hints and tips for choosing a stereo amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : hints and tips for choosing a stereo amp

diggity
02-18-2008, 12:24 AM
hi all, the title is pretty well self explanatory. i am thinking about putting a stereo only system in my bedroom. so just after some hints on what to look for in a stereo amp. i have been doing a little bit of research but as this is my first venture into stereo amps i would like a few pointers. budget: dont know.. probably up to $1000. this is one of the things i dont know about. should i spend this much, less or more to get decent quality and reliabilty? brands available are: marantz
onkyo
yamaha
pioneer
sony
so any help will be appreciated

cheers: dazza

Feanor
02-18-2008, 05:28 AM
hi all, the title is pretty well self explanatory. i am thinking about putting a stereo only system in my bedroom. so just after some hints on what to look for in a stereo amp. i have been doing a little bit of research but as this is my first venture into stereo amps i would like a few pointers. budget: dont know.. probably up to $1000. this is one of the things i dont know about. should i spend this much, less or more to get decent quality and reliabilty?

Diggity, a couple of fine points: (1) do you listen to radio, in which case a stereo receiver might be better; (2) is physical size a constaint?

If you don't need FM and can tolerate a full-sized unit, someone here at AR, (JohnMichael?), bought recently bought a Onkyo A-9555 and is well pleased.

Don't rule out buying used equipment. Of course there's some risk, but you can get a lot more for your money. For example, (not a specific recommentation), this PS Audio Trio C-100 integrated (http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1207450006) could work well; note it's compact size.

blackraven
02-19-2008, 04:51 PM
If your looking for an integrated amp and not HT also consider units by Cambridge audio and MusicHall. Or even separate amp and pre amp from NAD. If you want a radio you can always add a separate tuner later.

diggity
02-19-2008, 05:12 PM
size i dont think is a problem, although it is going in the bedroom so i dont want something that is going to be massive. being new to stereo i dont understand what people mean by integrated and non-integrated. radio although i might use it once or twice isn't a neccessity.

cheers dazza

pixelthis
02-20-2008, 12:32 AM
size i dont think is a problem, although it is going in the bedroom so i dont want something that is going to be massive. being new to stereo i dont understand what people mean by integrated and non-integrated. radio although i might use it once or twice isn't a neccessity.

cheers dazza

An integrated amp has the power amp and the preamp together.
the preamp being the control center.
just a guess, but Cambridge might be available in your area.
Their HQ is in england, they have an office in Hong Kong where they control their production, which takes place in China.
An integrated amp from these guys would probably be your best bet.
Dont know what your electrical requirements are over there tho, is it 120 like over here?:1:

diggity
02-20-2008, 01:49 AM
nah mate it is 240volts, ill have a look though for this brand. hopefully i can find it.
thanx for clearing that up pix.

blackraven
02-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Cambridge Audio uses 115 and 240volts and it is available in Australia as I saw an Aussie review of the Cambridge 840c CDP. I would look at their 640A, 740A and 840A integrated amps.
www.cambridgeaudio.com

Ajani
02-20-2008, 02:38 PM
Here's an Australian review site that I like to read.... It should give you an idea of highly rated brands available and the local prices...

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/

Mr Peabody
02-20-2008, 10:46 PM
You might find this interesting, if you have access to Onkyo, give a listen. The winner of this shoot out would be perfect for a bedroom unless you have more than one source and a big room.

http://stereomojo.com/SHOOTOUT2007INTEGRATEDS.htm

diggity
02-21-2008, 02:40 AM
thanx for all the links fellas, i have some reading to do

ceers: dazza