Any good online retailers out there? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any good online retailers out there?

kexodusc
03-04-2004, 10:11 AM
A co-worker is looking to buy a cheap receiver, and isn't too worried about the warranty. He says he's got $400 US to spend, and wants it to go as far as it can. He's ready to take a chance on warranty issues and asked me if I knew any good e-tailers that sell receivers.
The only one I could think of was Etronics. He'd like to stick with Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo or Marantz.
Is there anything else out there...thanks.

(Note this will be the "hatrick" for me if he buys on-line...this site has given me recommendations that have led to an RX-V1300, and Ed Frias speaker kit being purchased by friends/relatives).

cashlz
03-04-2004, 11:35 AM
I have had extremely good luck with crutchfield, and especially with their outlet items (which also carry the full manufacturers warranty). I recently bought a denon avr 1803 through the outlet, had problems, returned it and they replaced it with a brand new 1804 no questions asked. Might be worth a look.

Bryan
03-04-2004, 11:38 AM
http://www.jandr.com and http://www.6ave.com are a couple other reputable ones.

Swerd
03-04-2004, 11:41 AM
A co-worker is looking to buy a cheap receiver, and isn't too worried about the warranty. He says he's got $400 US to spend, and wants it to go as far as it can. He's ready to take a chance on warranty issues and asked me if I knew any good e-tailers that sell receivers.
The only one I could think of was Etronics. He'd like to stick with Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo or Marantz.
Send him to PriceGrabber http://www.pricegrabber.com/index.php/ut=80e758058f37ddc3
Follow the links for Consumer Electronics . . . Audio . . . Receivers. There you can specify a variety of choices such as manufacturer or maximum price, and you will get a list of receivers that fit your search. Click on any one item on the list to see another list of e-tailers and their respective prices. You can even provide a zip code and see the shipping charges. It is easy to see who has the best online prices. For what its worth, e-tailers are even rated by past buyers.

Before buying be sure to read an e-tailer's return policy and find out whether they are selling new unopened boxes with manufacturer's USA warranty. If they fail to mention these details, assume the worst case.

Worf101
03-04-2004, 08:30 PM
I've had very good results with Audio Advisor.com. They're knowledgable, ship fast. Offer great deals on demo stuff, that's how I got my rack downstairs and I think they outstandingly honest.

Nothing but good things to say about em and I'm NOT that easy to please...

Da Worfster :o

kexodusc
03-05-2004, 04:28 AM
Thanks again, fellas.

I'm starting to feel dated now, even the Worf-meister has shopped on-line!!! :)

I've passed on all the advice, I guess we'll see what he ends up with.
I feel a bit guilty, these friendly forums have my friends believing I'm some sort of audio-guru!!! :)

CyberStoic
03-05-2004, 05:23 AM
I saw Etronics.com mentioned, but personally I would avoid them. Etronics is one of those places that *if* anything goes wrong you are up the proverbial creek. Read their return policy carefully.

In my case, despite their claims that they only sell unopened, new, merchandise, they sent me my subwoofer without papers, with cosmetic damage, and with the styrofoam inside the box retaped. All of which spells display item or customer return.

Add to the fact they it takes 30 to 40 minutes before anyone answers the phone, they are rude, no one seems to know anything about returns, don't return emails, and wanted to charge a restocking fee because the box was opened and papers missing just added insult to injury.

Good luck

(Note this will be the "hatrick" for me if he buys on-line...this site has given me recommendations that have led to an RX-V1300, and Ed Frias speaker kit being purchased by friends/relatives).

Laps
03-05-2004, 08:16 AM
Another thumbs up for Audio Advisor.

Worf101
03-05-2004, 10:56 AM
Thanks again, fellas.

I'm starting to feel dated now, even the Worf-meister has shopped on-line!!! :)

I've passed on all the advice, I guess we'll see what he ends up with.
I feel a bit guilty, these friendly forums have my friends believing I'm some sort of audio-guru!!! :)

Truth be told, I've been buying online from the very beginning. I built my last puter from scratch (thanks NewEgg.com) and was an "early adopter" of the internet. That means BEFORE AOL ever existed.

So as James said "I can dig the new breed thang..."

Da Worfster
:D

ipodstudio
03-14-2004, 02:52 AM
If it has anything to do with headphones (yes, amps too) Headroom at:

http://headphone.com/layout.php

are great. Good prices, great service and they're enthusiasts who make alot of the gear they sell. I've no connection, just a happy customer.