Howdee. I'm new here. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Howdee. I'm new here.

Brett A
02-22-2008, 12:46 PM
Howdee.

I too looked around for an “introduction forum”, being prompted to do so after registering. like the other I didn’t find one.

Please consider this my introduction post. I’ll try to keep it as short as my own reading attention span. (well, maybe a bit longer than that)

I've been into audio literally since I can remember (I’m 41) but never had any money to spend. So I’ve lived for most of my life with various found objects to put between the Acoustic Research AR93’s I acquired in the mid 80’s. I tried to get the best quality I could for little or no money (several Yamaha rigs and a Sherwood come to mind)

For the last seven years or so I had settled into a flea-market-and-wedding-gift system consisting of a Rotel 1070 CD player, NAD 3020 integrated amp powering a pair of mid-eighties Acoustic Research AR 93s (floorstanding baby brothers to the AR 9s) All wired together with $30 ICs and $0.60/ft in-wall speaker cable. (a good friend of mine broke me of my equalizer dependence back in 2001, god bless him).

Well, about a year ago I started tweaking in earnest. I braided a pair of CAT5 speaker cables, I put Vibrapods under my CDP, spiked my speakers and countless other obsessive-compulsive acts---many involving MDF.

I eventually tweaked myself up against a wall.

This was great timing b/c I moved into a better paying position at work (I won’t go into debt for this hobby)

Without knowing I was buying a new system, it started with new speakers --- the new B&W 683 floor standers. I have to admit I bought these in haste. I listened to them –and only them -- for a couple hours in the shop before deciding I’d be happy with them.

I took more time buying an amp to drive them. I spent about a two months taking different units home before making the decision to buy the Shanling A3000. I also in this time upgraded through various ICs eventually to a pair of Siltech New York’s. (I'm still using the Rotel RCD 1070)

Luckily (b/c I didn't always know what I was doing), I love this system. And I love it more and more as the weeks pass.

I’ve learned a lot in the short months since September when I first bought the speakers. I’ve been reading voraciously and continuing to tweak. I’ve gotten into room acoustics. I have made panels and purchased bass traps (ATS acoustics is a wonderful source).

Well, I could go on and on (and on). But I’ll cut it short. Suffice to say I am loving my new relationship with this old interest. (Particularly the Shanling amp. It’s like we got a new pet!)

All the best ---Brett

http://gallery.audioasylum.com/cgi/view.mpl?u=45274&f=System_021.jpg&v=f&UserImages=45274&session=&&moniker=Brett%20A&invite=&w=704&h=396

JohnMichael
02-22-2008, 01:27 PM
Welcome to AudioReview. Your system looks very nice. It also looks like you could use advice on a turntable.

Brett A
02-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Welcome to AudioReview. Your system looks very nice. It also looks like you could use advice on a turntable.
Thanks and indeed.
I have a TT, but it isn't satisfying enough to keep in the system.
It's a Pioneer PL-550 direct drive with an Sumiko Oyster cart. that I hook up through the phono stage of the old NAD 2030 integrated. To say it sounds flat and grainy would be generous.
I actually have hooked up now, but will probably pack it back into the closet soon.
Someday, I will afford a proper analog rig.:smile5:

JohnMichael
02-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Thanks and indeed.
I have a TT, but it isn't satisfying enough to keep in the system.
It's a Pioneer PL-550 direct drive with an Sumiko Oyster cart. that I hook up through the phono stage of the old NAD 2030 integrated. To say it sounds flat and grainy would be generous.
I actually have hooked up now, but will probably pack it back into the closet soon.
Someday, I will afford a proper analog rig.:smile5:

I think your cartridge is to blame. Many sites sell the Audio Technica 440ML for $99.00 and going from a conical stylus to the microline would open up a lot more music. Of course there are great cartridges into the multiple thousands of dollars. Making sure the cartridge is mounted properly can also improve the sound.