Alternatives to Martin Logan's Sweet Spot? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Martin Logan's Sweet Spot?

Radials Rule
02-14-2008, 10:01 AM
I have had my eye on ML Aerius or maybe one more up the line. When I first heard them, I fell in love with sound. However, most of the reviews say there's only one ideal listening spot. Are there other speakers similar to ML's but, with a wider "sweet spot"?

Ajani
02-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Try Final Sound Electrostats... I haven't compared them directly with the ML Aerius, but from my audition of a pair of Final Sound 400i, they seemed to have a wide sweetspot...

topspeed
02-14-2008, 12:01 PM
If you're in love with planars, beaming is a problem until you start getting to the big boys. Sound Lab's curved array is supposed to address this problem, although I've not heard a pair. Try pm'ing E-stat, a moderator here at AR, as he has Sound Labs. You might also consider pm'ing Florian or Geoffcin (another mod at AR), the former has Apogee's, the latter big Maggies. All are very well schooled in 'stats and planers.

Panels aren't really my thing, one of the reasons being the problem you posed.

Hope this helps.

basite
02-14-2008, 12:30 PM
I find that ML's have a quite wide soundstage, and wide dispersion. If you can't find the sweet spot you're looking for with ML's, you should look at things like soundlab panels, or things like that. ML is one of the wider sounding speakers (in their genre).

GMichael
02-14-2008, 12:49 PM
I think that the ML's (as well as the Soundlabs) have the widest sweet spots of this type of speaker.
Have you tried any of the hybrids?

Radials Rule
02-14-2008, 01:25 PM
I think that the ML's (as well as the Soundlabs) have the widest sweet spots of this type of speaker.
Have you tried any of the hybrids?

I'm not familiar with hybrids. Do you have any recommendations as to which ones to research?

I'm not dead set on planars. I am open minded to speakers with traditional drivers if they can get close to quickness, openness, transparency, sense of being there, etc as ML's.

Also, I am looking for used speakers and would like to spend no more than 3k-ish.

As for all of the other suggestions, thank you!

GMichael
02-14-2008, 02:17 PM
There are a few others out there that I am not that familiar with. The Strata Minis are the ones that I have. At under $2k, they are a great deal. There was a review out there where someone with $10k ML's compared them to his own. Of coarse the ML's won, but the Minis were far too close for him to dismiss as inferior. They even do a few thing better than the ML's do. The company has a 30 day return policy if you find that they are not your cup of tea. They have other speakers as well. Maybe you could poke around this forum and ask a few questions. Tell them what you are looking for and many people will come to help and even let you come over to hear what they have. http://av123forum.com/

Here are the Mini's.

http://av123.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=18&Itemid=37

They have an open box available here:
http://av123.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=16&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=203&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37&vmcchk=1&Itemid=37

Mr Peabody
02-14-2008, 07:06 PM
ML has a new pair of amplified speakers that cost about $3k new, they sound very good. Going used, and if you have the room, I'd suggest the SL3's or ReQuest's. The Aeries are nice but the bass roll off is apparent. You'd need a sub to get a full response.

Actually, ML's are considered hybrids, it just means they have a panel as well as utilizing a dynamic driver. ML's use a dynamic driver for the low end. Their newer speakers show they have been doing their home work and building some very nice bass modules. As well as a better bass response they also are more seamless in the frequency response.

There are many good sounding box speakers, ML's may have their weaknesses but you aren't going to find a box speaker to sound like they do either. Each technology has their pro's and con's. Match a pair of ML's with a good tube system and you have a midrange you will get lost in.

E-Stat
02-14-2008, 08:27 PM
I have had my eye on ML Aerius or maybe one more up the line. When I first heard them, I fell in love with sound. However, most of the reviews say there's only one ideal listening spot. Are there other speakers similar to ML's but, with a wider "sweet spot"?
As a long term electrostatic fancier, I feel your pain. Yes, the Sound Lab models have excellent dispersion (up to 90 degrees), but are quite a bit more expensive. Having said that, I lived quite happily with Acoustats for many years which beamed a good bit. The M-Ls may not be party speakers, but many folks are seduced by their purity and relatively compact size.

rw

Peter_Klim
02-15-2008, 08:41 PM

Are you saying that when you actually listend to them that they sound gooded to you but because of the reviews you don't like them? Or did you just not try listening outside the one ideal listening spot?

What I've noticed is that the ML's sound better in the sweet spot than outside, but even outside they sound much better than speakers at comparable prices (both in and out of the sweet spot). I know from personal experience and sold my convential speakers a month later (I already owned a set of ReQuest for 2CH but wanted to upgrade my HT system so I got some Dali's, then sold them and got some more used MLs @ 1/6 the retail price!).

And yes, like someone else posted, a larger ML will have a larger sweet stop. Go used and you can average about 50% or more off the retail price (even more so for older MLs).

ML does sell non electrostatic speakers too that are very good but with a much wider sweet spot. They use ATF technology for the highs (Advanced Thin Film technology -kinda like a ribbon). It's the Montage and Mirage along with center and surrounds that also uses the ATF technology, as well as in wall mounts. My friend just bought some and for the money they sound fantastic!

ML has a fan forum that I highly recommend you check out where you can ask a ton of very knowledgable, experienced and friendly members for their help.

Good luck!

Radials Rule
02-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Are you saying that when you actually listend to them that they sound gooded to you but because of the reviews you don't like them? Or did you just not try listening outside the one ideal listening spot?

I listened to them and was taken with the sound. I said to myself that I would love to get some of these whenever I can afford them. At the time, I didn't know enough to move around the room. It is from the reviews that I learned of the limited sweet spot, not through experience.

Thank you for the suggestions! With just a quick Google search I found the Martin Logan Club (http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/) . Is this the forum you were talking about?

Thank you to everyone!:)

bobsticks
02-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Do what I did. Get a used set of SL3s and get 'em reworked. New panels only cost about four hundred dollars and you get a much better speaker than the Aerius without paying the premium for new Summits.

Feanor
02-16-2008, 06:30 PM

I'm not necessarily recommending them, but Newform Research make a non-dipole ribbon speaker with wide dispersion ...
http://www.newformresearch.com/

Mr Peabody
02-16-2008, 08:02 PM
The Newforms look interesting. They could stand to beef up the website with a bit more detail/information.

Peter_Klim
02-17-2008, 08:17 PM
I listened to them and was taken with the sound. I said to myself that I would love to get some of these whenever I can afford them. At the time, I didn't know enough to move around the room. It is from the reviews that I learned of the limited sweet spot, not through experience.

Thank you for the suggestions! With just a quick Google search I found the Martin Logan Club (http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/) . Is this the forum you were talking about?

Thank you to everyone!:)

Yep, you found it!

Someone there recently asked the same question you had and I reponded there too. My user ID is the same there as it is here.

I would also suggest you taking a listen to them again, but this time listening to the sweet spot and outside of it. Only you can decide if its good for you. Good luck!