The 2 hour Ford Mustang Commercial [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The 2 hour Ford Mustang Commercial

Rich-n-Texas
02-18-2008, 08:41 AM
:frown2:

I watched the latest spin of Knight Rider last night (you remember, the show with the talking TRANS AM) and I'll tell ya, this is the first TV show I've ever watched where the commercials blended in seamlessly with the actual program. The acting was pitiful, and the plot was sooooo predictable. The only highlight of the entire disaster was the first chase scene where Kit (a Mustang GT 500 Slobra) couldn't outrun the baddies in the Ford Edge Crossover. Now THAT was funny. At the end of the show I was so glad to see Michael Knight make an appearance at the funeral (Too bad it wasn't the show's funeral :rolleyes: ).

Anybody else want to share their horror story?

JohnMichael
02-18-2008, 08:57 AM
I did like the young actor. Well not enough to watch much of the show. Is creativity so dead that we have to rehash these old shows. Now if they brought back My Mother the Car we would have a hit.

GMichael
02-18-2008, 09:02 AM
I made the mistake of getting the wife to watch it with me. I thought is was going to be half way decent. Not so much. And now, she LIKES it. Nothing against Ford, but how many times are they going to put down TA's?

Rich-n-Texas
02-18-2008, 09:06 AM
I'm soooooooo hoping Topspeed'll soon post in this thread! :ihih:

GMichael
02-18-2008, 09:09 AM
While, a talking car may have been a shock in the 80's, why would anyone be shocked by it today? It's like the Get Smart syndrome. Sure, a ringing shoe was crazy in the 60's, but today, everything rings.

Rich-n-Texas
02-18-2008, 09:29 AM
I think they used the writers from Ford Motor Company. Or were they marketing reps???

Now if they brought back My Mother the Car we would have a hit.
Ya know, I vaguely remember that show, but the title seems to be the only thing I remember about it.

musicman1999
02-18-2008, 09:49 AM
I hope that will not become a trend with the blending of show and commercial, that was terrible.

bill

Rich-n-Texas
02-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I thought infomercials were generally only about a 1/2 hour long.

Worf101
02-19-2008, 04:37 AM
You don't have to have a big nose to know a turd when you smell it. I avoided this crap. I love cars, love Fords own a classic 1956 Ford T-Bird and even I wouldn't watch this chit. Don't know how you boys got suckered so easy. I despised the original, may have watched 1 or 2 episodes, put it right down there with "The Dukes of Hazard" and "Charlies Angels". Sorry, just never could stomach the crap, let alone regurgitated crap.

Da Worfster

kexodusc
02-19-2008, 04:50 AM
I haven't watched it yet, but it's sitting on my PVR...

Guys, is it really that bad? I'll be heartbroken if it is. I had hopes it would half way decent. But somehow, I suspected it would end up sucking. Remakes and rehashes rareley work, Battlestar Galactica being the exception.

So, watch it, or delete? Be honest....

GMichael
02-19-2008, 06:06 AM
I haven't watched it yet, but it's sitting on my PVR...

Guys, is it really that bad? I'll be heartbroken if it is. I had hopes it would half way decent. But somehow, I suspected it would end up sucking. Remakes and rehashes rareley work, Battlestar Galactica being the exception.

So, watch it, or delete? Be honest....

Misery loves company. You should watch it and take notes for us. Tell us what happened to, "conservation of momentum."

Rich-n-Texas
02-19-2008, 07:29 AM
Take what you may from it Kex. Personaly I resent being made to sit through a 2 hour show that so blatently pushes a companies product but thinks the audience doesn't realize what's going on. But that's my beef with network TV in general. We're all just blind mice in the eyes of network execs.

Neilson ratings? What Neilson ratings?

topspeed
02-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Sorry Rich, I didn't even know it was on. If it was at the 9:00pm slot, I was watching Terminator:TSCC. I didn't watch the original and honestly see no reason to watch the regurgitated version either.

