New guy here [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New guy here

victemizer
02-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Hello all:

I couldn't find the introduction forum, so I guess I will do it here.

I have looked at the review section of the site for quite a while now, but just found the forum.

I have to admit I am a bit of a caveman when it comes to technology. This all started out (my home audio addiction that is) on a Friday night when I was in my home office goofing around on the net. My neighbor decided he wanted to listen to his country music at ungodly decibels. So loud in fact, that it was a comfortable listening level across the street into the back room of my duplex. Seeing as I am not much of a country fan I decided that I should find a way to protect myself. The next day a co-worker offered me an older 5.1 Pioneer AV receiver. I went right out and bought a set of Boston Acoustic CR series speakers. I figured I had some defense in case he decided to launch another hideous assault against me.

A few weeks after getting my system hooked up it came. "My dog ran away, my wife is fat, ugly, and she doesn't have many teeth". OK... time to suit up! Out comes the AC/DC. Volume up! Fire... Dam! He has more power than me! Back to the drawing board. Perhaps a Martin Logan Dynamo sub will help... Nope still don't have the horse power to keep up.

The same Co worker that gave me the Pioneer receiver offers to sell me his B&K AVR 101. Upgrading already? I ask myself... A few days later another attack... "I am jealous of my sisters boyfriend". ERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

So I purchased the co-worker B&K allowing him to upgrade.

I get the B&K home and hook it up. Then spend the next week playing around with the on screen programing. At this point I think I am finally ready to fend of another attack... "I driiive a rusty truck". Out comes the Metalica... Finally... A stand off!!!

What started as neighborly competition, has turned into an obsession for me. All this started about 2 years ago. Since then I have added Audioquest speaker cables. I would like to upgrade my speakers, CD/DVD player, and TV. I really look forward to reading your reviews and sharing information with you guys.

Vic

P.S. My apologizes if I offended any hillbillies here. I was just kidding :cornut:

blackraven
02-16-2008, 12:12 AM
Welcome to AR! Sounds like you need some serious power-300wpc and a pair of Cerwin Vega speakers. Not great sound but they will play very, very loud. That ought to blow your neighbor away!

victemizer
02-16-2008, 05:35 AM
Funny you mention the Cerwin Vega's... That is what the neighbor has... He is running them off a Dennon 1808 (I think that is the right model). Sounds terrible!

Mr Peabody
02-16-2008, 08:08 AM
Hi and welcome. I wouldn't think the Denon would have all that much power. Unfortunately all the speakers that would be sensitive and give you an advantage would sound like..... well...not so good. Klipsch is about the ost sensitive I'm aware of that is affordable. If you want something reasonably sensitive that still sounds good check out Paradigm. B&W make some pretty good affordable speakers but I feel they are boring compared to the Paradigm.

Did you buy the ML sub new? For sound the ML's are very nice but could get expensive if going for the whole 5.1 package. They have some now that have built in amplification. You can run them right off your preamp outputs. Starting at only $3k :)

If at some point you want to improve your sound quality I'd recommend a dedicated preamp. You already have the power amp. An outboard preamp will generally improve your overall sound by a pretty good margin over a receiver's preamp section. If only stereo use there are good buys on the used market. A good new one could get expensive for true quality. If wanting a surround preamp you can get really good buys used because everyone wants more than 5.1 and the newer technology. It just depends on what you want or need. New will start slightly under $2k for a Rotel and go up from there. There are a couple online companies that sell their own brand, namely Outlaw and Emotiva but I have no personal experience but the prices are good and people seem to talk good about the product.

Excuse me time to spit some backer juice.

victemizer
02-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback. At first I really wanted to blow the neighbor out of the water. Now I really enjoy my time in front of the stereo with a good beer and a cigar, so quality is more important to me. I have been drooling over the B&W 704's for a while now. I just don't have the Benjamin's' to to get them at the moment. My next upgrades should be a DVD player, then television. So the speakers might have to wait for a while.

I did buy the sub new, and I love it. I have heard subs that would bury that little guy, but they cost at least twice as much.

Thanks again

bobsticks
02-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Welcome to the forums. Clearly, you're in this for all the right reasons...:cornut:

blackraven
02-16-2008, 07:06 PM
That ML sub is a great sub. Its one of the best subs under $1k. Very nice tight bass. It has no muddiness and is non ported. I'm not sure why people on this forum don't mention it much. If I ever decide to get another sub, that one or the model above the dynamo, which is servo controlled may be my next sub.