Universal preparing to go Blu-ray [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Universal preparing to go Blu-ray

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Well, as I stated in the other thread, you are going to hear pretty quickly from the HD DVD exclusive on their transition to bluray. Surprisingly, Universal is the first, and quite frankly, I thought they would be the last to make this move.

At least one of the two studios exclusive to HD DVD is already gearing up to join the other team.

"While Universal values the close partnership we have shared with Toshiba, it is time to turn our focus to releasing new and catalog titles on Blu-ray," said Craig Kornblau, president of Universal Studios Home Entertainment.

"The path for widespread adoption of the next-generation platform has finally become clear. Universal will continue its aggressive efforts to broaden awareness for hi-def’s unparalleled offerings in interactivity and connectivity, at an increasingly affordable price. The emergence of a single, high-definition format is cause for consumers, as well as the entire entertainment industry, to celebrate."

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?article_id=12118

Woochifer
02-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Surprises me as well, given that Paramount and Dreamworks have got all those previously announced Blu-ray discs that they abruptly recalled from distribution last August and can easily reinsert into the pipeline. Things have moved quite quickly since Warner's announcement, and really picked up in the last week (and supposedly Netflix and Wal-Mart caught wind of Toshiba's withdrawal plans and took matters into their own hands before the schnitzel hit the fan).

Given how long the studios continued to support Betamax after its long fade out (Sony officially killed Beta in 2002, but Sony for all intents and purposes had already thrown up the white flag when they began producing VHS VCRs in 1988), I'm now wondering how much longer they will issue HD-DVD titles and if any of the titles already announced will get withdrawn. I'm just surprised at how quickly the bottom has fallen out for HD-DVD. I thought at the very least that the format would survive through the middle of the year, and then fade from visibility while titles and hardware continue to trickle out via niche markets.

kexodusc
02-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Given how long the studios continued to support Betamax after its long fade out (Sony officially killed Beta in 2002, but Sony for all intents and purposes had already thrown up the white flag when they began producing VHS VCRs in 1988), I'm now wondering how much longer they will issue HD-DVD titles and if any of the titles already announced will get withdrawn. I'm just surprised at how quickly the bottom has fallen out for HD-DVD. I thought at the very least that the format would survive through the middle of the year, and then fade from visibility while titles and hardware continue to trickle out via niche markets.
I had fully expected a slow, gradual widening of the gap between BluRay and HD-DVD with next Christmas season being the final last ditch effort on Toshiba's part. I think things caught Toshiba off guard too, or they wouldn't have wasted their efforts this past holiday season.

02-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Surprises me as well, given that Paramount and Dreamworks have got all those previously announced Blu-ray discs that they abruptly recalled from distribution last August and can easily reinsert into the pipeline. Things have moved quite quickly since Warner's announcement, and really picked up in the last week (and supposedly Netflix and Wal-Mart caught wind of Toshiba's withdrawal plans and took matters into their own hands before the schnitzel hit the fan).

Wooch, I knew something was up when at the last DVD forum meeting Ken Graffeo didn't mention a single thing about HD DVD. All through last year all Ken did was push the HD DVD agenda onto the forum over and over again, much to the displeasure of DVD forum members that were also a part of the BDA. However both Sally Jodi and Ken sat very quietly while business was conducted.

Paramount should make an announcement VERY soon, as in in a moment.

L.J.
02-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Paramount....come out, come out, where ever you are :cornut:

02-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Paramount....come out, come out, where ever you are :cornut:

They're coming. You will hear from them before the day is up. They are preparing a press release as we speak. They are running around like crazy folks here at Buena Vista!!

pixelthis
02-19-2008, 11:38 PM
[QUOTE=Sir Terrence the Terrible]Well, as I stated in the other thread, you are going to hear pretty quickly from the HD DVD exclusive on their transition to bluray. Surprisingly, Universal is the first, and quite frankly, I thought they would be the last to make this move.

And you were wrong as usual.
The only reason Universal made their lucrative exclusitivity deal was that they knew that
HD would die within a year, freeing them to do Bluray.
Anfd they still have the bribe paid them by tosh.
Very smart.
And certainly smarter than you

WOULDNT SURPRIZE me to find out that universal has been prepping for Blu for awhile.
Probably surprize you though.
Finding out that eight track is dead would probably surprize you:1:

pixelthis
02-19-2008, 11:42 PM
I remember micheal BAY complaining about transformers being limited to HD.
But he changed his tune in a hurry.
probably had it changed by a bunch of execs who sat him down in a little room and told him to be patient, things would change in a year.
In other words they told him the score.
AT LEAST THATS HOW IT PROBABLY WENT DOWN

02-20-2008, 09:13 AM
And you were wrong as usual.
The only reason Universal made their lucrative exclusitivity deal was that they knew that
Very smart.

