Prog/Metal, and either or, should check out Pathosray [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Prog/Metal, and either or, should check out Pathosray

Mr Peabody
02-18-2008, 09:41 PM
Wow, what a great debut album from Italy's Pathosray. They have an insert on the outside of the jewel case that compares them to Symphony X and Nevermore. They are definitely not as hard as Nevermore and even though Pathosray rocks I still don't think they are as hard as Symphony X. The core Metal sound strikes me as an 80's style with keys and guitar skillfully woven in to give the songs a nice Prog touch. You will find this album more Progressive than Paradise Lost. This album has the double kick drum but no growling vocals or thrashing guitar. In fact, the vocals go from a rough R&R to a higher pitch 80's Metal style. There are some outstanding tracks on this album that if given a chance I feel could give the band some commercial success. I like the entire album but Scent of Snow, Sorrow Never Dies and the last track Emerald City really stand out. The short acoustic piano intro to the album is beautiful, I'd buy an album of just that type of playing. Later in the album there is a song 1:39 that is so good I can't believe it wasn't expanded into a full length track. I like the fact that the songs transitions are seamless, the songs flow very nicely and the lead parts come in and out smoothly. All the band members play off one another very well and no one instrument dominates a song or the album. Most songs are melodic in their assault and the lyrical choruses are..... well I hate to say catchy for this type of album but they do get stuck in my head. I can hear several influences in the band but no one really comes to mind as a good comparison so check it out and let me know what you think.

ForeverAutumn
02-19-2008, 06:02 AM
Wow. Great review Mr. PB. I'll definately check this out. Thanks!

Mr Peabody
02-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks. I usually dont' think I do a good job on reviews, maybe it just takes an album to inspire the thought.