Help me pick my TV! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick my TV!

scottdg
02-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Hi everyone. I was hoping to get a little help picking a new TV. This is my first HD set and I have researched and weighed my options extensively. The one thing I am having a hard time deciding on is if I should sacrifice size for LCD. I am looking in the $1500 range (within a couple hundred high or low). I thought I had my mind made up with the Panasonic 50PX75U plasma until I saw it in the store and saw a considerable amount of glare. I will be watching in a room that gets little direct sunlight and obviously I can control the light in the evening. So should I be concerned with buying the 50" Panny or should I downsize and go with an LCD such Sony KDL-46S3000 or KDL-46V2500? The only other thing to consider is video games but I understand that burn-in is not nearly as big an issue as it used to be so I am less concerned with that at this point.

Also, do HDMI switch boxes cause any performance issues. I don't need one right away. I am just trying to think ahead.

I appreciate any suggestions and advice.

Scott

bfalls
02-20-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm not that familiar with Panasonic, but I work for Sony and recently purchased their Bravia KDL52XBR5. A friend I work with bought the KDL40S3000. I can highly recommend both sets. I also own a Hiitachi 57S715 which I was very happy with, but I couldn't pass up a great deal Sony was offering their employees. The Sony beats the Hitachi hands down, It's more detailed, brighter, has better color and their menu interface is very simple to use.

You shouldn't have any performance issues with the HDMI switchbox. I had purchased one to use with my Hitachi. I found it on Ebay for $45 including shipping and remote. Be sure the one you purchase is HDMI1.3 compatible. Also I heard not all switches are compatible with satellite DVR receivers, so you may want to consider this when researching. I've seen may available on ebay, many without bids so can be had for the starting price. The same with HDMI cables. I was able to purchase two 12' cable for $8.50 ea including shipping. Good Luck.

scottdg
02-21-2008, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the response.

I have no doubt that all the TVs are great. I was hoping to get some feedback on the glare issue. Is it worth downgrading size to get an LCD or paying $400 more for a Panasonic with Anti-glare filter. I also saw a Hitachi HP-T5064 on sale for $1,295 that I might have to consider.

Feanor
02-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Hi everyone. I was hoping to get a little help picking a new TV. This is my first HD set and I have researched and weighed my options extensively. The one thing I am having a hard time deciding on is if I should sacrifice size for LCD. I am looking in the $1500 range (within a couple hundred high or low). I thought I had my mind made up with the Panasonic 50PX75U plasma until I saw it in the store and saw a considerable amount of glare. I will be watching in a room that gets little direct sunlight and obviously I can control the light in the evening. So should I be concerned with buying the 50" Panny or should I downsize and go with an LCD such Sony KDL-46S3000 or KDL-46V2500? The only other thing to consider is video games but I understand that burn-in is not nearly as big an issue as it used to be so I am less concerned with that at this point.

Also, do HDMI switch boxes cause any performance issues. I don't need one right away. I am just trying to think ahead.

I appreciate any suggestions and advice.

Scott

It's my impression that plasma and LCD are pretty close these days. Am I wrong? I wouldn't sacrifice sized for LCD, though 42' will probably do me either way.

Like you, I'll be buying my first HDTV fairly soon. I think I'll go for the plasma on account of the better color (blacks at least) and the quickrer response time. I won't be playing games so I don't think burn-in will be a problem.

scottdg
02-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks Feanor.

After doing some more research I have actually narrowed it down to 2 50" plasmas. The main issue now being glare. The Samsung 5064 and the Panasonic PZ77U. They both apparently have glare reduction technology built in but from what I have read the Samsung is not as good in this area. I am going to try and look at them tomorrow and see what I think. If the Samsung seems reasonable in this area I do not see the point in spending another $500 for the Panasonic.

scottdg
02-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice. I decided on the Panasonic 50pz77u.

I just have another question about the est way to connect the DVD player (Sony about 4 years old). I currently have it set up using an S Video cable from the player to the TV and I am not all that pleased with the picture. Should I be using a different type of cable? Would HDMI give me a better picture? The only other ports ar ecomponent ports. Does that mean I need a new DVD player. Not a big deal if I do. I can always move this one to another room. But I was hoping to wait until I can buy a blue-ray.

captjamo
02-23-2008, 01:42 PM
I was just in Sam's Club yesturday and was stunned by the performance of Vizio's 47" LCD full 1080p HDTV (around 1400.00). I feel it is the best bang for your buck out there today. Also I bought my KDL-46W3000 at http://www.butterflyphoto.com for a very good price. I don't know how they do it. They have Sony extended warrenty for a good price that can be taken into BestBuy or Circuit City. Also, no tax if you live in a state other than New Jersey.

Hyfi
02-24-2008, 01:06 PM
I'm sure you got one by now but the Sony XBR series in any size beats almost all. Beware of the Visio at Sams. Unless you can put one side by side next to an XBR, or top Samsung or Sharp, they do look better than the rest of the crap they have.

Also, I have bought both my KDL42XBR2 and just recently the 32XBR4 via internet ans saved several hundred bucks plus tax. The 42 I saved close to $500 and the 32 I saved over $400. If your willing to take the chance, and be there to unpack it when delivered (once he leaves it's yours) it's the way to go.

blackraven
02-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Beware, those antiglare screens on the plasma TV's still reflect alot of glare and they also degrade the picture. Just compare the panasonic plasma TV's with and without the antiglare screens side by side and you will see what I mean. Plasma's need the shiny high glare screens for contrast and brightness. Thats why Samsung now uses a higher glare screen on its new LCD TV's to give it a sharper and higher contrast picture and they are losing sales to Sony because of this.

topspeed
02-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. I decided on the Panasonic 50pz77u.

