Bi-amping Pioneer Elite [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bi-amping Pioneer Elite

Jimf
02-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Hi I have in the last few months upgraded my reciever from a Yamaha V596 to a Pioneer Elite VSX82TXS and the difference in sound is amazing. I have B&W 603 S3 mains and was always a bit unsure if I really liked them or was just convincing myself that I did. Now I know I like them. Anyhow they are currently bi-wired and since my new Pioneer has the ability to bi-amp and I will not be going 7.1 I am tempted to bi-amp the B&Ws. Having never bi-amping anything before I am just wondering if it is worth it and will it make much of a difference in sound.Are there any draw backs in bi-amping? Or has any one had any experience bi-amping using any of these components.

Thanks for reading Jim

recoveryone
02-22-2008, 08:05 AM
Since your not going to use the surround element of the AVR then why not? Bi amping is nice and help ensure your speakers are getting a full source of the AVR's power.

gjpham
02-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Since your not going to use the surround element of the AVR then why not? Bi amping is nice and help ensure your speakers are getting a full source of the AVR's power.

The (front) speaker will play but I highly suggest not to do so ( you can experiment and play around with it though). Because its bass, otherwise, will play as a main source and the mid/high will play as a surround source and that would sound sonically akeward. because that front speakers being feeded by 2 diff signals (main and surround) and that is not what bi-amping means. The correct way, IMO, is that it should be 2 power sources (amps) being feeded ONLY from the same signal splitted by a Y connector.

Luvin Da Blues
02-22-2008, 10:27 AM
The (front) speaker will play but I highly suggest not to do so ( you can experiment and play around with it though). Because its bass, otherwise, will play as a main source and the mid/high will play as a surround source and that would sound sonically akeward. because that front speakers being feeded by 2 diff signals (main and surround) and that is not what bi-amping means. The correct way, IMO, is that it should be 2 power sources (amps) being feeded ONLY from the same signal splitted by a Y connector.

I'm sure he can "assign" the surround back channels to the front. I know my Denon has this capability and works great.

Kursun
02-25-2008, 02:57 AM
I have an older Pioneer Elite. Assigning the 6. and 7.th channels as front L & R biamp channels is quite easy through the setup.

CWall99
08-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Yeah, the VSX-82TXS set up menus allow you to re-assign the unused 6th and 7th channels to bi-amp your front left and right mains. It's very easy. Took more time to run the cable than to re-assign the channels. It does NOT try to run the surround channels through fronts (contrary to the one concern posted above). Just be sure to map the left to the left and the right to the right.

I believe it sends the full signal to the speaker and lets the speaker's internal crossover filter out the unnecessary bits. Something like that. Way too technical for me to understand.

Anyhow, I have the B&W DM603 S3s as well, and that's exactly what I did. Make sure you remove the jumpers from the speakers. The difference is spectacular, though. I can play two-channel material at very high levels and there's virtually no distortion or break-up in the music.

Surround material also rocks as the set-up really helps a lot of the detail come out.

captjamo
08-13-2008, 11:27 AM
:thumbsup: If the difference is really that good then I plan to try this when I get back home from offshore. I have 703's and the Pio VSX-92TXH 7.1. Can you steer me any closer to what to do in setup menu? And did you give the 6th and 7th to the high connections or the low or does it matter (all channels being equal)?

winston
08-13-2008, 07:26 PM
:thumbsup: If the difference is really that good then I plan to try this when I get back home from offshore. I have 703's and the Pio VSX-92TXH 7.1. Can you steer me any closer to what to do in setup menu? And did you give the 6th and 7th to the high connections or the low or does it matter (all channels being equal)?
hi captjamo i am sure figured by now however if you havent done it yet its simple but you ha ve to used the menu go to srr back system" menu select the front by-amp setting from the surr back menu. it has three setting default [sb] front by-amp and 2nd zone. when your done with the menu use the surr back spk terminal LR for the lows and the front spk terminal LR highs of your 703" gone by-amping.let us how it sound rgds Winston:16:

captjamo
08-14-2008, 12:32 AM
hi captjamo i am sure figured by now however if you havent done it yet its simple but you ha ve to used the menu go to srr back system" menu select the front by-amp setting from the surr back menu. it has three setting default [sb] front by-amp and 2nd zone. when your done with the menu use the surr back spk terminal LR for the lows and the front spk terminal LR highs of your 703" gone by-amping.let us how it sound rgds Winston:16:

Thanks Winston. Will be letting ya'll know how it goes.