It's a long weekend! WOOHOOOO!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : It's a long weekend! WOOHOOOO!!!!

ForeverAutumn
02-15-2008, 06:40 AM
We have a brand new holiday here in Ontario called Family Day. It's just an excuse to have a long weekend in February and was an election promise that our otherwise fairly useless Premiere used to bribe voters in the provincial election last fall.

So, Monday is a holiday! YIPPEEEEEE!!! Unfortunately, we're supposed to get another big snowstorm over Sunday and Monday, so it looks like our new holiday might end up being a snow day anyhow.

What are you all up to this weekend? Anything exciting planned?

audio amateur
02-15-2008, 06:54 AM
Well most of us probably will only a have a two day w-e. Lucky you! this semester i don't have any classes on friday so it's always a 3 days w-e:D
I'm about to go visit my sis. So looking forward to that. On top of that she just got a BMW hehe can't wait!
Have a good one

Rich-n-Texas
02-15-2008, 06:55 AM
We're supposed to get rain all weekend, which is okay by me. I have an excuse now to not do any yardwork. Last weekend the temps climbed into the low 80's IIRC, so I felt guilty about not getting outside and trimming the bushes.

I've been working diligently at getting my media room reconfigured, which is something I've enjoyed doing up to this point, so I'll be spending more time in the attic getting wiring in place. And the Daytona 500 is Sunday so I'll sit in front of the TV and watch some of that.

Oh yeah, I gotta get beer too! :thumbsup:

GMichael
02-15-2008, 07:13 AM
We're supposed to get rain all weekend, which is okay by me. I have an excuse now to not do any yardwork. Last weekend the temps climbed into the low 80's IIRC, so I felt guilty about not getting outside and trimming the bushes.

I've been working diligently at getting my media room reconfigured, which is something I've enjoyed doing up to this point, so I'll be spending more time in the attic getting wiring in place. And the Daytona 500 is Sunday so I'll sit in front of the TV and watch some of that.

Oh yeah, I gotta get beer too! :thumbsup:

Yardwork? Our yard in under the snow. Not much to do there. But we may end up trimming a bush anyhow.

Rich-n-Texas
02-15-2008, 07:15 AM
Yardwork? Our yard in under the snow. Not much to do there. But we may end up trimming a bush anyhow.
Don't go there!!! :mad5:

GMichael
02-15-2008, 07:19 AM
Don't go there!!! :mad5:

You may want to throw a little cold water on that bud.

Rich-n-Texas
02-15-2008, 07:21 AM
What do you think I do EVERY MORNING???

GMichael
02-15-2008, 07:32 AM
I don't really think about that much. :smilewinkgrin:

ForeverAutumn
02-15-2008, 07:41 AM
What do you think I do EVERY MORNING???

So we know what Rich is doing this week-end (far too much information BTW). :nonod:

Rich-n-Texas
02-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Hey, I was fine with talking about the weekend until GM tried to steer the thread into perv land.:yesnod:

GMichael
02-15-2008, 08:08 AM
Ihad help with that.

L.J.
02-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Chillin' with the family, maybe do a little shopping. My wife and I had a 10 year anniv. party so we have a ton of gift cert. to use :)

Oh, she's been dropping some "yard needs work" hints too. I hate yard work :incazzato:

I'm gonna try to watch Bourne Ultimatum. I needed to watch the first 2 over again and just finished the 2nd one last night.

kexodusc
02-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Damn them Upper Canadians, always rockin' the boat.

Geez, why couldn't ya be like the rest of us and phone in a sick day in the middle of February. Dalton have think this up all by himself, or was there another province that did it first?

Oh well, enjoy your day off FA, but don't get too carried away. And someone there should really tell the Leafs to get back to work, they've been on holidays since October...:lol:

GMichael
02-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Chillin' with the family, maybe do a little shopping. My wife and I had a 10 year anniv. party so we have a ton of gift cert. to use :)

Oh, she's been dropping some "yard needs work" hints too. I hate yard work :incazzato:

I'm gonna try to watch Bourne Ultimatum. I needed to watch the first 2 over again and just finished the 2nd one last night.

Congrats LJ! Happy tenth.

ForeverAutumn
02-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Damn them Upper Canadians, always rockin' the boat.

Geez, why couldn't ya be like the rest of us and phone in a sick day in the middle of February. Dalton have think this up all by himself, or was there another province that did it first?

Oh well, enjoy your day off FA, but don't get too carried away. And someone there should really tell the Leafs to get back to work, they've been on holidays since October...:lol:

Alberta did it first. Do you really think that Dalton could have an original thought? Not bloody likely. I can't believe he was re-elected. :incazzato: As for the holiday, not everyone is happy about it. Companies have to pay employees for a day of no productivity. They have to pay overtime for those who work. In some companies they took away other holiday days, like float days, to make up for the new holiday. I was lucky, my company is just closing and we get an extra day off. But not everyone is that lucky.

As for the Leafs, well...not much left to say I guess. :nonod: We'll just have to wait and see what Fletcher does to shake things up before the trade deadline. As long he leaves Mats alone, he can go hog wild on the rest of the team as far as I'm concerned.

I'm off to watch the Rock play the Buffalo Bandits tonight. The Rock's coach (Glen Clark) was suspended by the league about a month ago for allegedly decking a Minnesota player after the game. The player had been ejected from the game for fighting and was in his street clothes standing around the Rock dressing room when they came off the field. So tell me that he didn't do something to instigate the beating...not that that makes what Clark did okay. Anyway, the player charged Clark with assault and the league suspended him while they investiged. The police dropped the charges a couple of weeks ago and the league reinstated him earlier this week. Tonight is his first game back behind the bench. I'm willing to bet he gets a standing ovation by the fans and that the team will be totally fired up and ready to win. Buffalo is always a fun team to watch anyway.