WOULDNT SURPRIZE me to find out that universal has been prepping for Blu for awhile.
Finding out that eight track is dead would probably surprize you:1:[/QUOTE]

Wrong as usual?

I suppose I was wrong when I said a certain large studio was going blu exclusive two weeks before they made the announcement? Thanks Warner.

I suppose I was wrong when I said Universal had been touring bluray replication plants for over a year.

I suppose I was wrong when I said this thing was going to be decided right after the Christmas season.

I suppose I was wrong when I said this war was over after the Walmart announcement.

I have been right many more times than wrong, and you have been the opposite. You ride on the coat tails of news. I tell it before its public because I work in the field the news is generated from, you shovel $hit on a pig farm.

Since you do not attend DVD forum meetings, I do not think you know the motivations of Universal. I did not expect Universal to announce bluray support before Paramount because of Universal's VERY cozy relationship with Toshiba. Ken and Sally are very tight with one another, and I see that at the meetings. That is why I expected Paramount to announce support first, they have a business relationship only, and with Toshiba embarrasing them so bad, I would have expect they would want to end this relationship as quickly as they could. When Universal signed up as an exclusive, Toshiba thought they had this war in the bag, made alot of promises, and broke them all. Universal got shafted in the Paramount deal, Paramount got embarassed by Toshiba because they were made alot of promises, and couldn't deliver.

I think it is pretty disengenous of you to come after the fact pretending like you know the inner workings of the industry, when you in fact do not. You have had your face in the donkey's butt on this entire issue, not staring the donkey in the face.

02-20-2008, 09:26 AM
I remember micheal BAY complaining about transformers being limited to HD.
But he changed his tune in a hurry.
probably had it changed by a bunch of execs who sat him down in a little room and told him to be patient, things would change in a year.
In other words they told him the score.
AT LEAST THATS HOW IT PROBABLY WENT DOWN

Another moonshine moment here. Having geriatric dreams again pixeless?

Hairsonfire
02-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Wow, remind me not to annoy you T! Just a thought - do you think that the available HDDVD titles are bound to get drastically less expensive given the latest news? I finally got tired of waiting and invested in both formats about two months ago. Of course, now they announce this!

02-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Wow, remind me not to annoy you T! Just a thought - do you think that the available HDDVD titles are bound to get drastically less expensive given the latest news? I finally got tired of waiting and invested in both formats about two months ago. Of course, now they announce this!

There is no way you can annoy me, you are cool, Pixel is an idiot.

I would think you could go on Amazon and find lots of good deals on discs. I would think just about everywhere would be trying to clean out stock now that the format is done. I think the only thing that will increase in price is the XA-2. The price of that player has already gone up big time. Fish around the net, I am sure you can find deals. I personally would not bother. The disc released exclusively to HD DVD will be on Bluray in very short order. I suspect(and am hearing from my sources at Paramount) that Both Transformers and Shrek will be re-encoded, and both will have Dolby TrueHD tracks on them as well.

I know that a great deal of Universal catalog released to HD DVD will have to be remastered. Their current condition will not allow Universal to compete with other studios on a level playing field. I would just wait for Universal titles to start appearing on bluray, they will look better because they'll be re-encoded with better features.

Rich-n-Texas
02-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Another moon shine moment here. Having geriatric dreams again pixeless?
I think moonshine is one word Sir T, nevertheless both lines were absolutely hilarious! And I think you're the first to use "pixeless". :lol:

Priceless post. :thumbsup:

02-20-2008, 12:00 PM
I think moonshine is one word Sir T, nevertheless both lines were absolutely hilarious! And I think you're the first to use "pixeless". :lol:

Priceless post. :thumbsup:

Sorry Rich, I have no experience spelling hick langauge. And Pix has no experience beyond the third grade.

pixelthis
02-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Sorry Rich, I have no experience spelling hick langauge. And Pix has no experience beyond the third grade.

At least I MADE IT that FAR .
AND of course you have no experience spelling "hick" language, or any other, really.
And now you have the gall to take credit for a bunch of stuf that was on the net when you "announced" it.
Who is this "industry source" of yours? Google?
More than likely:1:

pixelthis
02-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Sir Terrence the Terrible]And you were wrong as usual.
Very smart.

Finding out that eight track is dead would probably surprize you:1:[/QUOTE]

Wrong as usual?

