Getting read to buy a new 60 Inch TV [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Getting read to buy a new 60 Inch TV

nikejordan78
02-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Hey guys...i saved up the money to upgrade myself. I wanna get upto 60 Inch but im not sure if should go Plasma or LCD. I was looking at Pioneer Plasma PDP-6010FDHD, Panasonic TH-58PZ700U, or Sony KDFE60A20 60.

Any suggestions??

diggity
02-15-2008, 11:50 PM
hey there, i had to look at the websites to see the specs to see if the models are different to what we have in australia but they look pretty silmilar anyway. i havent seen the pioneer 60" as of yet but i own the pana 50pz700 and like it heaps. i am getting a test pioneer 60" next week so i cant wait to play around with it. because i haven't seen the pioneer yet i dont wanna compare them yet.

but i will tell you a few differences between plasma and lcd to possibly help you out. lcd to start with: an lcd will give you a very bright picture with fantastic clolors. it also has a very good non-glare screen to help with keeping a reflection to a bare minimum in a brightly lit room. very good for game consoles as image burn (a watermark created by a still image left on the screen for a long time) is almost possible.however they aren't much good for sport as the refresh rate( time it takes for the video processor to move an image frrom pixel to pixel) is slower than that of a plasma. also they tend to produce less black detail. so if your watching a dark movie you might notice less black detail ( eg: you wont see pinstripes on a black suit)

plasmas: produce far btter variances in black so you will see much more detail in dark movies. they have a very fast refresh rate so good for sports. viewing angle is much better as well. the downsides are image burn( see above) may be an issue. the watermark will eventually wear off but the panel will never be the same. screen will reflect light and they run hot.

sorry for long post but this is just to help arm yourself with a little bit of info on both technologies. if you would like i can let you know about the pioneer once i am finished with the test unit. but at the end of the day, buy what you think looks good and is a good deal, as all three models are very good.

cheers: dazza

blackraven
02-16-2008, 12:20 AM
If you are going to watch it in a bright room with alot of windows or lights, then definitely go with an LCD because of less glare and reflections. I feel plasma's give a better picture and tend to have better STD def pictures as well. They are better for fast motion too. To me the pictures look more natural but its a close call.

I just bought a 52" Sony LCD XBR4 and wish I could have gone the plasma route (sorry Pix!). But my TV faces 4 huge windows.

RoadRunner6
02-16-2008, 12:30 AM
I still prefer the current plasmas over flat panel LCD's for several reasons including slightly better black level, color accuracy, off angle viewing and no motion blur (better for sports...new LCD's are much better but not equal yet). LCD's are generallly a little brighter (not needed in most situations) and lower power drain (neither a deal maker for me). I feel that the plasma has a natural film like realism for movies that is not quite matched in any LCD's I've seen. Set life projections in the top brands are way beyond normal use. The burn-in issue in the latest generation plasmas is virtually non-existant short of gross abuse. All the newest and best plasmas have several features that pretty much eliminate burn-in and image retention. Use the stretch mode ("just" in the Panasonic) and you won't have any problems with burn-in (caused by the black margins on the side of the screen on 4x3 sources). That Panasonic has the new anti-relective screen.

I don't think the considerably lower priced Sony LCD projection unit you list is in the same class as the Pioneer or Panasonic. Check out the off angle viewing on the Sony. Build and picture quality wise, both the plasmas are superb. The Pioneer is at least $1000 more and 2" larger than the Panasonic. The Panasonic TH-58PX700U is very close if not equal to the Pioneer Kuro and a no brainer choice for me especially with the lower price.

RR6

blackraven
02-16-2008, 01:18 AM
Viewing angle in the Sony LCD XBR's is not even close to being an issue. I can sit 7' back and 15' to the side on my Sony and not have any significant degredation in brightness. Some LCD TV's are worse than others and brightness is a big advantage of the LCD's in a bright room.

BRANDONH
02-16-2008, 07:45 AM
Hey guys...i saved up the money to upgrade myself. I wanna get upto 60 Inch but im not sure if should go Plasma or LCD. I was looking at Pioneer Plasma PDP-6010FDHD, Panasonic TH-58PZ700U, or Sony KDFE60A20 60.

Any suggestions??

I bought this set last weekend.
amazing picture, though not as thin as the sets your looking at but still its only 17" deep.
And compare the power consumption to this unit
This Sony is only 240 watts
the Pannasonic 735 watts

http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=227017&postcount=1

or you can look at it here.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-60-SXRD-Rear-Projection-HDTV-KDS-60A3000/sem/rpsm/oid/190632/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

you wont be disappointed

Rev2Liv
02-23-2008, 01:17 PM
I vote for LCD. Plasma glare gives me headaches. I'm in the same boat you are. Looking for a 57"+ panel. Samsung LN-T5781F LED backlit panel caught my eye, but missed my wallet.

I'm waiting until late 3rd to early 4th quarter to strike. I'm holding out a greater selection of LED backlit panel's and performance improvements.

audio amateur
02-23-2008, 03:51 PM
I'd get an HD projector any day over LCD/plasma

RoadRunner6
02-23-2008, 10:19 PM
That Panasonic has the new anti-relective screen which I understand is very effective.

HD projectors are great but most of us have our home theater systems in living/family/bed rooms that usually aren't totally dark.

RR6

BRANDONH
02-25-2008, 09:16 AM
I don't guess the original poster is all that interested here he has not been back since he posted his question.

nikejordan78
02-26-2008, 05:35 PM
hey guys

thanks for all the input. With your input and some of my own research it seems like plasmas at this point are a better choice than the LCDs. The questions now though is that if should get the pioneer or the panasonic? there is a huge price difference between the two..is it really worth that extra bucks and get the pioneer? Is pioneer that much better than panasonic? And if its really worth it then might as well get the Elite? but damn i dont know if im ready to spend 8K...

nikejordan78
02-26-2008, 05:39 PM
I bought this set last weekend.
amazing picture, though not as thin as the sets your looking at but still its only 17" deep.
And compare the power consumption to this unit
This Sony is only 240 watts
the Pannasonic 735 watts

http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=227017&postcount=1

or you can look at it here.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-60-SXRD-Rear-Projection-HDTV-KDS-60A3000/sem/rpsm/oid/190632/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

you wont be disappointed

For some reason i was leaning more towards Sony TV that i mentioned KDFE60A20 then the plasmas. I went to my local store and loved the TV. But then reading all the reviews, input, and doing my own research i think plasma is a better choice rite now then the LCD. I could be wrong but im just tryin to get the best TV for my money:smile5:

alt4
02-27-2008, 03:08 PM
I bought the Sony KDS 60A3000. Excellent RP TV! Totally happy!

alt4
02-27-2008, 03:10 PM
I did a lot of research on it before I bought which is why I chose this model

L.J.
02-27-2008, 03:20 PM
I bought the Sony KDS 60A3000. Excellent RP TV! Totally happy!

Mods, can we get a drool smilie!

Nice.....I have 60A2000 and love it.

alt4
02-28-2008, 02:58 PM
the thing is though...there will be something better next year and it will already be outdated!!!

alt4
02-28-2008, 02:58 PM
cant keep up with anything audio/video!