I mentioned in Kex's thread that I don't understand NBC's infatuation with reviving shows from the '80's. If they are supposed to appeal to Generation X'ers, such as myself, they are failing miserably. If I want to see a Cobra flung around, I'll watch Top Gear (which is infinitely more entertaining anyway).

There's only one good thing about this show's revival:

THE HOFF!!!
http://www.nbc.com/Knight_Rider/images/photos/scet/1644/NUP_115809_0148.jpg

This ain't bad either...
http://www.nbc.com/Knight_Rider/images/photos/scet/1644/NUP_115809_0071.jpg

bobsticks
02-19-2008, 10:13 AM
I would've prefered 2 hours at the Mustang Ranch.

Rich-n-Texas
02-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Nice. Nice job Speedy.:incazzato: That's NOT how you were supposed to respond!!! I had my Ford Howitzer all cocked and loaded waiting for your relentless GM bashing! :incazzato:

Jerk!!!

And knock it off with the girly pics will ya?!?!?! You know dam well what my current situation is!

KR was on Sunday night, TSCC was on last night. And BTW, I'm becoming a bit suspicious of Cameron. :sosp:

GMichael
02-19-2008, 10:47 AM
I like the pics Top. Keep'em coming.:ihih:

Rich-n-Texas
02-19-2008, 11:07 AM
Right on que GM! Yer soooooo eazy.:ciappa:

GMichael
02-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Maybe, but you still can't have me.

topspeed
02-19-2008, 11:41 AM
For the record, I don't GM bash. I simply stated that fact that the F car hasn't been in production for a while now while the Mustang merrily marches on to the tune of 160,000 sales per year. It's too bad the financing numbers on the Shelby are so crappy, I could have bought a white w/ blue stripe GT500 @ msrp. That's saying something considering they are still (unbelievably) fetching $15k over. Honestly, if the Camaro was out, I'd have a black one in my garage. Truth.

And BTW, I'm becoming a bit suspicious of Cameron. No doubt. Why would she put the chip in her pocket? Plus, she mentioned that some of them turn, but they don't know why?

Hmmm...

Rich-n-Texas
02-19-2008, 12:14 PM
For the record, I don't GM bash. I simply stated that fact that the F car hasn't been in production for a while now while the Mustang merrily marches on to the tune of 160,000 sales per year. It's too bad the financing numbers on the Shelby are so crappy, I could have bought a white w/ blue stripe GT500 @ msrp. That's saying something considering they are still (unbelievably) fetching $15k over. Honestly, if the Camaro was out, I'd have a black one in my garage. Truth.
Funny, I saw a blue Cobra with white stripe yesterday at lunch, still with dealer tags on it. It's like somebody watched the show then went right to the dealer and bought one. Ironic. It sure was one sweet lookin ride.

No doubt. Why would she put the chip in her pocket? Plus, she mentioned that some of them turn, but they don't know why?

Hmmm...
It would suck if she got killed off. She's a hot little number with lips just made for....... well, nevermind.

GMichael
02-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Is this morphing into a Terminator thread? Put me down as a Summer fan as well.

Rich-n-Texas
02-19-2008, 12:45 PM
I guess it is. That's fine since I started it anyway.

MAN is she a sweet young thang er what?

GMichael
02-19-2008, 12:55 PM
She was my favorite character from Serenity/Firefly. Got to love a hot chick/killing machine.

Rich-n-Texas
02-19-2008, 01:05 PM
She was my favorite character from Serenity/Firefly. Got to love a hot chick/killing machine.
Uma in "Kill Bill" pops into my head. She's baaaaaad aaaasssss!

dean_martin
02-19-2008, 01:42 PM

My wife and I turned over our vehicles in January. Our kids are off at college - no need for an suv anymore. I went a little more conservative, but wifey was a Mustang girl before we got married. She gave up her Mustang to drive the "family" vehicle. So...I did a little research and discovered the Mustang GT/California Special. The original CS was sold exclusively in Cal. in '67 & '68.