I suppose I was wrong when I said a certain large studio was going blu exclusive two weeks before they made the announcement? Thanks Warner.

Common knowledge

I suppose I was wrong when I said Universal had been touring bluray replication plants for over a year.

Means nothing, when I worked at JVC we had industry touirs all the time

I suppose I was wrong when I said this thing was going to be decided right after the Christmas season.

Like you needed a crystal ball to see THAT coming
I said the same thing BTW

I suppose I was wrong when I said this war was over after the Walmart announcement.

Just stating the obvious

I have been right many more times than wrong, and you have been the opposite. You ride on the coat tails of news. I tell it before its public because I work in the field the news is generated from, you shovel $hit on a pig farm.

Loading a truck at a disc pressing plant doesnt make you an "insider"

Since you do not attend DVD forum meetings, I do not think you know the motivations of Universal. I did not expect Universal to announce bluray support before Paramount because of Universal's VERY cozy relationship with Toshiba. Ken and Sally are very tight with one another, and I see that at the meetings. That is why I expected Paramount to announce support first, they have a business relationship only, and with Toshiba embarrasing them so bad, I would have expect they would want to end this relationship as quickly as they could. When Universal signed up as an exclusive, Toshiba thought they had this war in the bag, made alot of promises, and broke them all. Universal got shafted in the Paramount deal, Paramount got embarassed by Toshiba because they were made alot of promises, and couldn't deliver.

Even if you do attend such meetings I doubt if it does you any good, since you understand very little about human nature or anything else

I think it is pretty disengenous of you to come after the fact pretending like you know the inner workings of the industry, when you in fact do not. You have had your face in the donkey's butt on this entire issue, not staring the donkey in the face.[/QUOTE]

SORRY but that isnt me with the face in your butt, maybe its your boyfriend

DANG Sir talky you sure are tense.
Go drink some more hair tonic :1:

GMichael
02-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Sir Terrence the Terrible]And you were wrong as usual.
Very smart.

Finding out that eight track is dead would probably surprize you:1
Wrong as usual?

Common knowledge

Means nothing, when I worked at JVC we had industry touirs all the time

Like you needed a crystal ball to see THAT coming
I said the same thing BTW

Just stating the obvious

Loading a truck at a disc pressing plant doesnt make you an "insider"

Even if you do attend such meetings I doubt if it does you any good, since you understand very little about human nature or anything else

I think it is pretty disengenous of you to come after the fact pretending like you know the inner workings of the industry, when you in fact do not. You have had your face in the donkey's butt on this entire issue, not staring the donkey in the face.

SORRY but that isnt me with the face in your butt, maybe its your boyfriend

DANG Sir talky you sure are tense.
Go drink some more hair tonic :1:

Please fix your quotes. I can't tell who's saying what here.

pixelthis
02-21-2008, 02:27 PM

THE NONSENSE AND THE BLATANTLY OBVIOUS is Sir talky.
THE REST IS ME.
But really, to say that the wars "over" when Walmart dropped HD, you just can't buy that kind of juicy "insider" info!:1:

E-Stat
02-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Geez guys, this one is turning into another death spiral. HD-DVD is dead. Blu-Ray won. Ok?

rw

02-21-2008, 06:26 PM
THE NONSENSE AND THE BLATANTLY OBVIOUS is Sir talky.
THE REST IS ME.
But really, to say that the wars "over" when Walmart dropped HD, you just can't buy that kind of juicy "insider" info!:1:

Please do not admonish anyone else about their reading skills. I said the war was over after the Warner announcement, not when your place of employment decided.

02-21-2008, 06:27 PM

When your typing with hoofs instead of hands I guess this is the best we are going to get in terms of clarity.

02-21-2008, 06:30 PM
At least I MADE IT that FAR .
AND of course you have no experience spelling "hick" language, or any other, really.
And now you have the gall to take credit for a bunch of stuf that was on the net when you "announced" it.
Who is this "industry source" of yours? Google?
More than likely:1:

Nothing I announced was on the net when I announced it. So are you going to take nightliar place as the biggest liar on this forum? You already are the most retarded, you trying to add another badge over your pacemaker?

You can't even read google so you must have heard about it from the sheep you herd.

pixelthis
02-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Geez guys, this one is turning into another death spiral. HD-DVD is dead. Blu-Ray won. Ok?

rw

MY POINT EXACTLY.
So why post a thread about universal or paramount or anybody else "going" Blu ray?
HELL, there aint nothing else!
Truth is I actually agree a lot with sir talky, but hes' so pompous and arrogant
(when he really has no right to be) that it just irks me:1: