Achromat [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Achromat

emaidel
02-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Just curious: anyone out there got any experience with one of these? I just ordered one for my turntable, and when I get it, I'll report back to all regarding whatever observations I have. In the meantime, if any of you have had experience with this turntable mat, I'd be interested to hear all about them.

I recall a product in the 70's called, "Platter Matter," that is apparently no longer available. It was a rubbery mat that was very dense, and amazingly heavy, but seemed to improve the sound of many a turntable. Hopefully, the Achromat will do likewise.

JohnMichael
02-15-2008, 01:17 PM
I will look forward to your observations on the Achromat. I have considered both the mat and the platter replacement for my Rega. The Funk Firm that created that mat has some interesting ideas and I am also looking at their turntables. The designer used to be involved in the Pink Triangle company that made turntables that had a triangle shaped plinth and glowed pink when turned on.

I owned a Platter Matter years ago. I always thought it deadened the midrange and records would stick to it. When you would lift the record the mat would also lift off but then fall back to the table hopefully missing the arm and cartridge. You did not miss much IMHO.

emaidel
02-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Based on your experience, I'm glad I never bought Platter Matter!

It certainly wouldn't have been the only not so useful turntable/record accessory. Empire once made a record cleaner that was like a clear glue: you smeared this gunk all over your record and let it dry. Then you peeled it off, and "magically," all the dirt in the record groove came off with it. Just one problem: most of the time, it didn't peel off too well, and left large portions stuck on the record. You can just imagine what it sounded like when the stylus tried to "play" a mess of dried-on glop.

emaidel
02-19-2008, 12:18 PM
The Achromat arrived today and I've listened to a few cuts so far. My initial observations are:

more open sound
wider soundstage
better definition
cleaner bass
more high frequency articulation
greater dynamic range

These are my initial impression only, and none of these were particularly dramatic.

I had hoped that whatever improvements the Achromat would provide would equal those I heard when I received the Dual CS-5000 turntable I did several months back. As I stated previously, it's the best sounding turntable I've ever owned, and whether that's due to its proven quartz-locked belt-drive system, or its low mass tonearm with the counterwieght significantly lower than the arm tube, or a combination of all (which is most likely the case), I don't know. Still, hearing things for the first time, particularly on records that were over 30 years old was quite a revelation. I was hoping for the same results with the Achromat, and so far, that's not the case at all.

I'll have to spend a lot more time listening to see just whether or not I'd recommend someone plunk down $100 for a turntable mat. Unfortunately, I've got a case of viral pneumonia right now, and really can't be spending too much time getting up and down replacing records and mats trying to listen to whatever differences there might be.

Once I'm feeling better, I'll do more involved and lengthy listening and provide a more definitive report.

I'm a bit surprised at the fact that the mat seems to be made of MDF, and weighs just about nothing. Even if it does provide a truly significant sonic improvement, $100 for a piece of particleboard, no matter how carefully cut and machined, seems a bit much. Still, that's what the mat appears to be, but from what I've read, it's really not what it is, so I'll just have to accept what I'm told.

One thing is for sure: unless the rest of your system is of top notch quality, it's highly unlikely you'll hear any difference at all. But then, that's pretty much true with a number of items in the audio chain, isn't it?

More later, I promise.

jrhymeammo
04-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Would you care to discuss more on your impression of Achromat?
Or is your TT covered in dust ever since you got your SA8001?

JRA

emaidel
04-15-2008, 03:33 AM
Would you care to discuss more on your impression of Achromat?
Or is your TT covered in dust ever since you got your SA8001?

JRA

I haven't played a single record since I got the SA-8001. JohnMichael was right: my turntable is getting dusty!