Cerwin-Vega Sub [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cerwin-Vega Sub

thekid
02-17-2008, 06:41 AM
While thrifting yesterday I came across something interesting. When first walked up to it I thought it was a single Cerwin-Vega speaker but it looked odd and was missing the grill. Then it dawned on me that it was sitting on its side and what I was looking at was a subwoofer. It is actually designed like a little table. You sit it on its legs which are about 4 inches high and it has a single I'd guess 10" down firing driver. I did not see a power cord but I might have missed it, it had spring clip connectors for your other speakers so I am guessing their is an amp in there as well. Nice oak finish with some nicks but pretty big, you would almost have to use it as a side table. I don't need another sub and they wanted $35 for it. Did I pass up anything here? Anyone know anything about it?

johnny p
02-17-2008, 12:25 PM
not sure what model..... mine (which IS used as a table by me!!!) is a Model SUB-150 or whatever it says in my signature....... it's 15" downward firing, and YES has the foot pegs, etc.... it's a BEAST.... for $35, if it was a 10" it would make a nice second sub in a set-up.... but I wouldn't beat yourself up over it (unless you passed up on the 15" one!) No power cord though??? No idea what sub that was then.... it didn't have the cooling grates on it?

thekid
02-17-2008, 01:48 PM
not sure what model..... mine (which IS used as a table by me!!!) is a Model SUB-150 or whatever it says in my signature....... it's 15" downward firing, and YES has the foot pegs, etc.... it's a BEAST.... for $35, if it was a 10" it would make a nice second sub in a set-up.... but I wouldn't beat yourself up over it (unless you passed up on the 15" one!) No power cord though??? No idea what sub that was then.... it didn't have the cooling grates on it?

I think it had grates but I don't think it was the 15" unit.
Place is closed today and it will probably be gone by the time I get by there next week-end. On the off chance it is the larger one how does it sound?

RoadRunner6
02-17-2008, 03:51 PM
It is probably a "passive" sub. It does not have an amp and thus no power cord like an "active" powered sub.

Most of the passive subs are from years ago. They have two sets of speaker connections and a crossover. You run the left and right channel wires from your amp or receiver to it. The crossover sends the low bass to the sub and sends the higher frequencies back out and on to the left and right speaker. The sub and your two main speakers are both driven by your reveiver or amp. There lies the big problem. You are drawing from your main amp to drive the sub. In modern active powered subs the sub has its own dedicated power amp thus leaving the main amp or receiver to drive only the higher frequencies.

RR6

johnny p
02-18-2008, 06:52 AM
as for the larger sub....... I guess it's fine for deep deep deep bass, but musically it's not the best, and I want something a little "tighter" for punch...... so I'm replacing it, just haven't found the one I want yet!