Ours qualified for the FMC special financing rates and/or current rebates. We were able to locate the one that had everything we wanted - ext. color, interior colors (2-toned), etc.

SlumpBuster
02-19-2008, 01:50 PM
I got a horror story.

As some of you may know, I was born and raised in Detroit and come from GM and Ford families. Throw in the fact that my wife use to work for Bosch (read: Audi) and I am a truly confused man. I simultaneously lust after the Mustang, the Camaro and the A8L.

But, I was in grade school when Knight Rider was originally on. Ever since, I have wanted a third generation Camaro. I know KITT was a Trans-Am, but the IROC is much more stylin'. Alas, it was never to be. My teens and 20s were spent IROCless. So, jump to the present and third generations in good stock condition can be had for as little as $4,000.00, with IROCs going for a bit more. "Sweet adulthood!" I thought. I'm finally getting an IROC. Yeah, so turns out I never really paid attention to what was under the hoods of those things. Apparently GM had a bunch of hamsters and wheels to get rid of, so they loaded them into the third generation F cars. My Saturn has more horsepower and torque than any third generation stock Camaro including the IROCS. My wife's Buick has more horsepower! And, for the car nuts that know why the 3rd gen was so aneamic, I do too. At least, now I do.

Long story short (too late), I'm cruising Ebay looking for project Jeep Wranglers, instead. Who needs pavement anyway?

bobsticks
02-19-2008, 02:13 PM
My wife and I turned over our vehicles in January. Our kids are off at college - no need for an suv anymore. I went a little more conservative, but wifey was a Mustang girl before we got married. She gave up her Mustang to drive the "family" vehicle. So...I did a little research and discovered the Mustang GT/California Special. The original CS was sold exclusively in Cal. in '67 & '68.

Ours qualified for the FMC special financing rates and/or current rebates. We were able to locate the one that had everything we wanted - ext. color, interior colors (2-toned), etc.

Just too sweet, deano.

dean_martin
02-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Just too sweet, deano.

Thanks, bob. That's probably the most exciting thing we've done for ourselves in a long time.

bobsticks
02-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Ya gotta remind yourself why you get out of bed every morning...

Rich-n-Texas
02-20-2008, 06:49 AM
I'm soooooooo hoping Topspeed'll soon post in this thread! :ihih:
Dammit! I got a greenie from speedy for this one. :mad2:

GMichael
02-20-2008, 06:58 AM
Dammit! I got a greenie from speedy for this one. :mad2:
Hey look. You're in the rough now.

Rich-n-Texas
02-20-2008, 07:01 AM
I might as well just kill myself now and get it over with.... Uh oh, looks like the anti-psycho drugs ain't working. :nonod:

GMichael
02-20-2008, 07:02 AM
Maybe you just need a stronger dosage.

topspeed
02-20-2008, 11:44 AM

Very nice, Dino! That is a seriously hot ride!

I wish my wife was more like yours. I've been a fan of the latest gen from the moment I saw the concept car at the show. Unfortunately, she's put the kibosh on any chance of me getting one despite my reasoned arguments (it's American made, it has to be more reliable than the M, easy to mod, reasonably priced, blahblahblah). It all falls on deaf ears. For whatever reason, they just don't do it for her. :(

Thanks, bob. That's probably the most exciting thing we've done for ourselves in a long time.Hey, I'm as devout a gearhead as they come, but I'm sure there's something you've done recently that was more exciting! :ihih:

Rich-n-Texas
02-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Very nice, Dino! That is a seriously hot ride!

