Need Help with Denon 2801 AV Receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Denon 2801 AV Receiver

tracyv
03-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Hello,

Before I pack my receiver off to be repaired, thought I would run this by everyone for any suggestions.

While listening to a CD in 5 channel stereo mode, I suddenly noticed that I was receiving sound only out of the center speaker and sub woofer. I had been listeing to CDs at moderately high volume for a couple of hours (I emphasize moderately high - not pushing to the extreme in any way) . I have never activated the protection circuit in the 2+ years I have owned my Denon and never had any problems whatsoever. I have extremely good ventilation around and behind the receiver (i.e. 5+ inches in every direction). The unit did not seem to be unusually hot.

I went under the assumption that I must have activated the protection circuit and unplugged the unit overnight and followed Denon's email suggestion to hold down the A and B speaker buttons on the front of the unit while plugging the unit in and going through the setup menu. This didn't work and the set up menu doesn't recognize the 4 non-working speakers at all.

Now I'm questioning whether or not this has anything to do with the protection circuit as the receiver didn't shut down completely. Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you all may have.

Tracy

Woochifer
03-04-2004, 09:34 PM
Is it working this way with every input (including the six-channel analog input)? DSP mode on and off? Digital and analog sources? If so, then you probably got an issue with the amp section. The protection mode kicks in before the level reaches a point where damage to the output circuits is pending. If any of the output circuits just fail prematurely, then the protection mode won't matter.

tracyv
03-06-2004, 11:56 AM
Thanks for your response. Yes, the problem occurs with all input sources. Unit is about 2 1/2 yrs old - very disapointing if this is just a premature failure as I think it went off warranty at 2 years. Do you know if something like this is expensive to fix?