Help equalizing sound levels on commercials [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help equalizing sound levels on commercials

traugh
02-22-2008, 09:16 AM
I am new to this home theater thing and have discovered an irritating problem.
I have the Onkyo SR705 receiver and have found that my HD broadcasts thru my
cable box deliver a substantial increas in the volume levels of sound during the commercials. Is there something in my receiver that I can set to equalize the sound
volumes between the regular shows and the commercials?

If not on the receiver, is there anything that can be added to my system that would do this?

I really appreciate this forum as a resource, you folks have been a great source of advice.

L.J.
02-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Kinda off topic.....but how do you like your 705?

Are you having any sync issues when viewing HD channels using your 705 for sound?

markw
02-22-2008, 10:03 AM
cable box deliver a substantial increas in the volume levels of sound during the commercials. Is there something in my receiver that I can set to equalize the sound

If not on the receiver, is there anything that can be added to my system that would do this?

I really appreciate this forum as a resource, you folks have been a great source of advice.It's just one of the network's tricks to assure that their commecials are heard. It sucks, but it's legal to "compress" the sound so it all comes out at one level. No soft sounds, no loud sounds, just all at the same level and it appears to be louder than the programs.

traugh
02-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Kinda off topic.....but how do you like your 705?

Are you having any sync issues when viewing HD channels using your 705 for sound?

I have had it a about 6 weeks now and have only noticed a slight syncing issue
on a couple of ocassions. Didn't seem to last very long when it did happen. Both of those times happened "before" I did the auto setup. Don't know if the auto setup helped the issue for certain or if it is just coincidence.

L.J.
02-22-2008, 10:37 AM
I have had it a about 6 weeks now and have only noticed a slight syncing issue
on a couple of ocassions. Didn't seem to last very long when it did happen. Both of those times happened "before" I did the auto setup. Don't know if the auto setup helped the issue for certain or if it is just coincidence.

I auditioned the 805 several months ago and this was one of the issues I ran into. Like you said, it doesn't happen all the time. Glad to hear things are working out. They are very solid units.

Rich-n-Texas
02-22-2008, 11:40 AM
On my computer's sound card software I have the option to turn on AVR (automatic volume something or other), and I'm surprised this feature isn't available on receivers. The same issues happen to me traugh and it's VERY annoying. The CBS network affiliate here broadcasts with a high volume level as well.

Spancticles
02-27-2008, 06:11 PM
the mute button

pablo13
02-28-2008, 10:33 AM
My PVR takes care of it - I don't watch any commercials, so they are neither loud or quiet

Rich-n-Texas
02-28-2008, 10:50 AM
My PVR takes care of it - I don't watch any commercials, so they are neither loud or quiet
Good point.

And...

Welcome to the AR forums Pablo13!

ldgibson76
02-28-2008, 11:44 AM

I really appreciate this forum as a resource, you folks have been a great source of advice.

Hello "traugh"!

Unfortunately, your Onkyo is lacking the "NIGHT" feature. In this mode, regardless of the audio output level of your cable box, the receiver output level maintains a preset level, usually 2dB lower than the original volume level setting.:confused5: This feature is on all three of my AVR's (Marantz, Yamaha and Denon). I use this feature often after 10pm during the weekdays. Other than muting, you may have to endure the boisterous audio of the commercial break.
Now don't be discouraged. If there is a remedy for your dilemma, someone on this forum will bring it to your attention. The members here are generous like that!

Regards.

pixelthis
02-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Theres an author named Robert Ringer. Wrote self help books.
On a tour of a TV station he said someone in the group asked about this.
The guide replied that it wasn't even possible to alter the volume in that manner.
On the way out he tapped an engineer on the shoulder, he took off his headset,
and Ringer asked him the same question.
"Sure! Just turn that knob"!
Broadcasters have denied this forever, and have been doing it forever.
The dynamic range compression circuits Mr P talks about are a help, but destroy any liveliness your program might have.
THE DVR works for me.

rick390
04-08-2008, 09:29 PM
My new Mitsubishi hdtv has a "level sound" feature that I use that seems to work pretty well. I don't notice the commercials being so loud anymore.

bfalls
04-09-2008, 04:53 AM
I notice the same differences on my Dishnetwork Vip622 HD receiver, only with volume differences between different channels. I noticed it after a receiver upgrade. Some channels are a 9 setting, other a 25. I called DN to complain and was told it's the difference between stereo and 5.1 channels and has always been that way. I've had my receiver for over a year and didn't notice it before the upgrade. DN offered to have a technician look at it---for a $99 service charge. Unless of course, I sign up for their service program which will reduce the service charge to $29. I think the fee is another $8/month.

What a CROCK. First they break it then want to charge you to fix it. I'm seriously considering going with DirectTV. Anyone had similar experience? Opinions?

f0rge
04-09-2008, 05:16 AM
i have the same problem with rogers in canada

i dont think there's much we can do about it...

pixelthis
04-10-2008, 12:41 AM
I notice the same differences on my Dishnetwork Vip622 HD receiver, only with volume differences between different channels. I noticed it after a receiver upgrade. Some channels are a 9 setting, other a 25. I called DN to complain and was told it's the difference between stereo and 5.1 channels and has always been that way. I've had my receiver for over a year and didn't notice it before the upgrade. DN offered to have a technician look at it---for a $99 service charge. Unless of course, I sign up for their service program which will reduce the service charge to $29. I think the fee is another $8/month.

What a CROCK. First they break it then want to charge you to fix it. I'm seriously considering going with DirectTV. Anyone had similar experience? Opinions?

If its between channels then you have no complaint.
Besides the reason they gave you vollume differences between channels
has always been a problem, its the provider that is the problem.
You just have to adjust the sound when you change channel.
Whats the prob with that?:1: