Crossover for front mains? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Crossover for front mains?

snodog
02-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Sorry but I am trying to learn...I see alot of people talk about the advantage of biamping and am trying to figure it out. Do you risk damaging your speakers if it is over their maximum power input? It does look like it would be quite a bit over. Also, what is the crossover I see mentioned with mains? I understand with a powered sub but how do you control it with your mains if there is no adjustments on it? I have paradigm monitor 7 for fronts. Is there a comprehensive site that explains this jibberish? It is frustrating ****.

Rich-n-Texas
02-18-2008, 06:21 AM
I don't know what you mean by crossover with the mains snodog, but the first step in bi-amping starts with this question: do you have two sets of connection terminals on the back of each speaker?

Feanor
02-18-2008, 06:38 AM
Sorry but I am trying to learn...I see alot of people talk about the advantage of biamping and am trying to figure it out. Do you risk damaging your speakers if it is over their maximum power input? It does look like it would be quite a bit over. Also, what is the crossover I see mentioned with mains? I understand with a powered sub but how do you control it with your mains if there is no adjustments on it? I have paradigm monitor 7 for fronts. Is there a comprehensive site that explains this jibberish? It is frustrating ****.

But it isn't really all that complicated. First, you won't harm your speakers with an "over powered" amp if you listen at normal levels. More speakers have been damaged driven by under-powered amps driven to clipping than by amps with more power than the speaker's "maximum power" rating.

I believe that you understand one of the issues with biamping: how I control the relative levels of the high- versus low-frequency amplifiers? First, let's first comment on powered subwoofers. All powered subwoofers have a volume control which you set to balance the sub's amp to you main amp, that is, you set the sub's volume once to match level with you mains and ever thereafter you use your main amp's volume control will control both the main speakers and the sub.

If you want to do biamping, you might have to provide volume (gain) control for at least one (more likely both) of you amps in order to balance their levels. Of course, if you use identical amps for both high and low frequency, their sensitivities will be indentical, so a control won't likely be necessary. But part of your rational for biamping will be to use, (as an extreme example), a 30wpc tube amp for the highs and a 500wpc professional amp for the bass, so you'll have to take measures to match their levels.

snodog
02-18-2008, 02:58 PM
RichnTexas, yes my speakers do have both terminals and came with a bridge from top to bottoms.
I will be using the same amp and running two channels of each to the front mains versus two individual units. This way I will have 250 watts as opposed to only 125.
Feanor, perhaps it isn't all that complicated, however reading some people's works can be tedious and confusing.

snodog
02-18-2008, 08:35 PM
This is what I was talking about confusing>>> Explain this to me without it being confusing. I have read both not that adding more power is very noticeable and beneficial to your speakers and that it is only passive biamping and that to really get advantages one must change a crossover using a crossover unit...WTF? Am I wasting my time and money trying to use two channels for each main speaker by splitting the signal with a Y RCA cable and biwiring?

snodog
02-18-2008, 08:35 PM
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=984295

This is the link I was reading

Feanor
02-19-2008, 02:51 AM
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=984295

This is the link I was reading

The answer to Riney's quesiton is Yes. They exist and they work; they are referred to as RCA "Y" connectors. I have used them myself in order to drive a subwoofer with a line-level signal as well as the power amp.

Sorry to be confusing, but you might want to reread my earlier post. You ought to have a grasp the concepts, otherwise stay away from biamping.

snodog
02-19-2008, 10:34 PM
No problem Feanor, I have figured it out.