How do I connect an equalizer? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How do I connect an equalizer?

sostafari
02-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Hi,

Sorry for what's probably a dumb question, but I just got an EQ that I would like to hook up to my stereo receiver. I play my TV, PHONO and CD's through it and want to connect the EQ so I can adjust all of these inputs. Any help on how to run the cables is appreciated!

Woochifer
02-12-2008, 10:29 AM
If your receiver has a tape monitor switch, the simplest hook up is to run the tape output through the EQ's audio input, and run the EQ's audio output into the tape input. Whenever you want to use the EQ, you switch on the tape monitor.

Otherwise, you'll need to check on whether your receiver has a premain input or other hook up for an external preamp or other external audio control device.

Absent either of these input/output combos, your EQ is only good to control one device at a time. i.e., pick whether you want to attach the EQ to your CD player or TV input (forget about hooking an EQ directly into a turntable, because it requires a phono input).

sostafari
02-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Yes, I have a tape monitor switch. I knew it had something to do with that. Much appreciated.