I just have another question about the est way to connect the DVD player (Sony about 4 years old). I currently have it set up using an S Video cable from the player to the TV and I am not all that pleased with the picture. Should I be using a different type of cable? Would HDMI give me a better picture? The only other ports ar ecomponent ports. Does that mean I need a new DVD player. Not a big deal if I do. I can always move this one to another room. But I was hoping to wait until I can buy a blue-ray.
For HD, you'll need to either connect via HDMI or component for bandwidth reasons. Generally speaking rca<Svid<Component<HDMI. Personally, I couldn't tell the difference between component vs. HDMI, but there is a lot to be said for the ease of connectivity with the latter. Three bulky component cables compared or one thin HDMI cable? You decide.

Hope this helps.

blueheron
05-03-2008, 08:37 AM
Both the Panasonic and the Sony KDL series are excellent and you should be happy with them.

I use a HDMI switch (http://octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%205port.htm) and with the Panasonic and SOny have no issues. Its a convienient way to add more HDMI sources to the system.

muffinsarefood
05-12-2008, 07:16 PM
One word - Kuro.

That has to be the be the closest thing to being inside the film. I swear I though I was being shot at by Russian Mafia....

Seriously though such a nice TV it's ridiculous.

nightflier
05-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Is it just me or am I seeing a lot more LCDs than Plasmas for sale? Is Plasma going away?

RoadRunner6
05-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Nightflier.....Yes and no. LCD's come in many more sizes than plasmas (only 42" and above now). LCD's sell better in large brightly lighted store like Costco, etc. because the brightness translates to most customers incorrectly as a better picture. They don't realize that this level of brightness is very seldom necessary is most homes.

All things being equal, the plasmas are still slightly lower in price for the same size and still slighlty better in overall picture quality. Plasmas are definitely not going away.

To me the Panasonic plasma line is simply the best buy in top quality HD TV's for normal TV/movie sources in all but super bright environments.

f0rge
05-15-2008, 07:03 AM
i have a 50inch panny and i cannot say enough good things about it for both video games and movies, especially bluray. it's simply a stunning set. the blacks are amazing compared the LCD i have in the bedroom. so far burn-in has not been an issue, and i play A LOT of video games.

glare however, is a problem, even at night with just lamps on in the room. and i got the model with the anti-glare coating.

it's a tough choice you have there. in the end i went plasma for the picture quality, the LCDs i was looking at couldn't match it.

jarnold
05-25-2008, 09:38 PM
I just posted about my piece of shiot Sony with the Pink and Green Splotches that have developed after only about 1 1/2 years old. I have owned many sets and my last was 40" Mitsubshi the largest tube TV ever made and I sold it after owning it for 8 years with no problems. I buy what is supposed to be the best LCD HD TV and it now is a problem this fast. Whatever you buy get the extended warranty. I didn't and I am screwed. I think Mitsubishi and Hitachi make there own stuff. If you are thinking LCD I would think that Toshiba would be the best bet for longevity since they sell the best Laptops and their LCD screens last forever with allot of jostling around.

kuei
05-28-2008, 01:30 PM
WAIT...save your cash. The laser tv's are coming this year.

nightflier
05-28-2008, 04:14 PM
i have a 50inch panny and i cannot say enough good things about it for both video games and movies, especially bluray. it's simply a stunning set. the blacks are amazing compared the LCD i have in the bedroom. so far burn-in has not been an issue, and i play A LOT of video games.

glare however, is a problem, even at night with just lamps on in the room. and i got the model with the anti-glare coating.

it's a tough choice you have there. in the end i went plasma for the picture quality, the LCDs i was looking at couldn't match it.

I think the most important factor is how well the TV processes standard def video. I don't care so much about whether it's Plasma or LCD, aside from the fact that the Plasma's energy use and heat dissipation does tickle my green consciousness bone. But ultimately 90% of what I'll be watching, at least in the near future is standard def DVDs (I have a huge collection) and broadcast TV that isn't even trying to be 1080p (most of it is somewhere between 480p and 720p, not to mention horrid compression schemes). So the TV has to do a good job processing that mess and delivering it without too much motion lag, blurryness, and jagged edges all over the place.

As far as I've been able to tell, the best performance has been with 120Hz TVs. Plasma tends to soften the image too much and many of the less expensive models have lower specs all around. Apples-to-apples, 120Hz. LCD's are a bit more expensive than their Plasma competition, BTW. So the TV's I'm looking out for are:

- Olevia 747i with the Silicon Optics chip (~$1100 @ MicroCenter)
- Samsung LN-46A650 ($2299 @ BB)
- Philips 47PFL7403D/27 with 2ms (available nowhere - let me know if you find it)

There are others, but these are the most interesting. The Olevia because of the price, albeit w/o 120Hz and lots of glare, the Samsung because of features/specs, but wayyyy too pricey, and the Philips because of the 2ms response time, but it's not available anywhere even though it is supposed to be. Plasma is a fall-back option for me, but it will use 3x as much in electricity to own, not to mention that Plasma fades over time (yes, even the latest models).