My new (old) Mid-Fi Set-up Pics [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My new (old) Mid-Fi Set-up Pics

thekid
02-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Okay as promised (threatened...) here are some photos of the new set-up I have been bugging you all about over the last couple of weeks. I have a MSB Link III Dac on the way and probably need a speaker upgrade in the future but for now the RTR's are surprisingly good with the increased power coming from the Kenwood M-1D.

At Mr.Peabody's advice I just finished A/B the RTR's with my Infinity Reference 2000.4 and both my wife and I agreed the RTR's were the clear winner. Just more detailed than the Infinity's though the Infinity's were pretty good on the vocals. Best way for me to put it is that the RTR's put you in the same room as the band and the Infinity's are like you are standing in the door way looking in at the band.

Just to recap what is there;

Kenwood KT-7500 Tuner
Kenwood C-1 Pre-Amp
Kenwood M-1D Power Amp
Teac EQA-5 Graphic Equalizer
Marantz CD-63SE CD Player
Dual 1019 Turntable
Onkyo TA-RW303 Cassette Deck
RTR Series IV C Speakers
MSB Link III DAC (not pictured but on the way)

I know this does not compare to what most of you have here but you got admit it is definite step up from budget Bose and Sony HT set-ups..... :cornut:

Thanks again to all who responded to my posts and I am sure there will be more once the DAC gets in.

Jimmy C
02-12-2008, 06:07 AM
...was Radio Shack's electronics supplier at one time. The styling on that tuner looks VERY similar to my first receiver, the Realistic STA-110.

That's probably from the early 80s, right?

O'Shag
02-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Nice one Kid. I like the record player. This system means business..

thekid
02-12-2008, 03:58 PM
...was Radio Shack's electronics supplier at one time. The styling on that tuner looks VERY similar to my first receiver, the Realistic STA-110.

Close but the tuner is circa 1978
The other components as as near as I can tell are as follows;

Kenwood KT-7500 Tuner- 1978
Kenwood C-1 Pre-Amp- late 80's
Kenwood M-1D Power Amp- late 80's (actually the owner sent me the orginal receipt from 1989)
Teac EQA-5 Graphic Equalizer 1978
Marantz CD-63SE CD Player 1994
Dual 1019 Turntable 1968
Onkyo TA-RW303 Cassette Deck 1991
RTR Series IV C Speakers 1982
MSB Link III DAC (not pictured but on the way) Brand New

So while it is certainly not all vintage I certainly have all the last 4 decades covered. Of course being a budget minded guy the total cost at this point is just under $700.

O'Shaq

Thanks!
I again owe a lot to the members here for their encouragement and advice.

pixelthis
02-13-2008, 02:01 AM

Pioneer was the shacks OEM.
The first half decent receiver I got was from them, after I sold it to a brother of a friend
it lasted twenty years:1: