aren't familiar with.

thekid
05-09-2009, 03:08 PM
The price was right. At that price you can even take a chance on something you aren't familiar with.

Yeah about 3-4 of theose were in that category. Not too familiar with Orleans except for their 1-2 hits on Top 40 so picking up a double record set seemed interesting. I probably could have got a few more but my kids did not want to watch me pick thru 8 boxes of LP's.
This is great place though to get vinyl and my son and I always make it a point to stop by when we go to Richmond. Used LP's go anywhere from a $1 to $15 depending on the artist and the rarity of the record.

Kevio
05-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Also by using the Vinyl Restoration software I can burn a CD off of the the vinyl that is very near CD quality. Its a good way to get some of these older boxed set recordings that they want to charge a fortune on as a CD setIs this because you're cheap or because you think an LP through CD through restoration software sounds better than a CD?

thekid
05-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Is this because you're cheap or because you think an LP through CD through restoration software sounds better than a CD?

Budget is a factor. As Mr.P stated in his post above the price allows me to try some LP's that I might not otherwise pick-up. I am a bit of a novice when it comes to Classical but generally like Vivaldi so for $3.25 the price was right. As for the LP copied onto a CD the sound is very good and makes the music more portable and I have the best of both worlds depending on what I want to listen to on my system.

thekid
06-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Picked up a few interesting LP's today;

Delaney and Bonnie &Friends On Tour w/ Eric Clapton
Kinks - The Kinks Kontroversy
Rolling Stones - Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)

The Kinks and the Stones LP's were a little worn but should be okay with a little clean up. The D&B cover and LP are in very good shape.

thekid
06-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Today's Garage sale finds.....

Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes- This time it's for real
John Mayall- Memories
Bob Dylan- Desire
Graham Nash- Wild Tales
Supertramp-Crisis? What Crisis?
Nat King Cole-The Greatest of Nat King Cole
George Harrison-George Harrison

Also picked up a Dual 622 just in case I need another TT to play them on..... :)

Mr Peabody
06-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Nice score on the TT

thekid
06-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Nice score on the TT

Thanks Mr.P

As with some of the other gear I did not need it especially since I have not even figured out what to do with the Marantz I picked up last weekend. But since it was a Dual in good shape and has a Ortofon stylus i figured it was worth the $20 I paid.

captjamo
06-23-2009, 03:35 AM
:thumbsup: Favorite CD right now is Rodrigo Y Gabriela titled the same. This guy and girl are unbelievably talented guitarists having developed sophisticated intricate stylings that complement each other. This CD is very percussive but it is all done on top of their flat top guitars or on the stage floor with their feet. Truly amazing recording quality too. Don't take my word for it; preview them on you tube. This CD makes my system shine beter than any other. Their version of Stairway to Heaven is amazing but so is every track they play. Personal favorite, Orion.

thekid
06-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Picked up a copy of the first Tom Lehrer LP for my son for $2. Based on the album jacket this is the 4th printing but still dates from 1953.

http://dmdb.org/discographies/lehrer.disco.html

thekid
07-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Today's finds;

Genesis-Selling England By the Pound
Copland-Copland Conducts Copland
Windham Hill-Love
Windham Hill-Sampler 1988
Stephen Stills-Stephen Stills 2
Frank Sinatra-A Man Alone
Weather Report-Night Passage
Weather Report-Heavy Weather
Los Lobos-How Will the Wolf Survive
Lindsay Buckingham-Law and Order
3 Dog night-Suitable for Framing
Sarah Vaughan-Sara Vaughan (Allegro/Elite)
Greg Lake-Greg Lake (Unopened)
Chicago Transit Authority- Live in Concert
Talking Heads- More Songs about Buildings and Food
Talking Heads-Speaking in Tongues
R.E.M.-Lifes Rich Pageant
Dire Straits-Dire Straits
Mahvishnu Orchestra-Apocalypse
Asia-Alpha

Not bad stuff for $1 a piece.......
Thomas Dolby- Blinded by Science
Various Artists-Concerts for Kampuchea

thekid
07-11-2009, 01:45 PM
A CL garage sale ad mentioned over a thousand LP's for $1 each. So my son and I go over and the ad was dead on. There was over 20 boxes with 50+ LPs in each box. I pulled what we liked and my son checked their condition but it still took us over an hour to go through them. A lot of standards that I did not have, a few I had but were in better shape and a few I thought I'd take a chance on since they were only a dollar. Ended up with 41 and as I am leaving I the owner and I start talking about music and I mention my son likes Sinatra and so he reaches in a box and pulls out a stack and says here are some free ones since any kid who likes Sinatra is okay by him. Here is the the very long list and a photo......

Allman Brothers-Brothers of the Road
Beach Boys-Endless Summer
Jeff Beck-The Jeff Beck Group
Harry Belafonte-Jump Up Calypso
Buffalo Springfield-Buffalo Springfield
Canned Heat- Living the Blues
Johnny Cash-Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison
Eric Clapton- Backless
Elvis Costello-Taking Liberties
Devo-Freedom of Choice
Doobie Bros- Toulouse Street
Donavan-Wear your Love like Heaven
Emerson, Lake and Palmer- Works Vol I
Free-Highway
Grease Band- Grease Band
Heart-Magazine
The Jimi Hendrix Experience-Are You Experienced
Humble Pie-Rockin the Fillmmore
Humble Pie-Eat It
JJ Cale-Troubadour
Janis Joplin-I Got Dem Ol'Kozmic Blues Again Mama
Led Zepplin-II
Led Zepplin-III
John Mayall-The Turning Point
Don McLean-Believers
Don McLean- Tapestry
Queen-A Night at the Opera
Queen- The Game
Queen- News of the World
Rocky Horror Picture Show Soundtrack
Rolling Stones- Through the Past Darkly
Runt-Runt
Seldom Scene-Now Appearing The Seldom Scene
Frank Sinatra-The Great Hits
Frank Sinatra-Strangers in the Night
Frank Sinatra-That's Life
Frank Sinatra-Songs For Young Lovers
Frank Sinatra-The Movie Songs
Frank Sinatra-Days of Wine and Roses
Frank Sinatra-Forever Frank
Frank Sinatra-The Select Cole Porter
Frank Sinatra- Frank Sinatra
Spirit-The Best of Spirit
Steely Dan-Gaucho
Steely Dan-Can't Buy a Thrill
Cat Stevens-Mona Bone Jakon
Stephen Stills-Manassas
Wings-Wings Over America
Neil Young-After the Gold Rush
George Winston-Autumn
Midnight Cowboy-Original Soundtrack
Mark Isham-Vapor Drawings

:D :D :D :D :D

Mr Peabody
07-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Pretty good haul of some classic titles.

thekid
08-09-2009, 03:13 AM
This weekend's haul

Joan Baez-The Joan Baez Ballad Book
Buffalo Springfield-Last Time Around
Buffalo Springfield-Retrospective
The Hollies-Greatest Hits
The Moody Blues- Moody Blues Caught Live + 5
Mott The Hoople- All the Young Dudes
Poco-Seven
Bonnie Raitt-Takin My Time
Paul Simon-Live Rhymin
Simon&Garfunkel-The Concert in Central Park
Nancy Sinatra-Boots (for my daughter)
James Taylor-One man Dog
James Taylor and the Original Flying Machine-1967

Mr Peabody
08-09-2009, 01:29 PM
I would be interesting to hear what young JT sounded like in 67. Is it Folky?

thekid
08-22-2009, 02:30 PM
I would be interesting to hear what young JT sounded like in 67. Is it Folky?

Actually Mr. P after doing a little research it seems the LP dates from the early 70's. Pretty much it is just JT and Danny Kortchmar.

Today's thrift pick-ups......

Eric Clapton-Slowhand
Johnny Cash -Ring of Fire The Best of Johnny Cash
Johnny Cash- The Fabulous Johnny Cash
Johnny Cash-Orange Blossom Special
Johnny Cash- I Walk the Line
Pete Seeger- We Shall Over Come (Recorded Live at Carnegie Hall June 1963)
Frank Sinatra- September of My Years
Chuck Berry- Greatest Hits (Chess Records)
Santana-Abraxas
American Roots Songbook- The Blues (CD)
Billie Holiday- Lady in Satin (Digitalky Remastered CD)

thekid
08-29-2009, 01:11 AM
Last week's thrift store and Plan 9 haul

Neil Young& Crazy Horse-Life
Neil Young-Old Ways
Neil Young-Comes a Time
Neil Young and the BlueNotes- This Notes for you
Neil Young-Trans
Stephen Stills-Thoroughfare Gap
CSN- PlayReplay
Jonathan Edwards-Sailboat
The Temptations-Greatest Hits
Baroque Music For French Horn and Orchestra-James Stagliano&Arthur Berv

Mr Peabody
08-29-2009, 07:30 AM
Man, who would get rid of their NY collection. I imagine some good stuff on the JC as well.

thekid
08-29-2009, 08:32 AM
Man, who would get rid of their NY collection. I imagine some good stuff on the JC as well.

Yeah I was pretty amazed they were not scooped up. I paid an average of about $3 a record as well and the discs themselves are all in good to very good condition. Granted alot of those NY titles are from the Geffen period when he was pretty miserable with the record company but Neil on a bad day is still better than most out there on their best day.

My son has become a big JC fan and it was kind of funny because the thrift we found them in I had to drag him into because he said that thrift "only has Andy Williams cr*p". I did not list it but we even found a better copy of JC "Live at San Quentin" than the one we had.

poppachubby
08-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Hey kid, just from this thread alone it appears that you have scored hundreds of great albums. What do you do with them all? Personal collection? If so, how do you house them/file them. I am a vinyl junky myself. One of my best scores was a mint condition ( still wrapped) Allman Brothers live at the Fillmore East. Got it at a local Goodwill, imagine my surprise...for me that's the addiction, never know if the next haul will have that gem.

thekid
09-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Poppa

Right now they are be in stored in several large wicker baskets in my recording area. for convience and to keep the wife happy I am in the processing of recording them onto CD which I am sure drives the purists up the wall. Once I have finished that task a few dozen select titles will be kept in a few baskets near my regular 2-channel set-up. The rest will be stored on shelves up in a spare closet so they are close at hand.

Congrats on your score! The GW, Salvation Army stores and garage sales have been a great source for vinyl over the last couple of years. Yes you have to paw through more than a few copies of Andy Williams and Barry Manilow but then you come across something worthy and you go home happy.

Mr Peabody
09-01-2009, 05:33 PM
www.amusicdirect.com used to sell these great album racks and they were expandable. I'm not sure if they still have them or not. The only draw back they were mighty expensive. I bought one though because my shelf my brother built for me while in high school is now pretty much full. Another nice feature of this rack is it's on rollers so if you have to stash the LP's in a closet or other room you can just roll them out when you want them.

thekid
09-02-2009, 03:19 AM
Mr.P

I will have to check them out and see. The wicker baskets were a compromise solution and certainly better than the old milk crates option. I am up around 400 lp's so cost is a consideration as well as ease of use.

thekid
09-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Today's pick-ups.....

B-52's- Bouncing off the Satellities

CD's

Bee Gees- Best of the Bee Gees Vol.1 (all early stuff pre "Saturday Night Fever)
Toad the Wet Sprocket-Fear
Grand Funk Railroad-collector Series
ELO-Burning Bright
Ramones- Ramones Mania

Mr Peabody
09-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Was that Grand Funk the 3 disc collection? If so, that's a good one. I like Grand Funk but to appreciate them you have to dig deeper than there radio hits. Things like Inside Looking Out and one of my favorites Paranoid, no not the Black Sabbath song at all. And what's the name of that song off the Survival album where the beginning of the song starts with these kids giving their thoughts on God? Man, is that a great classic song. I could care less if I ever hear American Band again in my life time.

thekid
09-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Sorry to say but no. It is just a single disc kind of like a greatest hits compilation. Contains the following;

Time Machine
Heartbreaker
Inside looking out
Closer to Home/I'm your Captain
Mean Mistreater
Feelin Alright
Gimme Shelter
Footstompin Music
Rock and roll soul
We're an American Band
Walk Like A Man
The Loco-motion
Shinin on
Some Kind of Wonderful
Bad time

Have a bit of a soft spot for them since like Bob Seger they are from my neck of the woods in Michigan. Their name is actually a play on words of an actual rail line that runs through the thumb called the Grand Trunk RR.

Mr Peabody
09-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Still a pretty good list. I forgot to mention Closer to Home.

Luvin Da Blues
09-05-2009, 03:44 PM
...............And what's the name of that song off the Survival album where the beginning of the song starts with these kids giving their thoughts on God? Man, is that a great classic song..............

I'm sure you're thinking "I Can Feel Him In The Morning"?

Mr Peabody
09-05-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm sure you're thinking "I Can Feel Him In The Morning"?

That's the one! I've got that on vinyl, I believe I also have Closer To Home and the self titled red cover album. I had to buy the CD of the red album and I have the 3 disc collection. I should also have the live LP. Heck, I guess I should go take inventory :)

Luvin Da Blues
09-05-2009, 04:49 PM
That's the one! I've got that on vinyl, I believe I also have Closer To Home and the self titled red cover album. I had to buy the CD of the red album and I have the 3 disc collection. I should also have the live LP. Heck, I guess I should go take inventory :)

Strip way some of the radio hits from some of the bands from 'back in the day' (GF, Steppenwolf, Bad Company, Ten Years After etc.) and you'll find some pretty decent music.

poppachubby
09-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Snagged James Brown, Live and Lowdown at the Apollo and Burning Spear, Marcus Garvey today at a great yard sale...

Mr Peabody
09-13-2009, 02:38 PM
I just got back from the almost quarterly record show. Here's what i can remember off the top of my head:

LP's
Headboys
Tycoon
Jeff Beck live with Jam Hammer Band, I can't wait to spin this
Shoot
The Monkees, Best of
A sealed copy of Commander Coty I've not heard of but sealed and $2.00 I'll take a chance. I like the disc I have with Hot Rod Lincoln, so this might be alright.
Plus my friend brought me a box of vinyl he didn't want because he transferred them to CD. He's into mostly oldies and stuff I've never heard of but that's fun to put on something you've never heard of and see if it's good or not. One thing I pulled out already to spin is a Jim Stafford LP with all his hits, Spider & Snakes, Wildwood Weed and My Girl Bill which are the only ones I'm familiar with that I know of.

CD's
Cranberries, the one with Zombie
Smashing Pumpkins, Greatest Hits, a few songs I don't have already is on this.
Counting Crows, Greatest
Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iomi, I think this may be called Seventh Sign. Not a very well known Sabbath album but I remember I liked it. I believe it came out aroun 1985 or so.
Redbone, Classics

Not my largest haul but a few new tunes to get me by :)

thekid
09-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Some nice pick-ups there Mr.P!

Redbone is ringing a bell......were'nt they a band of Native Americans but were marketed as a Latino or Lating flavored band?? I maybe confusing them with someone else though....

Mr Peabody
09-14-2009, 03:49 PM
I don't know a lot about them except you are correct about them being American Indian. The biggest hit I'm aware of is the 70's song Come And Get Your Love. I haven't listened to it through yet but a scan tells me there's some..... let's just say interesting music on there.

The Henry Lee Summers album is pretty good. It has good sound quality as well. If you are familiar with Tycoon, Such A Woman, in my opinion, the only song worth listening to there. I was real disappointed in the Commander Coty, sucked out loud, it wasn't like prior stuff I've heard from him, it was like he was trying to do a very poor job of sounding like Dr. Hook.

thekid
09-15-2009, 04:22 AM
Well my memory is not completely gone then........ :)
I confess to not knowing much about Commander Cody other than "Hot Rod Lincoln" but I know some people who are big fans and claim that there is a somewhat large cult following for the CC. Maybe I will take a shot at a couple of these tites if I see them in the $1 bin....

Thanks

Luvin Da Blues
09-15-2009, 04:29 AM
I don't know a lot about them except you are correct about them being American Indian. The biggest hit I'm aware of is the 70's song Come And Get Your Love.

Don't forget the forgettable 'The Witch Queen of New Orleans'

Mr Peabody
09-15-2009, 05:38 AM
The Commander Coty and the Flying Airmen with Hot Rod Lincoln is a good album if you like over the top Country. It's a good album with fiddle and steel guitar but it's so Country I wonder if it's supposed to be a parity :) Great songs like Lost In The Ozone Again.

thekid
09-19-2009, 08:29 AM
Today's garage sale/thrift haul....

Hot Tuna-Hot Tuna First Pull Up and then Pull down
Emerson,Lake and Palmer-Works Volume 2
Eric Clapton-History of Eric Clapton
Cat Stevens-Catch a Bull at Four
Gene Pitney-Greatest Hits
Paul McCartney-McCartney II
Poco- Rose of Cimmaron
Art Garfunkel-Angel Clare

picked up a few other titles that I already but were in better shape. also came a across a Duane Allman Anthology on Capricorn Records but the seller would not sell the records individually and I was not going to buy 30 Andy Williams and assorted other junk title for one good LP.

Mr Peabody
09-19-2009, 03:07 PM
What a jerk, one album out of the box wouldn't have made any difference. Spin that Hot Tuna, good band I feel under rated, maybe because they never charted or something. Good old boogie Rock.

thekid
09-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Stopped by some thrifts and scored the following for about $3

Bob Dylan-Hard Rain
Neil Young-Everybody Knows This is Nowhere (2nd copy)
Steve Winwood-Steve Winwood
George Thorogood and the Destroyers-Move it on over

Luvin Da Blues
09-24-2009, 06:37 PM
What a jerk, one album out of the box wouldn't have made any difference. Spin that Hot Tuna, good band I feel under rated, maybe because they never charted or something. Good old boogie Rock.

I like your thinking. This is my fav HT.

thekid
09-26-2009, 11:45 AM
No vinyl today but some good CD's

Bruce Springsteen- Live 75-85 (All 3 discs for $3 :D )
Genesis-We Can't Dance
George Winston-Summer
Frank Sinatra-Classic Duets

poppachubby
09-27-2009, 02:40 AM
Aynone heard any Brothers Johnson? I have an opportunity to scoop up 2 or 3 of their records. They're produced by Quincy Jones so they must be good. I will Google but would like some input.

thekid
09-27-2009, 03:19 AM
I once won a local radio station "Name the Song" contest by naming "Strawberry Letter 23" in about 3 seconds. That tune and "I'll Be Good to You" are about their only songs that I could think of theirs off top of my head. If their other stuff is a good and as funky as "Strawberry Letter 23" they might be worth a closer listen.

poppachubby
09-27-2009, 03:51 AM
Thanks kid! I did some reading, I guess the bass playing brother cut all the bass tracks for Thriller. That alone is enough for me. And of course, your fond memories, lol. I tried to capture this record in a photo but it's tough. Aerosmith Toys in the Attic. The cover is probably good condition at best,but the vinyl looks like its NEVER been played. I see no evidence of a stylus ever touching it. I got it at the same yard sale the Bro Jo albums were.

Apparently he has a stash of "good stuff". We'll see, he doesn't seem like the type who thinks he has a gem with a beat up copy of the White Album.

thekid
09-27-2009, 04:31 AM
Nice pick-ups.
I e-mailed a guy on CL this morning that claims to have over a 1,000 LP's he is willing to sell at a $1 a piece so we will see what that brings.

poppachubby
09-27-2009, 05:26 AM
Nice pick-ups.
I e-mailed a guy on CL this morning that claims to have over a 1,000 LP's he is willing to sell at a $1 a piece so we will see what that brings.

Motherload indeed, that will require several days of review. Probably alot of doubles for a guy with your collection. Will you buy doubles or no? $1 a piece in the comfort of a guys house is ideal. Hope it works out...

Mr Peabody
09-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Although Aerosmith hasn't done much in a while to get me excited I never get tired of Toys In The Attic, a definite classic.

Let's hope the guy didn't inherit his grandpa's records and have a bunch of Lawrence Welk and Johnny Mathis :) Well..... the Kid has listed stuff close to that genre :) Variety, is, the spice of life.

poppachubby
09-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Although Aerosmith hasn't done much in a while to get me excited I never get tired of Toys In The Attic, a definite classic.

Let's hope the guy didn't inherit his grandpa's records and have a bunch of Lawrence Welk and Johnny Mathis :) Well..... the Kid has listed stuff close to that genre :) Variety, is, the spice of life.

Yep, back when they were a cutting edge rock band, now they are a bunch of crooners. Wankers for sure!