I wish my wife was more like yours. I've been a fan of the latest gen from the moment I saw the concept car at the show. Unfortunately, she's put the kibosh on any chance of me getting one despite my reasoned arguments (it's American made, it has to be more reliable than the M, easy to mod, reasonably priced, blahblahblah). It all falls on deaf ears. For whatever reason, they just don't do it for her. :( :ihih:
Oh that's going to win you lots of points! :hand:

Kam
02-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks, bob. That's probably the most exciting thing we've done for ourselves in a long time.

pics!! let's see this badboy!! er.. badgirl!

dean_martin
02-20-2008, 03:07 PM
just for you, Kam. Speedy has me tongue-tied. I thought I said "for ourselves" not "to ourselves"...ugghh...I'm gonna get myself in trouble.

My wife is the photographer. Here are some shots from a roadtrip we took the day after getting the 'stang:

dean_martin
02-20-2008, 03:11 PM
And one more while stopped at an abandoned school.

Kam
02-20-2008, 03:14 PM
just for you, Kam. Speedy has me tongue-tied. I thought I said "for ourselves" not "to ourselves"...ugghh...I'm gonna get myself in trouble.

My wife is the photographer. Here are some shots from a roadtrip we took the day after getting the 'stang:

oooooooooooo that's a perrrty red!!

3-LockBox
02-21-2008, 12:40 AM
:frown2:

The acting was pitiful, and the plot was sooooo predictable.

So, yer saying it was just like the original show. Its just like when people lament the remakes of other TV shows, like the movie versions of Mod Squad and Dukes Of Hazard, saying that the script is flimsy and the acting terrible. But what could you expect?

You can't pollish a turd.

Rich-n-Texas
03-09-2008, 03:22 AM
Has there been another episode of this show? It's been over three weeks since it's debut right? :sosp:

kexodusc
03-09-2008, 04:46 AM
Pretty sure this was just a 1 off special, not a TV series, Rich.

If it's as bad as you guys say, good riddance. I have such fond memories of the original series that I couldn't bring myself to watch this one.

topspeed
03-13-2008, 10:11 AM
And one more while stopped at an abandoned school.
That's smokin'!!! :cool:

dean_martin
03-13-2008, 02:47 PM
That's smokin'!!! :cool:

Thanks, speedy. My only regret is that we've only made the one real road trip so far. Driving it to and from work (when it's my turn to drive it) is just enough to piss me off. So far, I've been pleasantly surprised by the build quality and performance of the 'stang. The CS package may be a little extravagant, but it sure is sweet!

We're taking it to check out the Georgia Wine Highway Tour at the end of this month for our anniversary. Here's a link that includes some info. http://www.georgiawine.com/calendar.html

Sporty red car going from winery to winery...hmmm...might as well wear a Georgia Highway Patrol target on my ass.

Rich-n-Texas
09-08-2008, 08:38 AM
I assume everyone IS aware that "Knight Rider" is now a series that starts in a couple of weeks right?

And "Terminator: TSCC" starts tonite! :thumbsup:

GMichael
09-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Looking good!

Rich-n-Texas
09-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Cameron's got a big gun!!!

Auricauricle
09-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Take what you may from it Kex. Personaly I resent being made to sit through a 2 hour show that so blatently pushes a companies product but thinks the audience doesn't realize what's going on. But that's my beef with network TV in general. We're all just blind mice in the eyes of network execs.

Uhh, no offense, friend, but WAKE UP!!

Product endorsement is here to stay, duder....Take a good look at the shows and pay attention to the sponsors. You'd be amazed.

Sweet rides, everybody. I had a '68 'Stang before somebody hit my rear and made the quarterpanels look like an accordion....

Rich-n-Texas
09-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Uhh, no offense, friend, but WAKE UP!!

Product endorsement is here to stay, duder....Take a good look at the shows and pay attention to the sponsors. You'd be amazed.
Disgusted would probably be a better word. All I got out of that "pilot" show was that it was a big advertisement for the Mustang. While it did have a plot ( :rolleyes: ) it came across to me as a 2 hr. Ford commercial.

I know advertising is a way of life in this Capitalist society, but that doesn't mean I have to like it, or watch it.

Sweet rides, everybody. I had a '68 'Stang before somebody hit my rear and made the quarterpanels look like an accordion....
Too bad. What kind of 'stang was it?

ForeverAutumn
09-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Disgusted would probably be a better word. All I got out of that "pilot" show was that it was a big advertisement for the Mustang. While it did have a plot ( :rolleyes: ) it came across to me as a 2 hr. Ford commercial.

I know advertising is a way of life in this Capitalist society, but that doesn't mean I have to like it, or watch it.

So true. Stay away from that Terminator show, it'll just be full of commercial breaks anyway. Cozy up with a good book instead. Want some recommendations?

:)

Rich-n-Texas
09-08-2008, 12:26 PM
So true. Stay away from that Terminator show, it'll just be full of commercial breaks anyway. Cozy up with a good book instead. Want some recommendations?

:)
I am NOT going to answer that question! It's a trick. I just know it! :nonod:

ForeverAutumn
09-08-2008, 12:42 PM
It's really not. Check these out and see if any of them interest you. They're just a few of my favourites...

Watership Down by Richard Adams
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
Shane by Jack Schaefer
Mystic River by Dennis Lehane

No tricks, I promise.

Auricauricle
09-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Have you seen the latest shills for books that sound like movie promos? "And now, the latest from Ernest Hemmingway....He was an Old Man; she was a Sea....Together they were inseparable....Coming soon, to a bookstore near you: "The Old Man and the Sea! read it today...!" Some such like that....

Auricauricle
09-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Too bad. What kind of 'stang was it?

Sorry: Typo. She was a '66....Standard...Sort like this beauty, only not as purty. Kinda like the diamond in the rough....

GMichael
09-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Sorry: Typo. She was a '66....Standard...Sort like this beauty, only not as purty. Kinda like the diamond in the rough....
I drove a 65 convert for a few weeks that looked a little like this one. Had a 302 I think. Wasn't crazy fast, but it sure was fun to drive.

This isn't it, but it was this color.

nightflier
09-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Did somebody mention Audi? I used to drive an A4-6cyl that was just indestructible and the AWD was incredibly good. But when I went to upgrade, test-driving the A6 and A8, they were disappointments all around and way too expensive in my book. I switched to Saab and never looked back. Yes, I had to give up a little performance, but that company's been able to squeeze more HP out of 4 cyl, than any other car company I know, and the mileage is great. Skip the wanabe SUV, though, it's a kluge. Granted, it isn't packing as many wild-bucking thoroughbreds under the hood, but it's still pushing 250 ft/lb of torque at low RPMs and it's is a much more comfortable ride. All in all, the engineering is top-notch, the 12-speaker surround sound system is great, and it cruises at 130mph in eerie silence. So while I'm sure there are other cars that can get up there in a much shorter time, the key is how much they rattle and shake at that level of performance. I haven't driven many American cars that can do that (actually the Corvette was pretty friggin' fast, but it didn't feel very solid).

Regarding the TV shows, I'm actually not watching any TV this fall. Actually given that this is an election year, I'm watching more than usual, but avoiding the shows as much as possible. I sold my PVR and if there's anything I will want to see, I'll buy it on DVD after the season's over, usually second-hand. So far, I've been able to buy most shows for less than I've resold them. And not only does it have no commercials, but I can pause/rew at will and the sound is better. Some of these I watch online at work, but for the most part I buy them. Here's a current list of my favs:

- 24 (that's a no-brainer)
- Jericho (too bad that had to end)
- 4400 (abrupt ending as well, but it has the Serenity/TSCC chick in it)
- BSG (a little campy, but otherwise pretty fracking good)
- Californication (OK, that's a pretty crass show, but the writing is top notch)
- Rome (I kept these - I'm a history buff)
- Dexter (just interested for now, but I'll probably buy it too)
- Criminal Minds (some of the shows are friggin nightmarish)
- The Unit (it's ah-'ight, not the best, but we're hooked)
- My Name is Earl (was a fan of Jay and Silent Bob, so that was a natural fit)
- Dirty Jobs (it's a sick obsession, I know)
- 30 days (hey I liked Spurlock's burger flick, and it's a pretty good show)

Sorry, I'm not a fan of TSCC - the acting is just way too pathetic. I only saw a few of the shows, but I couldn't sit through the rest.