On Monday I'm having lunch with one of my best friends from high school. We lost touch after school and were just recently reunited. I haven't seen her in about 25 years. It should be an interesting lunch.

Rich-n-Texas
02-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Congrats LJ! Happy tenth.
Here here!!! :thumbsup:

bobsticks
02-15-2008, 04:33 PM
As for the Leafs, well...not much left to say I guess. :nonod: We'll just have to wait and see what Fletcher does to shake things up before the trade deadline. As long he leaves Mats alone, he can go hog wild on the rest of the team as far as I'm concerned.

Word on the street is that Fletcher tried to trade Mats and a second round draft pick for Mike Zigomanis and time-share rights to a zamboni from the San Antonio Rampage. Phoenix balked. Then he had a go at Bates Battaglia before Batts agent reminded him he already played in the big T.

bobsticks
02-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Congrats on the tenth, L.J.

L.J.
02-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Thanks guys!

thekid
02-16-2008, 03:48 AM
Congrats on the 10th LJ. My wife tells me that with the divorce rate everything has like doubled so 10 is the new 20. Sad state of affairs I guess, especially when I look back at my G-parents who were married for 70.

We will be celebrating our 21st in a few months so tell me how you work that whole gift certificate thing....... :)

Actually my w-e will be spent doing the thrift tour with my teenage son hoping I stumble upon a hidden gem, salivating at the prospect that my DAC gets delivered a couple of days early and praying that these back spasms I have had for the last 2 days will go away!!

bobsticks
02-16-2008, 05:39 PM
What are you all up to this weekend? Anything exciting planned?

The end of the week brought on a new project that went south almost immediately after the papers were signed. I hate conference rooms and I don't much care for being interrupted so bizoids can answer their cellphones. I consider myself an outsider and not at all part of their culture.

Today I was fired three times, quit more times than that, allegedly commited a variety of personal torts, had one Slickback fired and one reassigned...and now have but a one day weekend before starting work as outlined in the original contract. I'm always amazed at how a group of poncy-assed little twerps can't differentiate between leaning on someone and wasting their time. It also amazes me that they think you'll play the fall guy and abuse your people, take operationally unsound shortcuts, and blatantly ignore state and federal codes just 'cause they surround you in their "I'm-working-on-my-off-day-Dockers" with their powerpoint displays. Blow me.

Rant over.

NP: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/63/Soundgarden_-_Badmotorfinger.jpg/200px-Soundgarden_-_Badmotorfinger.jpg

thekid
02-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Bobsticks

Sounds like a bad weekend but look on the bright side there is always Monday....... :)

JohnMichael
02-17-2008, 08:11 AM
Congratulations LJ on ten years of wedded bliss.

By the time I am able to be legally married I will be too old to live for ten years of marriage.:D

Congratulations bobsticks for being a man of integrity. Of course integrity will keep you out of politics.

My long weekend starts on Monday. For the past 3+ years I have been staying with a man with Alzheimer's disease seven nights a week. Other than the occasional night off and short vacation I have clocked a lot of hours. As the disease has progressed he has become very aggressive/abusive. His family has decided he is more than one person can handle. After being kicked and punched I was beginning to agree. Before this stage he was very kind and gentle and just needed verbal assisitance and some physical assitance. This has been a great experience and a good learning opportunity. Most of the time the job was relaxing and was a nice change after years in middle management. I will still vistit him and have mixed emotions about him going to a nursing home. I am also looking forward to a more normal life. I look forward to where life and employment takes me next.

thekid
02-17-2008, 08:53 AM
JohnMichael

I am sure his family has appreciated all of your effort and care over the last 3 years. Hats off to you for hanging in there, it is not the kind of work alot people are willing to do even though there is a big need for it.

ForeverAutumn
02-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Congratulations LJ on ten years of wedded bliss.

By the time I am able to be legally married I will be too old to live for ten years of marriage.:D

Congratulations bobsticks for being a man of integrity. Of course integrity will keep you out of politics.

My long weekend starts on Monday. For the past 3+ years I have been staying with a man with Alzheimer's disease seven nights a week. Other than the occasional night off and short vacation I have clocked a lot of hours. As the disease has progressed he has become very aggressive/abusive. His family has decided he is more than one person can handle. After being kicked and punched I was beginning to agree. Before this stage he was very kind and gentle and just needed verbal assisitance and some physical assitance. This has been a great experience and a good learning opportunity. Most of the time the job was relaxing and was a nice change after years in middle management. I will still vistit him and have mixed emotions about him going to a nursing home. I am also looking forward to a more normal life. I look forward to where life and employment takes me next.

You're living in the wrong country my friend, move north. Then invite me to your wedding. :)

JohnMichael, the more I learn about you the more I realize what a kind soul you must be. I would never have the patience to look after someone with Alzheimer's.

GMichael
02-18-2008, 07:08 AM
Why is it that here in the US, we have to work on Presidents Day but Canadians have off for...? for...? What was the reason again? Just to have another day off?

ForeverAutumn
02-18-2008, 08:29 AM
It's a Provincial holiday, not Federal. And was used as a bribe to get votes by a useless politician who couldn't get them any other way.

It's kind of a dumb holiday, because it's not considered a Statutory holiday (employers don't HAVE to abide), it's estimated that 40% of the population will still have to work today. Retails stores and malls are open and employees who work don't have to be paid holiday wages (usually time and a half).