02audionoob
09-27-2009, 04:54 PM
I tend to think of The Brothers Johnson as a flash in the pan...about one song away from being a one-hit wonder. Others may see it differently, obviously. I like them, though.

I hit a garage sale yesterday with what they say was 18,000 records. All LP's were a dollar each. I ignored the 78's and 45's and flipped through the LP's at a rate of about one per second, I think. I was there for 2-1/2 hours and came away with 40 records...jazz, jazz vocal, big band, classical, folk. No acid rock, no hair bands. Perhaps another day.

thekid
09-27-2009, 04:56 PM

Ouch!!!!!- Mr.P

Visited my favorite record store on visit to my daughter and picked up the following "crooners".....

The Yardbirds-Greatest Hits
Poco-Deliverin
Poco-A Good Feelin To Know
Genesis-Seconds Out
Peter Gabriel-Peter Gabriel

Not too bad for $5 IMO

poppachubby
09-27-2009, 05:06 PM
I tend to think of The Brothers Johnson as a flash in the pan...about one song away from being a one-hit wonder. Others may see it differently, obviously. I like them, though.

I hit a garage sale yesterday with what they say was 18,000 records. All LP's were a dollar each. I ignored the 78's and 45's and flipped through the LP's at a rate of about one per second, I think. I was there for 2-1/2 hours and came away with 40 records...jazz, jazz vocal, big band, classical, folk. No acid rock, no hair bands. Perhaps another day.

Man all you guys finding these great scores is makin me jealous. I've been having to work real hard lately...

poppachubby
09-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Ouch!!!!!- Mr.P

Visited my favorite record store on visit to my daughter and picked up the following "crooners".....

The Yardbirds-Greatest Hits
Poco-Deliverin
Poco-A Good Feelin To Know
Genesis-Seconds Out
Peter Gabriel-Peter Gabriel

Not too bad for $5 IMO

NIce score on the Peter Gabriel, I love him on vinyl...

thekid
09-27-2009, 06:02 PM
NIce score on the Peter Gabriel, I love him on vinyl...

never tire of Solsbury Hill.....

Anyone here ever find themselves in Richmond VA you need to stop by Plan 9. Their selection of used Vinyl will amaze you. They even had a pair of KLH 23's that my wife had to shoo me away from...... :D

Mr Peabody
09-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Just messing with you, Kid. We've all got our albums "in the closet". Actually, years ago I started a thread about that, what albums are in your collection you really wouldn't want your friends to see or something along that line.

So. 02AN, what you are saying is you left all the good stuff? :) You know, the Rock. 18k is one boat load of vinyl. You'd need something to put your picks in the arm would get heavy after a while especially when the tally got up around 30.

thekid
09-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Just messing with you, Kid. We've all got our albums "in the closet". Actually, years ago I started a thread about that, what albums are in your collection you really wouldn't want your friends to see or something along that line.

I will have you know I proudly display my "Starland Vocal Band" whenever anyone asks about my vinyl......... :smile5:

02audionoob
09-27-2009, 06:33 PM
So. 02AN, what you are saying is you left all the good stuff? :) You know, the Rock. 18k is one boat load of vinyl. You'd need something to put your picks in the arm would get heavy after a while especially when the tally got up around 30.

Good quip, Mr. P, :p but no...I didn't leave the Rock...It just wasn't there. The LP's were almost exclusively the genres I mentioned, plus a little soul. I bought a little of the soul...Aretha Franklin and Roberta Flack. I passed up an Isaac Hayes due to scratches.

The guy having the sale came by to chat and asked if I'd like to have a box. He brought me a box that was just about perfect...12 x 12 x 8...so I just scooted it around on the garage floor.

thekid
10-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Hit a few thrifts today.......

Vinyl
Leonard Cohen-Best of Leonard Cohen

CD

Leo Kottke-Mudlark
Matchbox 20-Mad Season
REM-Eponymous
Peter Gabriel- Shaking the Tree 16 Golden Hits
The Big Chill Soundtrack

and the oddest of the bunch.....

A unopened Victoria Secret Exclusive...... Bob Dyan-Lovesick

poppachubby
10-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Hit a few thrifts today.......

Vinyl
Leonard Cohen-Best of Leonard Cohen

CD

Leo Kottke-Mudlark
Matchbox 20-Mad Season
REM-Eponymous
Peter Gabriel- Shaking the Tree 16 Golden Hits
The Big Chill Soundtrack

and the oddest of the bunch.....

A unopened Victoria Secret Exclusive...... Bob Dyan-Lovesick

Nice score on the Cohen

thekid
11-28-2009, 08:30 PM
This weekends vinyl.....

Randy Newman- Little Criminals
Poco-Deliverin
Joni Mitchell & The LA Express- Miles of Aisles
Traffic-Heavy Traffic
Jonathan Edwards-Honky-Tonk Stardust Cowboy
McGuinn,Clarke & Hillman- McGuinn,Clarke & Hillman

thekid
12-12-2009, 05:05 PM
I have been finding that I enjoy listening to tapes lately on my Nak deck. An very clean sounding little deck even for a two-head piece. So with that in mind I looked cloesly at the tape section in the local thrifts which offer them between 25-50 cents a piece. So this weekend I picked up the following titles on tape and even a few CD's.

Tapes-

Muddy Waters-Hard Again
George Winston-Winter into Spring
Shadowfax-Shadowfax
TP & The Heartbreakers- Southern Accents
TP & The Heartbreakers- Full Moon Fever
Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here
Lindsey Buckingham-Go Insane
John Cougar Mellencamp-Scarecrow
Concrete Blonde-Bloodletting (Never opened)
Three Dog Night-Three Dog Night
Madacy Recordings- 300 Years of Classical Music Vol umes 1-4 (Never Opened)

CD's

Toad the Wet Sprocket-Dulcinea
Leo Kottke-The Essential Leo Kottke
Windham Hills Sampler 1988
The Eagles- Their Greatest Hits

Anyone else still listening to tape????

Mr Peabody
12-12-2009, 06:33 PM
I had a TEAC deck from back in the 80's. It was a good deck at the time. When I started upgrading to some quality gear the deck got to where the only time I used it was to make a tape for some one. Then when no one listened to them any more it sat. Finally I sold it and a boat load of expensive High Bias TDK & Maxell to a guy who still used cassette. He was a friend so I think I let it all go for like $100.00. Before deciding to sell I tried listening to make sure I was doing the right thing. It sounded so much worse than my CD player I knew it was just taking up space in my rack. Forget vintage or nastalgia where cassette is concerned. Is 8-track next? :)

thekid
12-12-2009, 07:32 PM
LOL..... :D
No Mr.P now 8-track in the future.......
I am not comparing tape to CD but to my tin ears they listenable on the system.
It might be because I grew up listening to tape more than any other format.

02audionoob
12-12-2009, 10:17 PM
I still have a tape deck in my car. Listening to the CD player in my car's Infiniti/BOSE system is bad enough...the tape deck is awful. However, my last tape deck in the home system was a Sony TC-K909ES. That was a seriously impressive tape deck.

poppachubby
12-13-2009, 03:08 AM
Anyone else still listening to tape????

I bought my oldest son, 3, a tape recorder from a garage sale. You remember the "portable" type from the 80's? Anyhow, he knows how to use it and he LOVES it.

I also gave him my old MP3 player to use for recording. He used it for a day and went back to the analog. As a result of this, I have bought him a bunch of titles on cassette from the local Goodwill. Beatles, Zep, Floyd, etc, etc....

He loves it. I think the reason is, he senses how no one else has one of these things. Anyhow, been listening to cassette indirectly as a result. I think what was worse than the format itself, was the crappy sleeves. Small with compressed little graphics that make you squint to read.

Stone
12-13-2009, 05:25 AM
I bought my oldest son, 3, a tape recorder from a garage sale. You remember the "portable" type from the 80's? Anyhow, he knows how to use it and he LOVES it.

Strange. I did the same thing for my 3 year old daughter about 6 months ago. She's a bit hot and cold on the tape player. For a day or two at a time, she'll carry it around and listen to music and then it sits on a shelf for a couple weeks.

thekid
01-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Stopped by a GW during my lunch hour and picked up the following for 75 cents a piece

Joe Cocker-Mad Dogs and Englishmen
Jonathan Edwards-John Edwards (original release-Capricorn records in VG shape)
Neil Young-Neil Young (1970 pressing)
Neil Young-After the Gold Rush (2nd copy)

Oh and while I was at it another Laserdisc player CLD-990 for $8 with a bad 80's Shelley Long LD inside.....

Mr Peabody
01-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Does that Jonathan Edwards have Lay Around The Shanty? Good song.

thekid
01-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Does that Jonathan Edwards have Lay Around The Shanty? Good song.

I think the song you are referring to is just called "Shanty" but yes it is there. This was his debut LP and I now think I have 4 of his first 6 LP's. An artist who never really had commercial success but I think is a great singer/songwriter.

blackraven
01-12-2010, 09:21 PM
I recently bought these Cd's-

The XX- awesome music- http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8006256
Mazzy Star-She hangs Brightly Cd, Star Among My Swan Cd and Tonight That I Might See
Cowboy Junkies- Trintiy Revisited, Best Of The Cowboy Junkies and Black Eyed Man
Kazumi Wantanabe-Acoustic Flakes http://www.eastwindimport.com/product-details.asp?CategoryName=Blu-spec+CD&PG=1&ProductID=1324

Blu-Spec Classical Sampler Cd http://www.eastwindimport.com/album-details.asp?ProductID=910

All are excellent. The wife really like the XX.

thekid
02-20-2010, 09:42 AM
No vinyl in the thrifts today but picked up some decent Cd's for about $3.00 a piece
A lot of greatest hit types but hey what the heck......

Fleetwood Mac-Vintage Mac (Pre Stevie and Lindsay)
Janis Joplin Greatest Hits
Yes- Magnification
Sting-sacred Love
Steve Winwood-Nine Lives
Righteous Brothers- Best of
Graham Parker-Burning Questions
John Cougar- (Before the Mellencamp was added-Never opened and it has a price tag from Tower records which went out of business a few years back)
Roy Orbison Greatest Hits

thekid
03-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Half price sale at the local thrift netted the following;

Don Henley-Inside Job
Sting-Brand New Day
Matchbox Twenty- More Than You Think You Are
Doc Watson w/Frosty Morn- Round the Table Again
Miles Davis- Aura

and now for something completely different.....

Monty Python- The Final Rip Off

Everything for under a Hamilton.....

Mr Peabody
03-06-2010, 04:10 PM
I let a guy come cherry pick through some albums I was trying to sell and in the stack was a Monty Python. He waits until I sell him what he picked at a reasonably cheap price then he proceeds to tell me "oh, this Monty Python is unique because it has two sides on one, you hear a different side depending on what groove the needle starts in". I'm thinking to myself, I need to start checking what I have better before I sell it, I may have just lost some money. Well, maybe not lost but certainly sold for cheaper than what it should have. A collector's item like that should have been worth something. A friend of mine who is a collector told me to relax it was only worth about $20.00 I didn't lose the kids college fund :)

thekid
03-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Flipping through the rack at a local SA I came across some Charlie Parker vinyl;

The Early Bird- Charlie Parker w/Miles Davis
Design Spotlight Series-Charlie Parker-Stan Getz and Wardell Gray
Diz'N'Bird
Night and Day-Charlie Parker and his Orchestra

thekid
04-03-2010, 02:26 AM
Got an early start to the weekend by stopping by some thrifts and picking up some CD's for a $1.50 each

Leonard Cohen- "More Best Of"
REM- "Automatic for the People"
Nanci Griffith- "There's A Light Beyond These Woods"
Kid Ory- "Kid Ory's Creole Jazz Band 1954"

thekid
05-22-2010, 03:00 PM
A friend of mine has a beach house down at the oceanfront and I went by to visit them this AM and I noticed a neighbor of his was having a yard sale. Spotted some boxes of LP's so ran over and gave a look.... picked up the following;

Allman Brothers- Brother and Sisters
Elvis Costello- My Aim Is True
James Cotton Band- 100% Cotton
Cream-Goodbye
Cream-Cream
Cream-Live Cream II
Miles Davis-*****es Brew
Bob Dylan-Bringing It All Back Home
Bob Dyan- Nashville Skyline (2nd copy but in better condition)
Bob Dylan-The Basement Tapes
Bob Dylan- John Wesley Harding
Bob Dylan- Street Legal
Jimi Hendrix- Electric Ladyland
Jimi Hendrix- Axis; Bold As Love
Jefferson Airplance- Surrealistic Pillow
Bob Marley and the Wailers- Natty Dread
Ten Years After- Rock and Roll Music to the World
Traffic-When the Eagle Flies
Neil Young- Harvest
Neil Young- Hawks and Doves
Neil Young - Tonight's the Night

All for the princely sum of $6............. :2:

Mr Peabody
05-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Good score and best yet the price was definitely right.

thekid
06-05-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't normally post pics of what I pick up but today's haul had something interesting tucked inside.,, In the JB In Concert Volume 2 I found a brochure and order form from Vanguard/Guild Releases (which included releases up through December 1963... ). They did not look like they had ever been opened which sort of makes sense given the LP's minty condition.

Joan Baez In Concert
Joan Baez In Concert Volume 2
Carole King- Touch the Sky
Diana Ross and the Supremes- Anthology
Carly Simon - Anticipation
The Temptations - Wish It Would Rain

thekid
06-22-2010, 03:00 PM
A little different pick-ups today.....
Hit a new thrift during lunch and picked up a few things a little different than my usual fare

LP's

Monty Python - Live at City Center
Monty Python - Live at Drury Lane
Fast Times At Ridgemont High Soundtrack

Laser Discs

Vivaldi's Four Seasons
Windham Hills - Autumn Leaves
Funny Lady
West Side Story
Twilight Zone The Movie
Ordinary People (Never Opened)

All for a grand total of $5....... :D

Mr Peabody
06-22-2010, 03:04 PM
I didn't realize you still had a laser disc player.

thekid
06-22-2010, 03:17 PM
I didn't realize you still had a laser disc player.