Knight Rider? Yeah fat chance I would waste my time. I'd rather spend the evening delapidating my nose one hair at a time than sit through that drivel.

Rich-n-Texas
09-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Did somebody mention Audi?
Uhhh... NO! :biggrin5:

My beast...

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/My%20cars/Formula1.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/My%20cars/CarTestPicture.jpg

And just for you GM...

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/My%20cars/6_24HootersGirlwMRMFormula.jpg

The girl on the right wanted to marry me, but after 4 - 5 beers, I got her to confess that it was because of my car. :nono:

kexodusc
09-09-2008, 04:10 AM
I would have gone through with it Rich...:arf:

Rich-n-Texas
09-09-2008, 04:24 AM
I don't like short hair. I like long hair. :yesnod:

GMichael
09-09-2008, 05:16 AM
I don't like short hair. I like long hair. :yesnod:

You could just deal with it for a night right?

Nice ride by the way. I've always liked the looks of a Firebird. (Most any model or year)

Rich-n-Texas
09-09-2008, 05:42 AM
You could just deal with it for a night right?
Or two. Or ten. Or 20, possibly 30.:idea:

Nice ride by the way. I've always liked the looks of a Firebird. (Most any model or year)
Thanks. I wish it still looked like that after the 8 years that I've owned it. I no longer race or show it; it's become more of a daily driver, but I plan on keeping it for the foreseable future and I'm slowly gathering the inspiration to bring it back to a reasonable facsimile of its former self.

Auricauricle
09-09-2008, 08:19 AM
Yer....dethPICable!

Rich-n-Texas
09-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Yer....dethPICable!
I don't know why.

Auricauricle
09-09-2008, 10:17 AM
I can think of at least six reasons...

Rich-n-Texas
09-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Six Hooters girls?

Oooooohhh...wait a minute!!! :ihih:

nightflier
09-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Uhhh... NO! :biggrin5:

Way to make a guy feel welcome, Rich. :sosp:

For the record, Slump mentioned Audi and the A8L. Since that is certainly a high-performance vehicle able to keep up even with Firebirds and Mustangs, top end, I thought it would be appropriate. Granted, neither the A8L nor the Saab Aero are Detroit muscle cars, but they do have their positive points.

Anyhoo, carry on with the Hooter girls discussion...

Rich-n-Texas
09-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Way to make a guy feel welcome, Rich. :sosp:
:D = My attempt at smart-assedness. :smilewinkgrin:

For the record, Slump mentioned Audi and the A8L. Since that is certainly a high-performance vehicle able to keep up even with Firebirds and Mustangs, top end, I thought it would be appropriate. Granted, neither the A8L nor the Saab Aero are Detroit muscle cars, but they do have their positive points.
The Pontiac G8 GT was designed to compete with the European sport sedans such as the BMW (not sure which series) and I'd suspect the Audi A8 as well. The G8 platform is actually based on the Holden Commodore. Holden is the Australian division of GM. The GTO, which I (and a lot of others) didn't like at all was also part of the Commodore platform.

The '09 G8 GT boasts a 6.0 liter, 361 hp motor with a 6 speed auto trans. This one is my ace in the hole, and provided gas prices are reasonable next year, may end up occupying space in my garage.

Anyhoo, carry on with the Hooter girls discussion...
Been a long time since I've gone to Hooters. Maybe there's a Hooters girl there with Daddy issues. :ihih:

nightflier
09-11-2008, 09:55 AM
The Pontiac G8 GT was designed to compete with the European sport sedans such as the BMW (not sure which series) and I'd suspect the Audi A8 as well. The G8 platform is actually based on the Holden Commodore. Holden is the Australian division of GM. The GTO, which I (and a lot of others) didn't like at all was also part of the Commodore platform.

