Connecting Sony XBR4 to Comcast DVR and Sony STR-DG710 Receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Sony XBR4 to Comcast DVR and Sony STR-DG710 Receiver

skimeister
02-18-2008, 12:28 PM
I need help in trying to connect all these componets together so that I can use the surround sound that that is already installed. Cuurently I have the Comcast DVR connected directly to the TV via HDMI 1. This Only allows me to use the speakers the TV speakers. The AV Receiver has 2 HDMI inputs one for a DVD player and the other for Blu-Ray. It only has one HDMI out for the TV. My Sony Upconvert DVD player is connect to the HDMI port label DVD IN on the AVR and an HDMI cable going from the AVR HDMI TV out to the HDMI 3 port on the TV. Using multiple remotes, I am able to get the DVD player to paly with Surround sound, but have to switch the HDMI ports on the TV to get working. A lot of steps. There must be a much easier way.

I have tried mutliple configurations with little or no success. Help, asi would really like to enjoy listening to the TV in surround sound.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

elapsed
02-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Welcome to AR :)

Do you really need both a DVD player and Blu-Ray Player? Your Blu-Ray player should do a good job upconverting your DVD's for you. I would connect the system as follows:

Blu-Ray HDMI Output ===> AVR HDMI Input
Blu-Ray Optical Audio Output ===> AVR Optical Audio Input
DVR HDMI Output ===> AVR HDMI Input
DVR Optical Audio Output ===> AVR Optical Audio Input
AVR HDMI Output ===> HDTV HDMI Input

And if you need to connect a third HDMI source I would purchase an HDMI switch from Monoprice and use the remaining digital coax input on your AVR

skimeister
02-18-2008, 03:10 PM
I only have a up convert DVD player. The Blue-ray HDMI Port is still open. When I used the DVD HDMI port as the input from the DVR, I was able to have the surround sound work, but on a limited basis. On certain programs and commericals, the center channel would drop out, just having limited audio from the front speakers. Also the display on the AVR said DVD player. When switched to the TV display on the AVR no TV display or audio. The AVR doe not have a direct HDMI in port for the TV.

Hope this helps in trying to come up with a proper cabling configuration.

Thanks for the help.

elapsed
02-18-2008, 04:39 PM
I only have a up convert DVD player. The Blue-ray HDMI Port is still open. When I used the DVD HDMI port as the input from the DVR, I was able to have the surround sound work, but on a limited basis. On certain programs and commericals, the center channel would drop out, just having limited audio from the front speakers.
Some channels and programs are 2.0 stereo, others are DD5.1. This is to be expected.

Also the display on the AVR said DVD player.
The HDMI port is just labeled as DVD. The AVR isn't smart enough to know if you have your DVD player or your DVR plugged in. Nothing to worry about.

When switched to the TV display on the AVR no TV display or audio. The AVR doe not have a direct HDMI in port for the TV.
Try cabling your system like I recommended in my last post, this will resolve all of the issues.

pixelthis
02-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Listen to the man.
And hes' right about Monoprice also, and their HDMI cables, while cheap, arent half bad,
either:1:

Cram
03-06-2008, 08:09 AM
Hi, also new to forum and HDMI.
I have:
Sony DVD-HDD with HDMI output, Optical Audio Output, Composites Out and In and Component Out

Sony AV Receiver with 2 HDMI inputs - marked DVD-In and BR/Video2 In for BlueRay.
1 Optical Audio in, Component Out and In and Composites Out and In.

Connecting DVD to AVR with Optical cable and Composite Video (Yellow Cable) no problem, but I cannot get audio or video using the HDMI cable (removed all other cables).

Any ideas why HDMI not working?

Why did you recommend connecting :
DVR HDMI Output ===> AVR HDMI Input
DVR Optical Audio Output ===> AVR Optical Audio Input

Surely the HDMI is good enough for both Audio and Video?

Thanx