I don't - I have three....... :D

I thought I had posted something here about my laser disc pick-ups. I got about 400 LD's and a player for $50 last Summer. I added a Pioneer DVL-909 earlier this year for little coin which was the TOL player a few years back that plays both LD's, DVD's and CD's. I am kind of interested in the music LD's to see how they look and sound.

Mr Peabody
06-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Well I'd like to think that maybe I just didn't see it when you posted it :) The Vivaldi would be nice. I don't know that much about LD, I wonder if any compression was used in the audio? I worked in electronics in the late 80's, early 90's and I almost missed LD. I don't think it was pushed or marketed well. Here I was in electroncs, walked into a furniture store and asked, "what is that?"

thekid
06-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Well I'd like to think that maybe I just didn't see it when you posted it :) The Vivaldi would be nice. I don't know that much about LD, I wonder if any compression was used in the audio? I worked in electronics in the late 80's, early 90's and I almost missed LD. I don't think it was pushed or marketed well. Here I was in electroncs, walked into a furniture store and asked, "what is that?"

I won't sit here and rave about the PQ of LD but it is not as out of date technology as critics would have you believe. Played on a HD TV it holds it own. soundwise it varies from disc to disc but some of them were recorded in THX.

I am watching/listening to the Vivaldi disc now. Sound is very open seems comparable to vinyl. They show occasional shots of the musicians interspersed with footage of Paris during the different seasons

The musicians listed are;

Lorin Maazel- Violin Solo
Regis Pasquier- Violin Solo
Patrice Fontanrosa Violin Solo
Roland Pidoux Cello
Tasso Adamopoulos Viola
Gaby Lauridon Double Bass
Emer Buckley Harpsichord

bobsticks
06-22-2010, 04:02 PM
http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/imgs/s150x150/4695239.jpg

This is one of my favorite versions...I highly recommend it if you have the means...

thekid
06-22-2010, 04:11 PM
http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/imgs/s150x150/4695239.jpg

This is one of my favorite versions...I highly recommend it if you have the means...

Sticks

Thanks- I will keep an eye out for it.

During the meal at our wedding we had the DJ play The Four Seasons as background music.

People loved it!

thekid
07-16-2010, 06:23 PM
A nice start to the weekend-Very Good + condition

jonnyhambone
07-16-2010, 08:00 PM
^ that Elton John album is great. I think I'll go spin my copy right now...the Bernie Taupin/ Elton John synergy is a special thing.

poppachubby
07-17-2010, 02:12 AM
^ that Elton John album is great. I think I'll go spin my copy right now...the Bernie Taupin/ Elton John synergy is a special thing.

+1 kid! I have that LP as well, and they are really cookin. Back to when John and his band were still young and hungry.

thekid
07-17-2010, 02:22 AM
+1 kid! I have that LP as well, and they are really cookin. Back to when John and his band were still young and hungry.

Thanks!
Did you read my PM yet????

poppachubby
07-17-2010, 02:47 AM
Thanks!
Did you read my PM yet????

Indeed. Thanks alot man. What do you suppose a C2 is worth in average condition?

Auricauricle
07-17-2010, 11:04 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51kGAxRJpoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nigel Kennedy is a dear favorite around this house, a virtuoso who is as adept playing a Vivaldi concerto as he is with dishing out a hearty rendition of Jimi Hendrix. In this recording, Kennedy and bandmates Jo Lovano and JD Allen (saxophone), Ron Carter (bass) Jack De Johnette (drums) and organist Lucky Peterson get down to some real swinging. The line up includes a generous selection of songs by Kenny Burrell, Duke Pearson, Horace Silver, Lonnie Liston Smith, Butch Cornell and Ivory Joe Hunter which keeps my toes tapping and my drink completely ignored.

Sonically, The Blue Note Sessions is a well-recorded album. Kennedy's violin is presented a bit forward of the rest of the group, who are each given their just due. The rosined bow just hums as it is drawn accross the quivering strings, the saxophones as full of wood and brass as you can hope for. In similar fashion, De Johnett's drums snap and throb, crisp but never sibillant and never heavy, but assured and mature. As far as Peterson's organ, you can almost imagine yourself sitting next to the guy, can almost feel his own toes tapping as his fingers flash over the keyboard.

All in all, this is a very enjoyable and highly engaging album. If your looking for something different or just a bit of lemon in your tea, this one is sure to please you. Take that with one lump of sugar, please.

thekid
08-02-2010, 03:00 AM
Took a flyer on these LP's this weekend since several of them are double LP's and one is a boxed set. They only $1 a piece so it worked out to something like 50 cents an LP.
Not sure if they were some type of record club offering but the Vanguard label is generally pretty good so I thought for $5 what the heck.

thekid
08-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Picked up this interesting piece that was mixed in with the LP's at one of SA's. Thought it was worth a $1...... :biggrin5:

thekid
08-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Pretty good day for vinyl and CD's

Marianne Faithful- Go Away From My World
David Bowie- Scary Monsters
Rolling Stones-Emotional Rescue
Rolling Stones- Made in the Shade
Beethhoven Bicentennial Collection Volumes 1,2,9,10,12 and 13 (paid a $1 for each box so it comes out to about 8 cents an LP)

Also picked up a few used CD's

Glassmasters-Philip Glass
The Essential Dean Martin-Dean Martin
Alan Berg Lyric Suite-Kronos Quartet
Richie Havens Collection-Rich Havens
The Gentle Side of John Coltrane-John Coltrane

Mr Peabody
08-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Kid, you have an eclectic taste in music. Unless Deano's stuff was remastered I think you'll find stuff like that sounds better on vinyl. Not meaning to get a format discussion open it's just been my experience that for some reason those older recordings just don't seem to take to CD very well.

thekid
08-22-2010, 02:25 AM
Kid, you have an eclectic taste in music. Unless Deano's stuff was remastered I think you'll find stuff like that sounds better on vinyl. Not meaning to get a format discussion open it's just been my experience that for some reason those older recordings just don't seem to take to CD very well.

Well I did not even mention the bagpipe CD I picked up a couple of weeks ago......:22:
I listen to just about every genre except Rap (though I get heavy doese of MIA when my daughters home..) which I have nothing against but it just does not doing anything for me.

As for the Dean collection it has 30 songs on it and I'd say at least half of them are digitally remastered and listening to it I am not sure you can tell which ones so I think they did alright getting the sound down on this one.

I got stuck planning a year's worth of travel in 2 days so I got to listen to alot of the new CD music yesterday. The majority of the music mentioned stays in the high register with alot of string, keyboard and horns which really plays to the strength of the Klipsch/Adcom combo but the bass was there when needed. I am not sure why people knock the Heresy's bass but then I have a pretty lively room so maybe that helps. Not a bad way to spend 5 hours if you need to be banging away at a keyboard....

Mr Peabody
08-22-2010, 06:15 AM
Did you do some restoring on the Heresy or using as is for now.

Bagpipes, that would be an interesting listen.

02audionoob
08-22-2010, 06:52 AM
I have occasionally toyed with buying that Marianne Faithfull album for the cover alone. She had a memorable face.

thekid
08-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Did you do some restoring on the Heresy or using as is for now.

Bagpipes, that would be an interesting listen.

I have not touched the II's since I bought them. I am sure sending the crossovers to Bob Crites for an overhaul is in order but based on the current sound it is not a pressing need. If an extra $300 fell from the sky I would probably let Crites get my Hersey I's up and running. Somewhere down the line I see a set up with quad Heresy's in my future.....

thekid
10-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Hit a garage sale near me today and after almost scoring the deal of the century (daughter told me the Klipsch LaScala's were selling for $150 and then mom came around the corner and said no they were $1500...... ) I did ifnd some great vinyl for $1 a piece. Some of them I already have but not in as nice a condition. The copy of "Rubber Soul" even had a booklet inside it which I think is actually from "Magical Mystery Tour" but I will have to check. I was actually more excited to find a very good copy of Genesis' "Lambe Lies Down on Broadway" which is a double LP just before Petere Gabriel left.

Joan Baez: Diamonds and Rust
Beatles: Rubber Soul
Beach Boys: Spirit of America
Beach Boys: Endless Summer
David Bowie: Changes Two
Eric Clapton: 461 Ocean Boulevard
Eric Clapton: Behind the Sun
The Doors: Absolutely Live
The Doors: Waiting for the Sun
The Doors: Live at the Hollywood Bowl
Eageles: Live
Genesis: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Elton John: Rock of the Westies
BB King: Live in Cook County Jail
Led Zeppelin: CD/DA
Led Zeppelin: Led Zepplin II

Also grabbed on CD a copy of Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On?" and Cat Steven's "Tea for the Tillerman"

Used a twenty and got change back...... :D

Mr Peabody
10-16-2010, 02:37 PM
For $150.00 I would have made room some how for them babies. Unless a newwer version in mint, $1500.00 seems a bit high. It would have been cool just to see them in person to et a feel for the size. They would have rocked with the 545 :)

thekid
10-16-2010, 04:44 PM
For $150.00 I would have made room some how for them babies. Unless a newwer version in mint, $1500.00 seems a bit high. It would have been cool just to see them in person to et a feel for the size. They would have rocked with the 545 :)

Yeah it was cool just to see them. They are not quite as large as I imagened but still large enough that they would draw immediate attention to themselves in anything but a extremely large room. As I looked through the vinyl we talked about them and she was willing to go down to $1200. Another guy came up to buy some reel-reel tapes they were amd mentioned they were inside and went in to take a look at them. My guess is if you walked up with a $900-$1,000 in cash you could get them.

I will just console myself that tomorrow I am meeting up with a fellow audiophile who is a little better with a soldering iron than I am so hopefully will have the diaphragm's in my Heresy I's replaced. Might be able to convince my wife to let me have a room full Heresy's........

Mr Peabody
10-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Yeah, but I would love to hear the Lascalla, a true horn loaded 15". I wonder what series they were. Old school speakers like that do take up some real estate though. Nice if you have the room.

I am really pleased with the job the Forte are doing. Just seems like my CJ gear have synergy with the better Klipsch models. A guy had another set on CL with mint cabinets, I had to fight the urge, I'm still tempted to shoot him a low ball offer to see if he bites.

thekid
10-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Yeah, but I would love to hear the Lascalla, a true horn loaded 15". I wonder what series they were. Old school speakers like that do take up some real estate though. Nice if you have the room.

I am really pleased with the job the Forte are doing. Just seems like my CJ gear have synergy with the better Klipsch models. A guy had another set on CL with mint cabinets, I had to fight the urge, I'm still tempted to shoot him a low ball offer to see if he bites.

It killed me that a pair of Forte II's sat on CL here for a couple of weeks and the owner was only asking $450. At the moment there is a pair of Klipsch Chorus speakers for only $350. Still out of the range of my immediate resources and there seems to be mixed opinions on them but they look interesting.

thekid
02-01-2011, 04:10 PM
I am sure this post will end in a debate about the viability of SACD but I am a fan of the format. I used some X-mas gift cards and ordered some new discs;

Bob Dylan- The Free Wheelin' Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan- Blonde on Blonde
Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon
Beethoven 5th &6th Symphony (Boston Symphony Orchestra/Charles Munch

Using my Oppo DV-981HD as the SACD player. Only listened to the Pink Floyd so far and it is very impressive. :22:

thekid
02-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Scored some nice vinyl today.
Dire Straits-Communique
Dire Straits- Love over Gold

And a little bit of unusual box set.
Box is in great shape and the original booklet was inside. Records are all in excellent to near mint condition.

The Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz

Looking on some vinyl sites it has very positive reviews and seems to be selling in the $50 range so I guess I did okay for my $6..... :D

thekid
02-18-2011, 04:27 AM
Well actually it was a very good copy of Abbey Road at a local thrift for the princely sum of $1....... :thumbsup:

From what I can tell this is a an original copy that dates to 1969.

Mr Peabody
02-19-2011, 06:15 AM
Good find, if you weren't one of us music junkies you could make money online reselling those LP's in other areas. I would think a mint copy of Abbey Road would fetch a decent price. Most of the time buying online the shipping is more than the LP though.

thekid
02-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Good find, if you weren't one of us music junkies you could make money online reselling those LP's in other areas.

I am sure that is my wife's plan when I am no longer around...... :D
According to my album guide a near mint version (which this is isn't) would bring around $20. I do have some valuable records but prices are proportional to their condition and when you are talking about something where literally millions of copies were sold the appreciation rate is not so great. Of course that did not keep a local SA from asking $150 for their copy of "Off the Wall" (which just the week before was in the $1 rack) after Michael Jackson died.

Mr Peabody
02-19-2011, 04:10 PM
I have a Lenny Bruce LP that is probably worth the most in my collection. I'll get around to selling it one day. I unknowingly sold a Monty Python LP that was worth about $20.00. I sold it with some other LP's I didn't want for about $1 a piece. Then after the transaction the guy proceeded to tell me about the LP. I'm like, oh thanks. I should have told him I changed my mind and not let him out of the house, LOL. The unique thing about the LP it had two sides on one, depending on which groove the needle fell in is what you heard. Good thing it was only a comedy album this 2 on 1 thing would have sounded terrible for music.

thekid
04-09-2011, 02:35 PM
At the same church yard sale where I scored the Paradigm Center channel I paid a $1 for a 1966 mono release of the The Trogs "Wild Thing" and Sly and the Family Stone's "Greatest Hits". Both in very good condition.

bobsticks
04-09-2011, 03:39 PM
I am sure this post will end in a debate about the viability of SACD...

