Do you know? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Do you know?

gjpham
02-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Do you know which finishing that this Usher speaker have, a real wood veneer or vinyl laminate? THanks

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc28/gjpham/CP-8571-back-2.jpg

basite
02-21-2008, 10:50 AM
veneer on those...
vinyl is only used in cheap speakers these days...

gjpham
02-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Wow then, the varnishing that on it is pretty, so perfectly even/smooth.

basite
02-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Wow then, the varnishing that on it is pretty, so perfectly even/smooth.

My thiels are like mirrors...

gjpham
02-21-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm so sad now, if that is veneer then it's gonn a break my bank. Thought I could save some money....
I've found a very skilled carpenter that was met my expectation to build an identical Usher speaker cabinets. (Oops, can I say that?) He knowns how high end speakers braced internally but that wasn't how I chose him. I stopby his shop and his works was nice and impressive. But after looking at my drawings, his price was $1,500/pair (just the box, I have all the hardware, drivers, XO,ect). Estimated at about 160 lbs each and would take about a month to build. Because of the curves, it will take x day for each layer of 1/16 MDF to dry out.
Q: If you are dearly love your current speakers, would you spend $1,500 for the this Usher cabinets?
FYI: The model BE10 matches with my current floor standing speakers. Usher sells $14,000 for a pair. www.usheraudiousa.com. and at the same time, you can buy their drivers at www. partsexpress.com
I already know the consequences if I go with this route, so please no more breaching what the sound would be like. It'd just make me feel more sad. I LOVE MY CURRENT JBL L100 t3 and this is why I'm changing its idenity and keeping the same DNA. Please join in and share thoughts to make this dream of mine comes true.
More pics here. http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=26083

Rich-n-Texas
02-21-2008, 12:39 PM
My thiels are like mirrors...
My B&W's are like pitch-black!:sad:

Luvin Da Blues
02-21-2008, 01:06 PM
My B&W's are like pitch-black!:sad:

Ha, my PSBs are like pitch black mirrors. :prrr:

JohnMichael
02-21-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm so sad now, if that is veneer then it's gonn a break my bank. Thought I could save some money....
I've found a very skilled carpenter that was met my expectation to build an identical Usher speaker cabinets. (Oops, can I say that?) He knowns how high end speakers braced internally but that wasn't how I chose him. I stopby his shop and his works was nice and impressive. But after looking at my drawings, his price was $1,500/pair (just the box, I have all the hardware, drivers, XO,ect). Estimated at about 160 lbs each and would take about a month to build. Because of the curves, it will take x day for each layer of 1/16 MDF to dry out.
Q: If you are dearly love your current speakers, would you spend $1,500 for the this Usher cabinets?
FYI: The model BE10 matches with my current floor standing speakers. Usher sells $14,000 for a pair. www.usheraudiousa.com. and at the same time, you can buy their drivers at www. partsexpress.com
I already know the consequences if I go with this route, so please no more breaching what the sound would be like. It'd just make me feel more sad. I LOVE MY CURRENT JBL L100 t3 and this is why I'm changing its idenity and keeping the same DNA. Please join in and share thoughts to make this dream of mine comes true.
More pics here. http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=26083

I hate to rain on anyone's parade but I am sure he can build nice enclosures but can he use the same adhesivs assembling the cabinet? Does he know the type of material used by Usher to damp the cabinet? The Usher Tiny Dancer uses lead panels for the speakers made for the USA. You may end up with a very nice sounding speaker but there are so many variables to construction that I do wonder if you will end up with an "Usher".

JohnMichael
02-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Bert if your speakers are like mirrors look into them and take a picture of your self. Then If you have not already done so post the picture.

Rich-n-Texas
02-21-2008, 01:25 PM
I'd like to find someone trustworthy enough to re-laminate mine. Then again if it IS somebody I could trust I probably wouldn't be able to afford it anyway.

basite
02-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Bert if your speakers are like mirrors look into them and take a picture of your self. Then If you have not already done so post the picture.

Tried that already, didn't work out as I hoped...

flash ruined the pic (I also wasn't visible...), without flash, I was slightly visible, but really not much, and the picture wasn't clear enough...

will post a pic of myself though...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

gjpham
02-24-2008, 10:09 AM
......I also wasn't visible...
Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Hahaha, well, do you have any pics of the speakers then?

audio amateur
02-24-2008, 10:44 AM
click on his user gallery, should be some there

basite
02-24-2008, 10:48 AM

you mean like pics of the speakers as in 'just a photo of the speakers', or the total system, or a photo of the speakers while trying to photograph myself through them?

I don't know if I still have the pics I tried to make of myself through the speakers (basically it's just the veneer that you see, changing in color since the flash lights up a certain part...), pics of my system and the speakers themselves are in my photo gallery.

here's a good example, but the pic is slightly grainy though...
http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/Luidsprekers_4.jpg

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

audio amateur
02-24-2008, 10:48 AM
They should be in his 'user gallery'.
Nice rides you've got on those pictures, I'm jealous. Your movie room is nice too

audio amateur
02-24-2008, 10:49 AM
well there you go:p