How much is, "too much money"? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How much is, "too much money"?

ForeverAutumn
02-21-2008, 08:40 AM
I think this guy would qualify (oh yeah, and whoever was bidding against him). At least the money goes to a worthy charity...

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates - A licence plate with nothing but the number "1" on it went for a record $14 million at a charity auction Saturday.

Saeed Khouri, a member of a wealthy Abu Dhabi family, wouldn't say how many automobiles he owned or which of them might carry the record-breaking single-digit plate. "I bought it because it's the best number," said Khouri, whose family made its fortune in real estate. "I bought it because I want to be the best in the world."

The UAE began auctioning off vanity licence plates last May.

Ordinary automobile licence plates issued to drivers here - and even most other vanity series plates - carry both Arabic and western numerals and script, defining the issuing city and country.

Khouri's plate, however, has only the western numeral and no letters.

The record sale surpassed the $6.8 million that was paid for an licence plate at an earlier auction with the number '5' on it - also without Arabic numerals or letters.

Proceeds from the auctions, which are held in a lavish hotel here, go to a rehabilitation centre for victims of traffic accidents.

On Saturday, 90 licence plates were auctioned off in all, raising a total of $24 million. The previous five such events raised more than $50 million.

basite
02-21-2008, 08:55 AM
and they decare us crazy for buying $10 grand speakers...

Feanor
02-21-2008, 12:02 PM
I think this guy would qualify (oh yeah, and whoever was bidding against him). At least the money goes to a worthy charity...

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates - A licence plate with nothing but the number "1" on it went for a record $14 million at a charity auction Saturday.

Saeed ....

As I see it, there is no issue with how much money a thing costs if a rich person wants to buy it. The real quesition is how did a person get that rich and who did s/he screw over to get there?

Rich-n-Texas
02-21-2008, 01:31 PM
The real quesition is how did a person get that rich and who did s/he screw over to get there?
OIL.

Simple as that.

Feanor
02-21-2008, 04:45 PM
OIL.

Simple as that.

Now I get it. They invented oil. Umm ... no, that was nature. OK, they make the oil. Umm ... no, nature did that too. So, they refine the oil. Umm ... no, that's mostly do outside the UAE.

The truth is they just happen to be sitting on a lot of the crude stuff, which is the case because several generations ago their ancestors happened to grab a lot of dusty desert that wasn't good for much at the time except camel grazing.

It's interesting that in Canada the farmer under whose land oil is found, doesn't own it. It is the property of the Crown. All the farmer gets is rent when the oil company comes on to his land to well it. Nor can the farmer simply refuse to let the oil company, licensed by the Crown, on to his land: he must come to some agreement.

thekid
02-23-2008, 07:30 AM
Now I get it. They invented oil. Umm ... no, that was nature. OK, they make the oil. Umm ... no, nature did that too. So, they refine the oil. Umm ... no, that's mostly do outside the UAE.

The truth is they just happen to be sitting on a lot of the crude stuff, which is the case because several generations ago their ancestors happened to grab a lot of dusty desert that wasn't good for much at the time except camel grazing.

It's interesting that in Canada the farmer under whose land oil is found, doesn't own it. It is the property of the Crown. All the farmer gets is rent when the oil company comes on to his land to well it. Nor can the farmer simply refuse to let the oil company, licensed by the Crown, on to his land: he must come to some agreement.

That's why we got rid of the Crown a couple of hundred years ago..... :)

Just kidding I have Canadian roots from back in the day, my great grandfather is buried in I believe Sudbury?

ForeverAutumn
02-23-2008, 12:45 PM
That's why we got rid of the Crown a couple of hundred years ago..... :)

Just kidding I have Canadian roots from back in the day, my great grandfather is buried in I believe Sudbury?

No disrespect to your great grandfather, but Sudbury is an awful place to have to spend eternity. :(

thekid
02-23-2008, 04:45 PM
No disrespect to your great grandfather, but Sudbury is an awful place to have to spend eternity. :(

I will have to take your word for it since I have never been there. Both branches of the family are from Michigan and apparently on my Dad's side they had migrated from Canada at some point. 3rd cousins twice removed or some such connection are still in Canada but we would not know each other from a stranger on the street.

My funny story of "A Visit to Canada" (or the "Arrogant American");

When visiting my relatives several years ago up in Michigan my wife decided she wanted to visit Canada. So we hopped in my Grandfather's car with my 2 1/2 year old daughter and I figured we would just go over the bridge at Port Huron and spend a couple of hours in Canada. Now I had not been to Canada in several years and when we were kids it was no big deal to cross back and forth. (This visit was also pre 9/11) So as we get up to the border checkpoint one of Canada's finest asked if we had our Passports? I said no and then she asked if we had our Birth Certificates? I said no. She asked how did I expect to enter the country? (Enter the Arrogant American) I was at a loss for words since we used to cross so easily years ago so I blurted out "But this is Canada". To which the border guard in a very firm voice said "Well sir we are an independent country".

I told my wife that technically she was in Canada but that we had to turn around. The border police officer however was kind enough to just ask my daughter a few questions to make sure we were not kidnappers and we did have a nice visit.

Anyway sorry for hi-jacking this thread about the rich and careless.........

trollgirl
03-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Too much money is when you have so much that you buy things or services that are not good for you. $10,000 speakers might qualify.

Laz