I think Audi would like to think of the A8 as being more along the lines of the Mercedes S class and BMW 7 series, and with performance that is supposed to be equally impressive. But somehow, when I test drove it, I didn't get the sense that it was comparable - it seems sluggish and lumbering compared to it's classmates. The BMW 5M, by the way, is very impressive, almost large enough for family and kids, and, if you can find it, is available with (gasp) a stick shift. But for that performance, you have to give up comfort and mileage (not that the Audi & Mercedes are much better). The BMW 7 series feels sluggish too and I actually would buy a Lexus if I was still in the market.

In my opinion, the G8, while having impressive specs is more along the lines of the BMW M3, and Audi S4, I suppose, but without these cars' snooty attitude.

The '09 G8 GT boasts a 6.0 liter, 361 hp motor with a 6 speed auto trans. This one is my ace in the hole, and provided gas prices are reasonable next year, may end up occupying space in my garage.

I hate to disparage such impressive specs, but compared to a Dodge Challenger, which has a definite muscle car look, the G8 looks confused about what it's trying to be. It seems stuck half way between a Honda Accord sedan and a Mitsubishi Eclipse. Actually it looks surprisingly similar to the Nissan Altima, if you ignore the front grille. To me it's just a shrunken Grand Am.

For $35K, I think there's a lot better to be had. For one, I'd take the Challenger over the G8 any day, strictly on looks. Granted, my Saab isn't everybody's cup of tea, and frankly I had to get used to driving something that stiff, but it's grown on me: I've added a spoiler and few other accoutrements and it's a joy to drive. Actually, if I was in the market for a muscle car and not a family sedan, I'd go for a Cobra or Saleen. I drove the latter not too long ago and that had some definite get-up-and-go.

Been a long time since I've gone to Hooters. Maybe there's a Hooters girl there with Daddy issues. :ihih:

Would it kill you to know that I go there on a regular basis? I have a friend who's a mystery shopper, and every time she needs to do a shop there, she doesn't want to go alone - and my wife doesn't mind because it's one of her best friends and she knows I'll behave - lucky me. P.S. stay clear of the crab legs and don't use the ATM in the place, the fees are ridiculous. One more thing: it's not OK to put a 20 in the G-string of your server, even if it's showing - the management is surprisingly conservative, there. Who would have thought?

Rich-n-Texas
09-11-2008, 11:36 AM
I think Audi would like to think of the A8 as being more along the lines of the Mercedes S class and BMW 7 series, and with performance that is supposed to be equally impressive. But somehow, when I test drove it, I didn't get the sense that it was comparable - it seems sluggish and lumbering compared to it's classmates. The BMW 5M, by the way, is very impressive, almost large enough for family and kids, and, if you can find it, is available with (gasp) a stick shift. But for that performance, you have to give up comfort and mileage (not that the Audi & Mercedes are much better). The BMW 7 series feels sluggish too and I actually would buy a Lexus if I was still in the market.

In my opinion, the G8, while having impressive specs is more along the lines of the BMW M3, and Audi S4, I suppose, but without these cars' snooty attitude.
I'm not rich like you (You must be in order to live in Newport :smilewinkgrin: ), but truth be told night, I've never owned anything other than Ford and GM products so I can't remark in good conscience on the virtues of BMW's, Audi's and the like.