What's there to debate? New releases are fairly frequent, good quality...if one likes the genre then invest, if not one can go elsewhere...

BTW, nice acquisition on the Smithsonian...there's some real nuggets of jazz gold in them there archival hills.

thekid
05-21-2011, 11:00 AM
I stopped by an estate sale today and found probably around 1,000 CD's. 99% of them were Classical or Opera but I found a few to my liking though I am not sure about some of the quality of these recordings. Perhaps those of you more versed in Classical can tell me if these are okay.

Vilvaldi 6 Concerti- I Solisti Italiani Denon

Telemann- The Paris Quartets / American Baroque Amon-Ra Records

Handel- The Water Music / George Szell London Symphony London

A Copland Celebration Vol1 & Vol 2 / Aaron Copland London Symphony and others Sony Classical

Other titles....

Alberta Hunter - Amtrak Blues Columbia
The Best of the Chieftains Columbia
Ian & Sylvia's Greatest Hits - Vanguard

RGA
05-21-2011, 08:25 PM
I love the look back into pre 1970s music or for some pre 1870's music but how about some new stuff?

Picked up a new to me artist - first album 2011.

In the spirit of pop music and a couple of days before Lady Gaga's newest album is released and which will probably sell more than 12 million copies and get tons of attention for months - how about someone different. Ellie Goulding.

I enjoyed Ellie Goulding on SNL but she sure isn't your standard pop voice.

She's a kind of British pop singer - with not a pop singer's voice but a rougher whispier and "oddly" soulful voice infused with electronica. Not a bad recording quality either - somewhat compressed but plentiful "synth" style bass and the entire album should go over well in the nightclubs.

Nope - if you don't like pop you still won't like this. However, for pop it's a superior production, better than usual lyrics, plenty of toe tapping lines.

BubbleGum Pop - but with longer lasting flavour. http://www.accesshollywood.com/rising-star-british-chanteuse-and-royal-wedding-reception-performer-ellie-goulding_article_47661

Tell me what you think (Live version) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SsLnNazxY0&feature=fvwrel

thekid
05-21-2011, 09:23 PM
I love the look back into pre 1970s music or for some pre 1870's music but how about some new stuff?

I suppose looking at my postings on this thread you could get the impression that I do not listen to "new stuff" but that is not the case. Originally most of my posts here were regarding the vinyl I was picking up on the cheap which by default (until recently with new groups putting out vinyl) limiited the music to a certain time period. Besides my general interest in almost all music I have a teenage son and a twenty-something daughter who keep me pretty current. I just have made the choice for this post not to list when I have picked up some music from Flo and the Machine, Adele or someone else currently getting air play.

RGA
05-23-2011, 08:31 PM
I suppose looking at my postings on this thread you could get the impression that I do not listen to "new stuff" but that is not the case. Originally most of my posts here were regarding the vinyl I was picking up on the cheap which by default (until recently with new groups putting out vinyl) limiited the music to a certain time period. Besides my general interest in almost all music I have a teenage son and a twenty-something daughter who keep me pretty current. I just have made the choice for this post not to list when I have picked up some music from Flo and the Machine, Adele or someone else currently getting air play.

Sorry it wasn't really a comment to you or anything it was just a general statement. Kind of goes back to CES where all these rooms were playing Hotel California for the billionth time and the usual classical and Jazz standards. There is new music and many new artists.

I never quite understood the fascination with listening to 10 different interpretations of one piece of music. Well I do get it but I guess I want to hear what's going on with new artists and their take on things.

Sure I like Miles' Kind of Blue just like the next audiophile but I suppose I'm getting tired of seeing it and the likes of it pop up over and over.

thekid
05-24-2011, 01:57 AM
Sorry it wasn't really a comment to you or anything it was just a general statement. Kind of goes back to CES where all these rooms were playing Hotel California for the billionth time and the usual classical and Jazz standards. There is new music and many new artists.

I never quite understood the fascination with listening to 10 different interpretations of one piece of music. Well I do get it but I guess I want to hear what's going on with new artists and their take on things.

Sure I like Miles' Kind of Blue just like the next audiophile but I suppose I'm getting tired of seeing it and the likes of it pop up over and over.

No harm-No foul.

Never having been to CES I can not say anything about the choice of music but from what you are saying I understand it from a marketing stand point. Whenever testing new gear the experts tell you to listen to it using music you are very familiar with. In part because knowing the music well can help you determine if the gear is reproducing the music faithfully/accurately. Secondly by using familar music there is greater chance the listener will be focused in on the gear rather than the music itself. Finally the use of "standards" would be less likely to negatively influence a potential buyers opinion of the gear. Some people listening to new music that they did not like might attribute that negative opinion of the music to the gear and therfor less likley to purchase the gear.

BTW- I did just pick up a copy of Alison Krauss + Union Stations newest CD "Paper Airplane" for an Anniversary present. Highly recommend it! Recorded very well and her voice is as angelic as always.

thekid
06-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Struck some more CD gold at the Goodwill today....

Not sure if there are any Genesis fans around here but I found an interesting CD by Steve Hackett called "Watcher of the Skies: Genesis Revisited". Steve Hackett along with members of King Crimson, Yes, the Zombies and others rework some early Genesis tunes. Not all of them work but most of them are very good and I think would be welcome among the original Genesis catalog.

Also scored

Best of Miles Davis The Capitol/Blue Note Years- Miles Davis
Dreams (Discs 1-4) - The Allman Brothers

Happy Father's Day to me............. :D

thekid
06-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Well it has been about a year and several hundred CD's and vinyl pick-ups since I last posted on this thread. I thought I'd post today's thrift store CD finds since it was a pretty good haul for about 15 minutes of my time.

For Everyman - Jackson Browne
Jackson Browne - Jackson Browne
The Pretender - Jackson Browne
Are You Experienced - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
The Ultimate Collection 1948-1990 - John Lee Hooker
Freak Out - The Mothers of Invention
Consolers of the Lonely - The Raconteurs
Let It Bleed - The Rolling Stones
Nebraska - Bruce Springsteen
Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen
Sand in the Vaseline - Talking Heads
The Velvet Underground & Nico
Back to Black - Amy Winehouse
Ballads and Blues 1972 - George Winston

thekid
06-28-2012, 06:35 PM
So while stumbling around in the same storage locker that yielded a pair of KG4's and Pioneer SX-626 receiver at below bargain prices I aciddentally kick open a box of vinyl.

First record on top is John Coltrane's "Standard Coltrane". Encouraged I lift up the next record and there is a copy of Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue". I negotiate a $1 per LP and off I go. When I get back to my office I go to show everyone my vinyl and to check its condition further. I can't open the "Kind of Blue" LP because it is still sealed!!!!

Turns out it is a special 180G "Blue Vinyl" edition that came out 10 years ago.
Somehow I think I did alright with my $1 on that one........... :D