I hate to disparage such impressive specs, but compared to a Dodge Challenger, which has a definite muscle car look, the G8 looks confused about what it's trying to be. It seems stuck half way between a Honda Accord sedan and a Mitsubishi Eclipse. Actually it looks surprisingly similar to the Nissan Altima, if you ignore the front grille. To me it's just a shrunken Grand Am.
I think you may have the G8 mixed up with the G6. The G8 has a 114.8" wheelbase (overall length = 196"), curb weight of just about 2 tons and seats 5 people. The Dodge Charger SXT has an overall length of 200", and an Eclipse's overall length is 180". The Challenger SRT8 w/6.1 liter: 175.6", gets 6 mpg fewer on the highway than the 6 liter G8 GT, and has a price tag $10K higher than the G8 GT.

For $35K, I think there's a lot better to be had. For one, I'd take the Challenger over the G8 any day, strictly on looks. Granted, my Saab isn't everybody's cup of tea, and frankly I had to get used to driving something that stiff, but it's grown on me: I've added a spoiler and few other accoutrements and it's a joy to drive. Actually, if I was in the market for a muscle car and not a family sedan, I'd go for a Cobra or Saleen. I drove the latter not too long ago and that had some definite get-up-and-go.
The G8 GT can be had for just over $30K, so I don't know where you get $35K. Obviously, options, dealer markup, incentives... etc, etc etc, will affect the drive-home price. The Saleen is an after-market modification, and if I had the money for a Cobra, I'd buy a vette, which'll smoke a Cobra. Pontiac, at least since the T/A years, has always been about bag-for-the-buck, which is what I'm all about too. Cars AND A/V. :yesnod:

Would it kill you to know that I go there on a regular basis? I have a friend who's a mystery shopper, and every time she needs to do a shop there, she doesn't want to go alone - and my wife doesn't mind because it's one of her best friends and she knows I'll behave - lucky me. P.S. stay clear of the crab legs and don't use the ATM in the place, the fees are ridiculous. One more thing: it's not OK to put a 20 in the G-string of your server, even if it's showing - the management is surprisingly conservative, there. Who would have thought?
I can't afford to eat there on a regular basis. Their wings and beer contain way too many calories. I'll keep in mind though not to slide a $20 into the girls' short next time I do get there. :ihih:

Edit: Did I mention Dodge sits at the bottom Re: Customer satisfaction. :rolleyes:

nightflier
09-12-2008, 11:15 AM
All right, Rich, I won't disagree with anything here. I have to admit, I don't know as much about American muscle cars as I should. I still prefer the looks of the Challenger, though. The G8, not so much, but I can't argue with the bang-for-the-buck argument. To each his own. Regarding the Corvette, I agree it's a hotrod, but it feels much less solid than the Cobra or Saleen. It started to rattle at just over 100mph, maybe I drove the one that fell off the truck.

Regarding Hooters, we always eat for free. You should consider becoming a mystery shopper or get to know someone who is. It's a hoot and it allows you to have a small say in how restaurants are run. Our friend's been doing it for years and she gets free hotel stays, cruises, and airfare, sometimes for her whole family. Hooters, of course isn't for the family, so that's why I get to go - all I have to do is help with the "work," i.e. spot little details from burned out light bulbs to "inappropriate" attire. And I can work very diligently when I have to....

Auricauricle
09-12-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm kinda partial to mah dad's '71 Bronco. 0-60 in 45.2 seconds. White plastic upholstry. Single exhaust. Three on the column. Oh, yeah! Roll down a window and let the good times roll over!

Rich-n-Texas
09-12-2008, 12:26 PM
My Dad had a 1967, Canare yellow Ford Galaxy 500 with a 289. Heavy car wit lottsa balls.

Auricauricle
09-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Sweet ride, that....

nightflier
09-16-2008, 02:40 PM
I just ran into this article. I wonder who's driving that sucker now:

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleId=37566

BTW, here's another car that I wouldn't mind giving a spin. Still not a Detroit muscle car, but definitely in the class of the corvette, albeit probably a bit more expensive:

http://www.lexus.com/fcv/lf_a_roadster.html

Rich-n-Texas
09-24-2008, 07:12 AM
Night Rider! Premiers tonite on NBC! Check local listings for times!!!

:rolleyes: